Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-10-2008   #121
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 53673 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What happens to sundays game if Ike comes??

Well, it's not looking good. The updated forecast has Ike as a Category 4 hurricane on Friday and has it coming on shore around Victoria and moving north from there. I'm officially concerned about this game being played at all anywhere near Houston Sunday or Monday.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008   #122
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Well, it's not looking good. The updated forecast has Ike as a Category 4 hurricane on Friday and has it coming on shore around Victoria and moving north from there. I'm officially concerned about this game being played at all anywhere near Houston Sunday or Monday.
the hurricane hits on Friday it will be long gone by the time sunday comes along
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008   #123
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2029 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
the hurricane hits on Friday it will be long gone by the time sunday comes along
It's supposed to hit friday night/saturday morning, but I see what you mean. But you never know, if it's a cat 4, we'll probably still be seing some strong winds and rain on sunday. We'll see.
Old 09-10-2008   #124
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 53673 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post

The issue will be the amount of damage done. If large chunks of the city are without power I don't think the game will be played. Also, how/when do the Ravens get here. Issues like that are of concern as well.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008   #125
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

I will be so freakin pissed if we lose a home game. Especially after the crap we saw last Sunday.

This team has its mojo when in Reliant.

Thanks everyone for the updates. I hope everyone and their property comes out of this weekend unscathed. Unless, of course if you are upside down on your car and have gap insurance. In that case, go down to Freeport and find a parking lot near the beach! Get something positive out of Ike!
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008   #126
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The issue will be the amount of damage done. If large chunks of the city are without power I don't think the game will be played. Also, how/when do the Ravens get here. Issues like that are of concern as well.
The Ravens probably have to fly in no later than early Friday afternoon.

Which means we should hear word no later than late Thursday or early Friday. At least that's my thinking.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008   #127
ReliantTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 364 ReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Also, how/when do the Ravens get here. Issues like that are of concern as well.
Well, if they're not able to fly in by sunday, I say we win by default.
ReliantTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-11-2008   #128
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Raven's will fly in on Friday, according to 10pm news.
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008   #129
hobie
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 5549 hobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaft75 View Post
I will be so freakin pissed if we lose a home game. Especially after the crap we saw last Sunday.
Losing a home game is not that big of deal is it ? With what Houston and surrounding areas are about to go thru, that's the least of our worries, and honestly, if it was moved, it would not be that big of a deal to me..I am more worried on how our community is going to come thru this...

But I know what you mean by that statement...it would be a good way to put the storm behind us and have something to cheer about..
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008   #130
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReliantTexan View Post
Well, if they're not able to fly in by sunday, I say we win by default.
Awesome! The progression, our D gave up ZERO yards!!
Old 09-11-2008   #131
KEYE SUX
Veteran

Rep Power: 9 KEYE SUX was voted MVPKEYE SUX was voted MVPKEYE SUX was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie View Post
Losing a home game is not that big of deal is it ? With what Houston and surrounding areas are about to go thru, that's the least of our worries, and honestly, if it was moved, it would not be that big of a deal to me..I am more worried on how our community is going to come thru this...

But I know what you mean by that statement...it would be a good way to put the storm behind us and have something to cheer about..
I'm sorry if this comes of as being insensitive, but grow a sack. Most of us have lived on the coast for all our lives. What happened with Katrina sucked but we have faced so many hurricane warnings and threats that it is just a part of end-of-summer. Yes Katrina was bad and Ike looks bad as well but we can't act like the sky is falling on every single storm that may come within 200 miles of us. If you don't like it MOVE AWAY FROM THE COAST
Old 09-11-2008   #132
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 119300 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEYE SUX View Post
I'm sorry if this comes of as being insensitive, but grow a sack. Most of us have lived on the coast for all our lives. What happened with Katrina sucked but we have faced so many hurricane warnings and threats that it is just a part of end-of-summer. Yes Katrina was bad and Ike looks bad as well but we can't act like the sky is falling on every single storm that may come within 200 miles of us. If you don't like it MOVE AWAY FROM THE COAST
Put on your hardhat buddy. Does the word "INCOMING!!!!!" mean anything to you??

Wow, just...................speechless.
Old 09-11-2008   #133
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 23727 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Right now Ike is projected to come a shore near Freeport and go right through Houston. I do know that Ike could still move further east or west. Right now Ike is a cat 2 and expected to intensify to a Cat 3 or 4 before he hits land. This would put cat 2 or 3 winds right through Houston and the surrounding areas. This would cause a lot of damage and almost everyone in the surrounding areas will be without power for days,weeks.

Maybe for you guys that are not in the Houston and surrounding areas it is not something you are worried about, but for those of us that actually live in this area, forgive us for being more concerned about our families and property than about where and when a football game will be played.

After Saturday there may not even be a Reliant Stadium. At least one that is playable.
Old 09-11-2008   #134
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 53441 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Given the fact that your location says you are in Austin, this post is pretty outrageous. Nice way to sit inland and throw stones at people much more in the path of the hurricane.

Also, Hobie said NOTHING to deserve this. Reread Hobie's post and explain to me what he said that sounded like the sky is falling.
Old 09-11-2008   #135
Tedc
Hardheaded

Rep Power: 2838 Tedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Interesting that your words come from Austin and not Galveston or Houston. I am not disrespecting your post but do you have any idea what this storm is about to do? A Cat 3 (maybe stronger) is going to cause massive damage in the highly populated areas it is about to strike.
Old 09-11-2008   #136
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 119300 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grams View Post
Right now Ike is projected to come a shore near Freeport and go right through Houston. I do know that Ike could still move further east or west. Right now Ike is a cat 2 and expected to intensify to a Cat 3 or 4 before he hits land. This would put cat 2 or 3 winds right through Houston and the surrounding areas. This would cause a lot of damage and almost everyone in the surrounding areas will be without power for days,weeks.

Maybe for you guys that are not in the Houston and surrounding areas it is not something you are worried about, but for those of us that actually live in this area, forgive us for being more concerned about our families and property than about where and when a football game will be played.

After Saturday there may not even be a Reliant Stadium. At least one that is playable.
I know you weren't directing that at me, but I feel the need to say I can't imagine anyone having the opinion KEYE SUX seems to have. That post spoke for no one, well, certainly not me. I'm a Houstonian and always will be and if I lived in Houston right now I would be worried for all I have built to make the life I have for my myself and my family.

I found that post not only insensitive seeing how a major hurricane is bearing down on the people it is directed to, but incredibly lacking in understanding to the pressing circumstances of others. Hence the speechless "wow."

Hobie is right, the game is the toy section of life, but the hurricane taking aim at the coast is real life concern no one can afford to take lightly.

If I laid that on a little thick, sorry, I need coffee.
Old 09-11-2008   #137
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, I'm not in Houston (actually I'm on an entirely different continent), but I still hope for this sucker to deminish before hitting y'all. I have too many friends in Houston to ignore this thing, and honestly the game is of less concern to me than the people there. I'm a humanist, I don't buy into the dog-eat-dog mentality that some seem to subscribe to. Some places are more prone to the whims of nature than others, and I've never ever heard people on the coast complain about these realities of life. I am sure that most people on the coast realize the possible threat to themselves and everyone around them and take the neccesary precautions.

Telling you to suck it up would be unfair and classless... and lack the empathy that I myself value highly.

I'm not a religious man either, so I'll simply tell you good luck, and that you all are in my thoughts. If Ike does indeed hit Houston, the foodball game is the least of my worries.

That being said, if y'all beat Ike AND the Ravens, I'm buying the entire city a round!
Old 09-11-2008   #138
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected

This is a huge storm but so far the winds arn't too bad but if it does strengthen to a CAT 4 and stays as big as it is and continues to move at a speed of about 8 miles per hour. Let's say it has tropical storm winds 250 miles out from the eye, 125 from each direction, and it hits near here. How long will it take for the winds to get under tropical storm strength. 250 divided by 8 = 31.25. Now ofcourse, right now we don't know how it will affect our area but imagine if we have strong tropical force winds for even 24 hours. It won't be pretty.

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008   #139
BigWig
Bigimus Wigimus

Rep Power: 1266 BigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respected

One thing to consider also isnt Htwon mainly below sea level?
From my years of growing up in Bellaire it would flood like crazy, bayous would overflow, and we ould just ride the waves behind a big truck.
If this storm is cat 3 or 4 Htown could be in for some serious issues.
BigWig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008   #140
gwallaia

Rep Power: 66021 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

They have called for a mandatory evacuation for Jefferson and Orange Counties. But I plan on staying put, the traffic coming out of Houston will be too much for the roads to take.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read