Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-08-2008   #1
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Did the Texans ever have any interest in Michael Turner?

Just wondering after watching him yesterday. I am not even sure how much the Falcons signed him for. I don't remember the front office ever pursuing him, but he would have been a beast in this system.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008   #2
sakebomb
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1859 sakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Did the Texans ever have any interest in Michael Turner?

Can Turner pressure the QB?
Old 09-08-2008   #3
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 239970 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray View Post
Just wondering after watching him yesterday. I am not even sure how much the Falcons signed him for. I don't remember the front office ever pursuing him, but he would have been a beast in this system.
Have you seen our run blocking so far this pre-season/season?
Old 09-08-2008   #4
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Jerious Norwood tore it up for them too yesterday. Falcons led the league in rushing not too long ago, so they have a history of being a top running team before Turner got there...so....Turner would have found the same non-holes that our other backs did yesterday.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008   #5
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Have you seen our run blocking so far this pre-season/season?
Did you see the Falcons OL last year? With pretty much the same guys. And there is a big difference, we played the Steelers while they played the Lions. But I think Michael Turner is the real deal. And I'm not armcahir Qbing, I am just wondering if the Texans ever had any interest, because I don't recall.
Old 09-08-2008   #6
stingray
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Jerious Norwood tore it up for them too yesterday. Falcons led the league in rushing not too long ago, so they have a history of being a top running team before Turner got there...so....Turner would have found the same non-holes that our other backs did yesterday.
Yes, they Had Alex Gibbs.
Old 09-08-2008   #7
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yes, they Had Alex Gibbs.
so what? They don't now and are still kicking ass running the ball. Coaches only do so much and other coaches who replace good coaches are probably pretty good at this level as well.
Quote:
Did you see the Falcons OL last year? With pretty much the same guys.
two words: Bobby Petrino

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-08-2008   #8
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm going from memory here, but I think he was too expensive for the amount cap the Texans had available so he was never a serious option.

He may have been more than they were willing to pay an RB anyway, since they believe RB success is more system than elite talent driven.
Old 09-08-2008   #9
stingray
Hall of Fame

Quote:
so what? They don't now and are still kicking ass running the ball. Coaches only do so much and other coaches who replace good coaches are probably pretty good at this level as well.
two words: Bobby Petrino
I didn't expect the Texans to have a great running game in the first half of the season, but I think they will improve. But even if they improve, are they still going to rely on Green? or Slaton to be an every down back?

I understand that there is alot of problems with the running game right now, with the OL being the main Culprit. But they will improve, they have to, they can't get any worse, but they never really adressed the RB situation.
Old 09-08-2008   #10
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

The Texans werent willing to spend the big money on Turner. They save all their big money to spend on losers like David Carr. Lock guys up like that forever but God forbid get someone who can actually play....geez God forbid get someone who can actually coach too. Kubiak is what he is too. Bargain basement coaching.

Maybe McNair will kick Kubes to the curb and bring someone in who can actually coach. Cowher anyone?
Old 09-08-2008   #11
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I didn't expect the Texans to have a great running game in the first half of the season, but I think they will improve. But even if they improve, are they still going to rely on Green? or Slaton to be an every down back?

I understand that there is alot of problems with the running game right now, with the OL being the main Culprit. But they will improve, they have to, they can't get any worse, but they still haven't adressed the RB situation.
I think by the bye week we should be regularly running at an adequate if maybe a bit unspectacular level assuming nobody gets hurt. I think by mid season we should be running the ball well enough to merit some notice and talk about how Alex Gibbs has turned another team into a running machine will resume.

I think that if this doesn't happen (and again, everyone is healthy and working together) then we have a problem in personnel and then I would expect the team to start trying different players where guys aren't getting it done.

Personally I don't see any reason why Slaton can't be an every down back. He's small but small guys do it all the time in this league. I've seen big guys who can't stay healthy and little guys who run for 10 years. It's not so much the size of his body as it is his durability and we'll find out about that real quick.
Old 09-08-2008   #12
Polo

Quote:
Really ?
Old 09-08-2008   #13
stingray
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I think by the bye week we should be regularly running at an adequate if maybe a bit unspectacular level assuming nobody gets hurt. I think by mid season we should be running the ball well enough to merit some notice and talk about how Alex Gibbs has turned another team into a running machine will resume.

I think that if this doesn't happen (and again, everyone is healthy and working together) then we have a problem in personnel and then I would expect the team to start trying different players where guys aren't getting it done.

Personally I don't see any reason why Slaton can't be an every down back. He's small but small guys do it all the time in this league. I've seen big guys who can't stay healthy and little guys who run for 10 years.It's not so much the size of his body as it is his durability and we'll find out about that real quick.
You're probably right on that one, it's just hard to think that a little guy gets pounded that much and him lasting. But there are some that have lasted, westbrook being one of them.
Old 09-08-2008   #14
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

Quote:
You're probably right on that one, it's just hard to think that a little guy gets pounded that much and him lasting. But there are some that have lasted, westbrook being one of them.
The way i see it at 5'9 201, if he were closer to the 6ft mark, in comparison he'd be 220-230. I dont question his size at all.
Old 09-08-2008   #15
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

If we signed Turner he would have been shut down just like our runners were. When your center gets blown off the ball so hard he hits you and knocks you down, what can you do?
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008   #16
forcefollow
Rookie

Rep Power: 230 forcefollow is a quality contributor and well respectedforcefollow is a quality contributor and well respectedforcefollow is a quality contributor and well respectedforcefollow is a quality contributor and well respectedforcefollow is a quality contributor and well respectedforcefollow is a quality contributor and well respectedforcefollow is a quality contributor and well respectedforcefollow is a quality contributor and well respectedforcefollow is a quality contributor and well respectedforcefollow is a quality contributor and well respectedforcefollow is a quality contributor and well respected

No Texans wanted Chris Brown.
forcefollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008   #17
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
If we signed Turner he would have been shut down just like our runners were. When your center gets blown off the ball so hard he hits you and knocks you down, what can you do?
Call Mike Flanagan...
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008   #18
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92860 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans never pay big money for free agents...

Unless they are washed up guys from the Packers or Broncos
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008   #19
BuffaloglennTX
Rookie

Rep Power: 24 BuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaft75 View Post
Call Mike Flanagan...
Or Steve McKinney!
BuffaloglennTX is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read