Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-24-2008   #21
Bull Pen 1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1621 Bull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Steve Slaton.. What are you expecting??

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfuldragon View Post
AFAIK, slaton was benched for fumbling at WV. so i'm going on that.

also, beyond domanick davis's season or two, the texans running game has never given me reason to be optimistic.

Everyone has there right to their own opinion and that is yours. My as an individual is to think positive. If you don't believe you can do it, in your mind whatever it is you will fail. That is why I chose to be/think positive.

Nothing personal
Bull Pen 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008   #22
LondonTexan
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 LondonTexan was voted MVPLondonTexan was voted MVPLondonTexan was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Slaton, if he gets the lions share of the touches is going to be a 1300 yard back.
How ? Slaton is a back that is never going to be a gut runner and to get a 1000 yard in the NFL you need to be able to do that. Why are we looking at Slaton as being this 1000 yard a season guy , he is never going to be that. We are not looking at an AP here we are looking at a player that has limited abilities.
LondonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008   #23
KEYE SUX
Veteran

Rep Power: 9 KEYE SUX was voted MVPKEYE SUX was voted MVPKEYE SUX was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonTexan View Post
How ? Slaton is a back that is never going to be a gut runner and to get a 1000 yard in the NFL you need to be able to do that. Why are we looking at Slaton as being this 1000 yard a season guy , he is never going to be that. We are not looking at an AP here we are looking at a player that has limited abilities.

It takes 62.5 yds/gm to reach 1000 for the season. I think Slaton has the ability to pull it off
KEYE SUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008   #24
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
How? By playing in this offense a back like Slaton, barring injury and as the primary runner can perform at a much higher level than one would expect based on his size, speed, and power. Watching the man run the last couple of weeks I have come to conclude that Slaton moreso than any of the other "non paper mache" backs understands how to leverage this offense and make the most of it. He's sliding down the line, making decisive cuts, and showing more power than he has been credited with at the end of his runs.

In any other offense I don't know if I would be so generous with my prediction but here, once Gibbs gets everyone on the line and in the backfield on the same page he can look special. He may not "be" special but he is exactly the kind of running back who can look special.
Old 08-24-2008   #25
Bull Pen 1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1621 Bull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Oh, I understand just a cheaper Reggie Bush.
Bull Pen 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008   #26
LondonTexan
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 LondonTexan was voted MVPLondonTexan was voted MVPLondonTexan was voted MVP

Right lets look at all pre season and say that DeSean Jackson will have a 1000 yard 10+ TD season , Matt Ryan will throw for 4000+ yards. Its pre season , lets remember that. Talking to my Patriots mate the other day it was spoke on Patriots radio how they are using about 30 plays on offense and only about 25 on defence this pre season games to get players used to things , despite their 100 + on each unit come regular season. Lets see him in a regular season game before we decide he has all the moves.
Old 08-24-2008   #27
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 106448 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

For the first time, I'm expecting excitment from our RB position. Lightning in a bottle comes to mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-24-2008   #28
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

1000 yards as a back.

London, your entitled to your opinion but your dead wrong on this one.

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008   #29
BattleRedRaider
All Pro

Rep Power: 19 BattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame Ballot
Send a message via AIM to BattleRedRaider Send a message via MSN to BattleRedRaider Send a message via Yahoo to BattleRedRaider

What am I expecting?

Steve Slaton breaks the rookie rushing yards record, gets ROTY honors, and makes a Madden commercial of "I want to thank the New Orleans Saints for passing me up".
Old 08-24-2008   #30
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Slaton has impressed me with his ability to run up the middle instead of bouncing everything outside like Bush does. He is quick and decisive and runs with some power for his size. I'm going with a 1200 to 1500 yard season for Slaton with10 to 12 td's. Taylor has looked pretty solid although not as flashy as Slaton but solid. One two punch baby!

I'm extremely worried about the defense. Secondary sucks and so does 2 out of 4 dl. And safety has been bad on this team for the Texans entire existance. All this doesn't look good when playing a team like the Colts twice.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008   #31
LondonTexan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtbound07 View Post
1000 yards as a back.

London, your entitled to your opinion but your dead wrong on this one.
And i hope i am.
Old 08-24-2008   #32
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

I have a feeling he'll get close to 1,200 yards on a YPC over 4.5, along with 8 TDs. A poor's man Clinton Portis. Well, actually, those numbers would probably be better then what Clinton will produce this season. But a poor's man Denver's Clinton Portis.

That would be good enough for ROY, but I think Matt Ryans will take that honor, as he takes a bottom three team and lead them into the playoffs along with the division title.

Slaton might get voted into the pro-bowl, as he gain momentum and start producing more as we get deeper into the season and make our playoff push. We'll get more publicity later in the year, and Slaton will be one of the spotlight on this team.

By the end of the year he'll, no doubt, be consider as a top 3 RBs from the 2008 draft. But, that's only if he play and produce like alot of us think he can.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008   #33
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

better than reggie bush

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008   #34
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
Slaton has impressed me with his ability to run up the middle instead of bouncing everything outside like Bush does. He is quick and decisive and runs with some power for his size. I'm going with a 1200 to 1500 yard season for Slaton with10 to 12 td's. Taylor has looked pretty solid although not as flashy as Slaton but solid. One two punch baby!

I'm extremely worried about the defense. Secondary sucks and so does 2 out of 4 dl. And safety has been bad on this team for the Texans entire existance. All this doesn't look good when playing a team like the Colts twice.

So many things in football that can be wrong have a remedy in the form of some other aspect of the game. If you have an average to poor secondary it looks better if you have a fierce pass rush for example. One way to help compensate for a porous defense is to keep them off the field as long as you can by grinding out long, time consuming drives on the ground. Those same kinds of drives early in games help an offense score quickly later by keeping the defense tired and gasping for breath.

Running the ball will save our butts this year if we can manage it. We know our passing offense works. We've seen it work with both Schaub and Rosenfels running it. We know we can score quickly and from long range with that and Kris Brown. It all comes down to running the ball though. If we can't do that we're screwed.
Old 08-25-2008   #35
RasTaofarI
Rookie

1500 combined yards, 5-8 TDs
rushing + receiving + returns
RasTaofarI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #36
RasTaofarI
Rookie

and finishing the season on the field would be really great
RasTaofarI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #37
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 173167 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfuldragon View Post
6 fumbles.
Perhaps you should carry a football everywhere... that might help your fumbling issues
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #38
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
.... but I think right now that Chris Brown won't make the team and that Ahman Green won't be playing by week 6. Slaton and Taylor are our real backs right now and the first one of them to "get it" and start producing every down is going to be "the next big thing" around here.
I keep seeing this, or something similar on this board. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Are we saying he won't make the team because of health issues?? Or that he's just not that good??

I think hands down, he is the most talented person on our roster. He's got good speed, good size, good vision, and he's a threat to take it to the house.

IMHO, if I'm going to keep an oft injured Veteran RB on this team, with the hopes that his luck turns around, I'd take Brown over Green any day.

Back on subject.

Slaton has looked good throughout the offseason. He earned a few touches with the 1st team. He's not clearly our starter, not in my eyes yet. But I do think he will get lots of touches.

AFAIK, Adai is the only RB to ever get 1000 rushing yards without ever starting a game. Think about that, he rushed for 1000 yards and was never named the starter. He got the lions share of the carries, but was never named the starter. I think something similar to that will happen with Slaton. Simply because Chris Taylor is a better blocker. IF Ahman is playing, he's a better blocker, and they are both capable of getting positive yards.

I would only use Slaton in relief of the other backs, like Jones-Drew. Can he handle the load?? should he start?? Yes, Yes.... but why, if you don't need him to. Give him 10-15 touches, let him learn the game, save his knees..... hopefully, come December, we can put him in the game, and the Defenses will be thinking... oh, he only comes in on running plays..... and we make them pay.
Old 08-25-2008   #39
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Dominic Rhodes | #38 | RB

Indianapolis Colts | Official Team Site

Height: 5-9 Weight: 203 Age: 29

Born: 1/17/1979 Waco , TX

College: Midwestern State

Experience: 8th season

High School: Cooper HS [TX]
Look at that... Slaton is the same size as Rhodes.
Old 08-25-2008   #40
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I but I think right now that Chris Brown won't make the team and that Ahman Green won't be playing by week 6.

Waa?

You're just messing with us right?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read