Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-29-2008   #21
Polo

Default Re: [Scout.com] Texans Pass Rush is a Concern

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Honest question (not trying to be an ass), what have we seen in the past 2 seasons would give you the impression "we'll get it going during the season"?
With our defense we basically gutted the interior and started from scratch.

Young guys are the captains over there. Demeco, Mario, Amobi, Freddie B. ...lots of new guys, second yr. players...and scrubs....

On offense we have more established talent...Chester Pitts, Matt Schaub, Andre Johnson, Meyers....Guys that have started with us or have been in the leauge for a while now...

Towards the end of the season last year the defense started playing better together...I don't think we are going to be shutting anyone down, but over the course of the season we may be able to do just enough on defense to where our offense can win us some games...

Lots of young guys playing big roles over there....Lots of untalented Vets taking up cap space too...Maybe as the season progresses, other guys get chances and emerge....Crazier things have happened, so I mean there is a little room for optimism....right ?
Old 08-29-2008   #22
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

The excuse of Mario being double and triple teamed both alleviates and exacerbates my worry.

1. If Mario is being double and triple teamed, no wonder he isn't reeking havoc!

2. If Mario is being double or triple teamed, that leaves, what, 2 or 3 OL to block the rest of our pass rush? And they only managed 2 sacks the entire preseason? YIKES!
Old 08-29-2008   #23
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Rep Power: 159 WesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I've been an NFL fan since around 1971 and I know one thing if I know nothing...the NFL is a sprint and each game means more than they do in baseball or basketball or any other sport that has more than 8 home games. In baseball you can 'get it together' during the marathon season but in football there are no games to waste getting into your season stride...once the first game whistle blows it's a mad dash.
I dont disagree with anything, makes sense. All Im saying is that I personally think they will show up in the regular season. But even if they dont, Im not gunna get upset about anything untill I see it in a regular season game, thats all.....

Thanks Texan Rocky and Brando for the Avatar and Sig!
WesmanTexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008   #24
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 199937 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
Sometimes double teams have nothing to do with personnel and everything to do with assignment...
Assignment or not, double teams are not directed toward the weak retarded nonthreatening figure.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008   #25
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Assignment or not, double teams are not directed toward the weak retarded nonthreatening figure.
When you find one of those on an NFL football field let me know.
Old 08-29-2008   #26
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'll take Vince Young for $1000 Alex.
Old 08-29-2008   #27
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I've been an NFL fan since around 1971 and I know one thing if I know nothing...the NFL is a sprint and each game means more than they do in baseball or basketball or any other sport that has more than 8 home games. In baseball you can 'get it together' during the marathon season but in football there are no games to waste getting into your season stride...once the first game whistle blows it's a mad dash.

Sincerely,

'07 Giants, 0-2 start, Super Bowl champs
'05 Seahawks, 2-2 start, AFC champs
'02 Raiders, 4-4 after Week 9, AFC champs
'01 Pats, 1-3 after Week 4, Super Bowl champs
'96 Pats, 0-2 start, AFC champs
'93 Oilers, 1-4 start, homefiled advantage throughout playoffs before choking like dogs again

etc.
etc.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-29-2008   #28
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesmanTexanfan View Post
I dont disagree with anything, makes sense. All Im saying is that I personally think they will show up in the regular season. But even if they dont, Im not gunna get upset about anything untill I see it in a regular season game, thats all.....
The problem with that is, right out of the gate their first five, we're facing teams will be chasing play off tie breakers on. I have this horrid vision of Big Ben sitting in the pocket.... for four or five seconds until their little smurfs run their crossing patterns....leaving our athletically challenged DBs chasing back pockets. Time ?...they have a week from Sunday, if we're talking 10-6 and a playoff hunt.
Old 08-29-2008   #29
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Rep Power: 159 WesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
The problem with that is, right out of the gate their first five, we're facing teams will be chasing play off tie breakers on. I have this horrid vision of Big Ben sitting in the pocket.... for four or five seconds until their little smurfs run their crossing patterns....leaving our athletically challenged DBs chasing back pockets. Time ?...they have a week from Sunday, if we're talking 10-6 and a playoff hunt.
Ill wait to see what happens, what theyve done in pre season is nothing to take stock in.....

Thanks Texan Rocky and Brando for the Avatar and Sig!
WesmanTexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008   #30
kcdoubleeagle
Veteran

Rep Power: 475 kcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respected
Cool Re: [Scout.com] Texans Pass Rush is a Concern

Quote:
Reuters also reports that water is wet and that the search team looking for the Texans alleged running game led by Ahman Green, is officially missing in action as well.
They also just reported that Vince Young doesn't know how to pass.
kcdoubleeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008   #31
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
The excuse of Mario being double and triple teamed both alleviates and exacerbates my worry.

1. If Mario is being double and triple teamed, no wonder he isn't reeking havoc!

2. If Mario is being double or triple teamed, that leaves, what, 2 or 3 OL to block the rest of our pass rush? And they only managed 2 sacks the entire preseason? YIKES!
Well you have to factor in the non-factors, which are TJ and Weaver. TJ can be block straight up and Weaver... well you can let the RB/FB take him on, but it's not like you need someone blocking him to take him out of the play. They are no threat from a pass-rushing standpoint, so that only leaves Amobi who could also be double-team.

I'm just hoping we can hit a jackpot and pick up a pass-rushing DE through the wavier if a deep team cuts one.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008   #32
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 199937 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo
Sometimes double teams have nothing to do with personnel and everything to do with assignment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger
Quote:

OK, have it your way

CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008   #33
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 177966 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Maybe Gustav can get to Heinz field and make it a swamp .
Old 08-30-2008   #34
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183481 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I think Colvin will be fine.
He's a pro. When the regular season comes, he will turn it on.
At least, I hope so!
Who's he play for again ? ...

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008   #35
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans34Life View Post
http://hou.scout.com/2/784062.html (The rest of the article is here.)

I hereby claim this thread in the name of CAPTAIN OOOOOBVIOUS!
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008   #36
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
agreed...but most of us aren't upset. We are just discussing what we see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
Sincerely,

'07 Giants, 0-2 start, Super Bowl champs
'05 Seahawks, 2-2 start, AFC champs
'02 Raiders, 4-4 after Week 9, AFC champs
'01 Pats, 1-3 after Week 4, Super Bowl champs
'96 Pats, 0-2 start, AFC champs
'93 Oilers, 1-4 start, homefiled advantage throughout playoffs before choking like dogs again

etc.
etc.
indeed. Poor starts or poor stretches can be overcome. Looking at our schedule I can see us still having an outside shot at the playoffs even if we lose 3 of our first 4. I was just trying to emphasize that football is more of a sprint than a marathon like baseball and basketball.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read