Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-25-2008   #1
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 31996 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Some positive pub for our boys

I like the part about being lethal.
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8...l-dark-horses-
Old 08-25-2008   #2
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Some positive pub for our boys

Kinda makes you wonder if he watched Fridays game.

I like the optimism though.
Old 08-25-2008   #3
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

"The defensive line is loaded with first-round talent, and though the secondary is one of the league's shakiest without Dunta Robinson, the defense should be OK."
I dunno, the Fox guy probably didn't see the Friday night game ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #4
Polo

Or....

Maybe he's just not judging the team by one pre-season game ?
Old 08-25-2008   #5
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Kinda makes you wonder if he watched Fridays game.

I like the optimism though.

Like you, I was frustrated with the game on Friday. Having said that, it sure is encouraging that our team can go on the road against one of the three most talented teams in the NFL and basically play to a stalemate yet we are upset and concerned about the result.

We have outplayed to competition at every level of each preseason game with the exception of our one's versus Dallas' ones... and that should be expected, right?

Besides, watch teams like Tennessee, Jacksonville, Indy, New England this preseason- They look awful!
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #6
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 311031 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the Jags will be back in the playoffs this year, along with someone else besides the Texans. But I'd really love it to be proven wrong with that.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #7
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 27214 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
Or....

get outta here. too logical.
Old 08-25-2008   #8
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I think the Jags will be back in the playoffs this year, along with someone else besides the Texans. But I'd really love it to be proven wrong with that.
We could up being like last years Browns team. 10-6 and sitting at the house. Even if we end up leap frogging the ICOU, it doesn't mean we make the playoffs. There are a few other teams in the AFC that have as good as or better shot at the fourth playoff spot as we. do. but like you said, I'd love to be proven wrong.

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #9
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Like you, I was frustrated with the game on Friday. Having said that, it sure is encouraging that our team can go on the road against one of the three most talented teams in the NFL and basically play to a stalemate yet we are upset and concerned about the result.

We have outplayed to competition at every level of each preseason game with the exception of our one's versus Dallas' ones... and that should be expected, right?

Besides, watch teams like Tennessee, Jacksonville, Indy, New England this preseason- They look awful!
I understand where you're coming from. The primary reason I'm presently being a pessimist is we've seen the same "vanilla" type defense for the past couple preseasons carry over to the regular season. It's frustrating to see a team basically do whatever they want against our defense. Eh, I'll get over it.

FWIW, even though I thought some of y'all were a little harsh on Studdard, he was very inconsistant Friday. Both of our guards played like crap. Brisiel was blown up on multiple occasions. Studdard would make a good play and turn around to get blown up the next. Sooo....I guess I was partially wrong.

My appreciation for Pitts has now reached an all time high. Brisiel is starting to worry me.
Old 08-25-2008   #10
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Houston plays four playoff teams from '07 in its first five games. If the Texans can win two of those 5 games and come out 3-3 in the AFC South this season (possible!), they're your sleeper team of '08. Pencil them in for the playoffs ..
That's about it in a nutshell.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #11
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
Or....

The thing for me wasnt that they lost a meaningless game but how the Cowpies controlled the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #12
Revolution
All Pro

Rep Power: 305 Revolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post

That's the way we have to look at this right now! Gotta stay positive and hopefully, the regular season will give us what we all want, a playoff game!!

It is the 6 years of frustration that has people pushing the panic button so quickly. I understand it as I keep having to remind myself, it is only preseason. I do want to see the defense play much better to start the season...no waiting until the 13th week!
Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #13
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Sheesh we did poorly in 1 game. Last year the Vikings torched the Chargers for like 400 rushing yards. And the chargers are good
Old 08-25-2008   #14
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21314 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

i'm not panicking but i'm not placing any more $100 bets on us winning. i won't even go so far as to say i'm concerned. i'm still hopeful and expecting to look impressive but cautious to say the least.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #15
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Sheesh we did poorly in 1 game. Last year the Vikings torched the Chargers for like 400 rushing yards. And the chargers are good
Yep , Its just one meaningless preseason game .... But I see a trend thus far that is troubling to me .... Zero sacks by the first team defense in three preseason games .... and not many times in those three games have they even made a guy hurry a throw.

With the secondary on this team the front four / seven has to get some heat on the QB , aint no if's and's nore but's about it .... Otherwise we are in for a long season.

Is it the scheme ? is it the talent level ?

After Denver I would have said it was the scheme .

N.O. gave up a total of 16 sacks over the entirety of last season , gave'm a pass on that one .

But against Dallas they just looked to be out classed up front. Dallas did what they wanted when they wanted and if not for three turnovers and 13 points by the Texans on those turnovers this woulda been a laugher.

It might only be preseason but the trend is easy to spot .

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #16
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

You never know. The best thing for our defense would be if the offense this year is very good and gets up on teams and makes them play from behind.

Yeah, the AFC South was good last year, but these are possibilities:

Colts: Injuries finally catch up with them?
Titans: Defense can't carry the team any more?
Jags: Shortish Garrard is a one hit wonder throwing to crap receivers and the run stopping misses Stroud?
Texans: Juggernaut offense and the defense finally figuring it out?

I'm not betting the farm on this, but it could happen.

There's so many bad offenses out there with developmental offenses/QBs. The Texans offense looks better than a lot of them.
Old 08-25-2008   #17
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
You never know. The best thing for our defense would be if the offense this year is very good and gets up on teams and makes them play from behind.

Yeah, the AFC South was good last year, but these are possibilities:

Colts: Injuries finally catch up with them?
Titans: Defense can't carry the team any more?
Jags: Shortish Garrard is a one hit wonder throwing to crap receivers and the run stopping misses Stroud?
Texans: Juggernaut offense and the defense finally figuring it out?

I'm not betting the farm on this, but it could happen.

There's so many bad offenses out there with developmental offenses/QBs. The Texans offense looks better than a lot of them.

Regardless of pre-season performance, I think it's very realistic to expect the defense to be considerably better than last year. After all, mario turned it on about 1/2 way through and the returning plays and still very young and we added talent without losing any.

On offense, it looks like we are going to be dramatically better. Again, our younger plays developing chemistry and learning the league and the added talent (including Gibbs). Look at how much our running game has improved in 3 weeks.

So, I would've certainly preferred to see our DL tearing it up in the pre-season, but I don't think we're doomed to end with only 20 sacks this year.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #18
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I would rather see what i did on friday so we can address it. I am sleeping on this.
Old 09-02-2008   #19
huckdabuck
Rookie

Default Real Dark Horses

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8...PHCP&GT1=39002

Quote:
Your official 2008 sleeper pick
Houston Texans: Ah, the process of elimination! In their six years as an NFL franchise, the Texans have yet to qualify for the NFL playoffs. The 2008 version is their most talented squad yet and if healthy, should be downright lethal. The defensive line is loaded with first-round talent, and though the secondary is one of the league's shakiest without Dunta Robinson, the defense should be OK. The offense, and especially the running game with Alex Gibbs on staff, will be one of the league's most exciting. Houston plays four playoff teams from '07 in its first five games. If the Texans can win two of those 5 games and come out 3-3 in the AFC South this season (possible!), they're your sleeper team of '08. Pencil them in for the playoffs ... and then forget I ever mentioned it.
Hopefully!!!
huckdabuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008   #20
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 31996 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Real Dark Horses

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52904

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read