Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-25-2008   #1
RasTaofarI
Rookie

Default Coveted Castoffs

which players likely to be cut (40-60%) from other teams would you like to see the texans bring in?

Alex Smith?
TJ Duckett?

i like what i've seen from amendola and austin (WRs) on hard knocks
RasTaofarI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #2
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Coveted Castoffs

Austin isn't going anywhere JJ likes him too much and I don't think we need Amendola with the emergence of Anderson
LonerATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #3
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

for me, basically any CB with some skills who gets caught in a numbers game on their former team.
Silver Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #4
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171454 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Someone , Anyone to replace Richard Smith .....

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #5
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

There's a guy named Daniel Polk who plays for the Cowboys. Was an UFA this year out of Midwestern State (my school). He was a killer D-II QB trying to convert to WR. While we're heavy at that position, his work ethic is outstanding and he's an awesome guy. I would love to see him here.
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #6
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post
for me, basically any CB with some skills who gets caught in a numbers game on their former team.
Right. Also, the Texans should look at some vet DEs who might be cut loose. A fullback who can catch. A backup guard with ZBS experience. A punt returner. There's still room for improvement on this team.
Old 08-25-2008   #7
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 395 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected

I saw that Josh Gattis was released by the Packers. I don't know if he's a keeper but he might be worth bringing in for a look.
Old 08-25-2008   #8
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21460 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Let's take a look at DeShawn Wynn (RB). He's got good size & speed. Anyone know what style of play he's best suited for?

The Texan Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #9
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 47328 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post
It's going to be pretty tough for someone like that to fall to us on the waiver wire- especially if you're suggesting they would be a noticable upgrade over some of Fletcher (who's looked great), Reeves, Molden, Faggins, Roberson... I mean, quality CBs just aren't released. I think we have excellent depth at CB this year. However, until Dunta returns, our starting lineup is a little weak and NO waiver acquisition is going to fix that.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #10
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RasTaofarI View Post

i like what i've seen from amendola and austin (WRs) on hard knocks
I think the Cowboys traded something to get Amendola (Or maybe I'm thinking of a different player with a wierd last name that begins with A), and I believe Austin is hurt until midway through the season.

I'm hoping the Giants can't keep all of Brandon Jacobs, Derrick Ward, and Ahmad Bradshaw. Any one of those guys would do fine.
Old 08-25-2008   #11
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

from rotoworld.com:

"Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren acknowledged Wednesday (aug 20th) that T.J. Duckett is in danger of not making the 53-man roster.
Duckett's two-fumble performance in the exhibition opener could spell his end in Seattle. The Seahawks could go with rookie Justin Forsett over him."

He's gotta be top on the list. He ran for 46 yards on 6 attempts in today's game.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #12
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
He's gotta be top on the list. He ran for 46 yards on 6 attempts in today's game.
Plus he was with the Falcons while Gibbs was there. I'd take him over Ahman Green and Chris Brown.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008   #13
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

DeShawn Wynn has to be a better option than Marcel Shipp.

Cameron Stephenson looks like the kind of player that Gibbs is famous for coaching up. Old scouting report = Strengths: Pretty good athlete...Mobile with decent range...Adequate bulk...Holds his water at the point...Versatile and could play multiple positions...Extremely tough...Hard worker...Is effective as both a run and pass blocker...Still has a load of potential. Weaknesses: Size is just average outside...Real raw...Has never been allowed to master one position...Will need a lot of coaching from
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008   #14
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Someone asked if we would trade for Rudi Johnson from Cincy. First of all, I wouldn't trade a WR because that is our position of strength right now. Second, I would wait til they have to cut him and get him for nothing.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008   #15
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 47328 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Someone asked if we would trade for Rudi Johnson from Cincy. First of all, I wouldn't trade a WR because that is our position of strength right now. Second, I would wait til they have to cut him and get him for nothing.
If a team wants Rudi, the thing to do is trade a 6th for him. That way you aren't bidding against other teams. He's yours. Also, we are 18th in priority on waivers, so 17 teams can claim him before we can.
Old 08-26-2008   #16
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 7744 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

In order of priority:

OLB
DE
CB
DT
OG
RB
S

maddogmrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008   #17
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 98407 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
I don't think Cincy will cut him. From what NFLN said last night, they're just throwing Rudy's name out there to see if they can get a "legitimate WR" for him. I guess since CJ has a partially torn labrum they're looking for help.
Old 08-26-2008   #18
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogmrb View Post
In order of priority:

OLB
DE
CB
DT
OG
RB
S

Boy, I disagree with that list:

OLB- we have Diles, Adibi, CThompson, Bentley, Greenwood... I don't see an improvement over that group becoming available. I really believe that CThompson will be a playmaker for us. And, while I'm not in love with Greenwood, he can hold down the fort for Adibi, until next year when he's added 10 lbs to his frame

DE- I think a rotation of Kalu, Cochran, CThompson and/or Colvin will be fairly effective.

CB- We have excellent depth this year. My guess is that Fletcher will win the starting job over Reeves for week one unless something changes quickly. Then, we still have Molden, Dunta coming back, a very promising Roberson, and Petey Faggins (who has had a good preseason and is solid in man coverage)

DT- This is something we might find. A big space-eater that can play on running downs. I'm hoping for this!

OG- another possibility with the loss of depth because of the Spencer cut, Weary injury, and crappiness of Studdard.

RB- perhaps someone of interest will allow the team to release CBrown and AGreen, since both are totally unreliable.

S- We've already got good depth and difficult cuts to make. I don't see how an improvement will be found on the waiver wire.

The issue isn't the backend of the team, it's some starting positions. These waiver pickups improve depth. Unless your team stinks you will rarely find a starter quality player available- particularly since we are 18th in waiver priority.
Old 08-26-2008   #19
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post

...The issue isn't the backend of the team, it's some starting positions. These waiver pickups improve depth. Unless your team stinks you will rarely find a starter quality player available- particularly since we are 18th in waiver priority.
That's really the case here. The only way we're going to improve a starting position through cuts here is if somebody makes a big mistake and there are a bunch of teams lined up in front of us waiting for that same mistake.

It's just terribly unlikely that anyone gets cut who will bail us out at any of our weaker spots. We just need to see what our coaches can make out of the players we have. It's going to be a long season watching the defense this year.
Old 08-26-2008   #20
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
That's really the case here. The only way we're going to improve a starting position through cuts here is if somebody makes a big mistake and there are a bunch of teams lined up in front of us waiting for that same mistake.

It's just terribly unlikely that anyone gets cut who will bail us out at any of our weaker spots. We just need to see what our coaches can make out of the players we have. It's going to be a long season watching the defense this year.

I'm a little more hopeful than you are. I'm very encouraged by Fletcher's performance at CB, which we missed vs. the Cowboys. I think Bennett looks great. Dunta will be back. Molden should continue to improve. .. So, I'm feeling pretty good about this group actually.

I'm worried about the cuts at Safety. I feel like BHarrison really needs to be on this team. He is the only hope we have at a really good cover safety. That's something I'm really wanting to see- his name on the final roster.

Also, as we get into the season, I think we'll see plays from Adibi and CThompson, along with Diles and Demeco.

I even feel good about the other DE- between Kalu, Cochran, COlvin, and Thompson.

My real concern is DT. Okoye needs to get better and we need a run stuffer or Okam to get better in a hurry. All that being said, I think there will be games when the defense looks great. I think we have enough guys to make plays every game and winning the turnover battle, regardless of the yards we give up will make this team a winner- I'm expecting the offense to put up some impressive numbers this season.

But yeah, there will be times when I'm going to be very frustrated.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read