Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-29-2008   #61
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 320620 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Roster Cuts/Moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
So Cliff Washburn sticks with the team?
He sticks until they find someone they like on the waiver wire.

But I was surprised he stayed instead of Maddux, Fletcher, or Earl.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008   #62
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
he's a warm body at OL.
Remember Salaam is recovering from surgery and I think Chris White is nicked up. So they have two OL guys on the roster that are - for right now - non-functional. So when Salaam & White heal up (maybe before), look for one or two OL guys to be replaced by someone put on waivers by other teams.
Washburn is roster #53 1/2.

They have 11 OL's on the roster now which is not normal. More to come.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008   #63
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58125 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak -

Quote:
(on the tackle position situation with six players) “Yeah. We went a little heavy just like we just talked about. We went a little heavy on the offensive line. As you put a team together and you assess value and one position versus another position, we just felt like all those players at this point deserve to be on our team and give us a chance to go win and be competitive. If you look at our offensive tackle group, there’s a bunch of guys there, but (T) Ephraim’s (Salaam) been off for a little while with the knee. (T) Rashad (Butler) had a little bit of a shoulder deal yesterday. He’s going to be fine. All of the sudden you look like you’re heavy at a position, but injuries can take its toll on positions at certain times. I think a little bit of that has a little bit to do with it. Again, it’s just trying to get the best 53 guys at the end of the day.”

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008   #64
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Sucks to see Fletcher and Walker get cut. You can't help but vote for Walker (even if you're like me and a sucker for "Wednesdays with Walker")..I was pulling for him OVER Brown. Moffitt was tough as well. Wish I could've seen more from him cause he seemed like someone who could've contributed.

But the bottom-line is this...we are getting to the point where we're cutting guys who'll play for other teams. It's a bitter-sweet feeling....but satisfying to know we're going where we want to be.
Old 08-29-2008   #65
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
From HT.com

NAME----------POS.---HT.---WT.---COLLEGE
Jon Abbate......FB.....5-11...245...Wake Forest
Shane Boyd......QB......6-1...232...Kentucky
Alex Brink......QB......6-2...208...Washington St.
Kevis Coley.....LB......6-1...228...Southern Miss.
Rosevelt Colvin DE......6-3...250...Purdue
Glenn Earl.......S......6-1...215...Notre Dame
Greg Eslinger....C......6-3...292...Minnesota
Jamar Fletcher..CB.....5-10...180...Wisconsin
Darnell Jenkins WR.....5-10...188...Miami (Fla.)
Ryan Krause.....TE......6-3...244...Neb. - Omaha
Gabe Long.......DT......6-3...290...Utah
Anthony Maddox..DT......6-1...305...Delta St.
LeRon McCoy.....WR......6-1...219...Indiana (Pa.)
Ben Moffitt.....LB......6-2...245...South Florida
Jesse Nading....DE......6-5...258...Colorado St.
DerrickRoberson CB.....5-10...185...Rutgers
Marcel Shipp....RB.....5-11...224...Massachusetts
Mark Simmons....WR.....5-10...187...Kansas
Torrin Tucker....T......6-6...315...Southern Miss.
Darius Walker...RB.....5-11...205...Notre Dame
Dexter Wynn.....CB......5-9...175...Colorado St.
Thanks for the comprehensive list. I was disapointed with the Mofitt and Madox cuts. I'll be surprised if we've seen the last of Dariuos Walker. I'm stunned that Fletcher & Maddox were released. I think the roster is still in flux and will be well into September.
Old 08-29-2008   #66
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it was on ESPN that they were commenting on the Eagles and how they would likely be cutting this DE that was doing well in preseason with sacks etc. because they were so deep there with four other guys. That is the kind of guy I see Rick Smith bringing in the next day or two. If they can find a short yardage type RB I would think they would look at him also.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008   #67
Chicagotexan1
Hall of Fame

Location: In a van down by the river next to another van down by the river
Rep Power: 52 Chicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Brown and Green remain, but Darius Walker is out? Sure Walker isn't Barry Sanders, but at least he did a hell of alot more than those 2 bumbs. I don't get it.
Old 08-29-2008   #68
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 107813 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagotexan1 View Post
Brown and Green remain, but Darius Walker is out? Sure Walker isn't Barry Sanders, but at least he did a hell of alot more than those 2 bumbs. I don't get it.
It's sounding like it's a fairly safe bet Brown isn't going to remain much longer.
Old 08-29-2008   #69
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
I think it was on ESPN that they were commenting on the Eagles and how they would likely be cutting this DE that was doing well in preseason with sacks etc. because they were so deep there with four other guys. That is the kind of guy I see Rick Smith bringing in the next day or two. If they can find a short yardage type RB I would think they would look at him also.
I'm guessing that guy might be Jerome McDougal, a DE who had 2.5 sacks in four pre-season game this year.
http://www.nfl.com/players/profile?id=00-0022163

Former first-round pick of the Eagles, who most fans consider a bust so far in the nfl.

EDIT: Looks like the Eagles fans want to keep him around. Who knows, it's up to Reid though.

http://boards.philadelphiaeagles.com...c=506937&st=20

Also, I hope Seattle cut Babin so we can bring him back! he was also a beast this pre-season.

Last edited by J-Russ; 08-29-2008 at 10:45 PM.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008   #70
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 320620 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagotexan1 View Post
I think Brown is gone and they're going to try to find another, better guy on the waiver wire. I expect them to try to put Darius on the PS.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008   #71
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm surprised to see Darius Walker, Anthony Maddox, and Shane Boyd go. They'll probably bring back Alex Brink to the practice squad. Disappointed that the Roosevelt Colvin era didn't last long. I was really hoping that he and Mario Williams will give us a fierce pass rush. At this point all teams have to do is to double up on Mario and the rest is easy.
Old 08-30-2008   #72
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 294595 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
At this point all teams have to do is to double up on Mario and the rest is easy.
I would imagine that's how Tampa Bay fans felt about Leroy Selmon in the beginning of his carear. Not that I disagree with you, because I don't. We still need someone else on the opposite side of Mario to at least warrant attention.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008   #73
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 274452 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

The names in red make our practice squad...

Originally Posted by ObsiWan
From HT.com

ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008   #74
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 107813 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The names in red make our practice squad...

Originally Posted by ObsiWan
From HT.com

No major (or even minor) disagreements, but a couple thoughts. You leave two spots available - I could envision Roberson being brought back, and if we do bring in a waiver wire player, and waive Washburn as a result, he could end up on the PS too.

Finally, I haven't a clue as to where things stand with Charles Spencer, but I know that Rick Smith specifically brought up the idea of him being back on our practice squad under the right circumstances.
Old 08-31-2008   #75
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 243112 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
No major (or even minor) disagreements, but a couple thoughts. You leave two spots available - I could envision Roberson being brought back, and if we do bring in a waiver wire player, and waive Washburn as a result, he could end up on the PS too.

Finally, I haven't a clue as to where things stand with Charles Spencer, but I know that Rick Smith specifically brought up the idea of him being back on our practice squad under the right circumstances.
I was thinking the same thing. He won't be good to go for awhile, but as opposed to the situation for him with other teams, we know what we have in him and what we don't........and he knows our system.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008   #76
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 274452 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

The bg question regarding Big Nasty is will he (can he?) get back into good enough shape?
If he can trim down a bit, I'd love to have him back.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008   #77
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 51073 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Me too.
Old 08-31-2008   #78
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 243112 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

As predicted as many of us, Darius Walker was signed to the PS.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008   #79
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Texans practice squad as of right now:

Quote:
Signed LB Kevis Coley, WR Darnell Jenkins, DT Gabe Long, DE Jesse Nading, CB Derrick Roberson, WR Mark Simmons and RB Darius Walker to practice squad.
Only surprise, with one spot left available, is the absence of Alex Brink.
Old 08-31-2008   #80
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 294595 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Texans practice squad as of right now:

Only surprise, with one spot left available, is the absence of Alex Brink.

I would be both suprised and rather miffed if they don't have a QB on the practice squad. History shows us we we should.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read