Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-07-2008   #1
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 72233 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Talent and Coaching and Front Office

These items are being brought up on various threads, so I though I'd centralize them. Is it talent or coaching or front office?

I think you have to look at all three. This team has many holes, some of them the same since the new coaching staff got here.

No RB, a mediocre at best o-line, bad DBs, no pass rush. Haven't we heard this before? Why hasn't the coaching staff/front office been able to improve such chronically bad areas? They are the professionals at this, and if they are as error free as many think these weaknesses wouldn't still be there.

We have a lot of players on the field that wouldn't be starting anywhere else. If you blame it all on talent though, then Capers and crowd should still be here because they didn't have any talent either.

=====================================

The players shoulder a lot of blame too. I don't see a lot of leadership, and many players should be playing better than they do. For instance, someone like Schaub should be able to see defenders between him and the receiver. The o-line should look like they have some concept of playing as a unit too, and I don't see that for stretches.

=====================================

A lot of people took offense at the Texans over/under of 7.5 games or whatever it was. I posted at the time I thought it was reasonable and it looks like it might be.

If everything breaks right, this team's record could match the best of the Capers/Carr years!
Old 09-07-2008   #2
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Talent and Coaching and Front Office

I'll go a little deeper on the core problem.

The requirement of class and moral good standing is getting in the way of things.

I am not advocating rapists and murderers should be on the team or as coaches, but we need the best football players and coaches!
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #3
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 288222 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Our defense just gave up 38 pts and Willie Parker did what he wanted to on the ground
and you're asking what's wrong?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #4
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

It's a combination of all three, and if you've followed this team for any length of time, you know that front office decisions effect how much talent the team has, or doesn't have.

But just because the team hasn't had a winning season the first seven seasons, that in itself, will not produce a winning team any faster. All the amount of increased impatience and frustration isn't going to make any difference.

For this team to become a winner, it will take all three. Plus, a little luck. When is it going to happen? Who knows. But one thing's for sure, it will take longer than any of us want.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #5
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Mario is the only player that had a good game really.

We just look like a really bad football team.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #6
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 288222 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan View Post
I'll go a little deeper on the core problem.

The requirement of class and moral good standing is getting in the way of things.

I am not advocating rapists and murderers should be on the team or as coaches, but we need the best football players and coaches!
That's not it.
The Bengals have a stud QB (supposedly), two stud WRs, and are full of miscreants and they still lose

you need a defensive system that works and scouts that find guys to fit it.
Old 09-07-2008   #7
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 30093 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

Well a positive....Mario at this rate will have 32 sacks by the end of the season...the negative, our opponents will have scored 608 points
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-07-2008   #8
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak got Frank Bush in the off-season, before OTAs and TC. Frank could've came in and installed a defense with the Texans and have them learn it for two months, and it still couldn't had been worst then todays D. If Frank really was Kubiaks first choice, if he is suppose to be our future DC, then he should've been given the job during the off-season.

Kubiak shot himself in the foot on that decision. Now if he decides to fire Smith at some point this season then the new DC will either be using the same scheme as Smith or use his own's and have players have a crash course in it. If we wait until off-season then we'll be in the same boat as we were last off-season, which is ditch the old scheme and install a new. We could've done that before the season started but we decided to stick with Smith and use the OTAs, TC, and pre-season game learning/using his dumb scheme.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #9
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 281570 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Front Office - What I expect from a FO is to scout well and work with the coaches to get the kind of players that the coaches want. I expect the owner to communicate with his GM and coaches, but ultimately, give them the resources to do their job and get out of the way, while keeping an eye on results. I also expect the GM to draft sensible contracts with an eye to the future. I think our FO does a pretty good job.

Talent - we are deficient. We may disagree as to how deficient we are, but we don't have the horses to beat the consistent playoff teams on any sort of a regular basis. However, all teams have to get production from less than premium talent. Furthermore, teams need to get premium production from guys that they pay a premium for. In our case, that means Travis Johnson, Anthony Weaver, Amobi Okoye, Morlon Greenwood, Ahman Green, Matt Schaub, Duane Brown, and Eric Winston have to perform well. The obvious guys also have to perform well (AJ, Mario, Ryans). However comfortable you feel with that is probably a good indicator of your true expectations for this team.

Coaching - What I expect from coaching is to see player development. Duane Brown had a rough first game. He did some good things early, but he ultimately ended up playing like a rookie. It sucks, but that's how it is. Now I want to see how he develops over the next 15 games, and over the next couple years. I want to see how Okoye, Bennett, Molden, Diles, etc. develop. Fruthermore, I expect to see a scheme that overcomes deficiencies to a point. Kubiak's offense is a perfect counterpoint to Richard Smith's defense, actually. Kubiak's offense put up over 5K yards last year despite the injuries, subpar running game, and pathetic defense. If you gave Kubiak a Pro Bowl roster on offense, he'd put together a Super Bowl offense. If you gave Richard Smith a Pro Bowl roster on defense, he might get us into the top 12, maybe? When you see the other team consistently taking advantage of mismatches, you also expect to see the defense adjust. Kubiak, to his credit, has continually tried to surround himself with coaches to help with defense. He knows offense, and you can tell he wants help on defense. He's aware of his limitations, and he works to remedy them. This year, he brought in Ray Rhodes. We'll see. So far, no good, but it's only one game.

We have a coaching deficiency, at least with Richard Smith, and possibly with Jethro Franklin and Jon Hoke. This season, their jobs would be on the line, if I were in charge.
Old 09-07-2008   #10
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
That's not it.
The Bengals have a stud QB (supposedly), two stud WRs, and are full of miscreants and they still lose

you need a defensive system that works and scouts that find guys to fit it.
Your missing my point.

Excluding a player or two from your team could be the difference from bad/mediocre to good. Case in point, the Cedric Benson thread. Adam Jones. So on...

It seems the first criteria for selecting the front office, coaching staff, and players have nothing to do with what they actually are hired to do.
Old 09-07-2008   #11
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135371 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Our defense just gave up 38 pts and Willie Parker did what he wanted to on the ground
and you're asking what's wrong?
The Steelers could have told us they would run the ball every play, ran the ball every play, and we could not have stopped them today.

Pathetic.
Old 09-07-2008   #12
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan View Post
Your missing my point.

Excluding a player or two from your team could be the difference from bad/mediocre to good. Case in point, the Cedric Benson thread. Adam Jones. So on...

It seems the first criteria for selecting the front office, coaching staff, and players have nothing to do with what they actually are hired to do.
You are refering to the owner and yes I think he likes good citizens . Yes ... I think he'd nix a player who could help because of reputation .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #13
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11706 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't really see this as a talent, coaching, or FO thing. I see it more as an experience issue, especially with the O-line. Look what we have, a Rookie LT, a new Center, a RG that's only played a few games, and a somewhat new scheme (true ZB) taught by a new coach. Plus the fact that we are trying to pass more to set up the run with O-linemen that are not really built to be prime pass protectors. What I mean is, they are quick (though Brown didn't look too quick in pass protection) and light and built more for the ZB scheme. I guess they wanted to pass to set up the run because of the Steelers great run defense.

The bottom line is I'm not too upset about this loss. I knew this was going to be a brutal 5 game stretch, but I was hoping it would have been a little closer game today. I think the O-line (and Brown especially) is going to have to suck it up and get ready for Baltimore. It may take a little longer than I'd hoped it would for them to gel as a unit, but I 'm not pushing the panic button yet. JMHO!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #14
Texan JBZ
Da Sip's Finest

Rep Power: 1065 Texan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
The Steelers could have told us they would run the ball every play, ran the ball every play, and we could not have stopped them today.

Pathetic.

Maybe if we..I don't know..at least ATTEMPTED A RUN BLITZ SOMETIMES!
Old 09-07-2008   #15
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

enough of us believe that its either lack of coaching or lack of personnel. We're not stupid, ESPN-following, nincompoops, so we must both be right - I think someone said that already.

having established its some combination of both, which do we fix first?

Cut the slackers and bring in new players?
Old 09-07-2008   #16
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
I don't really see this as a talent, coaching, or FO thing. I see it more as an experience issue, especially with the O-line. Look what we have, a Rookie LT, a new Center, a RG that's only played a few games, and a somewhat new scheme (true ZB) taught by a new coach. Plus the fact that we are trying to pass more to set up the run with O-linemen that are not really built to be prime pass protectors. What I mean is, they are quick (though Brown didn't look too quick in pass protection) and light and built more for the ZB scheme. I guess they wanted to pass to set up the run because of the Steelers great run defense.

The bottom line is I'm not too upset about this loss. I knew this was going to be a brutal 5 game stretch, but I was hoping it would have been a little closer game today. I think the O-line (and Brown especially) is going to have to suck it up and get ready for Baltimore. It may take a little longer than I'd hoped it would for them to gel as a unit, but I 'm not pushing the panic button yet. JMHO!
that doesn't explain the lack of defense
Old 09-07-2008   #17
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
that doesn't explain the lack of defense
I have it on good authority that it's all on the talent. Richard Smith is powerless to do anything with these bums.
Old 09-07-2008   #18
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 281570 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I have it on good authority that it's all on the talent. Richard Smith is powerless to do anything with these bums.
Well, that part appears to be true, at least
Old 09-07-2008   #19
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3326 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

I personally don't like the tiny linebackers. Demeco is a "smaller" guy himself and needs bigger guys to balance it out. They have no shot against a pulling lineman. On the other hand, the Steelers' LB's were destroying the Texans OLine.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #20
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
You are refering to the owner and yes I think he likes good citizens . Yes ... I think he'd nix a player who could help because of reputation .
You need a few elite players to be a good team in the NFL. Of course, you need some mid-range players too to fill things out.

Of course, there are players that can pass this test, but they may not be available at the time you need them at the right price.

I understand the character component, but I think they imploy it way too often, which excludes a great number of players that could really help this team.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read