Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-07-2008   #1
TexansFight
All Pro

Rep Power: 2293 TexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Our competition for the last wild card spot

I know this is ridiculous to even mention after how terrible we looked today. However, even though I had hope for this year, I have been worried about our competition for that last spot. Yes, we finished 8-8 last year and we naturally thought our next step in progressing would be to win 9-10 games. That is last spot in the wild card which I think most realistic fans of our team would expect to be our most realistic best case scenario. Guess what, fans of teams like Denver and Buffalo think their team is going to make that step too.

Let's break it down:

1. Buffalo: another 8-8 team. They looked VERY good today. A good defense and they have a nice running game with Marshawn Lynch. At this point they are clearly better than us and IMO the team to beat for that last wild card.

2. Denver: 7-9 last year. They play tomorrow night. They think they are improved. We'll wait to see but the loss of Brandon Marshall will hurt. I think they will be 7-9 or 8-8 again.

3. Tennessee: 10-6 last year. They won today and beat the Jags. Good win that was virtually identical as last year predicated on their salty D and running game. They are still better than us.

4. Cleveland: 10-6 last year. They got destroyed today by the Cowboys, who unfortunately for us Texans fans look to be favorites to get to the Super Bowl. Derek Anderson has sucked in the preseason and today. I wouldn't be surprised to see Brady Anderson to take over. That should knock them down a few games to the 8-8 level but on paper they are still better than us.

There might be others but basically were we just fooling ourselves to think we were ready to compete for a playoff spot? We are not nearly as good as the 4 teams I have listed above. Just trying to take a hard look at where we are.

I wish this was not true. I am dying for a playoff spot. I pray that I am wrong.
TexansFight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #2
Texan JBZ
Da Sip's Finest

Rep Power: 1064 Texan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Our competition for the last wild card spot

In the immortal words of Jim Mora:

"Playoffs? Playoffs? Are you kidding me? Playoffs?"
Old 09-07-2008   #3
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

bills didnt look so hot on offence.. their ST's were great though
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #4
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47761 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I can see another step backwards before the Texans move forwards

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #5
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Well

Oakland ..... o yes

TItans & Jags

Teh ravens

and the pats yes the pats

Oakland scares me and teh black hole

The titans might not have vince young 100% but he sucks anywayz so IMO the titans dont scare me never have never will

The jags on the other hand are like a clone of pittsburg and IMO still could win the AFC Crown

The ravens D is insane .... that is all that needs to be said they took the Pats to the limit last year

and i dont know how long brady will be out but even with brady there not that good the hole team was actually going to lose the Kanasas city

Last edited by Norg; 09-07-2008 at 06:46 PM.
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #6
houstonhurricane
All Pro

Rep Power: 937 houstonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respected

The titans might not have vince young 100% but he sucks anywayz so IMO the titans dont scare me never have never will

^^^ not to be a downer, but have we beat the Titans since they acquired Young?
Old 09-07-2008   #7
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan JBZ View Post
In the immortal words of Jim Mora:

"Playoffs? Playoffs? Are you kidding me? Playoffs?"
If you are gonna do the Jim Mora, you need the picture and got to do the WHOLE quote!

What's that? Uh -- Playoffs? Don't talk about -- playoffs? You kidding me? Playoffs? I just hope we can win a game!
-Jim Mora

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-07-2008   #8
Texan JBZ
Da Sip's Finest

Rep Power: 1064 Texan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
If you are gonna do the Jim Mora, you need the picture and got to do the WHOLE quote!

What's that? Uh -- Playoffs? Don't talk about -- playoffs? You kidding me? Playoffs? I just hope we can win a game!
-Jim Mora
Some things just never get old, do they?
Old 09-07-2008   #9
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

We play too many more games like the one we played today and we'll be talking about our competition for the first overall pick in the draft, not our competition for the Wild Card spot.

Today was the bottom. I keep saying that. Now we go up.

I hope.
Old 09-07-2008   #10
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonhurricane View Post

^^^ not to be a downer, but have we beat the Titans since they acquired Young?

Nope but that will all change this year
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #11
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208658 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

The AFC North has to play the NFC East and the AFC South this year. So, aside from the Texans, those teams have tough schedules. The Steelers will win the North, but I don't see the Browns getting a WC spot, given their schedule. Of course, the Jets were probably not a serious WC contender before the Favre acquisition.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read