Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-07-2008   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The much dreaded "cushion"

Why is it that on every 3rd and 5, our DBs give a 6 yard cushion to the opposing teams WRs?

Why is it on every 3rd and 10, that cushion is 12 yards?
Every 3rd and 2, the cushion is 3 yards?

Are other teams WRs so good that they achieve separation whenever they want, or do we have some weird scheme?
Old 09-07-2008   #2
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135993 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The much dreaded "cushion"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Why is it that on every 3rd and 5, our DBs give a 6 yard cushion to the opposing teams WRs?

Why is it on every 3rd and 10, that cushion is 12 yards?
Every 3rd and 2, the cushion is 3 yards?

Are other teams WRs so good that they achieve separation whenever they want, or do we have some weird scheme?
It's that big "welcoming" hole our defense puts in the middle of the field.
Old 09-07-2008   #3
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Ive wondered that myself.. seems like the only time we ever defend a pass is if its 20+ yards downfield. And it seems like we NEVER jump a route and get the interception.

Ive wondered if we have some kind of bend but dont break defense that is designed to allow teams to get 5-7 yard pickups all day long.

if so..i hate it.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #4
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

Especially when on first and second we're in press coverage. Its almost backwards. Damn Richard Smith.
Old 09-07-2008   #5
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid View Post
Ive wondered that myself.. seems like the only time we ever defend a pass is if its 20+ yards downfield. And it seems like we NEVER jump a route and get the interception.

Ive wondered if we have some kind of bend but dont break defense that is designed to allow teams to get 5-7 yard pickups all day long.

if so..i hate it.
Whoever heard of playing prevent defense right from the get go, when the score is 0-0?
Richard Smith, you ridiculous man.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #6
Texan JBZ
Da Sip's Finest

Rep Power: 1065 Texan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

if so..i hate it.
It's more like bend, bend, bend, there goes the RB breaking for a TOUCHDOWN!
Old 09-07-2008   #7
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

We just don't have enough talent on defense for Dick Smith to whip out his bag of Super-Defense tricks. We've only got enough talent for him to use his "Be The Rock" therapy. Next week he's going to put a scented candle in each defenders locker only it will be crap scented to remind them of how much they stunk the week before. He'll telll them "Don't Be The Stink!" (but still be AGGRESSIVE!*)

*See how that was in red bold italics so it looked like it was going fast? That was classic Dick Smith Aggression. If you don't get it that's just because you don't have enough talent to get it.
Old 09-07-2008   #8
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

if so..i hate it.
Much love for our bend AND break tictacs :=)
Old 09-07-2008   #9
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3326 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

When it's even clear to me that the Texans always play zone when backed into the endzone, you have a problem. Every endzone pass play was designed to hit the weakspots of a cover 2.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #10
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135993 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
We just don't have enough talent on defense for Dick Smith to whip out his bag of Super-Defense tricks. We've only got enough talent for him to use his "Be The Rock" therapy. Next week he's going to put a scented candle in each defenders locker only it will be crap scented to remind them of how much they stunk the week before. He'll telll them "Don't Be The Stink!" (but still be AGGRESSIVE!*)

*See how that was in red bold italics so it looked like it was going fast? That was classic Dick Smith Aggression. If you don't get it that's just because you don't have enough talent to get it.
LOL

You're in my mood!
Old 09-07-2008   #11
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
LOL

You're in my mood!
Hey if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Those delusional fans fail to give in to the crap they see on the field, so might as well join them in their la-la land.
Old 09-07-2008   #12
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
Hey if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Those delusional fans fail to give in to the crap they see on the field, so might as well join them in their la-la land.
La-la land might be the perfect way to explain it.

I expect homerism on this board, but today it just doesn't make sense.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #13
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
You know, I know its only one game.

But I am pissed.

We looked like a weak, slow, amatuer team out there. We did nothing to kick the image of the laughable Texans football team. We reinforced it.

I want the Texans to be feared. Not laughed at.
Old 09-07-2008   #14
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Some of you folks mistake an unwillingness to bash the team as homerism.

I have my doubts about the team as well.. i just dont think 1 game.. especially a week 1 game.. is enough for me to call the whole season a bust.

I also think that people who cant criticize their team without being rude, insulting, or sarcastic.. are childish and unintelligent.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #15
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
You know, I know its only one game.

But I am pissed.

We looked like a weak, slow, amatuer team out there. We did nothing to kick the image of the laughable Texans football team. We reinforced it.

I want the Texans to be feared. Not laughed at.
We've been talked up to be a fast and athletic team, but from what I've seen out there today, all of that was the complete opposite. Our S, LB, CB were slow like molasses. When we have already given up a good portion of size to the other team, the only thing we can ask for is a upperhand in the speed category. Not today. They were all bigger, faster, and stronger then us.
Old 09-07-2008   #16
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Some of you folks mistake an unwillingness to bash the team as homerism.

I have my doubts about the team as well.. i just dont think 1 game.. especially a week 1 game.. is enough for me to call the whole season a bust.

I also think that people who cant criticize their team without being rude, insulting, or sarcastic.. are childish and unintelligent.
From many sources but this is where I got the quote: http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=452254

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie Iyer
Over the past six seasons, since the NFL adopted its current eight-division format, 68 percent of teams that won in Week 1 of the regular season (49 of 72) went on to qualify for the playoffs. So roughly, about 10 of every 16 losers of Week 1 games watch their playoff chances being reduced to bleak.
On average week 1 is more important than you are giving it credit for. True it seems like every season some team or another gets the snot pounded out of it on opeing day and then goes on to make a playoff run (The Patriots getting killed by Buffalo a few years back comes to mind) but it's more often that the teams sitting home lose on opening day than the other way around.
Old 09-07-2008   #17
Texan JBZ
Da Sip's Finest

Rep Power: 1065 Texan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respected

If Bum Phillips spoke about Richard Smith: "He can take his'n and you can run and pass all over em' or he can take your'n and make em' look just as bad".

Old 09-07-2008   #18
joedinkle
Veteran

Rep Power: 60 joedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respected

Hate all you want, but I know who I'm voting for this football season...

joedinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #19
Polo

I'd be shocked if Richard Smith was doing something so obviously detrimental to the team--like instructing our corners to give too big of a cusion--and no one said anything about it...

Ray Rhodes, Jon Hoke, and Kubiak are three guys that'd I'd expect to add some input come meeting time if Richard Smith's defense was so obviously bad...

He's been making the gametime calls for a while now...

Either his defensive scheme isn't as bad as it's made to sound around here or no one else on staff is paying attention or cares...

If giving less of a cusion was something that would probably help us out defensively I'd expect that suggestion to get thrown out there...
Old 09-07-2008   #20
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 109012 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

It just may be true.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read