Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-07-2008   #41
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Defense TOO TALENTED to be THIS BAD? . . . umm NO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I never said I wanted to "sweep Kubes out" and start over. I said that we need to keep going with hiring better assistants.

One of the commonly stated reasons for our assistants sucking so damned bad under Capers was that "these were the guys who were available when we were hiring" and the very same thing has been said about Kubiak. He supposedly wanted to bring in Frank Bush but he wasn't available so he elevated Smith who had been hired to coach linebackers to the DC spot.

Now why is Gary Kubiak's second (let me repeat that, SECOND) choice for DC still in charge when Frank Bush is on staff? Ray Rhodes is on staff?

Nobody better than Richard Smith became available over the last two years?

That's what I'm saying. What you were talking about I have no idea.
How many times have I got to post this ....the d-co-coordinator is doing precisely exactly what this HC wants. When you bang Smith....you ARE banging the HC. Now you may want to split it up to make the cut easier to take ? Ok. Kubiak isn't going to change. Y'all want to start over fine. I'll believe Kubes throws smith over the ships rail when I see it. And what I'll know is that act won't be coming from Kubiack. That'll be a mandate from Bob McNair.

Last edited by Hervoyel; 09-07-2008 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Language
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #42
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 128458 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I agree that the Steelers have a system. Mike Tomlin inherited the system. Heck, Bill Cowher inherited it. They know what type of players they want, and they know how to develop them into quality NFL players. It's a system that's been used in Pittsburgh for decades, now. And it didn't happen overnight.

The average Steelers defender is in his 6th season with the team. He became a starter in his 3rd year. The Steelers defense is homegrown, with only 2 starters coming in free agency (Farrior & Clark). They don't rush young players. They don't rebuild, they reload. The Steelers defense is the (black &) gold standard in the NFL.

The Texans have some nice building blocks on defense. Just not enough, yet. What the Texans do not have is the required vision to implement the their talent nor the coaching to adequately develop them. I think the Texans could become a good defense with a coaching staff that can scheme and teach. But, they'll still need more talent to become great.
I understand completely what you are saying.

I do not think Richard Smith has any goal in mind. He is improvising.

If he needs more talent, which I agree he does, he needs to identify what he wants and go get it.
Old 09-07-2008   #43
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209676 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
You want other stars? I can't give them to you because they aren't there. Tell me how many "stars" the Steelers have on their defense? How many do the Colts have? Lets get a little closer to our level. How many do the Broncos have?

When someone says this defense is too talented to be this bad they aren't saying that we've got 11 stars starting on that side of the ball. They're saying we have NFL caliber players at every position and that they should be more competitive than the mess we're seeing today in Pittsburgh.

Do you recall the Bum Phillips quote about Don Shula where he said:

Well, if he'd been talking about Richard Smith it would have gone something like "He can take his'n and you can run and pass all over em' or he can take your'n and make em' look just as bad".

Even when your defensive players "suck," you expect some "suck" adjustments. But when your adjustment just plain sucks (as in non-existent), you may have to conclude at one point in time that your defensive coordinator might just plain suck eggs too.

Richard Smith needs to be informed that there will be one and only one alternative afforded him, the next time his suck adjustment index sucks.:

CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #44
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan JBZ View Post
Wow, there's an understatement! I've heard this talent argument until I'm about blue in the face. If Richard Smith knows the defense is lacking in overall talent, there is only one thing he can possibly do then: CREATE TOTAL FU%#&%G CHAOS!!! That is exactly what Lebeau does. You think that the Steelers have an above-average secondary? Who would even know with the kind of chaos their front seven creates. I can't count the number of times the Texans played their base, non-attacking defense today. One blitz I do remember is when he finally called an overload blitz and Mario got the sack that caused the fumble. How many times did he run that same blitz, or even a variation of it, the rest of the game? None by my count.
Dick>Smith

Ok, and ?
Old 09-07-2008   #45
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13708 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

We have a couple of really good players on defense to build around in Mario and Demeco, but the rest of the defense is nothing to brag about.

The def line is a big issue other than Mario and the jury is still out on Okeyo (sp). Weaver and Johnson are providing nothing right now, they represent the stupid moves that the prior gm made over and over. I thought Johnson was a reach to be drafted in the 1st round then and I havent seen anything in 3yrs to prove otherwise. Weaver was brought here to to play de and he's gotten one sack in the last 17 games. I want to know one team that wouldnt have realeased his ass already.

We have a good young pro bowl mlb but the jury is still out on the others Greenwood had a pretty good year last year but for the money they prior gm signed him for he hasnt provided what was expected. This still goes back to Casserly being a bad personal man end of story. Zac Diles has some potential but he was still a late round pick so pretty much whatever you get out of him he has to be considered an overachiever.

In the secondary we have Bennett at cb and he has played well for a mid round pick but he wasnt drafted to be a shutdown corner he was drafted to provide depth. I dont think we would look near as bad if Dunta was healthy and in the lineup but considering the type of injury he had I am not sure we can ever expect him to be the same. The safeties aren't talented and thats not a suprise. We all remember Demps was on the street at one point and injuries made his sign him. If he was starter material I wonder why he was on the street, I know he was an alternate for the pro bowl but he doesnt seem that good and thats just my opinion. The main responsibility of the fs is to not get beat deep and we saw that happen a couple times today. The wanna be coaches have wanted an upgrade over CC Brown for years now but they keep sending him out there so either the personel people dont see a need to upgrade or he is at least serviceable so thats why he is here. I guess at least he comes on the cheat.

Its still pretty simple there are about 4 guys on our defense that would start for most teams we only have 3 in the lineup with Dunta being out. I hope he can come back soon and at 100 % or else we better score a lot of points or we are going to lose a lot of games.
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #46
austintexanite
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Other teams don't have allstars at every position........our sucky defense goes beyond just the "lack of talent". Our scheme just plain sucks. Teams usually play vanilla defense in preseason, we play it all year.
My thoughts exactly, I would have thought after last year that we would have blitzed some more coming into todays game and obviously we did not. What frustrates me the most is that we adjusted too late and gave the Steelers WRs too much cushion. Our defense scheme is horrible and too simple to attack.

On offense, it reminded me of the 05' season with a certain quarterback who got rattled very early. Schaub needs to toughen up or see a shrink. Mario and Dre were the only bright spots for me.
Old 09-07-2008   #47
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
You give Dick LeBeau as much time as Richard Smith has had and he would have found the players he wanted. Because he knows what he wants.

What does Richard Smith want?
A defense that will coach and make a scheme by itself?

If you ask some people he needs pro-bowl talent at every position to see what he can really do.

Herv spot on again. I really hope for all Kubiak has done positive for the offense if he does keep Smith around it could cost him his job. I just really hope it doesn't take more then this season to realize it.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-07-2008   #48
Polo

My mind still hasn't changed about Richard Smith or his talent...

Not a great coordinator, Not great talent...

I don't think Smith deserves to be fired though....Ultimately the blame for poor defense will fall on his shoulders though...
Old 09-07-2008   #49
Texan JBZ
Da Sip's Finest

Rep Power: 1065 Texan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by austintexanite View Post
Our defense scheme is horrible and too simple to attack.
Good Lord man! What are you doing blaming the defensive scheme that Richard Smith employs? Don't you know we have an abundant lack of talent? Hell, everyone knows that!
Old 09-07-2008   #50
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14478 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

hmm i dont think we where out coached

Miss matched and really it comes down is they one in the trenches they out physicaled us time for us to hit the gym agian
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #51
yinzer
Rookie

denial is an ugly thing. how come i keep reading about how the stillers don't have any stars on their team? if that's the case, you just got it handed to you by a bunch of scrubs then. right? accept this for what it is. YOU GOT BEAT BY A WAY BETTER TEAM.
yinzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #52
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 128458 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzer View Post
denial is an ugly thing. how come i keep reading about how the stillers don't have any stars on their team? if that's the case, you just got it handed to you by a bunch of scrubs then. right? accept this for what it is. YOU GOT BEAT BY A WAY BETTER TEAM.
I hope you are right.

If that's not the case, we really have problems.
Old 09-07-2008   #53
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14478 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

This IS NOT THE END OF THE WORLD GUYZ its just one game

i sure we will man up and play good for the first home game

When i go to that game i wanna hear the Fans go APE shit and i know they will we did it last year

I cant wait for the bull head and FIRE and people going crazy !!!!
Old 09-07-2008   #54
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Nope the ref screwed us, just like last year against the Jags. It's obvious we're the way better team, but Roger Goodell just doesn't want to see us succeed. Don't cha know? Football is all about politics, Steelers are leagues favorites, Texans is not, thus causing us to lose on opening day.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #55
Polo

Quote:
Pretty much.
Old 09-07-2008   #56
Norg
Hall of Fame

SOme refs are crokked IMO and i beleive that but some are not it all depends on where u play home or away etc etc etc some reffs also need to get there eyes checked because they have poor vision
Old 09-07-2008   #57
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 29448 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

Quote:
SOme refs are crokked
You mean some of them are dead and making these calls? NO WONDER!!!
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #58
yinzer
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
SOme refs are crokked IMO and i beleive that but some are not it all depends on where u play home or away etc etc etc some reffs also need to get there eyes checked because they have poor vision
alright, alright. you people are delirious. the REFS screwed you???!!!!!! how did they screw you out of 3 t.d's and 2 picks by schaub? you got your asses handed to you plain and simple. maybe next time. wow.
yinzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #59
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post

JohnsonFan, are you back?
Old 09-07-2008   #60
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
alright, alright. you people are delirious. the REFS screwed you???!!!!!! how did they screw you out of 3 t.d's and 2 picks by schaub? you got your asses handed to you plain and simple. maybe next time. wow.
No, no you got it all wrong. The league wants you to think Steelers>Texans. In reality we are the better team, minus the politics Goodell plays.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read