Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-08-2008   #1
brickman
Rookie

Rep Power: 10 brickman was voted MVPbrickman was voted MVPbrickman was voted MVP
Default Plain and simple

Our defense is not very good (or at least they didn't show it in week #1). Pittsburgh is a good team that pretty much did anything they wanted against us. Besides Super Mario and Demeco, I didn't see anybody that palyed well on the defensive side of the ball. The only games we can win are the teams we get in a shootout with and outscore them. Something needs to change. I didn't see anything in week #1 to get excited about. Hopefully, things turn around quickly.

We need some on d.
brickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008   #2
Old School
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 876 Old School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Old School Send a message via Skype™ to Old School
Default Re: Plain and simple

You left out Diles..He did lead the team in tackles with 11 (according to NFL.com). That has to count for something.
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008   #3
Polo

Amobi was getting good penetration...
Old 09-08-2008   #4
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 54908 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickman View Post
Our defense is not very good (or at least they didn't show it in week #1). Pittsburgh is a good team that pretty much did anything they wanted against us. Besides Super Mario and Demeco, I didn't see anybody that palyed well on the defensive side of the ball. The only games we can win are the teams we get in a shootout with and outscore them. Something needs to change. I didn't see anything in week #1 to get excited about. Hopefully, things turn around quickly.

We need some on d.
Mario was about to be on fire. Two sacks and a FF. He even injured Big Ben. After that I think Pitt attempted 2 passes and ran everything up the gut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
You left out Diles..He did lead the team in tackles with 11 (according to NFL.com). That has to count for something
I am unimpressed by this number. Making the tackle 15 yards down field is a lot different than making a tackle at the line of scrimmage.

Its a combination of awful LBers and a front four that cant keep OLinemen off our LBers.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008   #5
dskillz
Veteran

Rep Power: 27 dskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performer

I don't think we can draw these sweeping conclusions after one week. Patriots got demolished to start the season against a crappy Bills team and went on to win the Super Bowl 3 years ago.

Not saying we are the Patriots or going to the Super Bowl, but we just got manhandled yesterday and how we respond this week will tell alot about the team. Not like the Ravens are a bunch of slouches on the defensive side of the ball themselves.

The one thing I did take away from the game is that Schaub still hasn't learned to value the ball. Last year he would have atleast 2 plays a game where he threw the ball up for grabs. He seems to have not learned to stop doing that.
Old 09-08-2008   #6
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
I didn't see that at all.

As for the original post, if our offense doesn't get out of the funk they are in, you can forget about getting into a shootout with anybody.

I expected some issues on defense, and they actually performed better than my expectations. But the offense, I was caught totally by surprise.

I'm even more surprised there are no Start Sage threads yet.
Old 09-08-2008   #7
Texan JBZ
Da Sip's Finest

Rep Power: 1065 Texan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Were you holding the camera or playing the cheesy bass guitar licks. Because you definitely can't be talking about the Steelers game!
Old 09-08-2008   #8
brickman
Rookie

Rep Power: 10 brickman was voted MVPbrickman was voted MVPbrickman was voted MVP

I'm jsut frustrated. I was expecting so much more and we got our a**** handed to us. I know it was only week 1 .. let's just hope that they rebound in a big way this week against a rookie QB. If they can't handle Baltimore's offense, we are in for a long season.
brickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008   #9
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Some other observations.

I hope everyone saw how their linebackers covered receivers. Even in Zone, when someone entered their zone, that person was their responsibility, and they followed their responsibility. They manned up on anyone entering their zone. Our guys find a spot, and cover that spot, until the ball is thrown, making it easy for receivers & QBs to find wholes, and sit in them.

I don't think Pitt picked on Reeves very much either. He also did his job, and there was that one great play, where the receiver thought he had the ball, and Reeves stayed with him the whole time, knocking the ball out of his hands.

I didn't realize how much we relied on Dunta in run defense. I mean I did, but I didn't. Before, we had problems stopping the run up the middle, now, they can beat us to the corners as well.

I thought I was happy with our DL, but after seeing damn near every screen pass being blown up by the Pittsburgh DL... and I mean their fat DEs...... I think we should expect our DL to play at that level. If you remember the commentator(Bill Billeck??) talking about Pitts DEs/or OLBs running for the sideline when they sniffed screen..... I got to thinking our guys don't ever run to the sideline(at least I haven't noticed before, but I'll be watching as we get beat on screens often).
Old 09-08-2008   #10
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan JBZ View Post
Were you holding the camera or playing the cheesy bass guitar licks. Because you definitely can't be talking about the Steelers game!
I thought he was making a good push through the OL myself.
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008   #11
Texan JBZ
Da Sip's Finest

Rep Power: 1065 Texan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexMexVato View Post
I thought he was making a good push through the OL myself.
What? Where? When? I mean, the Steelers ran the ball 39 times. Amobi Okoye had ZERO-COUNT THAT-ZERO TACKLES! Not even a f'ing assist. Hell, Vonta Leach registered an assist yesterday. What are you guys seeing that I'm obviously missing? The Steelers were pounding the ball on us and the starting DT doesn't even register ONE TACKLE! NOT ONE! 39 rushing attempts and not one damn tackle. That's a pathetic performance by Amobi. Terrible!
Old 09-08-2008   #12
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 114958 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I didn't see that at all.

As for the original post, if our offense doesn't get out of the funk they are in, you can forget about getting into a shootout with anybody.

I expected some issues on defense, and they actually performed better than my expectations. But the offense, I was caught totally by surprise.

I'm even more surprised there are no Start Sage threads yet.
Good Lord man, 38 points and almost 200 yards rushing. What the hell were your expectations?

I think we all expected issues on defense, but damn, that was just embarrassing.
Old 09-08-2008   #13
BeerTastesLikeVictory
Custom Title

Rep Power: 31401 BeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respected
Cool Re: Plain and simple

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickman View Post
I'm jsut frustrated. I was expecting so much more and we got our a**** handed to us. I know it was only week 1 .. let's just hope that they rebound in a big way this week against a rookie QB. If they can't handle Baltimore's offense, we are in for a long season.
I feel the same way. I have been a very optimistic fan since the inception, but this year I have been pretty pesimistic because honestly talk is cheap. The FO can talk about all the improvements in camp, etc, but until it finally translates to playing and winning against playoff type opponents then I will still continue to watch, but I will be slightly less thrilled about it.

*Sig by False Start*
"If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
-David Daye
BeerTastesLikeVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008   #14
treygar
Veteran

Rep Power: 9 treygar is on the Pro-Bowl ballottreygar is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I agree with the first post and would like to add that Schaub is just a second rate Carr that will eventually throw more INT's and take just as damaging field position sacks until we figure out just what an offensive line is.
Old 09-08-2008   #15
Spled
All Pro

Rep Power: 51 Spled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respected

One thing in defense of the defense is that the offense didn't help them too much with 2 interceptions and one four and out after another.
Spled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008   #16
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Our offense was worst then our D. Hard to believe that huh.

When we were on offense, we couldn't do crap against the Steelers. The only time we scored a TD was when the Steelers started to lighten up and throw us some pity points. Our only real score came from a FG, and we wouldn't even had scored that if Mario hadn't cause a FF and if Meco didn't run it down to the 10 yards line. We couldn't even freakin score a TD, after being given awesome field position. Basically on the 10 yards line, It was like the Steelers were taunting us saying "come on, score on us if you can". Pathetic.

Garbage time aside, our score should have really been 0-38.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008   #17
ReliantTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 364 ReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Good Lord man, 38 points and almost 200 yards rushing. What the hell were your expectations?

I think we all expected issues on defense, but damn, that was just embarrassing.
Seriously, the Steelers were 5 for 5 in the red zone. Our D didn't even give our offense a chance to keep this game close. I put this loss for the most part on the defenses shoulders, not that the offense was any good it's just that the defense let this game get out of hand so quickly, that we were down 21-0 in the second half. I don't care how well you're offense is playing, you'll never win if your defense is that bad.

Last edited by ReliantTexan; 09-08-2008 at 09:21 PM.
ReliantTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008   #18
ReliantTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 364 ReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
Our offense was worst then our D. Hard to believe that huh.

When we were on offense, we couldn't do crap against the Steelers. The only time we scored a TD was when the Steelers started to lighten up and throw us some pity points. Our only real score came from a FG, and we wouldn't even had scored that if Mario hadn't cause a FF and if Meco didn't run it down to the 10 yards line. We couldn't even freakin score a TD, after being given awesome field position. Basically on the 10 yards line, It was like the Steelers were taunting us saying "come on, score on us if you can". Pathetic.

Garbage time aside, our score should have really been 0-38.
What do you think the score would have been if the Steelers would have kept most of their starters in on offense and didn't just play clock managment the entire second half?
Old 09-08-2008   #19
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReliantTexan View Post
What do you think the score would have been if the Steelers would have kept most of their starters in on offense and didn't just play clock managment the entire second half?
NBA-like, with us at 0 though. In fact this reminds me of the Rockets game we had a few years back against the Suns. It was on national TV, and we were getting smoked by them, I think they had a 50 something point lead somewhere in the 3rd Q. Would've been even higher if they hadn't rest Nash and co.

I'm just glad some of the coaches out there are decent enough to take pity on the lowly teams, and allow them to score some pity points and make it seems like it was an actual game.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008   #20
ReliantTexan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
NBA-like, with us at 0 though. In fact this reminds me of the Rockets game we had a few years back against the Suns. It was on national TV, and we were getting smoked by them, I think they had a 50 something point lead somewhere in the 3rd Q. Would've been even higher if they hadn't rest Nash and co.

I'm just glad some of the coaches out there are decent enough to take pity on a lowly team.
Let's just hope the Texans decided to have their worst game of the season yesterday.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read