Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-07-2008   #21
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The much dreaded "cushion"

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start On # 69 View Post

It just may be true.
Ooooh, I like it. It's AGGRESSIVE!
Old 09-07-2008   #22
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
I'd be shocked if Richard Smith was doing something so obviously detrimental to the team--like instructing our corners to give too big of a cusion--and no one said anything about it...

Ray Rhodes, Jon Hoke, and Kubiak are three guys that'd I'd expect to add some input come meeting time if Richard Smith's defense was so obviously bad...

He's been making the gametime calls for a while now...

Either his defensive scheme isn't as bad as it's made to sound around here or no one else on staff is paying attention or cares...

If giving less of a cusion was something that would probably help us out defensively I'd expect that suggestion to get thrown out there...
I think you have a point (as does Marcus) and yes, you would think that someone (Rhodes for instance) might say "Hey, you know Richard. I was a defensive coordinator for a long time and that stuff you're talking about isn't going to work."

I would think that even if Kubiak had almost no understanding of defensive philosophies he'd at least be thinking along the lines of "I'm gonna get fired if this keeps up! Do something to stop them!" Now Hoke I'm not sure about either. Former college DC so you would think he would know if Smith was doing something not grounded in reality. Same with Rhodes who has pro DC experience.

I've worked in places where they didn't want you putting your nose in things that weren't your business. Maybe that's a possibility? Maybe this is a spot where people are all standing around talking about how this isn't working but nobody will step up and say anything about it "on the record"?

I don't know. I just know this isn't working and it's 6:22PM on opening day of the 2008 season and I'm already seeing "We'll be there in 2009" posts. That's hard on the heart. They've had three drafts and three years worth of free agents to look at. I take from that fact the thought that we may have adequate to good people in place but we can very much say we don't have great people building this team. We now know that we haven't brought in the next whiz kid genius coach or GM. We aren't on the fast track. Somebody capable of righting a franchise quickly and properly like Bill Parcells for instance would likely not have come here. He wouldn't want to be shackled by the "morality clause" that players have to be able to abide by to play here. He's about winning football not "winning hearts and minds in the community through sunshine and good character". Parcells would have broken everything in 2006 within about two months and run everyone not ready to start earning some respect out of camp.

We might have good coaching and maybe a good GM but something is just not right about the Texans.
Old 09-07-2008   #23
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 30093 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

Quote:
Somebody capable of righting a franchise quickly and properly like Bill Parcells for instance would likely not have come here. He wouldn't want to be shackled by the "morality clause" that players have to be able to abide by to play here. He's about winning football not "winning hearts and minds in the community through sunshine and good character". Parcells would have broken everything in 2006 within about two months and run everyone not ready to start earning some respect out of camp.
If our first game of this season is the determination to whether a FO is capable, then shouldn't Miami's first game also be a determination of Parcell's ability? Last I saw, the Jet Farve kicked Bill's arse
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #24
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 109012 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Ooooh, I like it. It's AGGRESSIVE!
LOL.

I just don't get it. Like you said,someone that has had success as a D coordinator,should step up and tell this guy how to do things. Anything at this point couldn't be any worse.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #25
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstTexansFan View Post
If our first game of this season is the determination to whether a FO is capable, then shouldn't Miami's first game also be a determination of Parcell's ability? Last I saw, the Jet Farve kicked Bill's arse
Get back to me when Parcells is taking the Dolphins into their third season. He just got there.
Old 09-07-2008   #26
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
We might have good coaching and maybe a good GM but something is just not right about the Texans.
We're soft...Friendly...

We have a lot of guys that want to play good football, but I don't see many that want to crush the opposition...

I've never seen a friendlier defense...Not a lot of nastiness over there...

I know a lot of folks won't agree with me, but it's JMO....

Our O-line is pretty friendly as well...

When an agressive team like the steelers comes at you and jumps on a nice team like the Texans it normally brings the ***** out of ya'....
Old 09-07-2008   #27
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 30093 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, flat out, in my top ten posters on this board, you're clearly top five. But, I question your positive assessment of Parcells. He had plenty of time in Dallas to right that ship, and the jury is still out on that. I just don't see the man in the same light as you As for our FO, I'm still a believer in our owner, Rick Smith, and Kubiak. I don't think having a morality clause is an issue, more especially with Goodell as the NFL commissioner. Classy players don't lose ballgames, crappy players do
Sponsored links
Old 09-07-2008   #28
Polo

Quote:
I don't think having a morality clause is an issue, more especially with Goodell as the NFL commissioner. Classy players don't lose ballgames, crappy players do
You don't have to be a miscreant to be an aggressive mean ball player...
Old 09-07-2008   #29
CoastalTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 30 CoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to CoastalTexan

Wheres the Soap 2008 Style??? It worked for Casserley, perhaps it will work for Smith.
CoastalTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #30
Texan JBZ
Da Sip's Finest

Rep Power: 1065 Texan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
But, I question your positive assessment of Parcells. He had plenty of time in Dallas to right that ship, and the jury is still out on that. I just don't see the man in the same light as you
I hate the Cowgirls, but let's see: Marion Barber, Tony Romo, Jason Witten, Demarcus Ware, Chris Canty, Terrence Newman, Patrick Crayton, Sam Hurd, Marcus Spears, Bradie James, and Roy Williams are all Parcells guys. Only reason he left is he got tired of Jerry Jones's meddling. Can't say I blame him. But Parcells track record is impeccable. Dolphins will be a force in about 2-3 years.
Old 09-07-2008   #31
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Quote:
Well, flat out, in my top ten posters on this board, you're clearly top five. But, I question your positive assessment of Parcells. He had plenty of time in Dallas to right that ship, and the jury is still out on that. I just don't see the man in the same light as you As for our FO, I'm still a believer in our owner, Rick Smith, and Kubiak. I don't think having a morality clause is an issue, more especially with Goodell as the NFL commissioner. Classy players don't lose ballgames, crappy players do
Well, they were 5-11 before he got there for three straight years. He had his season where he went with the players he inherited for the most part and then went 10-6 with those guys. Then he decided to tear down and start over (guess he saw them as being 10-6 at best) and they fell to 6-10. Following that you got 9-7, 9-7, and 13-3 (Phillips with basically Parcells team).

I'd say he righted that ship.
Old 09-07-2008   #32
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

That ship isn't righted until they win a Playoff game bro. And as far as that list of players given me, only TO gets the miscreant label, and he wasn't Parcells pick, that was JJ's all the way. So we're back to the point I was trying to make, you don't have to have a criminal record to be aggressive, but you do need some talent
Old 09-07-2008   #33
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalTexan View Post
Wheres the Soap 2008 Style??? It worked for Casserley, perhaps it will work for Smith.
I forgot who made that avatar, I'm guessing maybe KT? Whomever done it I request a remake with Richard Smith name on it. I would don that avatar for as long as it takes, until Smith is fired.

Time to start the pink soap avatar request petition. Bring back the soap!
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #34
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
I forgot who made that avatar, I'm guessing maybe KT? Whomever done it I request a remake with Richard Smith name on it. I would don that avatar for as long as it takes, until Smith is fired.

Time to start the pink soap avatar request petition. Bring back the soap!
I'l never make one of those again so sorry, someone else is going to have to do that.
Old 09-08-2008   #35
Hook'er
Veteran

Rep Power: 13 Hook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden cover

Quote:
We're soft...Friendly...

We have a lot of guys that want to play good football, but I don't see many that want to crush the opposition...

I've never seen a friendlier defense...Not a lot of nastiness over there...

I know a lot of folks won't agree with me, but it's JMO....

Our O-line is pretty friendly as well...

When an agressive team like the steelers comes at you and jumps on a nice team like the Texans it normally brings the ***** out of ya'....
Yep, were in troble in a couple weeks when we play in Tennessee, especially with no VY!
Old 09-08-2008   #36
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 109012 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

If Richard Smith were a rapper,he would be called "Vanilla D" .

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008   #37
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1688 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'd be shocked if Richard Smith was doing something so obviously detrimental to the team--like instructing our corners to give too big of a cusion--and no one said anything about it...

Ray Rhodes, Jon Hoke, and Kubiak are three guys that'd I'd expect to add some input come meeting time if Richard Smith's defense was so obviously bad...

He's been making the gametime calls for a while now...

Either his defensive scheme isn't as bad as it's made to sound around here or no one else on staff is paying attention or cares...

If giving less of a cusion was something that would probably help us out defensively I'd expect that suggestion to get thrown out there...
You have well-respected coaches out there in Rhodes and Hoke, though, and they're respected for a reason. They know their places, and they're not going to make waves. Just like Gibbs isn't going to step up and start telling Shanahan or Kubes how to design plays and run an offense, neither is Rhodes or Hoke. Now get Buddy Ryan here, and he might just start throwing punches - literally.
DerekLee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008   #38
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan JBZ View Post
I hate the Cowgirls, but let's see: Marion Barber, Tony Romo, Jason Witten, Demarcus Ware, Chris Canty, Terrence Newman, Patrick Crayton, Sam Hurd, Marcus Spears, Bradie James, and Roy Williams are all Parcells guys. Only reason he left is he got tired of Jerry Jones's meddling. Can't say I blame him. But Parcells track record is impeccable. Dolphins will be a force in about 2-3 years.
i completley agree with you on that about parcells. you look at the years jones had crappy coaches his draft picks sucked but with parcells calling gthe shots it was different.
LonerATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008   #39
feebleminded

Rep Power: 9068 feebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekLee1 View Post
You have well-respected coaches out there in Rhodes and Hoke, though, and they're respected for a reason. They know their places, and they're not going to make waves. Just like Gibbs isn't going to step up and start telling Shanahan or Kubes how to design plays and run an offense, neither is Rhodes or Hoke. Now get Buddy Ryan here, and he might just start throwing punches - literally.
Say what? You do know that Gibbs is the assistant HC right? I suspect that Kubes and Shanny dont wonder what Gibbs is thinking very often.
feebleminded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008   #40
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

At the heart of defense philosophy I believe is the addage not to give up the big play, hence the cushion.

I think that our coaches would prefer to die the death of a thousand cuts than be beheaded in one foul swoop.

The reason you don't see many people breaking on the ball and making picks I would suggest is a lack of talent and the aforementioned not wanting to give up the big play. The other factor is that the 2 x S rather than FS/SS approach also detracts from putting a true ball hawk back there.

I personally like bend don't break defense but we have got to stop the run and put some longer down/distance pressure on the passing game.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read