Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-03-2008   #21
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans expected to sign Eugene Wilson

In retrospect, I guess cutting Frye wasn't a bad move afterall, Kubiak/Smith didn't disappoint with the next guy he brought in.... glad it wasn't Tatum.

This guy could really help us, if he can still contribute that is. Depending how smart he is, he'll probably be brought up slowly like Demps was last year. But, then again Wilson isn't injured like Demps was, with his bionic arm, when we signed him. If anything, this signing will help us later in the season.... when we make that playoff push.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008   #22
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He was drafted by the Patriots in the second round (36th overall) of the 2003 NFL Draft. He has helped the Patriots win Super Bowl XXXVIII in 2003 and Super Bowl XXXIX in 2004. He recovered a fumble by Philadelphia Eagles tight end L.J. Smith in Super Bowl XXXIX before leaving the game after sustaining an injury on a kickoff. He also intercepted Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger twice in the Patriots 41-27 victory in the 2004 AFC Championship Game. - wiki
Not that I expect that from him this week or anything.... just like to point that out.
Old 09-03-2008   #23
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

He is a body for a unit in need. I think our O-Line was our most improved unit last year and is better this year. When you are down to selecting the 53rd man, I would opine the acquisition is about veteran depth.
Old 09-03-2008   #24
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3019 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
I thought this guy was a fossil.... he's only 28! Just entering his prime.

Former 2nd round pick for the Pats, had two very good season a decent third one and was injure for the most part of his fourth and last year with them. Anybody knows why he couldn't stick with the Pats or Bucs, is it an injury issue? Or is he not good enough?
He went to Tampa as a free agent and didn't excel in the Tampa 2. His contract and the depth at the position made him expendable. The cynic in me wants to agree with Thorn, because really good players don't get cut, but the homer in me doubts the team would've let Brandon Frye go if Wilson has nothing left. They've talked up Frye for quite some time. This should tell us something about what they think of Wilson.
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008   #25
Seņor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44649 Seņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
He is a body for a unit in need. I think our O-Line was our most improved unit last year and is better this year. When you are down to selecting the 53rd man, I would opine the acquisition is about veteran depth.

I personally like it when the Texans have to make tough cuts for the 53rd roster spot.

It means we finally have something we never have had before....depth.
Seņor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008   #26
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

They have a thread over at the bucs forum, talking about Wilson...

http://bbs.buccaneers.com/showthread.php?t=163263

I found this part interesting.
Quote:
It might be that Wilson just could'nt pick up our system.

Regardless, Mack outplayed everyone else and earned the job.

and wilson played mostly CB right? hes a safety....

He was a Corner in college and wanted to play CB somewhere when he left new england.
Hope he gives up that experiment and be a FS for us.... cause God know we desperately need one.
Old 09-03-2008   #27
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
They have a thread over at the bucs forum, talking about Wilson...

http://bbs.buccaneers.com/showthread.php?t=163263

I found this part interesting.

Hope he gives up that experiment and be a FS for us.... cause God know we desperately need one.
Good catch and take. The only thing is that Smith's system suppossedly does not look at FS or SS, just S. However, I would welcome a FS in the event we have a Smith departure in the future, as the next DC may want a true FS in the fold.
Old 09-03-2008   #28
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailman View Post
He went to Tampa as a free agent and didn't excel in the Tampa 2. His contract and the depth at the position made him expendable. The cynic in me wants to agree with Thorn, because really good players don't get cut, but the homer in me doubts the team would've let Brandon Frye go if Wilson has nothing left. They've talked up Frye for quite some time. This should tell us something about what they think of Wilson.
Agreed. But how can he not excel in Tampa 2, when that was the same system that turn P-Buc into a decent starter? Makes me wonder..

From what I hear over at the Bucs forum, he was missing alot of tackles in the pre-season. He actually played in the last pre-season game against us, so Kubiak and Smith should have a recent scouting report on him.
Old 09-03-2008   #29
Seņor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44649 Seņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailman View Post
If really good players don't get cut, then why is anyone bellyaching about Frye, Maddox, etc.

Different teams are deeper at different positions, so there is always a chance to upgrade at an area of weakness at the expense of an area of strength.
Seņor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008   #30
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208669 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Agreed. But how can he not excel in Tampa 2, when that was the same system that turn P-Buc into a decent starter? Makes me wonder...
Some guys are more suited for Cover D and some are better suited for Man D. I don't know anything about Wilson, but that addresses your question.

My question - How is Eugene Wilson better or worse than Deltha O'Neal?
Old 09-03-2008   #31
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
My question - How is Eugene Wilson better or worse than Deltha O'Neal?
I don't know the answer to that, but O'Neal is a few years older and was, coincidentally, signed by NE yesterday.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008   #32
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

This is a move I talked about in Coveted Castoffs thread. Wilson is a package player. In todays nfl, there are numerous Y- flex tight ends. The Y-flex te is the guy that can be flexed away from the formation to create mismatches. That guy is a vertical threat. The problem is with this guy is he's to strong for a corner and to fast for a lb. Top that off, if you go nickel, the team wil power run on you. This is why big nickelis so important or 3 safety package. Looking at clark,crumpler,k2, heap, olson all on the schedule, the wilson is a need type of guy. When they're in base personel, Wilson is strong and fast enough to matchup with these hybrid players. He'll replace the slb and allow the texans to stay base so that a team like the browns don't start running the ball down you're throat because u brought in a cb. Good move if its true.
leebigeztx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008   #33
Dancerdog
Rookie

Rep Power: 9 Dancerdog was voted MVPDancerdog was voted MVPDancerdog was voted MVP

I am really pleased with the (anticipated) signing of Eugene Wilson. I hope we're looking at him as a safety rather than CB. When we picked up Will Demps last year, he became a very pleasant surprise. I've got a good feeling about this move. He certainly has the credentials after starting for the Patriots in the Super Bowl, and the stats I have seen. Good move, Rick Smith!
Dancerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008   #34
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3019 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
This is a move I talked about in Coveted Castoffs thread. Wilson is a package player. In todays nfl, there are numerous Y- flex tight ends. The Y-flex te is the guy that can be flexed away from the formation to create mismatches. That guy is a vertical threat. The problem is with this guy is he's to strong for a corner and to fast for a lb. Top that off, if you go nickel, the team wil power run on you. This is why big nickelis so important or 3 safety package. Looking at clark,crumpler,k2, heap, olson all on the schedule, the wilson is a need type of guy. When they're in base personel, Wilson is strong and fast enough to matchup with these hybrid players. He'll replace the slb and allow the texans to stay base so that a team like the browns don't start running the ball down you're throat because u brought in a cb. Good move if its true.
Strong post.
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008   #35
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Very informative analysis. I'm not seeing your conclusion though.

Are you saying that he will play S and move to SLB in nickel packages; are you saying he'll play SLB for us (that can't be a possibility); or are you saying he'll play nickel CB for us?
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008   #36
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208669 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
Very informative analysis. I'm not seeing your conclusion though.

Are you saying that he will play S and move to SLB in nickel packages; are you saying he'll play SLB for us (that can't be a possibility); or are you saying he'll play nickel CB for us?
In a standard nickel, Wilson can replace the SLB as a nickel back, depending on matchups. In a dime look, he can provide a bit of a safety valve against the run, while still being able to match up with a 4th receiver, especially if that receiver is a guy like Dallas Clark.

At least, that's how I interpret it.
Old 09-03-2008   #37
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

An extra CB or S would replace a LB in a passing situation. Not replace in a sense of a S is now a LB but that there would be 3 true S's and only 2 LB's (as in he wouldn't be playing out of position but would be an extra body to help with coverage).
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008   #38
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 13416 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

I like this move. We need all the help we can get in the secondary right about now.
Old 09-03-2008   #39
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 64465 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seņor Stan View Post
I personally like it when the Texans have to make tough cuts for the 53rd roster spot.

It means we finally have something we never have had before....depth.
Thats what I was going to say. If the guy works out, then hell yeah! With what the Texans have now, it cant hurt.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008   #40
feebleminded

Rep Power: 9068 feebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Excellent post, and I think you are right on. I also think the coaching staff has to be concerned about being spread out in nickel situations and then run on. This was a real problem for us in our run d this preseason. I guess you should expect Wilson to be a little more physical than a Fletcher.

Should be interesting to see if Wilson is any good blitzing out of the slot. (assuming he signs of course). None of our corners (outside of Dunta) have shown a knack for that.
feebleminded is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read