Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2008   #181
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Hurricane Ike

My dad keeps insisting that he won't board up the windows if it hits Galveston...*sigh*

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008   #182
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
My dad keeps insisting that he won't board up the windows if it hits Galveston...*sigh*
Why not? These things are nothing to play with. I can't imagine not taking every step possible to make sure one's self and property are secure.
Old 09-10-2008   #183
jlam
Veteran

Rep Power: 139 jlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respected

Anyone in the Richmond/Sugar Land area? I haven't been here all that long but as I haven't seen us on any of the evac maps and don't believe it to be a low lying flood zone, we're pretty sure we'll stay put.

Forward speed is still hovering around 8 m/hr. The longer this guy takes to get moving, the more time is allowed for the high pressure ridge which is causing the western motion to withdraw and allow the incoming trough to pick the storm up and bring up towards us. I think that's the difference in several of the models, such as the GFDL, NOGAPS, and HWRF, that are pointed more up the coastline from the ones aimed more around Matagorda Bay. Those southerly aimed models I don't think are picking up the potential of the that trough to impact the course. Still a good ways out though, so who knows?
jlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008   #184
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlam View Post
Still a good ways out though, so who knows?
Exactly.

But why not take this time to make preparations instead of getting donkey punched by a Cat 3 or 4 storm?
Old 09-10-2008   #185
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 26409 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewmar74 View Post
Why not? These things are nothing to play with. I can't imagine not taking every step possible to make sure one's self and property are secure.
Okay, this would be crap for Lake Charles again. I know what my relatives went through with Rita, but found this VERY interesting (from ClutchFans):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff
Looking back at the historical track for Rita is interesting. Ike is in basically the EXACT same location as Rita was three days prior to landfall. It's track for the next day is very similar to the forecast track of Ike. After that, Rita made a much more steady northwesterly turn and made landfall at the Louisiana/Texas border.

Check these track models overlaid. Rita is faded - note it is less than 50 miles north of the projected landfall for Ike 3 days out.

Historical for Rita: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/archive/2005...graphics.shtml

And Ike is basically the same.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008   #186
YellerLotYeller
nice marmot

Rep Power: 188 YellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
I freaking hate boarding up windows. Two of my neighbors already boarded up this afternoon...I guess I get to hear the table saw symphony tonight.
YellerLotYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008   #187
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 54609 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Now saying cat 4. Crap.

Old 09-10-2008   #188
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 26409 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Okay, but a Freeport to TX/LA landfall is looking a LOT more likely now. No two storms are the same, but the same conditions for Ike happened with Rita. Ike is at the same spot now (three days before landfall) that Rita was. In fact, both were Wednesdays. This was about the time people started leaving Houston and it was announced we had no school for a week (Katy ISD).
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008   #189
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

From the last (minute distance) measurement it was going straight towards N.O. (again very short distance). It looks like they have it hugging the underwater ridge off the coast of mexico and veering left and then an upwards turn towards the port oconner area.

i'm hoping it doesn't veer along the ridge, hits the deep water and starts heading north from the get go. Here's to hoping from a guy that knows jack about hurricanes though.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008   #190
drewmar74
disgruntled

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
Okay, this would be crap for Lake Charles again. I know what my relatives went through with Rita, but found this VERY interesting (from ClutchFans):

Historical for Rita: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/archive/2005...graphics.shtml

And Ike is basically the same.
Eerie similarity. Do I anticipate it doing the same thing? No. Does the thought linger? Yes. Will my family and I be prepared for all eventualities? Yes.
Old 09-10-2008   #191
CTWade
Quack Attack

Rep Power: 14 CTWade could be on the next Madden coverCTWade could be on the next Madden coverCTWade could be on the next Madden coverCTWade could be on the next Madden coverCTWade could be on the next Madden coverCTWade could be on the next Madden cover

I don't like Ike. It has been intensifying faster than expected and the cone has been inching closer towards Houston for a while now. Plus there is the giant wind field it has... Houston can be a fair on either side of it and still receive a lot of nasty.

Guess I will have to watch the news tonight.

Last edited by CTWade; 09-10-2008 at 05:19 PM.
CTWade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008   #192
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
Okay, but a Freeport to TX/LA landfall is looking a LOT more likely now.
Wait until the 6pm discussion to form. Also, 10pm discussion and 6am discussion (NOAA) will show somewhat a smaller cone area.

Reguardless if it hits Freeport, Houston will be on the dirty side. I'm trying my hardest to cancel my Atlanta trip flying out tomorrow and returning Friday night at 10 (right smack when the Cane' is coming in).
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008   #193
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

i am getting the hell out of texas city, circa friday morning

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008   #194
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 243703 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

The NHC just updated their advisory and has upgraded Ike to a CAT 2 with 95 mph winds. They are calling for landfall as a CAT 4 major hurricane with winds of 135 mph gusts to 175 mph just NORTH of Matagorda Bay. This continues to put Houston/Galveston in a more serious threat of damaging winds and high coastal surge with the storm. Landfall late Friday night/Saturday morning.

I'm off to school.
Old 09-10-2008   #195
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 253700 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Doesn't look like we are going to miss this one. Crap, and I'm on the ride out team at work.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008   #196
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I have tickets to Astros on Friday and Saturday, then the Texans on Sunday.

I am flying from LA to Hobby, arriving at 1:35 pm on Friday.

My plan is be on that plane. The only thing that will stop me is a cancelled flight or games.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008   #197
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 253700 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan View Post

My plan is be on that plane. The only thing that will stop me is a cancelled flight or games.

I'd think twice about your plans on coming here if I was you.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008   #198
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 143118 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Best of luck, man. You going to put something on youtube like the Raider thing after you get home?
Old 09-10-2008   #199
Sal Rosenberg
All Pro

Rep Power: 111 Sal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I'd think twice about your plans on coming here if I was you.
Sal Rosenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008   #200
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Quote:

Can I stay at your place while you're gone then? The wife and I will be on a plane tomorrow ... sister-in-law lives in Huntington and I would *much* rather be chillin on a beach than sitting in the dark listening to the wind and rain for three days!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read