Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-02-2008   #1
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Frye Cut, Then Re-Signed to PS

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=4587

Quote:
The Texans have waived tackle Brandon Frye (6-4, 298) from their roster, the team announced today.

Frye was selected by the Texans in the fifth round (163rd overall) of the 2007 NFL draft out of Virginia Tech. He spent the first eight games of his rookie season on the team's practice squad and was promoted to the active roster for the final eight games of the season but remained inactive in each contest.

An athletic player who could play at guard or tackle, Frye was converted from the defensive end position as a freshman at Virginia Tech. He had been listed third on the Texans' depth chart at right tackle behind starter Eric Winston and backup Rashad Butler.

The Texans kept six offensive tackles through Saturday's mandatory cuts that brought the roster down to 53 players. By waiving Frye and previously releasing Cliff Washburn on Sunday, the team now has four tackles remaining: Winston, Butler and left tackles Duane Brown and Ephraim Salaam.

ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008   #2
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Frye Cut

So this move gives us 52 players on the active roster? Perhaps giving us room to sign another RB.

Does Frye still have PS eligibility?
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008   #3
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Making room for Tatum Bell?
Old 09-02-2008   #4
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
So this move gives us 52 players on the active roster? Perhaps giving us room to sign another RB.

Does Frye still have PS eligibility?
He should, i don't remember him being active more than a game or two.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008   #5
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
He should, i don't remember him being active more than a game or two.
That good then, hopefully we bring him back if he clear the wavier wire. I like what I saw from him during pre-season, and was hoping he would make the transition to guard, because honestly, I don't think much of Brisel or Studdard at the guard position.

We should let loose one of the WR or that OL from the Cowboys to make room for him.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008   #6
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 52681 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
That good then, hopefully we bring him back if he clear the wavier wire. I like what I saw from him during pre-season, and was hoping he would make the transition to guard, because honestly, I don't think much of Brisel or Studdard at the guard position.

We should let loose one of the WR or that OL from the Cowboys to make room for him.
I'm begin to lose a little confidence in the management of the team. I can see keeping Salaam over Frye because of the experience, but to keep Studdard over Frye defies logic. Studdard put on a pitiful display at guard all preseason and Frye played pretty darn well at RT, even though they think he's a guard. Really not happy with this one- and when you combine it with cutting Maddox and keep Zgoniga and a couple of other head-scratchers, I'm a little concerned.

Hopefully Frye will go to practice squad but man this move troubles me!
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008   #7
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 13034 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

NOOOOOOOOO k

I really hope this wasn't to make room for Tatum though.
Sponsored links
Old 09-02-2008   #8
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewmar74 View Post
Making room for Tatum Bell?
Please, please god NO NO NO

I'm hoping it's a CB... or some other RB.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008   #9
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm still trying to figure out why they kept two wide recievers on the practice squad, but yet no 3rd QB.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008   #10
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7786 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

all i can figure is that they are cooking something up. it really doesn't seem to make sense to me.

i wouldn't go so far as to say i'm loosing faith in the management, but i am very curious as to their motivation.

they really roughed me up with the cuts.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008   #11
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 7744 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree with Dale and Barrett. Some of these cuts/transactions just don't make sense. To me, Frye has more upside than Studdard and Maddox outplayed just about everybody on our DL this preseason. Let's see, how many times has Zgonia's (sp?) name been called on defense? Yep, that would be a big fat zero that I can recall. Add 2 WR and no 3rd QB on the practice squad and I gots to scratch my head and wonder.

maddogmrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008   #12
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I'm begin to lose a little confidence in the management of the team. I can see keeping Salaam over Frye because of the experience, but to keep Studdard over Frye defies logic. Studdard put on a pitiful display at guard all preseason and Frye played pretty darn well at RT, even though they think he's a guard. Really not happy with this one- and when you combine it with cutting Maddox and keep Zgoniga and a couple of other head-scratchers, I'm a little concerned.
The only conclusion I can draw is that its just plain old fashioned cronyism. And in this case, Kubiak is passing out personal favors at the expense of MY FOOTBALL TEAM, and I don't like it one damn bit.
Kubiak is the one who insisted on bringing in Gibbs and his ZB system and making an organizational commitment to win with that approach. Then he proceeds to sabotage his own plan by releasing an OLineman who clearly epitimizes the athleticism needed in Gibbs system while retaining one
who just as clearly lacks those same athletic skills.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008   #13
stiff
Rookie

I am not sold that Bell will be brought it, of course by the time I get done typing this there will probably be news that we will sign him. If we wanted a broken down back why not go after Alexander

I think more likely the Texans will bring in a DB to help with coverage or maybe the pass rush. Except for a shoulder injury Fernando Bryant may help in the secondary until D-Rob gets back. Another interesting player could be Willie Anderson, who was cut by the Bengals. With the Steelers coming up he may be an interesting option. Another option that is probably no chance is Ty Law is still a free agent...
stiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008   #14
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm not losing confidence - I've never thought the team leadership was error free in the first place.

This front office/coaching combination is just as capable of making bad moves as good moves. This is no different from anyone else. They've got a decent track record so far, however without a strong winning record in the next couple of years their long term strategy may be open to criticism.

Of course it will be in hindsight by then.
Old 09-02-2008   #15
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 217165 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Add me to the list of skeptics. This move is low on the impact meter, but it's a (very small) step in the wrong direction, IMO.
Old 09-02-2008   #16
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
This move is low on the impact meter...

I agree - I forgot to mention that I wasn't worried about this specific move.

They need to start palying the games so we can see where they really are.
Old 09-02-2008   #17
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 187579 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

I was big a Frye fan when he got drafted last year - loved his athleticism; thought he'd take one of the guard spots - but he disappointed me. First, he got a twisted ankle in T/C (hell, it might have been during OTAs) so he fell behind in reps. Then when we were having all those injuries at the end of the year, he never stepped up like Brisiel did at guard.

soooo.... it could be as simple as Frye could never could crack the dress-out lineup and just maybe, this new guy, Stenavich, had more upside - don't know, never seen him. So it made more sense to put him (Stenavich) on the practice squad rather than let Frye sit on the P/S for yet another year when his improvement was marginal.

Also, I have a hard time seeing Smithiak fiddle with Gibbs' OL gang w/o Gibbs' blessing. That makes NO sense.

And remember, this squad isn't cast in concrete just yet.
So don't

Last edited by ObsiWan; 09-02-2008 at 08:38 PM.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008   #18
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 630 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

I bet there is a method/reason behind their madness - and it ain't Tatum Bell.

There is something cookin' in the kitchen - we just don't know what it is yet.
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008   #19
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 182645 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

While there is confusion about the motivation for these moves on my part also, I possible find a positive sign that Butler's injury is not serious. Of course, if he is, the only explanation I have for these moves is that the Texans are trying to
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008   #20
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I too have been a little puzzled about some of their moves but am willing to give them a chance to prove themselves. As far as keeping Studdard over Frye, the only reason I can think of is that Studdard is a pure Guard and Frye is a Tackle that they were going to try at Guard. And, since they were short on Guards, due to Weary, Jackson, and Stevenson all being on IR, and they already had 4 Tackles, they went with the player who had more experience at Guard. I still think Frye will end up on the PS.

As for keeping Zgonina over Maddox, that one really had me stumped, but I think it may have had to do with Zgonina being the backup LS to Pittman. They also had Dreessen listed as the 3rd string LS, but I don't think he has much experience doing it. I think I heard he just learned to do it this year.

Also, why they didn't put Boyd or Brink on the PS has me concerned too. I guess they just felt like rolling the dice with Matt and Sage. Hope they can stay healthy. JMHO!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read