Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-07-2008   #1
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default I honestly think we'll be 5-2 by the bye week

We lost this game as soon as it was scheduled, so I wasn't upset about it. Losing the 4th down call was not a big deal. We were soundly outplayed all day.

Here's the good news:

The Ravens look very beatable. They weren't running away with their game like they should have.

Did you catch some Jaguars and Titans football today? They BOTH are very very beatable. Heck, it looked like neither team wanted to win the game. Vince is already majorly hurt and appears to be in his "I think I might not want to play football" depression-mode again.

Miami and Detroit are beatable, and we have them at home IIRC.

Colts represent the only real threat similar to the Steelers today.

Even with the way we played today, I personally think we can OUTPLAY Ravens, Jaguars, Titans, Dolphins, and Lions.

That means we might be looking at 5-2 by our bye week. We aren't going to beat teams like the Colts or Steelers (unless they just fail to really prepare for us) and we need to just get over that fact...but we can beat the other teams, and I am not going to have a coronary over losing to a VERY good Steelers team who looks to have returned to their form from a few years back.

We were the unfortunate victim of having to play the Steelers on opening day in THEIR home. Had we played the Cardinals, the Rams, the Lions, the Dolphins, and a whole host of other teams who (today) looked very subpar...I am sure we'd be happy campers today.
Old 09-07-2008   #2
The Dream
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 The Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of Famer
Default Re: I honestly think we'll be 5-2 by the bye week

5-2???

miami battled the jets fairly well today......Pennington isn't a great QB, but he's not a push over either. the ravens D is solid, and cause havoc. Detroit is beatable, but they still have a lot of offensive fire power to cause problems....and the Colts, well they're the colts.....................I think the texans offense will play better, but I'm still worried about that D.....
The Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #3
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 59912 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

I'm just ready for SWT to eat his hat... even if we go 0-7 I'll be excited to see SWT eat his hat.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #4
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13222 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Think you're spot on. We might not be 5-2 by the bye-week, but it's not impossible based on the other teams performances. Everyone will have a hard time doing anything against this Steelers defense, and I doubt that any teams will get alot of points against them this year.

Someone else mentioned in another thread, that if one could have written the manuscript for the worst possible game, it would have been our season opener. Short of injuries, everything that could go wrong did go wrong at some point during the game. My own positive spin on this is that it can only get better, and that if we increase the percentage of good plays and calls (and we had a few tonight) we'll be at least respectable this season.

Regardless, I am glad to have the NFL back, and despite taking a beating tonight I'm still loving the game and I'm still a Texans fan
Old 09-07-2008   #5
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dream View Post
5-2???

miami battled the jets fairly well today......Pennington isn't a great QB, but he's not a push over either. the ravens D is solid, and cause havoc. Detroit is beatable, but they still have a lot of offensive fire power to cause problems....and the Colts, well they're the colts.....................I think the texans offense will play better, but I'm still worried about that D.....
I look at who we played today, and then I flip over and watch some of the other teams we're facing in the next few weeks. We played an opponent today who is light-years ahead of the teams we're facing in the next few weeks.

In fact, the team we faced today looks like the Colts team we almost always have lost to: Great blockers, good running game, cold-blooded killer at QB, and awesome defense.

The Colts and the Steelers are playoff teams. And the others I watched today are not scaring me one bit.

Was better for us to get our rears kicked today, even if we feel humiliated by it. I usually get very very angry over a day like this, but it was a blessing that it came on the first day, especially blessed that it was on the road. Think about how this would have felt for our guys if we had lost like this at Reliant today.
Old 09-07-2008   #6
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 561 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakos82 View Post
I'm just ready for SWT to eat his hat... even if we go 0-7 I'll be excited to see SWT eat his hat.

I'll leave the attention starved folks to themselves.

GP, I like your optimism, but I was flicking back and forth to the titans-jags game during commercials, and I saw two very good defenses, both of which will give us fits. If someone doesn't step up and stop Haynesworth against us, he's gonna injure Schaub again.

Our offense will get it going, but 5-2 is still optimistic IMO.
Silver Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #7
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree with both your post GP. We played terrible but it's not like it was the Atlanta Falcons game from last year. At least this game was against one of the best teams in the NFL. I like starting the year out on the road and against a tough opponent, it will make us a stronger team.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-07-2008   #8
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314445 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

5-2 before the bye? I'm just hoping for 3-4. We aren't there yet folks. We are up and coming, but we aren't there yet. Week one is over, let's see what happens next Sunday.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #9
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post
I'll leave the attention starved folks to themselves.

GP, I like your optimism, but I was flicking back and forth to the titans-jags game during commercials, and I saw two very good defenses, both of which will give us fits. If someone doesn't step up and stop Haynesworth against us, he's gonna injure Schaub again.

Our offense will get it going, but 5-2 is still optimistic IMO.
You're right about the Jags and Titans defenses.

But they look to have taken a few steps back offensively. There's not a single WR on the Jags who can touch ours in terms of talent, and I am serious when I say that this might be the beginning of the end for Vince Young in Tennessee.

If we can stiffen our run defense vs. the Ravens and get some confidence...I think Schaub and Green/Slaton can lead us over the remaining teams, excluding the Colts.

LOL. When Leftwich came into the game, I was like "Whew! Now we can stop them. This is a gift from the gods."
Old 09-07-2008   #10
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
5-2 before the bye? I'm just hoping for 3-4. We aren't there yet folks. We are up and coming, but we aren't there yet. Week one is over, let's see what happens next Sunday.
Hey, anybody here who was hanging their hat on upsetting the Steelers is due for a CAT-scan ASAP. People should have dialed down their expectations. Too many people were so starved for Texans football that they forgot to check the schedule closely to see who we faced today.

I hated our opening day game from the very beginning of it being released on the scheduling. It had the same "feel" to it as the game in Buffalo a few years back. Traveling to the northeast for your very first game is rough.

We are hosting a Ravens team who has a rookie QB, and he is the starter because the other QBs are banged up. We're at home. And I bank on our guys being very very ready to prove something.

1-1 by this time next week.
Old 09-07-2008   #11
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Hey, anybody here who was hanging their hat on upsetting the Steelers is due for a CAT-scan ASAP. People should have dialed down their expectations. Too many people were so starved for Texans football that they forgot to check the schedule closely to see who we faced today.
You're completely missing the point: the Texans were never in the game,
they were complely blown out, the 21-point margin totally understates the
dominance of the Texans by the Steelers today.
Forget about wanting to win the game, bottom line is the Texans weren't competitive today, and this is a team that Kubiak says will settle for nothing less than the playoffs this season.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #12
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Because of this thread we will now be 2-5 at the bye.........that's just the way Texan fandom goes, if you can't take a kick in the nuts repeatedly, being a Texan fan is not for you.

- Edmund Burke
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #13
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15235 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought we would be 1-3 after Sept, but after we got smashed today next week scares the shite out of me. I hope we can make some adjustments in protection or it will get uglier.
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #14
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314445 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Because of this thread we will now be 2-5 at the bye.........that's just the way Texan fandom goes, if you can't take a kick in the nuts repeatedly, being a Houston football fan is not for you.

fixed it for ya

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #15
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 6461 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You're right about the Jags and Titans defenses.

But they look to have taken a few steps back offensively. There's not a single WR on the Jags who can touch ours in terms of talent, and I am serious when I say that this might be the beginning of the end for Vince Young in Tennessee.

If we can stiffen our run defense vs. the Ravens and get some confidence...I think Schaub and Green/Slaton can lead us over the remaining teams, excluding the Colts.

LOL. When Leftwich came into the game, I was like "Whew! Now we can stop them. This is a gift from the gods."
LOL. I said almost the same thing.
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #16
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6845 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

Did most of you guys miss the part where Tennessee had 7 sacks today? Tha Jags had less than 50 yards rushing. Why do I keep hearing that thier D looks beatable?
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #17
Spike
Veteran

Rep Power: 21 Spike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of Famer

Hmmm...anything is possible.

This team just needs to take it a week at a time. The team needs to focus on fixing the mistakes from this week and the only goal should be being 1-1 next week.
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #18
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
You're completely missing the point: the Texans were never in the game,
they were complely blown out, the 21-point margin totally understates the
dominance of the Texans by the Steelers today.
Forget about wanting to win the game, bottom line is the Texans weren't competitive today, and this is a team that Kubiak says will settle for nothing less than the playoffs this season.
I don't think there was a single Texans player or coach today who really, truly 100% can say that they HONESTLY felt they had a shot today.

It's one thing to SAY confident things. It's whole 'nother thing to do it. Kubiak is a master of coach-speak, so anything he says is automatically ignored if you understand that he's just really good at coach-speak.

At the end of today, if a Texans fan is sad about what happened today, then he hasn't learnt much from this franchises' first season and all the way through to what we have today: We can't normally beat teams like the Steelers, and we ought to stop the pipe dreams of doing so.

We're a long ways from being truly competitive. Rick Smith admits it: He has a guarded optimism that I like a lot. He knows he can put together a team who is like the Steelers, but it is going to take a long time. Then, we'll be like the Steelers: Just fine-tuning things each year, but with the same core of studs to help solidify the team.
Old 09-07-2008   #19
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6845 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't think there was a single Texans player or coach today who really, truly 100% can say that they HONESTLY felt they had a shot today.
What? Why the hell not? Have you ever played any sports?? I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous.

I'm sure the Texans as a whole knew they were underdogs. I'm sure they knew it was going to be super tough to win this one. But damn. You're saying they KNEW in their hearts that they had NO CHANCE?? That's not the way pro athletes think. As they say, ''The games aren't played on paper."

Texans were decent last year. Pittsburgh was above average, but not elite. This wasn't 1-15 Miami playing 16-0 New England.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #20
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

I honestly think every single game we have this season will be a war

And are u kidding me No divison game is easy ......
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read