Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2008   #41
Tedc
Hardheaded

Rep Power: 4615 Tedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The I hate Dickie Injustice Thread

There are few writers that can make the Chronicle moronical.

Justice is one that can do it all by himself. Dickie, you da man.
Old 08-24-2008   #42
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

I don't think Kubiak is that good of a coach, but to criticize the guy for yelling at players when they aren't playing well or for him to criticize Gibbs for not talking to the media is just trolling newspaper style. All I have heard all offseason is how good of a coach Gibbs is and its come out of Justice's mouth. Now that the guy is here, he decides to belittle him and whine about his methods. Make up your mind, Dicky. I haven't seen squat from Gibbs either, but at least he has a proven track record doing what he is being asked to do. I will give Gibbs the benefit of the doubt especially considering how little talent he has to work with at RB....now part of that is his own fault for asking for Duane Brown over Mendenhall, but Brown hasn't been disappointing either (but I do feel RB was a more pressing need considering the '07 play of the OL and the horrible talent we have at RB..but just my opinion)

If a Chron writer is going to call out anyone, it needs to be that loser of a Defensive Coordinator we have. Has Smith not been fired yet? geez.

as for the whole Dallas v. Houston, yeah Dallas has the edge if you go by championship numbers, but Houston has traditionally had a better basketball and baseball team, while the Mavericks have ZERO championships and the Rangers have ZERO World Series appearances. Dallas has the Cowboys (who havent won anything in over a decade) and the Stars (who they stole from Minnesota).
Old 08-24-2008   #43
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I always enjoy being the lone defender of someone who's getting bashed
by everyone else, in a sense its kinda like defending somebody against the mob mentality. So here's why I'm a Richard Justice fan.
I listen to his show on radio sometimes because often he has the kinda guests that nobody else in these parts can probably even get to return phone calls. Justice is on PTI now and then, and that's why he got Wellbon on one day, and if not for that I would have never known that the PTI host is an even cooler, neater guy that what I would have imagined. And he often has NFL Draft guru Rick Gosselin on his show, which is a real treat. Another NFL expert is Bob McGinn with the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel who is at the same level as Gosselein among NFL experts, but not as widely recognized. He has a lot of great guests on, and I regret he won't be on radio anymore, according to what someone in this thread reported. You just won't hear that caliber of guest who are sports experts/authority on any other local radio station.
And yea he's mainly a baseball guy, and when it comes to football he's a Cowboy fan. What'd you would expect since he's from N.Texas. Last I checked there's plenty of Cowboy fans fron here. And he's a Longhorn, so of course he was upset that we didn't take VY. So was everybody else in Houston who didn't want Bush, atleast at one time. But atleast he's a descent journalist. If not, I'm sure he wouldn't have been employed by the Wasington Post all of those years. And don't lump him in with McClain, a man who simply has no writing skills.

I like his radio show a lot. He gets some great guests and can tell a story or two. His Texans talk is a bit too roller coaster for my taste--things are either AWESOME! or AWFUL!

Interestingly, he published the comment to his blog post. I put a link that had Eric Winston being enthusiastic about Gibbs as his coach, and basically Justice responded that I was gullible for believing that, and he asked me if I were clueless.

Funny. A guy criticizes coach for making personal attacks but then asks a Chronicle subscriber if she were clueless.
Old 08-24-2008   #44
Tedc
Hardheaded

Rep Power: 4615 Tedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
I like his radio show a lot. He gets some great guests and can tell a story or two. His Texans talk is a bit too roller coaster for my taste--things are either AWESOME! or AWFUL!

Interestingly, he published the comment to his blog post. I put a link that had Eric Winston being enthusiastic about Gibbs as his coach, and basically Justice responded that I was gullible for believing that, and he asked me if I were clueless.

Funny. A guy criticizes coach for making personal attacks but then asks a Chronicle subscriber if she were clueless.
Did you ask if he was classless? Oh yeah, there was no need.
Old 08-24-2008   #45
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
If you thought those articles were out there, try this...

http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice...here_have.html

I seriously thought the man was drunk when he wrote it. Most Longhorn fans I know were rolling there eyes in embarrassment.

I liked this comment from a Titans fan....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
Vince Young is making grown men cry over here in Nashville, too.
Funny!

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Old 08-24-2008   #46
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedc View Post
Did you ask if he was classless? Oh yeah, there was no need.
Actually, I wrote a followup post to find out if he really does have information that the olinemen are tuning out Gibbs or if he is just extrapolating based on his own experience of not liking to be yelled at. (in other words, pulling something out of his rearend). Because I want to know. Most reports I've heard about Gibbs have been positive, but I do know a number of his ATL linemen said bad things about the weight stuff after Gibbs left. So I want to know if this is A Problem or Something RJ Is Making Into A Problem.

For those who don't want to give his blog post any more page hits, here's what I wrote and the response:

Quote:
Hey, quick question. Is there a particular thing that happened that made you upset with Alex Gibbs for yelling at his players or Kubiak yelling at his quaterbacks? Generally, the public information that is out suggests that the players love the one on one work that Alex Gibbs does with the line, yelling and all.

See e.g.: http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/06/23/r...alex-gibbs-he/

I could easily dig up enthusiastic public statements from the quarterbacks talking about Gary Kubiak as well.

Is there stuff going on with Kubiak/Gibbs that we don't know about but you do?

Personally, I've been pretty impressed with the work Alex Gibbs has done with starting a rookie left tackle. I think the biggest issues with the offensive line last game is that Chester Pitts couldn't start, and Kasey Studdard (a try hard guy, but not a true starter) was overmatched.

Really, is there a particular reason why you bring up the yelling as it relates Gibbs/Kubiak? I could pick a number of the defensive coaches that are yellers, and don't have as much of a track record of accomplishment as Gibbs/Kubiak. I'm not trying to be a smartass about this, I am just curious, and I suspect I'm not the only one that wonders about this. Why the Kubiak/Gibbs rant? Why are you suggesting that Gibbs is stupid?

If you are trying to run coaches out of town, Gibbs is about the last guy on the Texans staff that I'd give the bidness to.

I'm not sure what about this season is particularly surprising so far. I think the only people truly disappointed with the season so far are those who believed your point of view that "For the first time, the Texans enter a season without a glaring weakness."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...s/5897344.html

The Texans defense was statistically at the bottom of the league in many important categories. The free agent acquisitions the Texans grabbed last summer plus drafting young players wasn't likely going to make last year's defensive issues suddenly go away. This is the youngest defensive back lineup that the Texans have ever put on the field, which barring miracles, usually is an unfortunate thing.

This Texans team has a lot of try hard guys who likely wouldn't be starters on other squads. With some of this Kubiak doesn't have much of a choice--the defense is being built from scratch from where it was in 2005, and the only defensive playmaker left from that 2005 team is sitting on the bench recovering from a knee/hamstring injury.

As for optimism and pessimism, I think ultimately everybody thinks that they are the realists, and that everybody else is either overly optimistic or pessimistic unless those people agree with them.

As for the running backs, they are what they are. Gibbs is trying to work miracles with a line that has three new players in it, and a running back group that with exception of Slaton, nobody else in the league would want. In the preseason, the running back group is working on some things that they may not be doing in the regular season, so as with a number of things, it is a wait and see:

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcsouth/...un-scheme.html

Personally, I'm fine with a critical analysis of the Texans. I just want to know where it is coming from. There's tons of issues with the Texans, and none of them are surprises either to the fans to follow the team closely or to the coaching staff, I suspect. You can't just buy the players you want in the NFL. Some years you have to make do with bad decisions of the past, salary cap limitations you have, and just plain waiting for players to develop.

I am not sure where you are coming from about the Kubiak/Gibbs criticism about yelling though. If all the coach yellers were booted from the NFL, I think only Tony Dungy would be left, and I've seen him non-cuss yell a time or too as well. Personally, I don't see Kubiak/Gibbs yelling as being even in the top 1,000,000 concerns about the 2008 Texans. Is there something you know about their yelling that you aren't sharing?

[No player likes being yelled at. That's simply ridiculous. Do you really think those were sincere comments? Are you that gullible? ''Sure, coach, I like the way you try to humliate in front of my teammates. I love it.'' Are you that clueless? Hey, aren't you the person that wrote that I'm unprofessional then admitted you didn't know the standards of professionalism in my business? If it's not you, my apologies. If it is you, in the words of the immortal George Bamberger...--Richard]
I'm not sure the response will be published. RJ is a little sensitive.
Old 08-24-2008   #47
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 294595 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
Best thing to do is NOT purchase the Chronicle!! I stopped my subscription 4 yrs ago because of their horrendous sports coverage. Sports was the main reason I subscribed to the paper to start with. Truthfully, I got sick of Titan and Cowboy coverage taking presidence over Texan coverage.
My feelings and actions also. I rarely even check the Chronicle online because I get more and better information here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Hoover View Post
The truth hurts (in today's piece). It's gonna be another long year if things don't change soon.
So far I see little change in the defense from last year. The offense is passing well, and the running is improved somewhat, and I suspect the running will get better baring injuries.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Sponsored links
Old 08-24-2008   #48
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Actually, I wrote a followup post to find out if he really does have information that the olinemen are tuning out Gibbs or if he is just extrapolating based on his own experience of not liking to be yelled at. (in other words, pulling something out of his rearend). Because I want to know. Most reports I've heard about Gibbs have been positive, but I do know a number of his ATL linemen said bad things about the weight stuff after Gibbs left. So I want to know if this is A Problem or Something RJ Is Making Into A Problem.

For those who don't want to give his blog post any more page hits, here's what I wrote and the response:

I'm not sure the response will be published. RJ is a little sensitive.

Holy cow! This guy is turning more and more into a troll. The Chronicle should shut him down before he alienates too many people, being associated with him is not the best way to keep the readers paying for the paper.
Old 08-24-2008   #49
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I think that's a very even-handed, a very fair appraisal of Justice. And yea T_C, he does tell good stories to. And you're right on the money about his coverage of the Texans. One day he praises them, then the next he may berate them.
I think a lot of times he really just has nothing to say, nothing to write about. That's probably a problem for most journalists who still have to produce a story, a column, or a blog for a deadline.
Re his current story about Gibbs, I definitely disagree with his tone about Gibbs, and I guess his content to. I'm still very thankful for the addition of
the energetic, and IMO very wise OLine coach.
Old 08-24-2008   #50
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
Best thing to do is NOT purchase the Chronicle!! I stopped my subscription 4 yrs ago because of their horrendous sports coverage. Sports was the main reason I subscribed to the paper to start with. Truthfully, I got sick of Titan and Cowboy coverage taking presidence over Texan coverage. I refuse to re-subscribe until Richard Justice is GONE, and I send e-mails to various people to let them know that. NOT that I think they give a damn cause I am just ONE person who wants to hit them where it really hurts, in the back pocket!! Don't subscribe, and let them know why! Yes, the "ragsheet" is the only paper in Houston so they don't really care what a FEW people think. BUT, if subscriptions took a nose dive they might have to take notice.

Thank goodness for the Internet, and esp you guys/gals on TT. Sorry TC, I know you have connections to the Chron, but, I detest RJ, and I refuse to support the Chron as long as he is there. I'll pull up your blogs via TT.
Exactly. And, on top of that, if you are not a fan of Justice's and/or McClain's writing, stop reading their articles. Their success is measured by the number of hits their blogs and articles get. So, as soon as you click the link to their article/blog, you are serving their purpose, regardless of what you may think about their writing.

So, if you legitimately dislike these columnists; (1) stop buying the Chron, (2) stop cliking on their blogs and articles on Chron.com, (3) write the Chron and let them know that you're unhappy and that you've stop buying and reading the Chronicle. Otherwise, you're just racking up hits on their website which helps them sell advertising.
Old 08-24-2008   #51
Lucky

Rep Power: 180779 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
in the words of the immortal George Bamberger..
What freakin' words?

Hey Dick Justice, in the words of the immovable Shaquille O'Neal...
Old 08-24-2008   #52
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
Exactly. And, on top of that, if you are not a fan of Justice's and/or McClain's writing, stop reading their articles. Their success is measured by the number of hits their blogs and articles get. So, as soon as you click the link to their article/blog, you are serving their purpose, regardless of what you may think about their writing.

So, if you legitimately dislike these columnists; (1) stop buying the Chron, (2) stop cliking on their blogs and articles on Chron.com, (3) write the Chron and let them know that you're unhappy and that you've stop buying and reading the Chronicle. Otherwise, you're just racking up hits on their website which helps them sell advertising.
here's an email addy that I believe the sports editor may see.

sptletters@chron.com

some well worded emails to him about Justice and McClain will do more good than us bitching and moaning on TT. asking that Anna-Megan display her breasts in public is probably not in good form...leave that one to me please.
Old 08-24-2008   #53
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I can't say that I was outraged by his column. More baffled by it.

Is he suggesting that Gibbs shouldn't coach by yelling? And that because he yells he is stupid? And that Kubiak shouldn't yell at the quartebacks either?

Really? Really?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
And yea he's mainly a baseball guy, and when it comes to football he's a Cowboy fan.
he really is...and there is no crying in baseball and there is much less yelling. Football is an emotional sport played with a chip on the shoulder. I don't think I've ever seen too many football coaches that didn't yell at players...George Carlin said it best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Hoover View Post
The truth hurts (in today's piece). It's gonna be another long year if things don't change soon.
true. We look like the Arizona Cardinals of the last 20 years and that ain't such a good thing. fingers crossed.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Old 08-24-2008   #54
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
he really is...and there is no crying in baseball and there is much less yelling. Football is an emotional sport played with a chip on the shoulder....George Carlin said it best.

true. We look like the Arizona Cardinals of the last 20 years and that ain't such a good thing. fingers crossed.

I'm gonna steal a line from Al Davis......

Just win baby.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Old 08-24-2008   #55
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
What freakin' words?

Hey Dick Justice, in the words of the immovable Shaquille O'Neal...
Bwahahahahahaha! It took me a second to get your reference.

I looked up his quote:

"A guy who cheats in a friendly game of cards is a cheater. A pro who throws a spitball to support his family is a competitor." - Milwaukee Brewers Manager (1978-1980) George Bamberger

I guess what he is saying is that he can say whatever ugly and or provocative things he wants about whatever player or coach he wants even without basis if he is doing it for a paycheck?

Is it too much to ask to get actual football analysis?

Oh, and he did print my response:

Quote:
RJ-

Actually, I have no reason to believe that Eric Winston's very positive comments about Alex Gibbs weren't sincere. He's pretty straight talking, especially for a team that doesn't have many straight talking players. And nobody from the Chronicle is reporting player disatisfaction with Gibbs. So why should I as a fan be alarmed by Gibbs yelling when many coaches in the league get profane?

My question is straightforward. Lots of coaches in the NFL, including with the Texans yell at their players. A lot. Many of the words they use are unpleasant. Why is it that you are discussing Alex Gibbs' yelling in particular?

He is one of the most accomplished coaches on the staff with a track record of success. Why discuss his yelling in particular, in comparison, to let's say, coaches with a less accomplished NFL history such as Richard Smith or Frank Bush as examples--two other yelling coaches. Do you know something that we as fans do not know?

The reason I ask this is that I can't imagine let's say, Rick Gosselin writing a column like this one: "Gee, a coach from the team is yelling and saying mean things to players. That doesn't seem smart at all. I don't like to get yelled at in my job. Hey that's mean and the head coach shouldn't allow it." Wha? Really, it is inexplicable.

So that's why I was wondering if something caused you to point out Alex Gibbs' screaming versus any of the bunches of other coaches in the league that yell at their players.

(BTW, I really think that there's some good information for Texans fans about the issues that the team is facing relating to the running game in that ESPN link I gave in my blog comment. It's been interesting seeing the slow improvement of the running back numbers in the preseason [not counting QB/WR]:

Game 1 29 attempts 85 yards 2.9 avg
Game 2 33 attempts 110 yards 3.3 avg
Game 3 26 attempts 112 yards 4.3 avg (with no Chester Pitts and an overmatched Studdard).

Hey, I'm not saying the Texans running backs are world beaters, but they just are who they are, and why you should be particularly upset with this group now versus in training camp, I have no idea).

And if you want me to reveal information that was contained in emails between each other about journalistic professionalism, I suppose I can. This is my view:

1. I've always preached that people should not personally attack people or engage in name calling. This includes sports figures and sports writers. That is is better to critically examine arguments, strategies, ideas than it is to engage in personal attacks.

2. I have suggested that some of what you have written in the past has been unprofessional:

http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans...shandle_1.html

I find it repugnant for a sportswriter to encourage his readership to come up with insulting nicknames for a player he covers. I think it is petty and juvenile behavior and well, not terribly professional. Because after I read that, it makes me wonder if that journalist can ever be fair covering that player.

You might see that as a personal attack. I don't know any of you as a person, but all I can judge of your professionalism is what you put into words, and I was criticizing those particular words on that particular day.

3. In a private email to you and in my public writing, I wondered outloud if there are any standards for sports writing professionalism these days. That is, when being unreasonable and provocative to obtain page hits or to get invited to being a ESPN talking head is the currency of conversation among certain sportswriters, are there any standards these days? If Skip Bayless is the standard for professionalism, then I do wonder if there are truly any standards at all.

Ultimately, you say you believe that Texans fans are too emotionally invested in their team to write critically about them. I don't know about that. It is my experience that fans are looking for rational, realistic, factually-supported criticism of the team. Most teams in the NFL aren't inherently great or awful--they are in the middle--they have strengths and weaknesses, need some breaks, have some challenges.

Sometimes I think your writing about the Texans is sort of on a roller coaster of either things being really really great or things being really really awful. One moment you see the Texans as a team "without glaring weaknesses" (even though they are very young team had a bottom rated defense in 2007 http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef.php), and then the next moment you are throwing the one of the most experienced coaches under the bus for uh yelling(?).

Ultimately, my question is a basic one. Do you know of any Texans offensive players who are unhappy with the way that Gibbs is yelling at them, or are you just extrapolating that you wouldn't like to be yelled at your job, so obviously the line isn't listening to Gibbs, or are you just sore that unlike the rest of the yelling coaches on the Texans staff, Gibbs doesn't talk to the media?

I'm just a Chronicle subscriber that tries to piece through the news we get from the team and tries to figure out what the real deal is. What is real and what is illusory. I want to know if the line is tuning out Gibbs because that is the implication of your article. I don't get too many people asking me if I'm clueless, but generally I don't hang out with impolite people.

And certainly, I didn't want to rehash that professionalism discussion, but only did because you brought it up. Sorry, hope you have a lovely Sunday in every other respect.
-Steph
Old 08-24-2008   #56
Lucky

Rep Power: 180779 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

It still drives me nuts that the Chronic puts that kid's byline on your work. Talk about unprofessional...
Old 08-24-2008   #57
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
It still drives me nuts that the Chronic puts that kid's byline on your work. Talk about unprofessional...
If it is any consolation, they were very apologetic about it.

BTW, I don't think he is a kid. IIRC, he is in his mid thirties.
Old 08-24-2008   #58
Lucky

Quote:
BTW, I don't think he is a kid. IIRC, he is in his mid thirties.
Really??? I thought he was a college student. At least his stuff reads like a college student's work.
Old 08-24-2008   #59
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 242285 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

I can just see tomorrow's "professional" Chronicle headline:

STEPHANIE STEPS ON DICKIE
Old 08-24-2008   #60
TexasOutlaw
TexasOutlaw

Every once in a while I have to read the Chronicle to recall why I don't read it.

I have met my quota for the next three months.

Texans Tail Gate
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read