Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-03-2008   #21
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 4279 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Left tackle resolved?

Short of injury I think that we have found our starter.

Old 09-03-2008   #22
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Caution be damned, Brown is the answer we have all wanted all our lives.

Spencer was nothing compared to the ballerina bear that is Duane Brown.

Hmmm not the exact imagery I was looking for...
Old 09-03-2008   #23
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Caution be damned, Brown is the answer we have all wanted all our lives.

Spencer was nothing compared to the ballerina bear that is Duane Brown.

Hmmm not the exact imagery I was looking for...
I think the imagery you're looking for is right here:

Old 09-03-2008   #24
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

color me skeptical. color this game ugly. We won't know anything more about db than we know now. Pittsburgh is going to kick our ass in every facet of the game...no need to draw conclusions from that.

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008   #25
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
err, is that code for something???
No. I'm trying to think of ways to break jinxes. Some cultures believe in animal sacrifice. At this point, I'd love anything anyone could do for our left tackle position not to be an issue any more.
Old 09-03-2008   #26
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtbound07 View Post
color me skeptical. color this game ugly. We won't know anything more about db than we know now. Pittsburgh is going to kick our ass in every facet of the game...no need to draw conclusions from that.
I bet people said the same thing before we played Carolina last year

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008   #27
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
Well...if you track back what i said before carolina..it was along the lines of

JESUS, my fever is 105 degrees. Am i dying? This sucks. This hospital has crappy internet.

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-03-2008   #28
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
Chiefs. Larry Johnson was supposed to run all over us while we put up no fight at all. We had no receivers outside of AJ, and Mario Williams was a complete bust at that point last season. The Chiefs had gone to the playoffs last year, and although they exited early, it didn't matter, they were a playoff team and we were not.

Yeah that was a sweet win.
Old 09-03-2008   #29
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Chiefs. Larry Johnson was supposed to run all over us while we put up no fight at all. We had no receivers outside of AJ, and Mario Williams was a complete bust at that point last season. The Chiefs had gone to the playoffs last year, and although they exited early, it didn't matter, they were a playoff team and we were not.

Yeah that was a sweet win.
I love the optimism and I hope we come out more of a complete team than what we have seen recently. But we are on the road in Pitt of all places.... I am forcing my self to be cautious.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008   #30
kcdoubleeagle
Veteran

Rep Power: 475 kcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respected

well...if he can just hold his own this year that would be unbelievable...left tackles usually need a few years before they are worth a crap. so far he looks good, though....
kcdoubleeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008   #31
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 96739 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
No. I'm trying to think of ways to break jinxes. Some cultures believe in animal sacrifice. At this point, I'd love anything anyone could do for our left tackle position not to be an issue any more.
yeah... my post was an attempt at a choke the chicken joke that went over like a lead balloon...

go sacrifice poultry... ie., choke the chicken... <insert rim shot>...

Thank you ladies and germs, I'll be here all weekend, don't forget to tip your wait staff.

Last edited by michaelm; 09-03-2008 at 11:10 PM.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008   #32
b0ng
Ooops

Now I don't feel so bad at my small yet budding comedy career at the water cooler.
Old 09-04-2008   #33
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 96739 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Now I don't feel so bad at my small yet budding comedy career at the water cooler.
I was booed off the cooler years ago. Nobody's more critical than a thirsty heckler.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008   #34
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
He got worked a bit against Dallas, but still gave up no sacks. By the same tokem, that was Ware on a lot of those plays.
"Here's a little news flash for all those naysayers and nonbelievers. I'm not going to Houston to seek their good opinion. I'm going to Houston to serve the loyal fans of this great city."

Signed
Duane Palin Brown.

Seriously, TB. I'll tell you what. Kubiak and Shanahan and Gibbs and all of 'em would grade Duane Brown the highest among all the linemen in that game. In all the pre-season games to be exact.

In the gurls' game, there was only one play I believe Gibbs would make him watch the game film over and over again.

No, it's not that reverse by Walter. Brown did great on that play.

No, not the TD from MS to Walter.

Not even the last offensive play of the first half (on 3rd and 3) in which Ware got a piece of MS's jersey. I can live with Brown getting beat off the edge in 2 secs. It would take the rusher another 1/2 or so to get to the QB. MS could have stepped up into the pocket a bit sooner anyway.

That would be the 2nd play in the 2nd half in which MS was still able to complete a 12 yd pass to A.D. with pressure from Ware.
It's the second biggest sins for a OT, IMO, to let the pass rusher inside to your QB. Even though this one also took about 2 secs plus.
You don't want to see your QB landing on his back!!!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008   #35
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 115090 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
err, is that code for something???
I know that Pedro Cerrano wanted to sacrifice a chicken to Jobu before a game in the movie major league... Jake came up with the idea and Willy Mays Hayes brought KFC instead of using a live chicken. Alas, it didn't help Cerrano..
Old 09-04-2008   #36
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14190 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Pre-season is over and Duane Brown was never manhandled in my opinion. I'm sure he was not perfect, but to my untrained eye, he did quite well and should get better with NFL experience. Pittsburgh should be a very good test.
Could it be this trade down selection could be the resolution many of us have clamored for? Could next year draft happen without me screaming "get a left tackle"?

To get a decent starter and more in a trade down could be the best trade Texans ever accomplished. Hope I am not sobbing after Sunday.
The trade also landed us Steve Slaton. So yeah, if both those picks turn out to be great we could have probably the best draft day deal ever in our franchise's short history.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008   #37
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
The trade also landed us Steve Slaton. So yeah, if both those picks turn out to be great we could have probably the best draft day deal ever in our franchise's short history.
I think Dominique Barber is still on team and he was part of that trade also.
Old 09-04-2008   #38
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
It's all but completely premature to declare we've now got a permanent solution to our LT issues. Brown has played not a single snap in a single NFL regular season game, where he will see blitzs, stunts, etc. and the kind of individual effort from DLine personnel across from him he is yet to experience. What we've seen in his preseason performances is encouraging and therefor offers hope we've now found a franchise LT, but not until Sunday in Pittsburg do the real tests begin.
Agreed, but having said that, other defenses did not see our full offense either. I think there will be several plays especially in the game with Pittsburgh designed to catch defense off guard. I will soon start a thread in that regard.
Old 09-04-2008   #39
CLTEXAN_FAN
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 CLTEXAN_FAN was voted MVPCLTEXAN_FAN was voted MVPCLTEXAN_FAN was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansLucky13 View Post
Short of injury I think that we have found our starter.

Ron Dayne is no longer here, so Brown should be good to go.
Old 09-04-2008   #40
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Yeah, about this time a couple of years ago, we were hearing how Spencer's nickname was "Big Nasty." Catastrophic knee injuries weren't the sort of nasty we were thinking of.

The left tackle position is jinxed until it is unjinxed. Somebody go sacrifice poultry or something. And certainly stop talking about the eft-lay ackle-tay being esolved-ray.

It makes me want to change the title of this thread but I don't think that erases jinx. Maybe we should hide under pancakes.
Does consuming a 9-piece Popeye's Chicken count?
...or does it have to be Church's (since that's a Texas-based franchise)
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read