Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 08-25-2008   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 72911 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The curse of the NFC South: Atlanta wins division in 2008

Strange fact about the NFC South: Since its inception in 2002, the team that finished in last place in the division ALWAYS goes on to win the division the following year. Don't believe me? Check it out for yourself.

Im a little nervous saying this, but trends are trends. I know that they are rebuilding. But stranger things have happened. The Atlanta Falcons were last in the division last year, meaning they have to win it this year. Just thought I'd share that with you
Old 08-25-2008   #2
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The curse of the NFC South: Atlanta wins division in 2008

I've always thought this was really interesting. Too bad the AFC South hasn't been like that!

I say this every year but I can't see that 'curse' staying a live this season. I kinda hope it continues though, it's pretty cool. Might go ahead and predict Matt Ryan wins O.R.O.Y.?
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #3
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 72911 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Its weird because after the Saints 06 season, everyone was sure there was no way any team, least of all Tampa Bay, could win the NFC South. Then they broke out 11 wins and NO was stuck at 7. Weird division for sure
Old 08-25-2008   #4
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Strange fact about the NFC South: Since its inception in 2002, the team that finished in last place in the division ALWAYS goes on to win the division the following year. Don't believe me? Check it out for yourself.
And before last year, the first place team always finish in last the next year. The Saints broke that curse last year, thus breaking the curse all together this year? Who's know. One thing I know is that sooner or later someone is going to break the cycle. The Heisman curse for example, had a history of NFL busts, until Palmer came into the league. Now the cycle restarts with Leinhart, Bush, etc.

With all that said, I think Matt Ryan is going to be the next biggest thing in the NFL, and he'll led them to the playoffs this year against a inconsistent NFC South.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #5
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104914 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
And before last year, the first place team always finish in last the next year. The Saints broke that curse last year, thus breaking the curse all together this year? Who's know. One thing I know is that sooner or later someone is going to break the cycle. The Heisman curse for example, had a history of NFL busts, until Palmer came into the league. Now the cycle restarts with Leinhart, Bush, etc.

With all that said, I think Matt Ryan is going to be the next biggest thing in the NFL, and he'll led them to the playoffs this year against a inconsistent NFC South.
I don't see the Falcons getting past Carolina. I think Peppers is gonna bounce back & carry the defense & their RB duo is starting to look scary. On top of that, they get Delhomme back, who had 8 TDs in three games before he got injured last year.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #6
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 320620 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post

That's not true. If that was true, it would just be the same two teams swapping positions every year.

Here's the reality:

Tampa Bay - 12-4
Atlanta - 9-6-1
Saints - 9-7
Panthers - 7-9

Panthers - 11-5
Saints - 8-8
Buccs - 7-9
Falcons - 5-11

Falcons - 11-5
Saints - 8-8
Panthers - 7-9
Buccs - 5-11

Buccs - 11-5
Panthers - 11-5
Falcons - 8-8
Saints - 3-13

Saints - 10-6
Panthers - 8-8
Falcons - 7-9
Buccs - 4-12

Buccs - 9-7
Panthers - 7-9
Saints - 7-9
Falcons - 4-12
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #7
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
That's not true. If that was true, it would just be the same two teams swapping positions every year.
Whoops, proved me wrong. Could've sworn they said that last year on one of the pre-game show. I should have done some research before posting that. Still every cycle must come to an end at one point.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-26-2008   #8
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it could be better stated that the NFC South is very inconsistent in strength of teams from season to season. At least compared to our division.
Silver Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008   #9
Koolaid Time
Drink Up!

Rep Power: 1346 Koolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respected

Take into account that the Falcon's offensive line ranks right up there with the Texans circa 2002.

Ryan better be tough, because the kid WILL take some hits..
Koolaid Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008   #10
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 21910 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

hard to imagine atlanta doing anything other than sucking
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008   #11
gtexan02
Working?

2-1, currently in 1st. Weird
Old 09-24-2008   #12
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Might go ahead and predict Matt Ryan wins O.R.O.Y.?
no way. he's played average against two miserable defenses, and unbelievably horrendous against the Bucs. looks like every other rookie QB right now
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008   #13
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 23832 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Matt Ryan's job is easy right now the way The Burner is running.
Old 10-07-2008   #14
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Still a possibility but their defense is going to have to step up. I'm so glad I have Michael Turner on my fantasy team.
Old 10-14-2008   #15
gtexan02
Working?

You may call me "Gtexan02 Seer of the NFL"
Old 11-12-2008   #16
gtexan02
Working?

dee-doo-dee-doo dee-doo-dee-doo

Freaky

Carolina Panthers 7 2
Atlanta Falcons 6 3
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 6 3
New Orleans Saints 4 5

Getting closer
Old 11-12-2008   #17
gtexan02
Working?

Quote:
I've always thought this was really interesting. Too bad the AFC South hasn't been like that!

I say this every year but I can't see that 'curse' staying a live this season. I kinda hope it continues though, it's pretty cool. Might go ahead and predict Matt Ryan wins O.R.O.Y.?
I think Ryans got a great shot
Old 11-12-2008   #18
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Him or Chris Johnson from the Titans.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #19
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Im a little nervous saying this, but trends are trends. I know that they are rebuilding. But stranger things have happened. The Atlanta Falcons were last in the division last year, meaning they have to win it this year. Just thought I'd share that with you
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02
Way to go gtexan. Even though Atlanta didn't win the division you could still say "since it's inception, the last place team in the division made the playoffs the following year."

Matty Ice with the OROY
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9...honor?MSNHPHMA
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Old 12-30-2008   #20
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

pretty damn good division. too bad Miami has to face them next year. and the AFC South, too. in fact (to go completely off-topic), next year's Dolphins schedule is the hardest the NFL has seen since 1999. great. just great.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read