Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-07-2008   #21
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Defense TOO TALENTED to be THIS BAD? . . . umm NO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Don't count on it. If Dick stays another year I'm betting he seals Kubiak's fate too.
Putting LBs on opposing teams top WR.

Dropping slow DE like Weaver back into coverage.

Giving huge cushions to WR.

If you don't think that bad coaching then I don't know what it'll take for people to get it. Some of the things that people think are right and would defend is totally beyond me, I just don't understand.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #22
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
I keep reading this comment . . .

"This defense is way too talented to be this bad" . . .

Other than Mario, Demeco, and Amobi . . . who?
Can you honestly say that you actually keep reading this comment???

It was said once in the gameday thread and I haven't seen it anywhere else. This is not the consensus opinion on the board and I don't think that it needs a thread devoted to something one person said.

If I'm wrong, then sorry, but I have not seen people say this as much as you make it seem like.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #23
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 191772 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post

If you don't think that bad coaching then I don't know what it'll take for people to get it. Some of the things that people think are right and would defend is totally beyond me, I just don't understand.
Maybe it's just me or maybe you don't do this in the pros but when it was 35-3 ... I'd tried to find someone out there who was interested in playing .

I agree the DC is not so hot but how do you show up opening day and let a team do what it wants .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #24
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 130706 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

You give Dick LeBeau as much time as Richard Smith has had and he would have found the players he wanted. Because he knows what he wants.

What does Richard Smith want?
Old 09-07-2008   #25
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Maybe it's just me or maybe you don't do this in the pros but when it was 35-3 ... I'd tried to find someone out there who was interested in playing .

I agree the DC is not so hot but how do you show up opening day and let a team do what it wants .
I think it'll be hard to find someone out on the side that would want to play. I felt horrible just watching it through my TV, imagine how hard it is to be a player on the team witnessing first hand the destruction on the field. I think most of the players just wanted to get the embarrassment over with.

What a horrible feeling to have, to see a team do whatever it wants to you, whenever, and you can't stop it.
Old 09-07-2008   #26
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
don't count Amobi.
he's not on the stat sheet
Even Zgonina had two tackles
Amobi didn't even get an assist
Yep, not a single assist let alone a couple solo tackles for Amobi. No wonder, its very challenging to tackle the ball carrier when you're being pushed backwards 10-15 yards by the guy across the los from you. But Amobi really had a disappointing game.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #27
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 85602 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
I keep reading this comment . . .

"This defense is way too talented to be this bad" . . .

Other than Mario, Demeco, and Amobi . . . who?
Quote:
Originally Posted by allstars View Post
Can you honestly say that you actually keep reading this comment???

It was said once in the gameday thread and I haven't seen it anywhere else. This is not the consensus opinion on the board and I don't think that it needs a thread devoted to something one person said.

If I'm wrong, then sorry, but I have not seen people say this as much as you make it seem like.
Go back and look at the game day threads of the preseason games, and go back and look at all the "Fire Richard Smith" threads. You'll see them.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-07-2008   #28
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 269943 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
You give Dick LeBeau as much time as Richard Smith has had and he would have found the players he wanted. Because he knows what he wants.

What does Richard Smith want?

And that's all I'm saying.

And when Dick LeBeau was out of work following his termination as the Bengals head coach did he get a call from the Houston Texans? Hell no. Dom Capers had the immortal Vic Fangio who has never once been successful in his entire career guiding our defense at the time.

We have a tradition of digging deep down in the toilet for our assistant coaches here in Houston. That's started to change recently with Gibbs and Rhodes but we need to keep going with that.
Old 09-07-2008   #29
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post

Obviously, they over estimated the DT's ablity to stop the run. I mean when you get right down to it if you wanna bang the coaches, this game was lost the moment Maddox was let go and Okam was left dangling on the IA list. Someone over estimated the LB's and Dt's ability to defend the run. The Steelers will pummel you if you give them third and short too many times. I mean when the radio play by play guys are using terms like hot spoon through ice cream describing the rusihng assault the Steelers o-line was doing to our d-line, that's pretty bad.

Travis Johnson is a blue collar warm body. Nothing more. After three years, projecting anything more onto him is like saying you believe a donkey can compete at the Kentucky derby. Same with Weaver and Greenwood. These guys are not going to have break through years. They are not going to get any better. They are what they are. '85 bears....please. give me a break.

That's just silly.
Old 09-07-2008   #30
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And that's all I'm saying.

And when Dick LeBeau was out of work following his termination as the Bengals head coach did he get a call from the Houston Texans? Hell no. Dom Capers had the immortal Vic Fangio who has never once been successful in his entire career guiding our defense at the time.

We have a tradition of digging deep down in the toilet for our assistant coaches here in Houston. That's started to change recently with Gibbs and Rhodes but we need to keep going with that.
Now you wanna sweep Kubes out and start over....fine. But we aren't go any where switching back and fourth from 3-4 to 4-3. Some of us said at the time it was going to take at least three years to make that type of a switch. Now you want to switch back again and start over ? When you got Kubiak you got the complete package. Offensive genius...Broncos Protege. I do not understand the inter changeable safety concept. I do not understand the old veterans vs the youngsters at the back up spots. But that is what he knows. That is how he was trained. He isn't going to change. I mean when was the last time you saw an Aggie stand up and tell the world he was wrong about anything. Either you give this guy the time he requires or you start over. Smith goes, Kubiack goes. Smith may fall on the sword for Kubaik's philosophies...but they are the HC's philosophies. As much as I disagree with some of his stuff I do not want to start over. That would mean another four years in he77. Already been there.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 09-07-2008 at 04:28 PM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #31
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 191772 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Obviously, they over estimated the DT's ablity to stop the run. I mean when you get right down to it if you wanna bang the coaches, this game was lost the moment Maddox was let go and Okam was left dangling on the IA list. Someone over estimated the LB's and Dt's ability to defend the run. The Steelers will pummel you if you give them third and short too many times. I mean when the radio play by play guys are using terms like hot spoon through ice cream describing the rusihng assault the Steelers o-line was doing to our d-line, that's pretty bad.

Travis Johnson is a blue collar warm body. Nothing more. After three years, projecting anything more onto him is like saying you believe a donkey can compete at the Kentucky derby. Same with Weaver and Greenwood. These guys are not going to have break through years. They are not going to get any better. They are what they are. '85 bears....please. give me a break.

That's just silly.
It was mentioned I think after the Dallas game that having two DTs at 300 lbs will get you shoved backwards by power running teams .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #32
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 130706 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Now you wanna sweep Kubes out and start over....fine. But we aren't go any where switching back and fourth from 3-4 to 4-3. Some of us said at the time it was going to take at least three years to make that type of a switch. Now you want to switch back again and start over. When you got kubiak you got the complete package. Offensive genius...Broncos Protagee. I do not understand the inter changeable safety concept. I do not understand the old veterans vs the youngsters at the back up spots. But that is what he knows. That is how he was trained. He isn't going to change. I mean when was the last time you saw an aggie stand up and tell the world he was wrong about anything. Either you give this guy the time he requires or you start over. Smith goes, Kubiack goes. Smith may fall on the sword for Kubaik's philosophies...but they are the HC's philosophies. As much as I disagree with some of his stuff I do not want to start over. That would mean another four years in he77. Already been there.
This is not about the 3-4 or the 4-3.

This is about knowing what you want and going after the talent to make it happen.

Its not just the play calling on Sunday. Its all week. All offseason. Have a plan. Get the people that can get it done.
Old 09-07-2008   #33
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 269943 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Now you wanna sweep Kubes out and start over....fine. But we aren't go any where switching back and fourth from 3-4 to 4-3. Some of us said at the time it was going to take at least three years to make that type of a switch. Now you want to switch back again and start over. When you got kubiak you got the complete package. Offensive genius...Broncos Protagee. I do not understand the inter changeable safety concept. I do not understand the old veterans vs the youngsters at the back up spots. But that is what he knows. That is how he was trained. He isn't going to change. I mean when was the last time you saw an aggie stand up and tell the world he was wrong about anything. Either you give this guy the time he requires or you start over. Smith goes, Kubiack goes. Smith may fall on the sword for Kubaik's philosophies...but they are the HC's philosophies. As much as I disagree with some of his stuff I do not want to start over. That would mean another four years in he77. Already been there.

I never said I wanted to "sweep Kubes out" and start over. I said that we need to keep going with hiring better assistants.

One of the commonly stated reasons for our assistants sucking so damned bad under Capers was that "these were the guys who were available when we were hiring" and the very same thing has been said about Kubiak. He supposedly wanted to bring in Frank Bush but he wasn't available so he elevated Smith who had been hired to coach linebackers to the DC spot.

Now why is Gary Kubiak's second (let me repeat that, SECOND) choice for DC still in charge when Frank Bush is on staff? Ray Rhodes is on staff?

Nobody better than Richard Smith became available over the last two years?

That's what I'm saying. What you were talking about I have no idea.
Old 09-07-2008   #34
Texan JBZ
Da Sip's Finest

Rep Power: 1065 Texan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post

Don't stop there J-Russ. How about not calling one run blitz on the first two series of the second half. How about not blitzing anyone on 3rd & 9 against Byron Leftwich. How about the third down TD to Hines Ward when no one blitzed. I can keep going on, and on, and on, and on, and.......
Old 09-07-2008   #35
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I never said I wanted to "sweep Kubes out" and start over. I said that we need to keep going with hiring better assistants.

One of the commonly stated reasons for our assistants sucking so damned bad under Capers was that "these were the guys who were available when we were hiring" and the very same thing has been said about Kubiak. He supposedly wanted to bring in Frank Bush but he wasn't available so he elevated Smith who had been hired to coach linebackers to the DC spot.

Now why is Gary Kubiak's second (let me repeat that, SECOND) choice for DC still in charge when Frank Bush is on staff? Ray Rhodes is on staff?

Nobody better than Richard Smith became available over the last two years?

That's what I'm saying. What you were talking about I have no idea.
Yep. Agreed. Hope someone ask him about that on the press conference tomorrow.
Old 09-07-2008   #36
PhilpW
Irish-American

Rep Power: 349 PhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respected

We have no identity on defense. We aren't a fast team to make up for a weak pass rush or run man-to-man with anyone, and we certainly are not a smash mouth defense. I can't tell what our defense is trying to do out there.
PhilpW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #37
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan JBZ View Post
Don't stop there J-Russ. How about not calling one run blitz on the first two series of the second half. How about not blitzing anyone on 3rd & 9 against Byron Leftwich. How about the third down TD to Hines Ward when no one blitzed. I can keep going on, and on, and on, and on, and.......
Preach on brotha.

The last 2-3 hours has became a big blur to me. I think I might've fainted somewhere between the mid 1st quarter to late 3rd quarter of the game. Too much ****ty defense for me to handle.
Old 09-07-2008   #38
Polo

Richard Smith didn't coach a great game, but our players werer just beaten all day by more talented players...

Greenwood too slow on the edge, DB's too soft on the edge, manhandled in the run game, Mario the only one on the d-line getting sacks...

Richard Smith can go or leave...doesn't matter much too me...

Now there's some players on defense that absolutely must be replaced...
Old 09-07-2008   #39
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
I agree that the Steelers have a system. Mike Tomlin inherited the system. Heck, Bill Cowher inherited it. They know what type of players they want, and they know how to develop them into quality NFL players. It's a system that's been used in Pittsburgh for decades, now. And it didn't happen overnight.

The average Steelers defender is in his 6th season with the team. He became a starter in his 3rd year. The Steelers defense is homegrown, with only 2 starters coming in free agency (Farrior & Clark). They don't rush young players. They don't rebuild, they reload. The Steelers defense is the (black &) gold standard in the NFL.

The Texans have some nice building blocks on defense. Just not enough, yet. What the Texans do not have is the required vision to implement the their talent nor the coaching to adequately develop them. I think the Texans could become a good defense with a coaching staff that can scheme and teach. But, they'll still need more talent to become great.
Old 09-07-2008   #40
Texan JBZ
Da Sip's Finest

Rep Power: 1065 Texan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
Richard Smith didn't coach a great game, but our players werer just beaten all day by more talented players...

Greenwood too slow on the edge, DB's too soft on the edge, manhandled in the run game, Mario the only one on the d-line getting sacks...

Richard Smith can go or leave...doesn't matter much too me...

Now there's some players on defense that absolutely must be replaced...
Wow, there's an understatement! I've heard this talent argument until I'm about blue in the face. If Richard Smith knows the defense is lacking in overall talent, there is only one thing he can possibly do then: CREATE TOTAL FU%#&%G CHAOS!!! That is exactly what Lebeau does. You think that the Steelers have an above-average secondary? Who would even know with the kind of chaos their front seven creates. I can't count the number of times the Texans played their base, non-attacking defense today. One blitz I do remember is when he finally called an overload blitz and Mario got the sack that caused the fumble. How many times did he run that same blitz, or even a variation of it, the rest of the game? None by my count.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read