Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-03-2008   #41
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 265163 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Re: Frye Cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
Yeah cause Rick Smith is known for making stupid desicions...right?
I could name five or six, yeah. Every GM makes good moves and bad moves. It's just part of the game.
Old 09-03-2008   #42
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3020 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
I guess I will have to watch the tape again, but I thought Studdard does pretty well getting to the second level. I recall Slaton's first nice run against the Cowboys being sprung by a Studdard block at the second level.

He looks to be a carefree bowling ball out there. Now in the passing game, he was stuck in the gutter way to often.
I'm with you, KT. All the pissing and moaning about Studdard following the Cowboys game made me watch the tape of Studdard's play again. While he made some obvious mistakes in pass protection, his run blocking was good. I thought the criticism here was disproportionate to his actual play in the preseason.
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008   #43
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 77507 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Strong statement.

Should I take this to mean that you never question a decision any coaching staff or front office makes?

I believe two things.

1) Team leadership can make bad decisions even with the best of intentions. Mistakes occur.

2) Team leadership makes decisions based on many things besides performance. A positive example of this (to me anyway) is bypassing a player for character issues. Some are made for other non-performance issues. Many of these are political in nature and can lead to making decisions that hurt the team on the field. That is the nature of business.
Yeah .. I agree.

Why else would Earl and Walker be cut except they attended Notre Dame.

Kubiak is biased against my Irish. That explains it. As soon as is not an issue he will probably cut Weaver.

When Stevenson comes off the IR he will probably be cut also.

It's a conspiracy I tell ya....

Old 09-03-2008   #44
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppacoffee View Post
Yeah .. I agree.

Kubiak is biased against my Irish. That explains it. As soon as is not an issue he will probably cut Weaver.

I was following you right up until you mentioned Weaver.
Old 09-03-2008   #45
Texan JBZ
Da Sip's Finest

Rep Power: 1065 Texan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
Yeah cause Rick Smith is known for making stupid desicions...right?
Look, I like Rick Smith, but he's made some mistakes. Chris Brown and Rosevelt Colvin are the two most recent. He'll probably make a few more before he is done, but that doesn't mean I don't think he's not going a good job b/c he is. But letting go of younger, quicker, more attacking DL for an old one who exhibits none of these traits is a mistake. I just think that Zgonina has very little left in his tank. Frye and Studdard are a push, but since Frye may be versatile enough to play both guard and tackle, why not keep him instead?
Old 09-03-2008   #46
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 77507 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah .. I agree.

Kubiak is biased against my Irish. That explains it. As soon as money is not an issue he will probably cut Weaver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
I was following you right up until you mentioned Weaver.

Weaver, Anthony DE 6-3 280 Notre Dame

Soon to be ex-player as soon as it's (supposedly) contract friendly to cut him.

Then....no more Irish players on team.

Maybe the four Irish fans on this mb should consider a boycott.

Old 09-03-2008   #47
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan JBZ View Post
Look, I like Rick Smith, but he's made some mistakes. Chris Brown and Rosevelt Colvin are the two most recent. He'll probably make a few more before he is done, but that doesn't mean I don't think he's not going a good job b/c he is. But letting go of younger, quicker, more attacking DL for an old one who exhibits none of these traits is a mistake. I just think that Zgonina has very little left in his tank. Frye and Studdard are a push, but since Frye may be versatile enough to play both guard and tackle, why not keep him instead?
They really arent bad decisions because they werent really tied down to them. Both cost very little to try out and were cuttable. Unlike Weaver, Greenwood, Wade, Walker, Wong, DDW, Payne, ect... Green would be Smiths real boner, but you understand what he was trying to do with him. Just didnt work.
Old 09-03-2008   #48
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 265163 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
They really arent bad decisions because they werent really tied down to them. Both cost very little to try out and were cuttable. Unlike Weaver, Greenwood, Wade, Walker, Wong, DDW, Payne, ect... Green would be Smiths real boner, but you understand what he was trying to do with him. Just didnt work.
We paid a million dollars to Colvin to come in here and do nothing. That's pretty "tied down", if you ask me. IMO, Colvin's bonus should have at least been tied to making the team. I don't even see how Colvin wouldn't have agreed to that, looking at our roster, if he had any self respect.
Old 09-03-2008   #49
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Weaver, Anthony DE 6-3 280 Notre Dame

Soon to be ex-player as soon as it's (supposedly) contract friendly to cut him.

Then....no more Irish players on team.

Maybe the four Irish fans on this mb should consider a boycott.

I was meaning more that Weaver (sucks) is not a dominant player.
Old 09-03-2008   #50
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 107813 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
We paid a million dollars to Colvin to come in here and do nothing. That's pretty "tied down", if you ask me. IMO, Colvin's bonus should have at least been tied to making the team. I don't even see how Colvin wouldn't have agreed to that, looking at our roster, if he had any self respect.
Then it wouldn't be a bonus, it would just be salary. As a vested veteran, his entire annual salary becomes guaranteed if he's on the opening day 53 man roster.

My definition of "Tied down" would be continuing to pay for it next year, and/or being restricted this year because of salary cap concerns. Colvin's bonus doesn't create either of those situations. When you've got a compelling need for additional pressure on the QB, $1 Million doesn't seem like an unreasonable risk to take for the possibility of a solution.
Old 09-03-2008   #51
AustinJB
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 AustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Keeping Studdard as one of the OLineman on your 53-man roster when you're team employs the ZB system is about as logical as a track coach using a marathon runner as a member of his 400 Meter Sprint Relay team.
....said the ZB System OL guru.

Look, I'm not necessarily trying to single you out, but I just find your way of speaking in absolutes a little humorous. Studdard may not turn out to be a Pro-Bowl lineman or anything, but obviously the people in charge (including one of the best OL coaches in the history of the game who perfected the ZB System) seems to think he has more potential than Frye. FWIW, I doubt Frye signs w/ another team and becomes a Pro-Bowl lineman either. Very small potatoes in the grand scheme of things if you ask me.

Okay...carry on with your sky-is-falling, conspiracy theories.
Old 09-03-2008   #52
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 243112 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't look for Charles Spencer to be resigned by the Texans...........3 hours ago, he was signed for 1 year contract on the ACTIVE roster, not PS, of the Jags. This should be interesting. I doubt that he could be ready for effective service this soon............for us or any one else. The Jags must be desparate.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008   #53
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
I was meaning more that Weaver (sucks) is not a dominant player.

You mean he is not wanting to release him just because he is Irish?..

Ohh...

Still..

To the topic though..I was kind of suprised at the Frye release. For some reason I thought Kubiak was high on him. Can't keep them all I guess.

Old 09-05-2008   #54
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 129 ccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ccdude730

Quote:
The Texans re-signed tackle Brandon Frye to their practice squad Thursday and released defensive tackle Gabe Long from the eight-man group. Frye had remained on the active roster until the team recently added cornerback Eugene Wilson.
Link
Old 09-05-2008   #55
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58125 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

smart move. I thought another team who had tackle issues might have added him to their roster.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008   #56
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 273403 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

hmmm.... maybe they were "holding a spot" for Spencer. Once he signed on with the Jags, Frye became of interest to us again.

who knows....

...and I'm still thinking this roster isn't quite cast in concrete yet.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008   #57
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 243112 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
hmmm.... maybe they were "holding a spot" for Spencer. Once he signed on with the Jags, Frye became of interest to us again.

who knows....

...and I'm still thinking this roster isn't quite cast in concrete yet.
The roster will probably continue to be fluid well into the season. The fact that we have 2 capable active roster QBs and no 3rd active QB or PS QB is a little puzzling to me with all the hooplah that Kubiak made over the importance of that 3rd QB. At least for the moment, it seems that they feel comfortable with the QB status quo more than that of other positions and probably feel that what's out there would be too "raw" to be of any use as an effective PS plugin or backup should there be injury to Schaub and Rosenfels, They may also feel that their PS composition would be better served with other positions that have a better chance for said plugin in case of injuries. It's almost like they are thinking a little more towards a serious run for the playoffs this year and figure that if they loose both primary QBs, they'll need to find an available vet anyway to go anywhere. Makes you wonder what they're thinking, knowing Kubiak's philosophy of bringing up and grooming QBs through the system.

BTW, mods, you may consider changing the name of this thread.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008   #58
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 8295 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan JBZ View Post
At this point, unfortunately, I think you can add Bentley and Thompson to that list. Ben Moffitt totally outplayed Bentley this preseason but, we get to keep Bentley...?

maddogmrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008   #59
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 70559 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogmrb View Post
At this point, unfortunately, I think you can add Bentley and Thompson to that list. Ben Moffitt totally outplayed Bentley this preseason but, we get to keep Bentley...?

Can Moffit rush the passer like Thompson? Can Moffit make all the defensive calls like Bentley can and play all 3 LB positions?

You wouldn't end up with a very good team if you simply decided a roster on the pre-season on field performance of each individual. By the way, Coley played better than Demeco Ryans. Would you like Coley on the team instead of Demeco?
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008   #60
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 200878 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogmrb View Post

For the record Bentley had more tackles than Moffitt . He also played against 1st and 2nd teamers and he's a proven special teams guy .

Thompson showed flashes of a 250 lb 4.5 forty LB ... when he played . Thompson was brought in here to take Peek's place and he's doing a fine job .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read