Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans place RB Chris Brown on injured reserve

MojoMan

Hall of Fame
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5975236.html

After two days of talking with doctors and studying the situation, the Texans finally decided to place running back Chris Brown on injured reserve. That move leaves the Texans with 53 players on their roster, the maximum allowed in the regular season.

Brown, 27, has battled back problems all through training camp. It became the latest issue in what has been an injury-plagued career for Brown.

Brown, signed a two-year contract worth $3.6 million this offseason with the Texans. He received $800,000 as a signing bonus.

TexanSam

Hall of Fame
As much as we like to praise Kubiak and Rick Smith, they have made their share of bonehead signings.

Eric Moulds
Anthony Weaver
Jeb Putzier
Jacque Reeves
Chris Brown
Mike Flanagan
Ahman Green

J-Russ

Veteran
So he getting more money by being on IR, then he would've gotten from a injury settlement?

That's what I call milking it for all it's worth.

False Start

On # 69
I wise they would put him on permanent reserve and be done with it. Every time they showed him on TV during practice, he was standing there with his hand on his hips like he was gonna pass out. Hes like the RB version of Eric Moulds as Texan Sam alluded to.

edo783

Hall of Fame
Seems to me they just give to much of a break to guys that have a few years in the league. It's nice that they brought him in to see if he could make it, but at this point they should just cut him loose.

Allstar

Bona fide
As much as we like to praise Kubiak and Rick Smith, they have made their share of bonehead signings.

Eric Moulds
Anthony Weaver
Jeb Putzier

Jacque Reeves
Chris Brown
Mike Flanagan
Ahman Green
I believe all these are Casserly moves.

dtran04

Veteran
Essentially, they are "releasing" him for this year and keeping him property of the franchise. I suspect one of the extra tackles will be released once Salaam gets healthy and another back is brought in.

Reactions: 281

Veteran
Essentially, they are "releasing" him for this year and keeping him property of the franchise. I suspect one of the extra tackles will be released once Salaam gets healthy and another back is brought in.
good post.

MojoMan

Hall of Fame
So what does this mean for OT Chris Washburn? Are the Texan's going to carry six OT's and only 4 players at the RB/FB positions? With Chris Brown on injured Reserve, the Texans have four players on the roster for RB and FB combined. At RB they have Ahman Green, Chris Taylor and Steve Slaton. At FB they have Vonta Leech and Chris Taylor.

nunusguy

Hall of Fame

Eric Moulds
Anthony Weaver
Jeb Putzier
Jacque Reeves
Chris Brown
Mike Flanagan
Ahman Green
Add Colvin to the list of FA signings where Smith & Kubiak have blown McNairs
money. They just don't do as well in FA as they do in the Draft.
Atleast they haven't wasted any Draft picks in trades so far, subject to Schaub working out OK.

Maddict5

Hall of Fame

Eric Moulds
Anthony Weaver
Jeb Putzier
Jacque Reeves
Chris Brown
Mike Flanagan
Ahman Green
Add Colvin to the list of FA signings where Smith & Kubiak have blown McNairs
money. They just don't do as well in FA as they do in the Draft.
Atleast they haven't wasted any Draft picks in trades so far, subject to Schaub working out OK.
name any coach and il make a list longer than that for them of bad signings in the last two years. all of them bar weaver and possibly green were relatively small scale mistakes

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
If y'all are ready to play "throw Smithiak under the bus" for their signings.
Make sure you're not giving them credit for Casserly's work
Rick Smith didn't arrive until June, 2006.
Moulds, Putzier, Flanagan, Weaver, were signed before that and therefore all belong to Casserly.

...but so do Sage, Fred Weary, and Kevin Walter.

NOBODY bats 1.000. Very few, even Casserly, bat 0.000

And don't forget how badly we sucked when we made these moves. Those - at the time - were upgrades compared to most of the cast that went 2-14.

Almost any F/A is either (a) the last piece to your puzzle or (b) a stopgap until you can build your team thru the draft.

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
So what does this mean for OT Chris Washburn? Are the Texan's going to carry six OT's and only 4 players at the RB/FB positions? With Chris Brown on injured Reserve, the Texans have four players on the roster for RB and FB combined. At RB they have Ahman Green, Chris Taylor and Steve Slaton. At FB they have Vonta Leech and Chris Taylor.
Unless a miracle occurs and he beats out one of the other OL guys, Washburn is history as soon as Salaam returns.

texanhead08

All Pro
Brown came out of his mothers womb injured I was wondering what made us think he would be anything else here. I think when its all said and done we are going to see a rb tadum of Taylor and Slaton. They seem to be the most productive backs we have.

ChampionTexan

Hall of Fame
How stupid. They should have released his ass, and signed Rudi Johnson.
Per NFL rules, they can't release an injured player without reaching an injury settlement. I would imagine that we'll see that settlement fairly soon. Putting him on IR gives puts them in the exact same postion in regard to signing someone new as if they had been allowed to release him outright.

If they want to bring in Johnson (or any other player), they'll still have to cut someone, as we are at the 53 man limit. And I agree with the previous post - I don't want Johnson. It's just replacing one injury risk with another (and the new injury risk would be washed up when we got him).

dalemurphy

Hall of Fame

Eric Moulds
Anthony Weaver
Jeb Putzier
Jacque Reeves
Chris Brown
Mike Flanagan
Ahman Green
Weaver was before Smith was here.

Flanagan and Putzier are irrelevant- they were signed for depth at near the league minimum.

AGreen was a gamble that hasn't paid off.

I agree that we overpaid in trade compensation for Moulds, clearly.

Chris Brown was an inexpensive gamble- no big deal.

J. Reeves can't be considered a failure before his first regular season game, though I certainly have concern about him as well.

Insideop

All Pro

Eric Moulds
Anthony Weaver
Jeb Putzier
Jacque Reeves
Chris Brown
Mike Flanagan
Ahman Green
You can look at these signings as "bonehead" mistakes if you want, but NO Coach and GM is perfect with all of their FA's and draft picks, especially when you come to a team that just finished 2-14 the previous year. You do what you can with what is available and what will fit your offensive and defensive schemes.

I look at it this way. The FA's that Kubes and CC/Smith signed over the last 3 years are stop-gaps until they have drafted all the players they really want. Plus, it may take a few years to develop some of those drafted players to play the way you hope they will when you drafted them. In the mean time, hopefully, the FA's you signed will play up to their expectations. Some will and some won't. It's the chance they take.

Personally, I like what Kubes and Smith have done. Have all their FA's and draft picks worked out? No! I didn't expect them too, but I think they have more hits than misses, and that's all we can ask for. Besides, the proof they are doing something right is in the record. From 2-14 to 6-10 and then 8-8, that's not bad. The team is headed in the right direction! JMHO! :texflag:

And BTW, You can blame CC all you want, but those FA signings were made under Kubes and probably with his blessing. Again, you have to remember what Kubes was trying to do that 1st year and what was available and at what price.

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
You can look at these signings as "bonehead" mistakes if you want, but NO Coach and GM is perfect with all of their FA's and draft picks, especially when you come to a team that just finished 2-14 the previous year. You do what you can with what is available and what will fit your offensive and defensive schemes.

I look at it this way. The FA's that Kubes and CC/Smith signed over the last 3 years are stop-gaps until they have drafted all the players they really want. Plus, it may take a few years to develop some of those drafted players to play the way you hope they will when you drafted them. In the mean time, hopefully, the FA's you signed will play up to their expectations. Some will and some won't. It's the chance they take.

Personally, I like what Kubes and Smith have done. Have all their FA's and draft picks worked out? No! I didn't expect them too, but I think they have more hits than misses, and that's all we can ask for. Besides, the proof they are doing something right is in the record. From 2-14 to 6-10 and then 8-8, that's not bad. The team is headed in the right direction! JMHO! :texflag:

And BTW, You can blame CC all you want, but those FA signings were made under Kubes and probably with his blessing. Again, you have to remember what Kubes was trying to do that 1st year and what was available and at what price.
that's what I was trying to get across when I said this...
NOBODY bats 1.000. Very few, even Casserly, bat 0.000

And don't forget how badly we sucked when we made these moves. Those - at the time - were upgrades compared to most of the cast that went 2-14.

Almost any F/A is either (a) the last piece to your puzzle or (b) a stopgap until you can build your team thru the draft.

Grams

Veteran
Did they not also sign as a FA - Andre Davis, Will Demps, Kevin Walter?

Let's just not look at the negative.

You do not know if some of those FA signings of older more experienced players helped the younger guys learn. Maybe they helped more in the locker room than they did on the field.

We have gone from 2-14 to 8-8.

C

Ckw

I say we bring Darius Walker back up. He's the only one of our batch of running backs who has proven he can do it in the regular season.

ChampionTexan

Hall of Fame
Did they not also sign as a FA - Andre Davis, Will Demps, Kevin Walter?

Let's just not look at the negative.

You do not know if some of those FA signings of older more experienced players helped the younger guys learn. Maybe they helped more in the locker room than they did on the field.

We have gone from 2-14 to 8-8.
Sage would be a Kubiak era FA also. It's like a number of things - successes are overlooked when trying to make your point.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
I like the fact they are able to fess up, cut their losses instead of insisting they're right & wasting everyones time :specnatz:

In today's NFL I don't think you can win (or at least consistently win) unless you are doing your job during the draft. Free Agents cost more and the better teams usually only sign guys for depth. So far none of the free agents brought in since Kubiak has been here have been the kind that kill the cap. Weaver might not be a great signing, but he's better than what the team had. As long as the team's draft picks continue to do well Houston should start getting some compensation picks as their free agents sign elsewhere and the team won't need to bring some stop gap players.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
As IR, the effect on the active roster numbers is a moot point. If we are to go after another RB, someone on the present roster will be out. Walker, if he makes it past waivers will likely be placed on the PS as "prepared insurance" when one of the present RBs go down (or if you'd prefer to dream, "if" one goes down). Meanwhile, expect another RB to come off the waiver wire and make it directly onto the active roster. That way the number of available RBs is maximized.

Vinny

shiny happy fan
baseball players fail 70% of the time at the plate and are considered good. We just know the failures and dissapointments in Houston more than other cities because we are closer to this team. Every team has players who don't work out for one reason or another.

Honoring Earl 34

Something Witty !
baseball players fail 70% of the time at the plate and are considered good. We just know the failures and dissapointments in Houston more than other cities because we are closer to this team. Every team has players who don't work out for one reason or another.
So true and give them credit for trying above and beyond the draft and not breaking the bank for a FA . .

TexansSeminole

Hall of Fame
This really opens my eyes. We've got 3 running backs on the roster and two of them are already knicked up. Green with his groin + knee rehab and Slaton with the toe. We will need to bring Darius Walker back and maybe look to pick up another running back, maybe Shipp.

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
This really opens my eyes. We've got 3 running backs on the roster and two of them are already knicked up. Green with his groin + knee rehab and Slaton with the toe. We will need to bring Darius Walker back and maybe look to pick up another running back, maybe Shipp.
If Walker is unable to be on the practice squad, I would guess that he has been told to sit by the phone.

utahmark

markbeth
injured reserve puts him out the entire year, right. you cant come back in weak 12 or anything like that?

KEYE SUX

Waterboy
If we don't sign Walker then we will only have Taylor and Slaton running the ball after the first series of the Pitt game. I say get these young guys some PT and see who comes out at the top. IMO our running game can't be any worse than last year.

nunusguy

Hall of Fame
name any coach and il make a list longer than that for them of bad signings in the last two years. all of them bar weaver and possibly green were relatively small scale mistakes
I think Smith & Kubiaks failure to get the Texans help at corner, DE, and RB in FA this year will be one of the primary reason we don't make the playoffs in 2008.
The good news is they should be able to fill 2 or maybe even all 3 of those needs in the 2009 NFL Draft, because they seem to be much more successful in at selecting talent in the Draft than FA.

threetoedpete

Hall of Fame
If Walker is unable to be on the practice squad, I would guess that he has been told to sit by the phone.
This is what I'm thinking also. McClain says they don't like him...what ever that means. Thought it was two years and/or X number of games.

I don't know but I gotta have a little faith in Reeves. They didn't just flip this guy a pile of cash and say he's ready. Someone watched him on film with Dallas and said " I can fix that". Like I said I don't know, but if the move has Rhodes finger prints on it, and again I don't know anything for sure just guessing, we need to give it a little time. Petie sure did turn on the jets this preseason didn't he ?

Saw where Milford Brown was cut once again.

threetoedpete

Hall of Fame
Ya know they both got personality disorders....but Tommy Blake and Cory Boyd are still out there. I know they don't want to screw up the locker room. Just saying. Ya wanna be 7-9 or do you wanna shot at 10-6 ?

HJam72

Hall of Fame
Ya know they both got personality disorders....but Tommy Blake and Cory Boyd are still out there. I know they don't want to screw up the locker room. Just saying. Ya wanna be 7-9 or do you wanna shot at 10-6 ?
I don't know who those miscreants are, but we can clean up the locker room in the offseason. :fans::pirate::shades:

Wolf

100% Texan
Chris Brown's path to the NFL took him from Northwestern to Fort Scott (Kan.) Community College to Colorado. So the 6-foot-3-inch, 220-pound running back out of Naperville North has dealt with adversity before.

Once the Houston Texans placed Brown on injured reserve with a sore back last August, his 2008 season was automatically over. His older brother Levelle said the health situation has improved.

"(Chris) said he feels probably the best he's felt in quite some time," Levelle said. "(His) back's all healed up (and) it never really hurts to take a year off. That's what I always tell him, give him a hard time."

The Texans did not select a running back in April's draft. They do have Steve Slaton, who accounted for nearly 1,700 yards as a rookie in 2008. Brown could be the roster's change-of-pace back.

"I think (the coaching staff has) big expectations for the whole running back group to go out there and have a 1-2 punch with Slaton and I. Hopefully, we'll get the job done and make the playoffs and go for a long run," Brown told HoustonTexans.com in May. "We're totally two different styles. Steve's that small guy, quick scatback-type guy. I come in -- I'm north-south, getting downhill. That's how I run."
http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/napervillesun/sports/1649015,6_2_NA02_OURALUMNI_S2-090702.article

El Tejano

Hall of Fame
Let me see a show of hands of how many people did like me and clicked on this thread thinking " I knew it!" or "I told you so!"

awtysst

Draft Guru
Let me see a show of hands of how many people did like me and clicked on this thread thinking " I knew it!" or "I told you so!"
Yeah I was thinking ****, did he go on IR again. Took me a moment to realize this was from last August.