Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-30-2008   #21
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202148 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Insight into Ahman Green Signing

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
It is stupid to just ignore the FA market.
That's absolutely right.........there has got to be a calculated "relative" balance. Make smarter draft pics and their associated contracts, and use the extra money for picking smarter FA signings and their associated contracts. The former makes you less dependent, not independent, on the latter.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008   #22
kozanack
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 kozanack is a Hall of Famerkozanack is a Hall of Famerkozanack is a Hall of Famerkozanack is a Hall of Famerkozanack is a Hall of Famerkozanack is a Hall of Famerkozanack is a Hall of Famerkozanack is a Hall of Famerkozanack is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Maybe I'm projecting my own thought processes here; but I think Smithiak use F/As for placeholders until they can draft (and develop) guys that they really want.
I think you are right-on. The point isn't to conserve the owner's money. The point is to win games. The Texans had so many holes, they couldn't fill them quickly through the draft. So they needed to dip into the free agent market. Because they didn't have good team, they had to overpay for mediocre talent. Ultimately, they are winning more games, and the roster is getting deeper. Going into last season, the starting line-up was good, but many positions were questionable, and depth was dicey. Going into the 2008 season, the roster is deeper, and ey are still one draft awaythere are fewer questions.
kozanack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008   #23
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213051 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Here's an indirect link to the article that Nunusguy was referring to.
Thanks. It was a good read; confirmed some stuff that had been rolling around in the back of my mind. I thought both Ahman and Flanagan were Sherman's picks as much, if not more, than Kubiak's.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read