Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

A. Green Restructures Contract

Green restructures contract

Interesting....

Green, who has not played since suffering a pulled goin muscle in the first preseason game, would have made a base salary of 3.8 million, and counting bonuses, could have made as much as 4.2 million.

Now, Green's base salary will be 1.8 million, which frees up 2 million in salary-cap dollars.

To get Green to agree to redo his deal, the Texans are giving him $200,000 for every game in which he's active this season, starting with the second game of the year. That means Green can make three million if he stay's healthy for every game.

By agreeing to restructure the second year of the four-year contract he signed in 2007, Green is showing that he believes he will be healthy this season.

Ok, this tells me he's not going anywhere which is fine because we've got a season to run the young guys if Green can't go. I take my hat off to him for agreeing to do this however.

Chronicle article said:
To get Green to agree to redo his deal, the Texans are giving him $200,000 for every game in which he's active this season, starting with the second game of the year.

Nice way of announcing that Green won't be ready to go for week 1.

It makes me wounder if the Texans restructed his contract to cut someone like a Weaver and they can accelerate the cap hit for this year, instead of partial this year and the rest next year.

i like this move a lot... it's about time he was given incentive to ACTUALLY play for us. i don't care how old you are, you should only hold a roster spot if you're actually going to contribute in some way, shape, or form.

Good move by Texans to recover some cash and give Ahman some incentive to stay healthy. Ahman is a terrible disappointment.

It is great that he realized that he A. was not worth the $$ he was getting B. was going to be cut. Hopefully this will give him back the FIRE to go out and play (unless he plays only hard enough to not get hurt) Sadly, I think this also means that Walker will be let go and our RB corps will be Green, Slaton, and Taylor.

Personally, I think this says that Brown is gone.

I think it was great for Ahman to restructure and I think it was great for Smith to get him to do it. I'll be interested to see if anyone else follows suit.

restructured to avoid being cut

Vinny you nailed it and it means Chris Brown is more than likely gone. Green knew that this would likely seal the deal so to speak as to which glass back to keep. Doesn't really matter to me because I'm excited about the Slaton/Taylor 1-2 punch.

great job, front office,,, maybe bring in alexander on same kind of deal?????

I don't think we need Shaun Alexander.
Taylor, Walker, and Slaton - with a motivated Green for at least some games - should suffice.

Nice way of announcing that Green won't be ready to go for week 1.

What is going on? Both stories are written by McClain.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5971192.html

Texans running back Ahman Green has agreed to restructure his contract this season.

Green, who has not played since suffering a pulled goin muscle in the first preseason game, would have made a base salary of 3.8 million, and counting bonuses, could have made as much as 4.2 million.

Now, Green's base salary will be 1.8 million, which frees up 2 million in salary-cap dollars.

To get Green to agree to redo his deal, the Texans are giving him $200,000 for every game in which he's active this season, starting with the second game of the year. That means Green can make three million if he stay's healthy for every game.
By agreeing to restructure the second year of the four-year contract he signed in 2007, Green is showing that he believes he will be healthy this season.

The last two years of Green's contract were not changed. In 2009, he has a 4.8 million base and $500,000 bonus. In 2010, he has a 4.3 million base and a $500,000 bonus.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5970987.html

Running back Ahman Green agreed Wednesday to restructure the 2008 portion of his four-year contract, reducing his base salary from $3.8 million to $1.8 million.

The deal frees up $2 million in salary cap money for the Texans.

Green, who hasn’t played since suffering a groin injury on the first play of preseason against Denver, is expected to start the first regular-season game at Pittsburgh.

In the deal negotiated by general manager Rick Smith and agent Joby Branion, Green agreed to give up $2 million in base salary and a $500,000 bonus for a chance to make $3 million in per-game bonuses.

In addition to his $1.8 million base, beginning with the second game - the home opener against Baltimore - Green will get $200,000 for every game in which he’s active. If he’s active for the last 15 games, he’ll make $3 million, bringing his income to $4.8 million.

The last two years of the four-year contract won’t change. His base salary next year is $4.8 million. His base salary in 2010 is $4.3 million. He receives $500,000 bonuses each year.

Last year, when Green suffered a knee injury in the first game and was limited to 260 yards rushing, he received a $5 million signing bonus, a base salary of $1.5 million and a roster bonus of $1.5 million

Last edited:
Reactions: GP
In the deal negotiated by general manager Rick Smith and agent Joby Branion, Green agreed to give up $2 million in base salary and a $500,000 bonus for a chance to make $3 million in per-game bonuses.

The 500k bonus was already a per-game bonus, and not a lump sum. They just shifted $2 million of his base (that was previously guaranteed if he made the 53) to the per-game bonus bucket (which isn't guaranteed unless he's on the gameday 45).

It's not like Ahman had much leverage in this situation. I was becoming more and more bewilderered at how the team could agree to guarantee his base salary leading up to the roster cuts - given Green's inability to contribute. At least there's a little more incentive now for him to get/stay on the field - otherwise it was just easy money. It's refreshing in a way to see the organization make this move. It will be even better to see Ahman contribute before he rides off into the sunset.

Great move by the GM. Green knew that whatever deal the Texans offered him - it would be way more than he could get as a FA if the Texans were to cut him. He literally had no choice but to accept the deal.

restructured to avoid being cut

My thought exactly.

Green is an intelligent man, he sees the writing on the wall.

I'm actually very pleased with this, now we can bring him to the regular season and fire him off, and regardless of the result it's 'affordable'.

Vinny you nailed it and it means Chris Brown is more than likely gone. Green knew that this would likely seal the deal so to speak as to which glass back to keep. Doesn't really matter to me because I'm excited about the Slaton/Taylor 1-2 punch.

Actually I think Brown may still make the team as well as Slaton and Taylor.

Taylor will fill the slot that went to Jameel Cook last year.

someone please explain to me how a football player can have incentive to stay healthy? nonsense.

Incentive/disincentive performance clauses should be part of all NFL contracts.......including draft picks. The excuse of "I need to get as much money as I can, because I have a limited window to make it........and what happens if I get injured" can be addressed with LARGE INSURANCE POLICIES, that can be part of the contract or taken out by the player himself (from his given income). What happens when WE don't work?............For that matter, what happens if WE become disabled? What happens when life doesn't deal us the hand we wanted/expected?????:thinking:

This was an obvious move that had to happen for Green to remain with the team. If he's cut for be unwilling to negotiate, I suspect what he gets with another team, if any are interested, is closer to league minimum than his amended terms with the Texans. And I'm with whoever suggested we use the cap savings by releasing Weaver.

...but it only frees it up if he doesn't earn the per-game bonus, which if I was a betting man, would appear to be a good bet.

I don't really think Green lacks motivation. I think he's just past his prime and can't stay healthy. It happens. Brown may lack motivation. I don't know.

...but it only frees it up if he doesn't earn the per-game bonus, which if I was a betting man, would appear to be a good bet.

Still think his #1 goal is to sneak paychecks and ride the pine for fear of being in contact?

The real question is, "what are they freeing up salary cap space for?"

I'm expecting a deal to happen in the next few days, either a trade or they have an eye on a free agent or soon to be free agent.

Then again, maybe they just created some space to re-sign and extend some of our guys.

The real question is, "what are they freeing up salary cap space for?"
As aj stated earlier in the thread, there isn't any extra cap space if Green is active over the course of the season. If Green can't stay on the field, the team could release him and realize some cap savings. If so, that money could be used on a replacement at RB.

As far as an impending pickup goes, the Texans are flexible enough under the cap to make a move now. According to Keith's salary cap page, at inthebullseye.com, the Texans are about $8 million under prior to Green's restructure. Whether Green had or hadn't restructured, the Texans could bring on a big salary. If the situation presents itself.

What is going on? Both stories are written by McClain.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5971192.html

Texans running back Ahman Green has agreed to restructure his contract this season.

The last two years of Green's contract were not changed. In 2009, he has a 4.8 million base and $500,000 bonus. In 2010, he has a 4.3 million base and a $500,000 bonus.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5970987.html

Running back Ahman Green agreed Wednesday to restructure the 2008 portion of his four-year contract, reducing his base salary from $3.8 million to $1.8 million.

The deal frees up $2 million in salary cap money for the Texans.

Green, who hasn’t played since suffering a groin injury on the first play of preseason against Denver, is expected to start the first regular-season game at Pittsburgh.

In addition to his $1.8 million base, beginning with the second game — the home opener against Baltimore — Green will get $200,000 for every game in which he’s active. If he’s active for the last 15 games, he’ll make $3 million, bringing his income to $4.8 million.

The last two years of the four-year contract won’t change. His base salary next year is $4.8 million. His base salary in 2010 is $4.3 million. He receives $500,000 bonuses each year.

Last year, when Green suffered a knee injury in the first game and was limited to 260 yards rushing, he received a $5 million signing bonus, a base salary of $1.5 million and a roster bonus of $1.5 million

Green will play week 1. The per game bonus kicks in week 2, so that the total will be 3 mil for the year. 15 games X 200,000 = $3,000,000. If they started it week 1, it would throw everything off.

I don't think this is exactly right (at least as far as this year's cap). I think the bonuses are classified as incentives, which can either be "not likely to be earned" or "likely to be earned". I believe that deciding which category it will be is done by comparing to the previous year. Since Green was inactive so much of last year, I think these would be all or mostly "not likely to be earned."

My understanding of the salary cap is that only the likely to be earned incentives would count against this year's cap (if earned). The NLTBE incentives, if earned, would count instead against next year's cap. So, I think even if Green earns the incentives, the cap hit would be mainly next year.

It is great that he realized that he A. was not worth the $$ he was getting B. was going to be cut. Hopefully this will give him back the FIRE to go out and play (unless he plays only hard enough to not get hurt) Sadly, I think this also means that Walker will be let go and our RB corps will be Green, Slaton, and Taylor.

I thought kubes made reference to possibly keeping 4 backs which means that Walker could still be in the mix. as for green restructuring, i think that this makes brown the odd man out.

I don't see at this point how you don't keep Darius Walker...

Even if you go with Green and Brown there's no guarantee that either will make it through the first game...

I don't see at this point how you don't keep Darius Walker...

Even if you go with Green and Brown there's no guarantee that either will make it through the first game...

If we keep Brown and Green, I doubt we keep Walker. Don't forget about Taylor and Slaton.

If we keep Brown and Green, I doubt we keep Walker. Don't forget about Taylor and Slaton.

Brown isn't even guaranteed to make it to the game much less get through it...

Green hasn't shown he can make it through a series...

It's possible that one or both could be gone in the blink of an eye....

That'd only leave you with two backs in a hearbeat...

I think Walker makes this team regardless....

Agree in general with Vinny, but if they don't think Brown can stay healthy they could jettison him and keep Walker as RB #4, with Green, Slaton and Taylor being the swingman jack of all trades.

If brown stays walker is out... which i think it'd be a mistake to keep brown & let walker go but i just think at some point kubes has to give him a fair chance to make this team. He's done nothing but what they ask.

I don't think this is exactly right (at least as far as this year's cap). I think the bonuses are classified as incentives, which can either be "not likely to be earned" or "likely to be earned". I believe that deciding which category it will be is done by comparing to the previous year. Since Green was inactive so much of last year, I think these would be all or mostly "not likely to be earned."

My understanding of the salary cap is that only the likely to be earned incentives would count against this year's cap (if earned). The NLTBE incentives, if earned, would count instead against next year's cap. So, I think even if Green earns the incentives, the cap hit would be mainly next year.
In essence, I think you're right. According to the NFL CBA, roster bonuses are considered unlikely to be earned. So the cap hit could be moved to 2009.

(c) Incentives.
(vi) Any incentive bonus that depends on a player’s individual performance in any category not identified in Exhibit B hereto automatically will be deemed “likely to be earned.”
(EXHIBIT B)
INDIVIDUAL INCENTIVES

OTHERS
Roster bonuses
Roster bonuses are indentified in Exhibit B as an unlikely to be earned incentive.

Since we probably aren't going to carry the 6th reciever + Taylor is also a FB, I can see us carrying four backs...

I think, regardless, Walker is going to make the team..

Last edited by a moderator:

Nah, we have Taylor as the emegrency FB, we could keep 4.

Back