Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-11-2008   #141
BigWig
Bigimus Wigimus

Rep Power: 1266 BigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What happens to sundays game if Ike comes??

Greg, I know you know whats best but the longer you wiat the worse that road thing will get. Good luck, and keep us posted.
BigWig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008   #142
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 69042 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWig View Post
One thing to consider also isnt Htwon mainly below sea level?
From my years of growing up in Bellaire it would flood like crazy, bayous would overflow, and we ould just ride the waves behind a big truck.
If this storm is cat 3 or 4 Htown could be in for some serious issues.
No - most of Houston is slightly above sea-level including downtown (50 ft) and Bellaire (43 ft). There may be areas that are close to being at sea-level, but we aren't below it as parts of New Orleans are.
Old 09-11-2008   #143
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEYE SUX View Post
I'm sorry if this comes of as being insensitive, but grow a sack. Most of us have lived on the coast for all our lives. What happened with Katrina sucked but we have faced so many hurricane warnings and threats that it is just a part of end-of-summer. Yes Katrina was bad and Ike looks bad as well but we can't act like the sky is falling on every single storm that may come within 200 miles of us. If you don't like it MOVE AWAY FROM THE COAST
your instincts were right. it was insensitive.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008   #144
Heath Shuler
worst 2 1st

Section: 521
Rep Power: 49149 Heath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm sorry if this comes of as being insensitive, but grow a sack. Most of us have lived on the coast for all our lives. What happened with Katrina sucked but we have faced so many hurricane warnings and threats that it is just a part of end-of-summer. Yes Katrina was bad and Ike looks bad as well but we can't act like the sky is falling on every single storm that may come within 200 miles of us. If you don't like it MOVE AWAY FROM THE COAST
That sure is easy to say sitting in Austin. I am sad that you are a Texans fan and I share anything in common with you.

The Highwaymen
Heath Shuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008   #145
hobie
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 5549 hobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I guess this was a reply to my post....I will address it now.
First, you live in Austin, sir, thats not the coast...look at the map.
Second, hurricane warnings and threats, indeed, but this one IS coming this time.
Did I say the sky was falling? Nope, I said losing the game would not be a big deal, other things are of more concern.
If we don't like it, MOVE AWAY...What are you, on drugs? When did I or anyone else even say we can't handle it, woe is us...
You have your opinions, and like most of us on here, none of us really give a rats about you or them...so, enjoy your nice weekend in Austin, me and the others here in Houston will hunker down and ride this out. See, we don't talk shit to others when something bad is about to happen..So I hope you have a good weekend, watch some football and get drunk...I am going to worry about the people here first, football is a game that can be missed..

Insensitive..not at all..IDIOTIC is more the line !!
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008   #146
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 82834 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Oh no, that's not insensitive at all. In fact, I thought you were Mother Theresa when I first read this post.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008   #147
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWig View Post
One thing to consider also isnt Htwon mainly below sea level?
From my years of growing up in Bellaire it would flood like crazy, bayous would overflow, and we ould just ride the waves behind a big truck.
If this storm is cat 3 or 4 Htown could be in for some serious issues.
As others have said, most of Houston proper is above sea level and 50 miles inland. By the time a cat 4 storm crawls over 50 miles of land a considerable amount of its power will be drained. New Orleans was trashed by floodwaters because a fair portion of that city IS below sea level.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-11-2008   #148
Daravenator
Veteran

Rep Power: 3743 Daravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope the game is played either on-time, or the next day as MNF, in Houston. Losing a home game would suck.

Regardless, I hope all you guys, your families and your property make it through Ike unscathed. We can get some tropical storms and hurricanes in Maryland, including some that produce a lot of flooding if the storm surge comes straight up the Chesapeake (like Isabel in 2003) or that bring torrential rains that fall over the Susquehanna River drainage basin that empties in the Bay (like Agnes in '72). But we rarely get winds over 70 mph. We just got hit by TS Hanna last week and it was a sissy storm. Good thing, as these massive 85'-90' red and white oaks in my yard wouln't take kindly to winds like Ike's!

Batten down the hatches and be safe! Life is more important than football.
Daravenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008   #149
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I will not be able to make if it is on Monday night, but am prepared to drive to Houston on Sunday no matter the conditions. My concern is the traffic going back to Houston.

All I can do is hope for the best. Y'all be smart, this is not your first time to the rodeo.
Old 09-11-2008   #150
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Says the guy who was 5 y.o. when Alicia rolled through and now lives some 200 miles inland...
Old 09-11-2008   #151
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
I will not be able to make if it is on Monday night, but am prepared to drive to Houston on Sunday no matter the conditions. My concern is the traffic going back to Houston.

All I can do is hope for the best. Y'all be smart, this is not your first time to the rodeo.
Same thing here. I'm driving from South texas on Sunday if the game is not postponed. The Storm should pass by then but I hope the Highways are drivable.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008   #152
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

Did everyone get their supplies? I went yesterday on my lunch break and got stuff for the wife & daughter. I'm going to have to work through this thing (water utilities), so they will be on their own. I'm pretty concerned about that, actually, very concerned. I took out cash for her, bought them a lot of canned food and other items, I bought a 2 burner camp stove and 6 bottles of propane, plenty of water, gast tanks are filled, etc. I still feel like I'm forgetting something though. Anyways, I hope all of you guys/gals are prepared already, it's going to be tough to find those essential items today.

That's pretty much it, hope all of you guys will be safe. I'll keep you all in my prayers and I would appreciate it if you all would say a little prayer for the safety of my wife & daughter. Good luck to you all.
Cjeremy635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008   #153
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjeremy635 View Post
Did everyone get their supplies? I went yesterday on my lunch break and got stuff for the wife & daughter. I'm going to have to work through this thing (water utilities), so they will be on their own. I'm pretty concerned about that, actually, very concerned. I took out cash for her, bought them a lot of canned food and other items, I bought a 2 burner camp stove and 6 bottles of propane, plenty of water, gast tanks are filled, etc. I still feel like I'm forgetting something though. Anyways, I hope all of you guys/gals are prepared already, it's going to be tough to find those essential items today.

That's pretty much it, hope all of you guys will be safe. I'll keep you all in my prayers and I would appreciate it if you all would say a little prayer for the safety of my wife & daughter. Good luck to you all.
I did.... Man was Specs crowded!!
Old 09-11-2008   #154
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I did.... Man was Specs crowded!!
lol....I'd be joining the part if I didn't have to work! On the other hand, I'm gonna like the O.T.
Cjeremy635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008   #155
hobie
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 5549 hobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjeremy635 View Post

I will say a prayer for them..You say you feel as if you forgot something, well sometimes thinking too much is more of a bad thing if it makes sense..I'm sure you have taken care of all of the needed things, and that they can ride it out ok.. These next few days I am sure this place will be quiet, so I want to wish you all a safe few days and may we all come back here Sunday with no problems...
See ya'll on the other side !!!
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008   #156
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 54609 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Another good thing to have is a phone that plugs into the phone line, not just cordless phones. If the power goes out they still work, if the phone lines are ok. Cell towers get knocked out, we didn't have cell service for a couple of days during Allison.
Old 09-11-2008   #157
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70215 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
As others have said, most of Houston proper is above sea level and 50 miles inland. By the time a cat 4 storm crawls over 50 miles of land a considerable amount of its power will be drained. New Orleans was trashed by floodwaters because a fair portion of that city IS below sea level.
I live substantially inland. The windspeed calculator is suggesting that we may get +80 mile an hour winds.

The problem with the Bayou City is that a signficant storm surge will prevent the bayous and other bodies of water from draining. Early reports suggest that this storm may move quickly so rain fall totals might not be big. We need to hope that is right.

I don't see how they can have the game on Sunday. If you were the Ravens, would you want to send your team here this weekend?
Old 09-11-2008   #158
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post
Another good thing to have is a phone that plugs into the phone line, not just cordless phones. If the power goes out they still work, if the phone lines are ok. Cell towers get knocked out, we didn't have cell service for a couple of days during Allison.

Great point and one often overlooked. We've got a "bear sitting on a log" phone that plugs into the wall. We break him out for special occasions like this.

Also, should cell towers get overloaded and voice calls aren't possible text messaging becomes a viable alternative. They may run slower but you've got a good chance of them getting through.... at least that was relayed to me.
Old 09-11-2008   #159
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

I wonder what Bob's plywood bill would look like for Reliant...

Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008   #160
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30856 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaft75 View Post
I wonder what Bob's plywood bill would look like for Reliant...

No mater what it is, I think he can afford it.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read