Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Which position would you upgrade on the defense if you could just "make it happen"?
Weaver: We need help with the pass rush to get the most out of Mario! 45 73.77%
Greenwood: We need another LB to go with DeMeco and we need him now! 5 8.20%
Reeves: As long as he's the best we have opposite Bennett we're in trouble. We need a CB 11 18.03%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-28-2008   #1
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default So which "hole" do you fill in our defense?

I'm just curious about how we've all kind of identified this "unholy trinity" of Weaver, Greenwood, and Reeves and I thought "If I could fix just one of those positons which one would I fix?" and that made me wonder what the general consensus is.

If you could swap out one of those players for a truly "good" player at that position which one would you fix? Ignore salary cap issues and without focusing on one particular player and tell me which level of our defense you would correct if you could do it "just like that".
Old 08-28-2008   #2
Revolution
All Pro

Rep Power: 304 Revolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: So which "hole" do you fill in our defense?

Tough call between Weaver and Reeves. Since Reeves just got here and I know that Weaver won't cut it in our defense, I say I would upgrade the DE spot. That will help Mario and can take some pressure off our DBs.

Last edited by Revolution; 08-28-2008 at 12:13 AM.
Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008   #3
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 320620 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I could make an argument for any of them. My initial inclination was Greenwood because we'd get a better blitzer who could apply pressure, a guy able to knife through and stuff the run, and hopefully a guy that could drop back in coverage and be a difference maker.

But... I think I'd go with Weaver. It would be awesome to be able to really get pressure with our 4 down linemen. That might do more to hide Greenwood and Reeves. Maybe.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008   #4
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 273403 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I could make an argument for any of them. My initial inclination was Greenwood because we'd get a better blitzer who could apply pressure, a guy able to knife through and stuff the run, and hopefully a guy that could drop back in coverage and be a difference maker.

But... I think I'd go with Weaver. It would be awesome to be able to really get pressure with our 4 down linemen. That might do more to hide Greenwood and Reeves. Maybe.
Exactly.

I give a nod to Polo... we could - and should - definitely upgrade defensively - but that doesn't take Smith off the hook

After thinking about it, the quickest impact would be a Mario clone to get into the backfield faster. That should make Amobi and T.J. more effective. Maybe we could move Weaver to tackle and get some use out of him.

If we upgrade Reeves or Greenwood, you still have a sucky pass rush. Not even Champ Bailey can cover for 4-5 seconds.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008   #5
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 242285 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Exactly.

I give a nod to Polo... we could - and should - definitely upgrade defensively - but that doesn't take Smith off the hook

After thinking about it, the quickest impact would be a Mario clone to get into the backfield faster. That should make Amobi and T.J. more effective. Maybe we could move Weaver to tackle and get some use out of him.

If we upgrade Reeves or Greenwood, you still have a sucky pass rush. Not even Champ Bailey can cover for 4-5 seconds.

4-5 seconds????????...........I counted 8-10 seconds on several plays...........it would be interesting if someone went through a tape of the preseason and tabulate only the time results of the Texans rush........I believe it would be very interesting.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008   #6
Tedc
Hardheaded

Rep Power: 4615 Tedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
4-5 seconds????????...........I counted 8-10 seconds on several plays...........it would be interesting if someone went through a tape of the preseason and tabulate only the time results of the Texans rush........I believe it would be very interesting.
I agree. I hope to see our D get to the QB better in the real season. It is hard for fans to promote a "Bull Rush" defense if it closer resembles a milk cow.
Old 08-28-2008   #7
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

I abstain from voting. I was strongly tempted to vote for a shut down type corner, but you guys make a very strong argument for LB.
Silver Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-28-2008   #8
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

If we're just gonna dream-on here with a moneys-no-object kind of wish, a complete fantasy, I'd say give us a lightning-quick edge-rusher like Dwight Freeney or DeMarcus Ware and then move Mario over to strong-side where he belongs.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008   #9
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 127674 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i voted reeves. weaver can be subbed out for kalu, cochran, and colvin to help with the pass rush opposite mario. greenwood's cocooned between mario and ryans and might sneak in a play on occasion (though without dante to his right he's exposed). reeves however is flawed nomatter what happens with the other 10 players - see jason david. no pass rush, no play design, no outside performance is going to make him into a starter.

you are the weakest link. goodbye.
Old 08-28-2008   #10
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1312 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

weaver... we need some serious pass rushing impact from that position, and though i like cochran, i'm not sold on anyone on the roster to provide it consistently.

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008   #11
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll give Reeves a little more time before I want to get rid of him. He is still getting used to our defense. That being said he needs to tackle better. Greenwood is servicable. This is Weavers 3rd year and still has not done anything. If we can get someone that would put some pressure on the QB that would also help Reeves. So give me someone in place of Weaver.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008   #12
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 12424 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

Reeves will be replaces as soon as Robinson gets back.

It's a hard decision between Greenwood and Weaver though. I'll go with the linebacker unless you're talking about a pro-bowl replacement, in which case it would be weaver.
noxiousdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008   #13
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 139057 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

D. All of the above
Old 08-28-2008   #14
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
D. All of the above
I should have added that option and had a "D. Replacing just one of them wouldn't do any good" or something like that.
Old 08-28-2008   #15
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 143421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Everything starts up front with the big nasties. I'd replace Weaver.

Honestly, I could care less how many draft picks it takes to get that DLine. We've got to win the battle up front.

Old 08-28-2008   #16
Polo

Greenwood.

Our LB's are terrible defending the underneath/intermediate passing game...

An upgrade there would help us with run stopping, pass rushing (blitzing), and intermediate pass coverage...

I really like Zach Diles, but to me he is more of a solid compliment rather than a playmaker...I'd like to add another LB that plays on the opponents side of the line of scrimmage rather than on his heels all the time...
Old 08-28-2008   #17
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 139057 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

If you break the defense into 3 elements: linemen, linebackers, secondary - I assess it this way...

Linemen: Mario is set, anyone else??
Linebackers: DeMeco is set, anyone else??
Seconday: Anyone?? Anybody???

I'm also of the opinion that DeMeco needs to move to the outside. With Amobi being a little undersized and DeMeco being undersized - we are undersized in the middle... Not a good recipe for being able to stop the run...
Of course that still doesn't answer the linebacking corps problems....
Old 08-28-2008   #18
Polo

Are we really that small inside ?

No.

We aren't massive, but our guys aren't that little either.

And Demeco isn't undersized...He's actually about the norm...

Amobi and Travis aren't all that small either....

Last edited by Polo; 08-28-2008 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-28-2008   #19
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
Are we really that small inside ?

Of course.
Define small then............

Okoye and Ryans:
6'-2" 302lbs. and 6'-1" 236 lbs. seems small to me to stop the run...

Haynesworth and Fowler:
6'-6" 320lbs. and 6'-3 250lbs
Old 08-28-2008   #20
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 143421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Define small then............

Okoye and Ryans:
6'-2" 302lbs. and 6'-1" 236 lbs. seems small to me to stop the run...

Haynesworth and Fowler:
6'-6" 320lbs. and 6'-3 250lbs
You should know small very well. You see the little stack of buttons every day in the mirror.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read