Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-07-2008   #1
prostock101
Mr. Big

Rep Power: 275 prostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default I thought Ahman Green was our #1 RB?

Because Slaton got more of the carries.

S. Slaton 13 carries for 43 yards 3.3 ypc
A. Green 5 carries for 28 yards 5.6 ypc

Why give the rookie Slaton the load over an experienced and healthy? Green.

I think Slation has great potential but why the big discrepancy?

And by the way, is there anyway we can get McKinney and Weary back?

Meyers and Brisiel really got eaten alive.....
prostock101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #2
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: I thought Ahman Green was our #1 RB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostock101 View Post
Because Slaton got more of the carries.

S. Slaton 13 carries for 43 yards 3.3 ypc
A. Green 5 carries for 28 yards 5.6 ypc

Why give the rookie Slaton the load over an experienced and healthy? Green.

I think Slation has great potential but why the big discrepancy?

And by the way, is there anyway we can get McKinney and Weary back?

McKinney doesn't fit the scheme and Weary was place on IR. I never been high on Brisiel, I'm still hoping that Frye converts to G and takes over.

Kubes already said that he was gonna go easy with Green for the first game, and he looked pretty effective too with his limited carries.

Slaton getting the majority of the carries tells me one thing, the coaches doesn't think much of the "back-up RB" Taylor. I'm thinking we'll bring another RB in, because right now we have two RB we're going to use, one being a undersize rookie and the other being an injury-prone veteran.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #3
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8706 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostock101 View Post
Yeah, they were blown into the backfield a few times thoughout the game. Kind of worries me that this could happen all season.
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #4
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexMexVato View Post
Yeah, they were blown into the backfield a few times thoughout the game. Kind of worries me that this could happen all season.
It's going to take a while for them (the offensive line) to learn how to do this and so I hope we're seeing the worst play of their season as far as this is concerned. I hope as they get more in sync with one another we start seeing some of the "little guys creating creases through technique that we've all heard about.

Today was pretty much a "worst case scenario" opponent for a young line playing it's first real game with this scheme.

I hope.
Old 09-07-2008   #5
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 24956 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

ahman is our #1, have you seen his paycheck
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #6
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3326 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

I actually really liked what I saw with the RBs when they were given a chance. Slaton pretty much made the 1st guy miss everytime. It's up for the line to make that 1st guy a single LB, not all of them.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #7
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291448 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexMexVato View Post
yeah, just wait until Haynesworth and VDB get a hold of them
Tenn. held Fred Taylor and MJD to 31 total yds rushing today

Last edited by ObsiWan; 09-07-2008 at 09:30 PM.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-07-2008   #8
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

One of the historical issues with the "Gibbs" type lineman is that they have more trouble holding up against the pass rush.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #9
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 72472 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
It's going to take a while for them (the offensive line) to learn how to do this and so I hope we're seeing the worst play of their season as far as this is concerned.
The thing is, we've been hearing this same refrain for years. The Texans haven't picked up young talent on the line and developed it. They bring in old vets like Salaam (or worse), and after a year they have to gel again when the vet is replaced.

This has gone on for two coaching staffs and front offices. Maybe they'll stick with the guys they have now for a couple of years, but what are the odds of that? I think we'll talk about the need to gel next year.
Old 09-07-2008   #10
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 286663 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
McKinney doesn't fit the scheme and Weary was place on IR. I never been high on Brisiel, I'm still hoping that Frye converts to G and takes over.
I'm guessing that won't happen, since Frye was cut. Did we pick him back up, and I missed it?
Old 09-07-2008   #11
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I'm guessing that won't happen, since Frye was cut. Did we pick him back up, and I missed it?
Practice Squad I believe.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #12
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
The thing is, we've been hearing this same refrain for years. The Texans haven't picked up young talent on the line and developed it. They bring in old vets like Salaam (or worse), and after a year they have to gel again when the vet is replaced.

This has gone on for two coaching staffs and front offices. Maybe they'll stick with the guys they have now for a couple of years, but what are the odds of that? I think we'll talk about the need to gel next year.
I think we may be doing that next year too and that does worry me a little. I am fairly certain however that next year we will have Duane Brown at LT, Chester Pitts at LG, Chris Meyers at C, and Eric Winston at RT. I think if we're making changes to the line next year it will be at RG and getting one player in sync with the rest is progress. At least we won't be going through all of this with everyone again.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read