Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-09-2008   #41
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 173167 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The much dreaded "cushion"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
At the heart of defense philosophy I believe is the addage not to give up the big play, hence the cushion.

I think that our coaches would prefer to die the death of a thousand cuts than be beheaded in one foul swoop.

The reason you don't see many people breaking on the ball and making picks I would suggest is a lack of talent and the aforementioned not wanting to give up the big play. The other factor is that the 2 x S rather than FS/SS approach also detracts from putting a true ball hawk back there.

I personally like bend don't break defense but we have got to stop the run and put some longer down/distance pressure on the passing game.
I think that's an accurate assessment. No big plays and maybe, during the course of a long drive, the offense will screw up. Well, Pittsburgh's offense didn't.

I believe a DB has to know the other team's tendencies (that means lots of study) and have the WR route tree down cold, in order to jump routes. Our starting CBs have neither the experience, the confidence, nor the coaching philosophy to gamble (remember, no big plays & sometimes when you gamble you miss).

A "ball hawk" has the instincts to know when and how to gamble. And we all know we don't have anyone like that at safety. Not yet.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008   #42
dickieb
Veteran

Rep Power: 148 dickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respected

Let's bring back buddy ryan for dc - any takers?
Old 09-09-2008   #43
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
At the heart of defense philosophy I believe is the addage not to give up the big play, hence the cushion.

I think that our coaches would prefer to die the death of a thousand cuts than be beheaded in one foul swoop.

The reason you don't see many people breaking on the ball and making picks I would suggest is a lack of talent and the aforementioned not wanting to give up the big play. The other factor is that the 2 x S rather than FS/SS approach also detracts from putting a true ball hawk back there.

I personally like bend don't break defense but we have got to stop the run and put some longer down/distance pressure on the passing game.
Good post. I was going to mention the part in bold, as well. 35-3, which Richard Smith experienced, seems to have created coaches that gameplan around this exact mantra.

I think there is enough crap to go around for everyone on the team. Lots of manure to spread everywhere in the Texans flower bed after last Sunday.
Old 09-09-2008   #44
spurstexanstros
Texans Rising

Rep Power: 2317 spurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respected

I think its called the "lee evans rule" or the "if D-rob can get burnt deep after our biggest comeback what hope do the rest of them have have?" rule

They way they played i considered a third down that did not yield a TD a sucessful third down. My prayer for the rest of the season is " for the love of all things holy, can they please make a stop on third down!! please God I dont ask for much... or do I?"
spurstexanstros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008   #45
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think our cushion on pass plays will work better when our run defense makes people have 3rd and long, not 3rd and short.

Run defense is at the heart of good defense period.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008   #46
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 94442 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

And what is up with our blitzes?

When we line up to blitz, it is so obvious.

When we don't blitz, you can tell they are not going to blitz.

Disguise something. At least make them guess.
Old 09-10-2008   #47
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
And what is up with our blitzes?

When we line up to blitz, it is so obvious.

When we don't blitz, you can tell they are not going to blitz.

Disguise something. At least make them guess.
Except the one time they tried to disguise a blitz, our LB's started so far away from the LOS that their unathletic asses couldnt get any where near Big Ben. When we did blitz, Mario forced a fumble. I would rather have to watch a blown coverage here and there than watch people go 80 yards in 16 plays drive after drive.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read