Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Roster Cuts/Moves

Man, that truly sucks. The man was busting his hump to make this team. I wish him well on his recovery and future.

:texflag:

I hope the NFL hands him a big bag of $$. Sucky to see ones career go down the drain in a day :I

Is it possible to write anyone to make a limited number of H. Williams # 86 jerseys and/or T-shirts and for those purchased a portion will be donated to a charity say like National Spinal Cord Injury Association or The Gridiron Greats Fund

Any ideas....I would buy a Jersey and a Shirt

As soon as I saw Cook got arrested I knew Jon would come back

Harry is a definate loss to this team, While cook has his head where the sun don't shine.

Prayers need to be sent Harry's way for a speedy recovery

Hopefully Harry has some other options. Guys that gambled it all on football (and other sports) often don't have much of an alternate skill set.

Is it possible to write anyone to make a limited number of H. Williams # 86 jerseys and/or T-shirts and for those purchased a portion will be donated to a charity say like National Spinal Cord Injury Association or The Gridiron Greats Fund

Any ideas....I would buy a Jersey and a Shirt

As soon as I saw Cook got arrested I knew Jon would come back

That is actually a real good idea! Consider contacting the Texans administration with this idea ? Its one of these feel-good things that they cant refuse.

That is actually a real good idea! Consider contacting the Texans administration with this idea ? Its one of these feel-good things that they cant refuse.

I often peruse the "questions for Nick" thread on the other board and he's apparently in the process of setting something up.

Originally Posted by Xetuoh1836
Besides all of our prayers and thought for Harry, could you or the organization set up a "get well" email spot, either here or the main page, specifically to send our encouragement to this "warrior" and fellow Texan?

Thanks! (And Harry, if you read this, get well soon!)

Originally Posted by nscurfield
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm setting up something now.

NS

http://68.252.159.115/showthread.php?t=7061&page=29

Here's a thread you can post your well wishes. Nick says he's going to print it off and show Harry when he arrives in Houston.

Even if you don't like that board go over and wish Harry well anyways.

http://68.252.159.115/showthread.php?t=7928

Last edited:
I seem to recall that when Frank Bush was a rookie and had some sort of injury that ended his career immediately. The Oilers (Mike Holovak?) gave him a job and he's worked his way up since then.

Maybe RS and Mr. McNair can see fit to find a staff position for Harry if he's coach material.

Well, sorry to hear about Harry, but after seeing that hit I knew he would probably not be playing football anymore. The way he was playing I think he had a good shot of making this team. It's just too bad it had to happen.

One guy's career is over because of injury, and another guy's career maybe over because he chose to throw it away. What can you say about Cook except don't let the door hit you on the way out! Dumb#ss! On the bright side, I love that Abbate is coming back!

While watching sportscenter tonight I saw stories of chad johnson's torn labrum, brady's boot, umenyiora's knee, manning's whatever, merriman's pcl........

But NOTHING about this poor guy's career being over. Kevin Everett(also a special teamer) was all over the place when he got hurt and even on the Espy's.

What's the difference? The Texans not being on the east coast?

The man's career was ended and it just scrolls along the bottom, as if they are saying, "no biggie, but some guys neck got broken and career was ended this weekend...". Makes me sick.

Sorry, I just had to get that out.

From HT.com, nothing new except from Tim Carter and Fenton, and not too suprising at that.

Released FB Jameel Cook and WR Tim Carter.
Waived G Mark Fenton.
Placed WR Harry Williams and OL Scott Jackson on the reserve/injured list.
Placed CB Dunta Robinson on the reserve/PUP list.

http://www.houstontexans.com/team/Transactions.asp

*edit - thanks for merging KT, I looked but didn't find the appropriate thread to put it in.

Last edited:
From HT.com, nothing new except from Tim Carter and Fenton, and not too suprising at that.

Released FB Jameel Cook and WR Tim Carter.
Waived G Mark Fenton.
Placed WR Harry Williams and OL Scott Jackson on the reserve/injured list.
Placed CB Dunta Robinson on the reserve/PUP list.

http://www.houstontexans.com/team/Transactions.asp

*edit - thanks for merging KT, I looked but didn't find the appropriate thread to put it in.

So what does that have our roster number at?

Anymore to go for the first round of cuts?

they're going to be on the fence in a couple key areas, WR/special teams, DL, RB & CB. they stated the obvious making the it to the 75 roster limit but as yet have really cut no one expected to be there opening day. Any significant additions/subtractions will come post Friday. Starting with the game this thursday its going to be an eventful week leading up to the start of the 08 season. :)

Kevin Everett(also a special teamer) was all over the place when he got hurt and even on the Espy's.

The difference is that in the hours immediately following his injury, Everett and his family (and the nation via media reports) were not only told he might never walk again, they were told he might not live. He couldn't breathe without assistance and the situation was so grave that the docs did that semi-controversial cold saline IV to help relieve the pressure on his spinal cord before emergency surgery was performed the next day to realign the dislocation.

Harry's injury was obviously very serious and quite scary, but from what Kubiak said, he regained movement in all extremities by the time the game was over and his situation was never considered life threatening nor was it being treated as an emergency like Everett's situation.

Yes it's a damm shame that it's a career ender (like Killings last year) but at least he - apparently - will regain full function and be able to lead a normal life physically. Hopefully Bob will pay him whatever his full base salary would have been this year to help get him back on his feet so to speak. Maybe Coach Joe can find an opening for a special assistant.

My brother in-law recently had cervical spine surgery at Methodist for a different reason. It included fusion (with metal strips and screws) involving C3 and C4 and a bone graft from his hip into C4. It was two separate surgeries a few days apart - one from the front and one from the back complete with the brain probe and electrical impulse sensors on his extremities during the procedure (they did the one from the back with him in a sitting position leaning forward). It's pretty amazing what these neuro/orthopedic guys can do when working right on top of the spinal cord. And he got some pretty cool x-rays to show family and friends afterward ...

As far as roster cuts, no real surprises yet. There are some interesting decisions coming...

Last edited:
The cuts actually have to be in on Saturday, I think. But Smithiak has said that they're going to decide the cuts on Friday and tell the guys then.

The official deadline for the final Saturday at 3 p.m. central time.

And after the final cutdown, the eight-player practice squad may be established as early as Aug. 31.

Last edited:
What is the thought behind bringing Abbatte back at this time? Seems to me if he was better than others on the team, he would have been brought back before and some one else let go in an even swap. We seem to be deep at linebacker and maybe they want him for FB. If so, does that say anything about Taylor not being the back up at FB? Puzzling move to me.

What is the thought behind bringing Abbatte back at this time? Seems to me if he was better than others on the team, he would have been brought back before and some one else let go in an even swap. We seem to be deep at linebacker and maybe they want him for FB. If so, does that say anything about Taylor not being the back up at FB? Puzzling move to me.

A fill in for Thursdays game maybe? His odds of making the team is slim to none.

I still think it's special teams. Williams excelled at it and there was a spot for him just for that. They had to let Cook go because of his 'issues' and he was around mainly for special teams. I think they brought back Abbate to see if he can still get it done on ST. If he shows he can against the Bucs, I think there's a spot for him.

With Cook and Williams leaving, we needed another body at fullback and we needed someone to play special teams. I think that Abbate fills both of those roles. He's probably not going to make the 53 but he could make the PS.

John Abbate, an undrafted Free Agent last year. He played linebacker at... um... Wake Forest? They converted him to fullback last year and I think he was on the bubble when he got injured. They put him on the IR. They cut him earlier this offseason and then when Cook got busted and cut, they re-signed Abbate to take his place.

There was a pretty touching piece about how he remembers his brother every game by lifting his hand in the air with his fingers spread to represent his brother's jersey number 5.

I hope he makes the team on the strength of his special teams play.

My obvious cuts:

Chris Brown
Alex Brink
Boyd
Abbati (sp?)
Fry
Wynn
Bulman
Jenkins
Eslinger
Simmons
Long
Earl
Barber
Colvin

While watching sportscenter tonight I saw stories of chad johnson's torn labrum, brady's boot, umenyiora's knee, manning's whatever, merriman's pcl........

But NOTHING about this poor guy's career being over. Kevin Everett(also a special teamer) was all over the place when he got hurt and even on the Espy's.

The man's career was ended and it just scrolls along the bottom, as if they are saying, "no biggie, but some guys neck got broken and career was ended this weekend...". Makes me sick.

Sorry, I just had to get that out.

I boycotted the Olympics coverage this time around for a similar reason. The Army and Marines are doing an amazing job in Iraq but nobody wants to tell the world about that. But let someone win a medal and its 2 weeks of non stop coverage.

Mike

We're trying to reserve this thread for the actual cuts (and discussion). There's a thread opened here where you can make your predictions on who stays and goes.

Well they but both Boyd and Brink. there goes my theory they'd keep three active QBs. Well, who ever survives the wavier wire between these two will be on the practice squad then.

Dan "The Beast" Bazuin DE was cut by the Bears. Second round pick last year.

Ryan Moats is also available.

Well they but both Boyd and Brink. there goes my theory they'd keep three active QBs. Well, who ever survives the wavier wire between these two will be on the practice squad then.

I was with you. I thought Boyd would be the 3rd guy and they'd try and sneak Brink onto the P/S.

From HT.com

NAME----------POS.---HT.---WT.---COLLEGE
Jon Abbate......FB.....5-11...245...Wake Forest
Shane Boyd......QB......6-1...232...Kentucky
Alex Brink......QB......6-2...208...Washington St.
Kevis Coley.....LB......6-1...228...Southern Miss.
Rosevelt Colvin DE......6-3...250...Purdue
Glenn Earl.......S......6-1...215...Notre Dame
Greg Eslinger....C......6-3...292...Minnesota
Jamar Fletcher..CB.....5-10...180...Wisconsin
Darnell Jenkins WR.....5-10...188...Miami (Fla.)
Ryan Krause.....TE......6-3...244...Neb. - Omaha
Gabe Long.......DT......6-3...290...Utah
Anthony Maddox..DT......6-1...305...Delta St.
LeRon McCoy.....WR......6-1...219...Indiana (Pa.)
Ben Moffitt.....LB......6-2...245...South Florida
Jesse Nading....DE......6-5...258...Colorado St.
DerrickRoberson CB.....5-10...185...Rutgers
Marcel Shipp....RB.....5-11...224...Massachusetts
Mark Simmons....WR.....5-10...187...Kansas
Torrin Tucker....T......6-6...315...Southern Miss.
Darius Walker...RB.....5-11...205...Notre Dame
Dexter Wynn.....CB......5-9...175...Colorado St.

I boycotted the Olympics coverage this time around for a similar reason. The Army and Marines are doing an amazing job in Iraq but nobody wants to tell the world about that. But let someone win a medal and its 2 weeks of non stop coverage.

Mike
"fighting soldiers from the sky. Brave young men that jump and die." Ballad of the Green Beret.

"We fight for right and honor and to keep our country free." Marine Corps hymn.

Okay, WTF. The Chronicle now says that Tim Bulman was cut... but according to the main site, he's not. I'm guessing the Chronicle is wrong (gasp!), but if it's just a typo I wish they'd fix it.

Okay, WTF. The Chronicle now says that Tim Bulman was cut... but according to the main site, he's not. I'm guessing the Chronicle is wrong (gasp!), but if it's just a typo I wish they'd fix it.

I just checked Manful's article and Bulman's name is not among the cutees

Back