Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-01-2008   #1
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 223239 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Dale Robertson article on the Texans' Defense ...or lack of

Here's the link

this gives you a flavor of the article on the whole...
Quote:
A review of their depth chart suggests a lack of draft-day parity between the offense and the defense over the years. It also explains why no assistant on third-year coach Gary Kubiak’s staff squirms on a hotter seat than defensive coordinator Richard Smith.
but this speaks volumes to the nature of our defensive issues...
Quote:
“It takes time,” Smith said. “Would we like to be the No. 1 defense in the league? Yes, we would. Right now we’ve got a ways to go to get there, but that’s what we’re working toward. I don’t look at where (players are) drafted or how many we’ve drafted on defense versus offense. My philosophy is I’ll never make an excuse. It’s our job to coach these players we have, to make them execute well enough for us to win ballgames.

“I’ll leave (the draft-day decision-making) up to the personnel department.
How can Richard Smith get the "studs" you guys say he needs to be successful if he doesn't care who we draft??

To steal from Bill Parcells, how can we expect Smith "to cook the meal" if he doesn't care where the groceries come from or help pick them out??
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008   #2
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80254 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Dale Robertson article on the Texans' Defense ...or lack of

I think you are misinterpreting what he is saying.

He saying that (the draft-day decision-making) is up to the personnel department, as in Rick Smith. The article implies that the reasons why the defense hasn't panned out, is due to draft day misfires, which have been discussed over and over again, but still is accurate.

Smith being on the proverbial "hot seat" is natural, I suppose. But if you were to fire him today, it still wouldn't make one bit of difference in how the defense will perform this season. The players they got going in, are the ones they have to go with. I think the premise of the article is pretty accurate as to where the problem really lies.

You can point your finger at Richard Smith if it makes you feel better, but if the defense sucks this season, they are going to suck whether he's here or not.

And this idea of 'Well, if couldn't hurt" is just a copout.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008   #3
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 223239 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post

He saying that (the draft-day decision-making) is up to the personnel department, as in Rick Smith. The article "implies" that the reasons why the defense hasn't panned out, is due to draft day misfires, which have been discussed over and over again.

Smith being on the proverbial "hot seat" is natural, I suppose. But if you were to fire him today, it still wouldn't make one bit of difference in how the defense will perform this season. The players they got going in, are the ones they have to go with. I think the premise of the article is pretty accurate as to where the problem really lies.

You can point your finger at Richard Smith if it makes you feel better, but if the defense sucks this season, they are going to suck whether he's here or not.

I agree that its too late to make a move that would have an impact on the '08 season. If we were going to fire Smith, that should have been done before the draft.

Alex Gibbs brought in Duane Brown
Kubiak brought in Schaub (albeit after the failed YKN experiment)
for better or worse, Sherman brought in guys he was familiar with

My question remains unanswered: Who are the Richard Smith picks?

That quote from his own mouth implies that he has none and just takes whoever they toss his way.

If you were defensive coordinator, wouldn't you provide input on the type of guys you want on your unit??
Old 09-01-2008   #4
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post

That quote from his own mouth implies that he has none and just takes whoever they toss his way.

If you were defensive coordinator, wouldn't you provide input on the type of guys you want on your unit??
Well I don't know about that. He seemed to be very happy with the Okoye selection. He was talking alot about how Okoye was their #1 rated defensive player on the board and I remember his happiness in the press conference. I don't know if that means he was a Richard Smith selection though.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008   #5
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 191640 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

He saying that (the draft-day decision-making) is up to the personnel department, as in Rick Smith. The article implies that the reasons why the defense hasn't panned out, is due to draft day misfires, which have been discussed over and over again, but still is accurate.

I'm not so sure about that , this guy's defense just doesnt have any teeth from a scheme perspective . They seldom overload one side of the defense to create situations where there arent enough blockers to handle the number of rushers . (when he does send a LB he drops the damn DE into coverage) It seems to me over last season and this preseason that he is going to live and die with what the front four do and in a league where success and failure is measured in microns that just doesnt seem prudent. The players are too equal in skill .... His job is to give them an advantage with his scheme . Thus far I think he's failed at the task.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008   #6
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Our GM is probably not as perfect as many of us have thought, but he has shown us something positive. Our DC, on the other hand, has never shown squat in terms of positive production. As far as premium D picks verses premium O picks, I have wanted to spend some of those premium picks on CBs almost every year; however, BPA still stands as the generally best way to do things. If that means taking more offensive players, then we're just going to have to make some trades down the road. I always tend to want the best player that fills a need, but BPA still rules.

I have a bigger question about this teams tendency to say we need tweeners at the safety positions. Not letting the offense know which safety is going to play how sounds great in theory, BUT IT DOESN'T SEEM TO FREAKING WORK, IMHO. Let's get a real FS next year and stop outsmarting ourselves.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008   #7
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80254 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosion View Post
I'm not so sure about that , this guy's defense just doesnt have any teeth from a scheme perspective . They seldom overload one side of the defense to create situations where there arent enough blockers to handle the number of rushers . (when he does send a LB he drops the damn DE into coverage) It seems to me over last season and this preseason that he is going to live and die with what the front four do and in a league where success and failure is measured in microns that just doesnt seem prudent. The players are too equal in skill .... His job is to give them an advantage with his scheme . Thus far I think he's failed at the task.
In other words, he's failed because he doesn't blitz as much as you want him to to?
Sponsored links
Old 09-01-2008   #8
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post

your kidding me right? you want Richard Smith to make the defensive selections not the GM Rick Smith.......

he hasn't even proved he can utilize the talent, which is above average if you ask me & you want him to call the shots come draft day, now thats a recipe for disaster

seriously you should now they have meetings all the time where he can voice his concerns/dissapointments, he can describe excatley what he needs or wants then its the up to the scouting department to gather the information so the GM can sift through & sort out the prospects & then present the options/choices possibly available. same with free agency, although these sometimes have to be moved on quickly, as the case recently with McClover. Still I'll bet a consensus was reached on addressing needs in meetings with Richard having some input.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008   #9
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 120726 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
In other words, he's failed because he doesn't blitz as much as you want him to to?
That may be part of it. I just don't see any point in a well-telegraphed blitz and then giving a 9-yd. cushion on the outside when it's 3rd and 6.

If you're going to concede the underneath play for the first, why bother with the blitz? If you're rolling the dice, roll em both! I like our DBs chances better in the first 6-7 steps than I do giving the receivers time to find /exploit gaps.

I'd like to see, before his tenure is done, a full-bore gap-shooting blitz w/ PRESS coverage at the same time.
Old 09-01-2008   #10
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 191640 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not at all , what I mean is that he doesnt create situations where he has a numbers advantage .... that can be done other ways such as with line stunts as well as the blitz.

Old 09-01-2008   #11
Marcus
Hall of Fame

I keep reading this line from the "Fire Richard Smith" crowd . . . "We have way too much talent . . . "

Really? Where?

Other than Mario, Demeco, and maybe Amobi, where is all this exceptional talent that's being referred to?
Old 09-01-2008   #12
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
your kidding me right? you want Richard Smith to make the defensive selections not the GM Rick Smith.......

he hasn't even proved he can utilize the talent, which is above average if you ask me & you want him to call the shots come draft day, now thats a recipe for disaster
BL, I have to confess, you had me going...
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
seriously you should know they have meetings all the time where he can voice his concerns/dissapointments, he can describe excatley what he needs or wants then its the up to the scouting department to gather the information so the GM can sift through & sort out the prospects & then present the options/choices possibly available. same with free agency, although these sometimes have to be moved on quickly, as the case recently with McClover. Still I'll bet a consensus was reached on addressing needs in meetings with Richard having some input.
I sure would hope thats how the process works.
Its just not as obvious as say, Alex Gibbs' stamp on the O-line or Sherman bringing in (for better or worse) his ex-Packer guys to run his power offense.

<sips more Kool-ade>
maybe this is the year when it all comes together on D.
...and no, that ain't sarcasm
Old 09-01-2008   #13
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

i still can't believe Richard Smith kept his job after his first 2 horrible seasons...
...dude has to have pictures of McNair in women's clothing or something

the guy just sucks
Old 09-01-2008   #14
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I keep reading this line from the "Fire Richard Smith" crowd . . . "We have way too much talent . . . "

Really? Where?

Other than Mario, Demeco, and maybe Amobi, where is all this exceptional talent that's being referred to?
I'm saying exactly the opposite , they are not that much if at all better (or worse) than the guy's they line up against .... Therefor they have to create an advantage via scheme. Smith has failed to put them into situations where they have an advantage.

disaacks3's example explains that well....

Quote:
just don't see any point in a well-telegraphed blitz and then giving a 9-yd. cushion on the outside when it's 3rd and 6.
There is no advantage to a large cushion when the offense can take what you give and advance the chains .... All he is doing is waiting for the offense to make a mistake , problem is that the players dont have the ball skills / experience to take advantage of these mistakes the majority of the time.

They need to Force the opposition into making mistakes that they can capitalize upon

Old 09-01-2008   #15
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosion View Post
They need to Force the opposition into making mistakes that they can capitalize upon
This sentiment reflects what I read from a lot of people when they don't get pressure on the quarterback.

The thinking is "Instead of giving the QB all day long to throw, send the house and press cover the WRs, and try to force mistakes, even though we might get burned for for long TDs."

The problem with that is, if we never, not even once in awhile, ever get pressure with just the front four, we'll get burned, and burned, and burned, way more often than disrupting their plays.

Fess up, guys! You want a 'damn the torpedos, full speed ahead' DC that will put a QB on his back, even though he might throw 6 long bombs for TDs.
Old 09-01-2008   #16
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

You know what, I mainly just can't stand seeing D-Linemen drop back into pass coverage. Mario is the only one that has any skill at that at all, and he wasn't picked #1 overall just for that. He needs to have his ears pinned back on every play and going for the man with the ball. That surely goes for all the other D-Linemen who couldn't catch a basketball in slow motion. D-Linemen should NEVER go backwards on purpose. If all Weaver can do is take up a single blocker, then that's just all he can do. He's not a freaking DB.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008   #17
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
This sentiment reflects what I read from a lot of people when they don't get pressure on the quarterback.

The thinking is "Instead of giving the QB all day long to throw, send the house and press cover the WRs, and try to force mistakes, even though we might get burned for for long TDs."

The problem with that is, if we never, not even once in awhile, ever get pressure with just the front four, we'll get burned, and burned, and burned, way more often than disrupting their plays.

Fess up, guys! You want a 'damn the torpedos, full speed ahead' DC that will put a QB on his back, even though he might throw 6 long bombs for TDs.
I like how you take one line from my post and make it into ... "You want a damn the torpedos" take.

Thats far from the truth , what I want to see is a more imaginative defense where they can bring pressure from multiple angles rather than just the front four , line stunts , even dropping a DE on one side into coverage allow for more pressure from the opposite side.

This is the third season we will get to watch Smith's defense , if the last two were any indication its not going to be a lot different from the perspective of getting to the QB. We have got no production from a straight four man rush , few teams do , you have to put some wrinkles in the system to gain an advantage.

Old 09-01-2008   #18
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Really? Where?

I don't recall anywhere in the "fire richard smith" crowd saying we have an abundance of talent. What I see from most of the people in the "fire Richard Smith crowd" is we know we don't have an abundance of talent so you put what talent you have in a situation where they can succeed as a squad. Do we really need Pro bowl caliber type talent across the board to see what Richard wants to do? Most defenses don't have that luxury so you take a core of players like the three you mentioned and build AROUND them with role players.

We have smaller DT's why not play a more gap penetrating line that attacks gaps instead of trying to hold linemen up clearly when they don't have a size or strength advantage. What seems like defense 101 on creating mismatches with your personnel or overloading one side of the line to get to the QB seems to escape Smith. I'm not saying fire him because he's not utilizing this amazing amount of talent we think we have. At this point I'm wondering what exactly he wants to do with this defense and where it is going down the line with his tenure at DC.

There might be a parity but what is the point of going out and getting guys if Rick Smith and what looks like the players in pre-season have no clue what you want to do. How about another DE to drop back in coverage?
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008   #19
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209676 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Well, I guess I would like to see more than 2 sacks in 4 games to let us know our D-rush men are awake and possibly responding to basic neurologic stimulation......a good sign that they may still be alive. Our course, this would be impossible if the brain, in this case Smith, is dead.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008   #20
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
You know what, I mainly just can't stand seeing D-Linemen drop back into pass coverage.
That's it!

All the bad karma of Fangio is still in the DC's office and it's affecting Smith's play calling. Someone needs to head over to Two Reliant Park with some chicken bones and incense.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read