Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-01-2008   #1
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The "Anybody Else A Little Pee-O'd About RB Situation?" thread

Vent 'em if you got 'em.

Let me be the first to say this:

Trying to position the Ahman Green signing a couple off-seasons ago as a "great steal" is one thing. But to do it again, via the Chris Brown signing and subsequent I.R. situation, is just the icing on the cake.

Looks like one more year of sucking at the running game.

This is a piss and moan thread only, btw. No need to help us find a silver lining in this turd storm of a RB situation. Kubiak's methodology of identifying and signing RBs is pitiful. There's just no excuse for it.

Sunday's forecast: Lots of punting, blitzes, and terrible towels.
Old 09-01-2008   #2
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 154446 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The "Anybody Else A Little Pee-O'd About RB Situation?" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Vent 'em if you got 'em.

Let me be the first to say this:

Trying to position the Ahman Green signing a couple off-seasons ago as a "great steal" is one thing. But to do it again, via the Chris Brown signing and subsequent I.R. situation, is just the icing on the cake.

Looks like one more year of sucking at the running game.

This is a piss and moan thread only, btw. No need to help us find a silver lining in this turf storm of a RB situation.

Sunday's forecast: Lots of punting, blitzes, and terrible towels.
Before the draft , I said this is a deep RB draft and I would'nt mind drafting two . Folks said I was crazy but look at Dallas and RB ( drafted Jones 1st rd and Choice 4th rd . ) was a strong point for them last year .
Old 09-01-2008   #3
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Nah we'll be fine so long as we get one of these for Ahman...

Old 09-01-2008   #4
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Not nearly as upsetting as the whole "No we don't need to get anybody opposite Mario" thing.
Old 09-01-2008   #5
kcdoubleeagle
Veteran

Rep Power: 474 kcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respected
Smile Re: The "Anybody Else A Little Pee-O'd About RB Situation?" thread

Okay......I have read ad naseum as people whined about our running back situation.....I for one believe you can have Ronnie Freaking Brown ( or Jim Brown for that matter ) and you won't get squat if you don't have the linemen......remember Emmitt Smith? yeah...he was a good running back...but my god look at those holes that line created....how about Edgerrin James....what happened to him once he left the safety cushion of Indy?? I mean, what do we do?? Draft a high running back.....forget about our glaring need at left tackle....and waste a high pick on someone who will get hurt because we can't block??

In order to win in the NFL....you have to be dominate in three areas.....offensive line, defensive line and quarterback....I believe it was Parcells who stated that......( who by the way suggested we draft Mario over the "can't miss" Bush ).........

We are the Houston Texans...we finished 2-14 just a couple years ago....why run out and get flashy diamond studs when you got a fat toothless woman to put them on? Why put lipstick on a pig? We are doing the right things....getting our interior solidified...once this process is complete we will be a contender for a long time.I for one am a fan of how Kubiak is building this team.
kcdoubleeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008   #6
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70215 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Not nearly as upsetting as the whole "No we don't need to get anybody opposite Mario" thing.
They had a lot of needs and not that many picks. Heck they were fortunate to get the picks from the first round trade down and still get their guy. (not Chris Williams, whew!)

They knew that they had a need for someone on the other side of Mario but didn't find that value in this draft. A big DT run stuffer was also a need, though not as many people acknowledged that.

Multiple running back pics for this team wasn't feasible. Just too many needs. Want to give up our LT or CB?

I'm not mad about the running back situation because it isn't a big surprise that it is an issue. (except to some people in the media who won't be named).

The NFL is a league of risk taking. Some end up working out and some don't. The biggest issue is that usually there aren't that many great free agents bumping around because teams tend to keep the players they want to keep or want lots of draft picks for them. And the good free agents that are out there often want to go to a team with a winning history. So you have to take flyers a time or two on oldish players, or players with injury histories that might fit your system. For some teams, those choices end up working out, and with the Texans they haven't had the best of luck with those situations. (understatement)

Slaton is the RB they are developing this year and everybody else is just place holders until they fix so many of the problems they have.
Old 09-01-2008   #7
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 154446 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcdoubleeagle View Post
Okay......I have read ad naseum as people whined about our running back situation.....I for one believe you can have Ronnie Freaking Brown ( or Jim Brown for that matter ) and you won't get squat if you don't have the linemen......remember Emmitt Smith? yeah...he was a good running back...but my god look at those holes that line created....how about Edgerrin James....what happened to him once he left the safety cushion of Indy?? I mean, what do we do?? Draft a high running back.....forget about our glaring need at left tackle....and waste a high pick on someone who will get hurt because we can't block??

In order to win in the NFL....you have to be dominate in three areas.....offensive line, defensive line and quarterback....I believe it was Parcells who stated that......( who by the way suggested we draft Mario over the "can't miss" Bush ).........

We are the Houston Texans...we finished 2-14 just a couple years ago....why run out and get flashy diamond studs when you got a fat toothless woman to put them on? Why put lipstick on a pig? We are doing the right things....getting our interior solidified...once this process is complete we will be a contender for a long time.I for one am a fan of how Kubiak is building this team.
What does this have to do with not having healthy running backs ?
Old 09-01-2008   #8
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 23727 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Amen!
Old 09-01-2008   #9
kcdoubleeagle
Veteran

Rep Power: 474 kcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respected

I believe the Titans had the recipe down....i mean what a dominant offensive and defensive line......but they had to go and screw it all up and draft the worst NFL quarterback who has ever lived..( yes worse than Dilfer, Mark Malone, Craig Whelihan, Billy Joe Tolliver, David Carr, etc... )

I know it's off topic...but...good god....Vince Young is without a doubt the worst NFL quarterback in the history of the game....i have never seen one person single handedly destroy a very good football team...and what about all those clueless VY supporters? Good lord people....I know he is you and Richard Justice's hero....but good god....please...please...watch that guy play.....WORST EVER. sorry for the off topic rant.
Old 09-01-2008   #10
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70215 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I believe the Titans had the recipe down....i mean what a dominant offensive and defensive line......but they had to go and screw it all up and draft the worst NFL quarterback who has ever lived..( yes worse than Dilfer, Mark Malone, Craig Whelihan, Billy Joe Tolliver, David Carr, etc... )

I know it's off topic...but...good god....Vince Young is without a doubt the worst NFL quarterback in the history of the game....i have never seen one person single handedly destroy a very good football team...and what about all those clueless VY supporters? Good lord people....I know he is you and Richard Justice's hero....but good god....please...please...watch that guy play.....WORST EVER. sorry for the off topic rant.
bongo...is that you?
Old 09-01-2008   #11
kcdoubleeagle
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
What does this have to do with not having healthy running backs ?
it's the nature of the position.....we drafted Slaton...he's healthy and hopefully will stay that way...but what could we have done? Draft Mendenhall? And have Salaam at left tackle???....um...no thanks...I think I like the way Brown is developing....

Running backs will not stay healthy long...it's best to have a long standing system that encourages production from that position...and not rely on a great running back with a crap line....because they just won't last long enough......hmm.....remember Earl??

Talked with Ed Biles the other day.who coached Earl Campbell.....Campbell was beaten up so bad by the fifth year he basically had nothing left..........
Old 09-01-2008   #12
kcdoubleeagle
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
bongo...is that you?

No...but whomever Bongo is...I like the way he thinks.
Old 09-01-2008   #13
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm annoyed and a bit impatient but I understand why it is the way it is and I understand why we needed to wait on the running back. I was wound up pretty good when Mendenhall dropped to us but I got over the disappointment pretty quick.

Green I can only hope fulfills his "potential" this year and can play in more than a handful of games. Brown I expect to see the team release with an injury settlement and I'm very annoyed at how that turned out but what can we do about it? In the best of all possible worlds Slaton emerges this year and becomes a legitimate starting RB and the problem is solved. Backs come out of nowhere all the time. Guys who are too slow and too small make good in the NFL all the time and I see no reason why Steve Slaton can't be one of those guys.

I'm far too concerned about our defense to really lose much sleep over our problems at RB. Lets just wait and see what happens in Pittsburgh. If we go up there and snatch a win out of that game then we'll all be talking playoffs by Monday morning no matter how it happens.
Old 09-01-2008   #14
kcdoubleeagle
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
bongo...is that you?
BTW TC.....way to take on that little weasel Dickie....what a dork..we got your back.
Old 09-01-2008   #15
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

I think its more about the running game than the runner's name. Kubiak is a 550 carry coach. That 34 per game by my calculator. Once you delv into that, we're talking about 2 maybe 3 guys. They probably want 200 from Green and Slaton and 150 from Taylor, but this depends on gameflow and the defense. That means 800 yards from Green and Slaytoon and 550 from Taylor. That totals about 2100 rush yards or 140 per game. If u look at Denver when Kubiak was there, that's howw many yds they avg. During those yrs, onlly Pittsburgh hadmore attempts. I think that's what they're trying to do here. Rather thhan spend a high pick and a lot of money on 1 guy, they choose to have 3 guys for the same job plus a injurry doesn't hurt u as much. That being said, they need guys who can stay healthy. when was the last time a top rusher has played on aa sb winner?
leebigeztx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008   #16
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 221373 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

What bugs me the most is I didn't see anything in preseason from our vaunted zone blocking scheme that warranted optimism.
Old 09-01-2008   #17
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
it's the nature of the position.....we drafted Slaton...he's healthy and hopefully will stay that way...but what could we have done? Draft Mendenhall? And have Salaam at left tackle???....um...no thanks...I think I like the way Brown is developing....

Running backs will not stay healthy long...it's best to have a long standing system that encourages production from that position...and not rely on a great running back with a crap line....because they just won't last long enough......hmm.....remember Earl??

Talked with Ed Biles the other day.who coached Earl Campbell.....Campbell was beaten up so bad by the fifth year he basically had nothing left..........
That's what I'm saying , i like drafting drafting Slaton . In the same draft I would have drafted a back in the 7th instread of Brink . I would not sign any more injury prone vets who were not resigned by their teams .
Old 09-01-2008   #18
KEYE SUX
Veteran

Rep Power: 9 KEYE SUX was voted MVPKEYE SUX was voted MVPKEYE SUX was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
. In the same draft I would have drafted a back in the 7th instread of Brink . .
Which impact back would you have picked up in the 7th round?
Old 09-01-2008   #19
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEYE SUX View Post
Nice.
Old 09-01-2008   #20
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEYE SUX View Post
Justin Forsett or Patrick Allen ... even if they did'nt make it ... where's Alex Brink .

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read