Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-07-2008   #61
yinzer
Rookie

Default Re: Defense TOO TALENTED to be THIS BAD? . . . umm NO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
No, no you got it all wrong. The league wants you to think Steelers>Texans. In reality we are the better team, minus the politics Goodell plays.
lol!!!! i knew there was something in the water in texas.
yinzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #62
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 164415 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzer View Post
lol!!!! i knew there was something in the water in texas.
Come on man, you guys kicked our butts today and there's no denying it. I personally feel like we got a bad spot on that particular 4th down play and that it stopped a drive. I don't think that in the grand scheme of things it would have made all that much difference because we got destroyed by a better team. It's not sour grapes to point out though that that spot was crap.

Still, Kubiak should have just said fine and moved on. The challenge was idiotic. Just move on and play the game.

Congrats on the win and we'll try to do better against the Rat Birds. We know how much you guys love them.
Old 09-07-2008   #63
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

NEWSFLASH: Richard Smith still sucks. Sports and weather at 11.
Old 09-07-2008   #64
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 114714 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

okay, so now what?
fire Richard Smith
cut Weaver, Greenwood, Reeves and let the younguns play
cut Schaub for playing stupid after he got nailed?
cut Leach for getting suckered and letting Schaub get nailed?

where do we begin?
Old 09-07-2008   #65
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63790 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
I keep reading this comment . . .

"This defense is way too talented to be this bad" . . .

Other than Mario, Demeco, and Amobi . . . who?
it's both but every other team doesn't have pro-bowlers at every position & don't look half as bad as we did on defense today. I mean for the first 3 drives, Big Ben was getting rid of the ball so quick, any pass rush that might've been generated was nullified. why is this? b/c this bum of a d-coordinator's scheme isn't disguised well, he makes his corners give a 10 yard cushion & at times what i've noticed, he's got our already light in the pants d-tackles (usually amobi) holding up 2 o-linemen. & if you're going to have at least one of your d-tackles doing that & the offense wants to run the ball, that's easy pickings.

Our passive ass defense is all richard smith & his garbage scheme....

I mean don't get me wrong, TJ, weaver & greenwood are just garbage & shouldn't be starters for any team, but with the speed amobi has, he should be in pass rush mode all the time so as to blow things up. why are you not allowing him to use that by shooting gaps? it just blows my mind.

his scheme & playcalling are compounding the problem. hey, here's a thought, how about trying to blitz when the offense least expects it instead of in the obvious situations.
& we sure as hell don't have the best talent, but this is going on 6 years & our secondary has consistently been eaten alive & hoke is the only common denominator in those 6 years......I'm just saying.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #66
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
it's both but every other team doesn't have pro-bowlers at every position & don't look half as bad as we did on defense today. I mean for the first 3 drives, Big Ben was getting rid of the ball so quick, any pass rush that might've been generated was nullified. why is this? b/c this bum of a d-coordinator's scheme isn't disguised well, he makes his corners give a 10 yard cushion & at times what i've noticed, he's got our already light in the pants d-tackles (usually amobi) holding up 2 o-linemen. & if you're going to have at least one of your d-tackles doing that & the offense wants to run the ball, that's easy pickings.

Our passive ass defense is all richard smith & his garbage scheme....

I mean don't get me wrong, TJ, weaver & greenwood are just garbage & shouldn't be starters for any team, but with the speed amobi has, he should be in pass rush mode all the time so as to blow things up. why are you not allowing him to use that by shooting gaps? it just blows my mind.

his scheme & playcalling are compounding the problem. hey, here's a thought, how about trying to blitz when the offense least expects it instead of in the obvious situations.
& we sure as hell don't have the best talent, but this is going on 6 years & our secondary has consistently been eaten alive & hoke is the only common denominator in those 6 years......I'm just saying.
At this point, I think I'd settle for a "garbage scheme."
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #67
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 157572 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
How many times have I got to post this ....the d-co-coordinator is doing precisely exactly what this HC wants.
You can post it as much as you want, but that doesn't make it true. Kubiak has a firm handle on the offense, but he is looking for his defensive guys to run with the ball. They are failing him. I'm sure Kubiak has a general plan for what he wants to accomplish on defense, but I seriously doubt he is dictating a defensive game plan. He's an offensive coach, and you can tell from his hirings that he is looking for defensive coaches that can complement his skill set.
Old 09-07-2008   #68
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Crappy DC-Bad Talent = What we saw today.

I can't believe we did't totally clean house when the new regime took over.

Left overs from the old regime
1. Riley Most injuries in the league (Multiple Years)
2. Hoke Worst secondary in league " "
3. Greir Not one significant FA signing, contributed to salary cap disaster. ( Been here since inception)

Put all of this together with Dick Smith as our DC & it makes me question our leadership from Mr. McNair on down. Mr.McNair knows how to make money though. Could this be Bud Adams the sequel.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #69
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I've seen people like Jeff Fisher do more with less with a defense

(like Herv said about Shula)

one game doesn't make a season but like vinny said, nfl season is a sprint so we just got out of the blocks late
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008   #70
dickieb
Veteran

Rep Power: 148 dickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
You can post it as much as you want, but that doesn't make it true. Kubiak has a firm handle on the offense, but he is looking for his defensive guys to run with the ball. They are failing him. I'm sure Kubiak has a general plan for what he wants to accomplish on defense, but I seriously doubt he is dictating a defensive game plan. He's an offensive coach, and you can tell from his hirings that he is looking for defensive coaches that can complement his skill set.
Kubiak said something in an interview I think on Texans TV about as a head coach there is too much going on to get into all the details of every part of the team and that you have to trust or have faith in your assistants to get the job done. I believe ultimately the head coach is responsible but I think he does give his coordinators some free will especially on the defensive side of the ball. That's why I think we can look at the coaching on defense and have discontent toward the DC - Richard Smith.

The thing that is starting to piss me off is that as a Head Coach during your evalutions of self and of the team you need to find the weak link and replace it! Sometimes it is not easy to do but if it is firing someone who deserves it and replacing them with someone that is available (maybe already on the staff) THEN DO IT! DO IT ALL NIGHT LONG! Blind faith is just RETARTED at least as a NFL Head Coach! I like Kubiak but he needs to start making some moves.
Old 09-09-2008   #71
Polo

Maybe Kubiak doesn't think Smith is doing as bad a job as some here think...
Old 09-09-2008   #72
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 30712 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
okay, so now what?
fire Richard Smith
cut Weaver, Greenwood, Reeves and let the younguns play
cut Schaub for playing stupid after he got nailed?
cut Leach for getting suckered and letting Schaub get nailed?

where do we begin?
I'll take fire Richard Smith for $500 Alex.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008   #73
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 30712 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
Maybe Kubiak doesn't think Smith is doing as bad a job as some here think...

IF that is the case than Kubiak needs to be fired too.

Old 09-09-2008   #74
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
IF that is the case than Kubiak needs to be fired too.

Na...

Kubiak's probably right...

BTW...He explained last night why we had a MLB on Hines Ward...
Old 09-09-2008   #75
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Crappy DC-Bad Talent = What we saw today.

I can't believe we did't totally clean house when the new regime took over.

Left overs from the old regime
1. Riley Most injuries in the league (Multiple Years)
2. Hoke Worst secondary in league " "
3. Greir Not one significant FA signing, contributed to salary cap disaster. ( Been here since inception)

Put all of this together with Dick Smith as our DC & it makes me question our leadership from Mr. McNair on down. Mr.McNair knows how to make money though. Could this be Bud Adams the sequel.
No. A Bud Adams sequel would have in house fighting, brash moves, conflict, turmoil, bad media and public relations, Division titles, playoff wins, and respect.

If this is a sequel its a bad one.

Old 09-09-2008   #76
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
Na...

Kubiak's probably right...

BTW...He explained last night why we had a MLB on Hines Ward...
He kinda half explained it, he said he thinks they were in a zone and the safety was supposed to come down and help on the play but didnt.

But even so, to even call that coverage you should get fired.

I remember after Jim Eddie got fired the players commented on how half the time they ignored him and called the right coverages themselves in the huddle. Why cant our players do the same?

Old 09-09-2008   #77
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57147 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickieb View Post
The thing that is starting to piss me off is that as a Head Coach during your evalutions of self and of the team you need to find the weak link and replace it! Sometimes it is not easy to do but if it is firing someone who deserves it and replacing them with someone that is available (maybe already on the staff) THEN DO IT! DO IT ALL NIGHT LONG! Blind faith is just RETARTED at least as a NFL Head Coach! I like Kubiak but he needs to start making some moves.
He will.

He just won't do it until the season is over.

Which is the way it should be. Fans might be knee-jerks, but coaches are not.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008   #78
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4090 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Moves should be done whenever it is need to alow the team to win.

And we should try to win at all cost.
Old 09-09-2008   #79
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
No. A Bud Adams sequel would have in house fighting, brash moves, conflict, turmoil, bad media and public relations, Division titles, playoff wins, and respect.

If this is a sequel its a bad one.
I didn't think of the sequel like this.

Unfortunately you are right on this one.

Sad but true
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008   #80
spurstexanstros
Texans Rising

Rep Power: 2316 spurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respected

Bud Adams....... please do not use such profanity on the board. that guy makes me sick. This organization is in far better shape than before. The Texans need to make stops on third down. that is the bottom line.
spurstexanstros is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read