Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 08-25-2008   #1
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Jonathan Stewart

Quote:
CAROLINA'S DYNAMIC DUO

Such balletic balance as was displayed Saturday night extended to the top two runners themselves.

There was a clear delineation between the workloads of Williams and Stewart on Saturday night. Williams handled one possession; Stewart the next. With the exception of the a six-play series to start the second half when Williams handled the first three plays and Stewart took the three that followed they simply took turns by drives.

Both ran inside. Both ran outside. Both plowed into the middle in short yardage. Both ran away from defenders in the open field. Both averaged over 10 yards per carry. And both burst through the Redskins and into the open field for runs that covered more than half the field.

"We had holes, but what you saw was the explosiveness of both backs," Delhomme said.

Williams started the game, but it was Stewart who found the end zone first, with 5:33 left in the second quarter and the Panthers in first-and-10 at midfield with a 13-0 lead.

When Stewart ran around some blocks from Jeff Otah and Dwayne Jarrett and turned up the left sideline, there was only one thing on his mind:

"Run as fast as I can," he said.

That proved to be blindingly fast, almost as though he went from second to fifth gear without hitting the clutch or shifting into third and fourth. Stewart, however, begged to differ.

"This is my second gear or third gear, whatever you want to call it," he said. "I didn't stiff-arm anybody or whether it was just a reaction, I don't know. All I know was I was running."

The rookie's burst was so quick that he was in the end zone before many in attendance realized what had happened. Those whod seen him every day, however, knew that such a burst was not only possible, but inevitable.

"I knew he had that in him," said offensive tackle Jordan Gross, "and it was good for fans to get to see that explosive step, hitting the holes and breaking out into the open field, getting past the secondary."

"Weve been seeing it all throughout training camp and this preseason, and he was able to let it go tonight," running back Nick Goings said. "It was nice."

Even nicer was what happened two minutes and 54 seconds later, after the defense forced a second consecutive Washington three-and-out, when Williams took the handoff from Delhomme, made a slight cut to the right into the open field, veered to the left and zipped through and around potential tacklers for a 60-yard touchdown.

"DeAngelo kind of tried to one-up him on the next run where he did the same thing," Gross said, "so it was just fun to be a part of."

For both runners, the equation was simple.

"All we pretty much had to do was run," Williams said. "We didnt have to make many cuts; it was one cut and hit it and just put it down in there."

"Its awesome," Nick Goings said. "DeAngelo and Stew back there, its an excellent one-two punch. They really got it going tonight, and its something that will be big for us through the season."
http://www.panthers.com/Gameday/Default.aspx?id=31484#

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #2
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jonathan Stewart

JStew is the back that I really liked in the draft. With those two running the ball, defenses are going to be tired and beat up by the 4th quarter. I look for the Panthers to be tough out with a real ground game to control the game.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #3
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

thats gonna be a great one-two punch.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #4
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I seem to remember going around & around about gears from RB's that Stewart was thought to not have that 2nd/3rd gear (tulexan). ironic then its brought up again, in the NFL (granted its preseason)
Quote:
almost as though he went from second to fifth gear without hitting the clutch or shifting into third and fourth.
maybe he doesn't have a different gear at all its all just fast.............. I imagined it would have been a nice addition for the Texans if he had made it that far (not complaining about Duane Brown) for the ZBS hit the hole with a combination of speed & power

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #5
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
JStew is the back that I really liked in the draft. With those two running the ball, defenses are going to be tired and beat up by the 4th quarter. I look for the Panthers to be tough out with a real ground game to control the game.
Can't load the box too much either or Steve Smith will break one. Would be a real potent offense if they can get someone to step up opposite of Smith.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #6
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Rep Power: 160 WesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

i saw this post and went to watch the carolina vs washington highlights....WOW, they are insane!

Thanks Texan Rocky and Brando for the Avatar and Sig!
WesmanTexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read