Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-25-2008   #41
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Steve Slaton.. What are you expecting??

Who became the RB judge and says a 200 pound man cannot do what a 240 pound man can do.

If you saw the way Steve followed the zone in his blocking scheme it was awesome to watch. If he can hit the holes in our scheme then I would believe the job is his.
We have always had a back that is too slow or cannot hit the hole correctly.

I for one am excited about having an offense that works 80% of the time as opposed to not working at all. That being said I see 1200 yards and 15 touchdowns looking real good to me right now.
Old 08-25-2008   #42
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Word is from both the Chron and local TV news last night that Slaton is
experiencing problems with "turf toe". I dunno, but I'm thinking this type
of injury can become a serious problem ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #43
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 122497 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Isn't that why Dayne got cut and ended up with us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #44
eric138
Veteran

Rep Power: 985 eric138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respected

didn't Mario have turf toe his rookie season?
eric138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #45
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Texan View Post
Who became the RB judge and says a 200 pound man cannot do what a 240 pound man can do.

If you saw the way Steve followed the zone in his blocking scheme it was awesome to watch. If he can hit the holes in our scheme then I would believe the job is his.
We have always had a back that is too slow or cannot hit the hole correctly.

I for one am excited about having an offense that works 80% of the time as opposed to not working at all. That being said I see 1200 yards and 15 touchdowns looking real good to me right now.
When the vast majority of those 240lb men end there career after just three years, you have to be concerned for the safety of smaller guys. At least I am.

That said, despite what the numbers say, I've never seen him look as small as Warrick Dunn, or Dante Hall. I'd like to get another reading on his height & weight.
Old 08-25-2008   #46
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Mario Williams had Lis Franc, not turf toe. But turf toe is a serious condition as well.

As for Slaton, I think playing in the ZBS in college really helped him out. He knows how to hit the holes better than any other RB on our team. When I think theres nothing to be gained, Taylor and Walker pick up 1 or 2, and Slaton gets 4 or 6.

If he could play in 75% of our games, get at least 15 carries per game, and average at least 4 ypc, I'd be happy. That'd put him at 12 games played, 15 carries each game, 60 yards per game (720 total). He's a rookie, so Im not ready to run him into the ground
Old 08-25-2008   #47
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Re: Steve Slaton.. What are you expecting??
For him to make the team. We've got 2 Puh C's in front of him. Unless both of them go down (again!), Slaton will not get many carries a game.

Between our shitty defense and a couple panzy-asses (Brown & Green) for RB's, my optimism is at a low level at this time. It's a wait and see approach for me.

Old 08-25-2008   #48
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Mario Williams had Lis Franc, not turf toe. But turf toe is a serious condition as well.
Mario had plantar faciitis. Glenn Earl had Lis Franc.

Also Mario did not have turf toe, but did have his toenails removed. [/ouch]

Last edited by Señor Stan; 08-25-2008 at 09:15 AM.
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #49
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Perhaps you should carry a football everywhere... that might help your fumbling issues

and sleep with it.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #50
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Remember Gary Walker, former DE in our 3-4 when Capers was here ?
I'm thinking turf toe screwed him up pretty bad one year ? I think he battled
it on and off that whole year.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #51
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post

I hope it's minor. Turf toe can hamper a player so I'm concerned with this injury. It usually takes about 3 weeks to heal, if you stay off of it.

Bad news.....

Old 08-25-2008   #52
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando View Post
I hope it's minor. Turf toe can hamper a player so I'm concerned with this injury. It usually takes about 3 weeks to heal, if you stay off of it.

Bad news.....
ditto

does not bode well for his rookie campaign, he should miss at least the first two games to rest his turf toe-depending on severity. then I would expect him to gain limited action in those 3rd down conversion situations & see how it holds up. so if the Texans are lucky, coming off the bye week he is 100%.

first 7 weeks (Steelers, Ravens, Titans, Jags, Colts, Fish, Lions) under 200.

last 9 weeks (Vikings, Bengals, Colts, Browns, Jags, Packers, Titans, Raiders, Bears) over 700.

1000 yds, is in the realm of possibility depending how Steve's turf toe reponds

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #53
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 396 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected

I like what Slaton did, but I also like what Taylor did. They ended up about even, and Slaton broke a 20 yarder. I'd give the edge to Slaton right now, but Taylor's not far behind.

It's also nice to see the blocking shaping up.
Old 08-25-2008   #54
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Mario had a bad toe and plantar fasciitis his first season. Glenn Earl had Lis Franc last year.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #55
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

How do you get and what exactly is Turf Toe,

Sounds like a made up injury, they never had that when I was younger
Old 08-25-2008   #56
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

IIRC, it's like tendonitis of the toe. Kinda like the name "tennis elbow".

Very painful, but a good'ole shot of cortisone should fix'em up come game time.
Old 08-25-2008   #57
Brando
Site Contributor

Quote:

Quote:
Turf toe can occur after a very vigorous upward bending of the big toe. It got it's name due to the fact that it occurs frequently in people who play games on artificial surfaces. The shoe grips hard on the surface and sticks causing bodyweight to go forward and so bending the toe up. It is also common in martial arts. You are more at risk if you have increased range of motion in the ankle and / or wear soft flexible shoes.

Quote:
When the toe is bent upwards this causes damage to the ligaments which can become stretched. In addition the surfaces of the bones at the joint can become damaged. You should really have an X-ray to check if a bone has not been broken.

Recovery of this injury can take three to four weeks depending on how bad the sprain is.
LINK

Old 08-25-2008   #58
JWarren14
Beer Me

Section: 516 Row B
Rep Power: 844 JWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to JWarren14

Quote:

http://espn.go.com/trainingroom/s/1999/0901/13907.html

"Turf toe is really a bruise that occurs at the base of the big toe at the joint called the metatarsal phalangeal joint. It usually occurs when the toe is jammed forcibly into the ground or, more commonly, when the toe is bent backward too far and it goes beyond where it should go. It causes significant pain and swelling at the base of the big toe. It can be a significant problem because players use the toe when they run and plant and push off. It can be so painful that they can't play at all."
Old 08-25-2008   #59
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

www.fakemedicalinjurydefinitions.com

"Turf toe occurs when a player with a large contract decides he no longer wants to risk injuring his body by playing a sport. The condition was first identified in the year guaranteed money contracts entered the NFL, and has become more and more prominent every season. Players usually presents with a green big toe, with or without artificial grass attached to it. This is usually created with green sharpie and glue. The condition generally lingers throughout their career, and becomes especially painful immediately proceeding games against defenses with a reputation for being "tough" or immediately after signing new contracts."

Seriously though, I think it comes from hyperflexion of the big toe joint. It can be pretty painful, and it comes from wearing shoes that provide greater mobility at a higher risk.
Old 08-25-2008   #60
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

eh, I don't think it's very serious at all......I think he has a minor turf toe injury and the coaches are just now going to be cautious with him and let him rest the last preseason game....seeing how he has been the lone bright spot in the backfield so far this preseason.

I think they've already seen what they needed to see from Slaton and without a healthy Green or Brown (both who happen to be different colors of sh*t) I don't think they want to risk losing Slaton by further aggravating a minor injury. Missing the next preseason game will give Slaton almost 2 1/2 weeks to heal before the season opener.

- Edmund Burke

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 08-25-2008 at 02:20 PM.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read