Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2008   #261
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The I hate Dickie Injustice Thread

If Justice found a loaded "dick", he'd blow his head off.
Old 12-17-2008   #262
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Speaking of which, how's this for talking out of both ends of your A**??
http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice...ans_are_1.html
Old 12-17-2008   #263
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post
TC, you probably have the most personal experience with RJ of anyone on the mb. Is he really as conceited as he comes off in his columns?

I can't imagine why he is surprised that sports figures in Houston don't want to talk to him. He has thrown the majority of them under the bus.
I do not know him at all nor do I understand him. Generally, I like what he does on the radio better than what he does in his columns. Story telling versus trying to provide analysis. Story telling-good; Analysis-pukeworthy. I think he is a hard worker, but that some of his columns may be the product of doing too much. Few people are good at everything, and often people are asked to do things that are out of their element.

I think he is more in the business of doing entertaining writing and less on providing factual information. He takes so many positions on things he can't keep them straight.

For example, he says in his recent blog post that midway through Mario Williams rookie season, he said he was wrong about the pick. That is not correct. As recent as November of last year, he was saying that Williams was doing a good impression of a 6th round pick. This I know because it was so shockingly stupid for a columnist of a major newspaper to say such a thing, even if they were a total Longhorn homer.

From what I can tell, he can be a charming human being but is also thin skinned and insecure. His analysis is totally defined by how nice people are to him. Media friendly or unfriendly. He lays off guys who are good quotes, even if they are playing like crap, and is more likely to not give a guy a benefit of the doubt if they don't kissy kissy with him. We all have blindspots.

The conceited thing is a schtick. An artifice. That, combined with potstirring, is what he is about. That's one way to do things, I suppose. In an era of page hits, there's a lot to be said for that.

I never wanted to get sideways with RJ. There's all sorts of people I disagree with about things, but I don't want things to get disagreeable. I'm just someone who is looking for factual information and analysis that makes sense about my favorite team.
Old 12-17-2008   #264
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
I do not know him at all nor do I understand him. Generally, I like what he does on the radio better than what he does in his columns. Story telling versus trying to provide analysis. Story telling-good; Analysis-pukeworthy. I think he is a hard worker, but that some of his columns may be the product of doing too much. Few people are good at everything, and often people are asked to do things that are out of their element.

I think he is more in the business of doing entertaining writing and less on providing factual information. He takes so many positions on things he can't keep them straight.

For example, he says in his recent blog post that midway through Mario Williams rookie season, he said he was wrong about the pick. That is not correct. As recent as November of last year, he was saying that Williams was doing a good impression of a 6th round pick. This I know because it was so shockingly stupid for a columnist of a major newspaper to say such a thing, even if they were a total Longhorn homer.

From what I can tell, he can be a charming human being but is also thin skinned and insecure. His analysis is totally defined by how nice people are to him. Media friendly or unfriendly. He lays off guys who are good quotes, even if they are playing like crap, and is more likely to not give a guy a benefit of the doubt if they don't kissy kissy with him. We all have blindspots.

The conceited thing is a schtick. An artifice. That, combined with potstirring, is what he is about. That's one way to do things, I suppose. In an era of page hits, there's a lot to be said for that.

I never wanted to get sideways with RJ. There's all sorts of people I disagree with about things, but I don't want things to get disagreeable. I'm just someone who is looking for factual information and analysis that makes sense about my favorite team.
Tactfully said. You must think he reads these posts. He might. Who Cares?
Old 12-17-2008   #265
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2409 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Honestly if I were Mario, I wouldn't talk to a single Houston reporter. The fact that AJ brings up how badly Mario was treated by the media and the fans speaks volumes.

On another note, I notice Schaub kinda has a me against the world attitude too. I don't think he's oblivious to the fact that fans wanted him kicked to the curb.
Old 12-17-2008   #266
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Tactfully said. You must think he reads these posts. He might. Who Cares?
Not likely. But I do know if you write enough words, eventually you will write ones that you regret. He's a human being. Instead of ticking him off, I'd prefer for him to write things that weren't rollercoastery. That things are either totally suck or totally swell. And unless you are writing about a team that can do no wrong or no right, usually that sort of analysis is going to miss the mark.

I would completely not care about what he writes at all except for the fact that the Chronicle is the source where most fans locally and nationally get their news about the Texans. So when he says something completely offbase, it increases misinformation out there.

For example, the other day he wrote something about how Kubiak didn't call plays for the Broncos. And when someone on his blog busted him on that, he semi-backtracked and said that Kubiak didn't act like a traditional coordinator and didn't develop game plans.

That I know is completely and utterly false. It is either a lie or he is totally mistaken. And if he is uncertain of something, he shouldn't act like he is certain.
Old 12-18-2008   #267
BuffaloglennTX
Rookie

Rep Power: 23 BuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran04 View Post
Honestly if I were Mario, I wouldn't talk to a single Houston reporter. The fact that AJ brings up how badly Mario was treated by the media and the fans speaks volumes.

On another note, I notice Schaub kinda has a me against the world attitude too. I don't think he's oblivious to the fact that fans wanted him kicked to the curb.
Some fans wanted him kicked to the curb; at the Miami game when he was booed, it wasn't the whole stadium but probably one third booing, with the usual Houston pile-oners and cattle then booing too. I was flipping off most of the fans around me at that game who started calling for Sage. What a bunch of idiots.

I do agree though that Matt does have a chip on his shoulder, which I think actually has helped his play this year.
Sponsored links
Old 12-18-2008   #268
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
[Yeah, he's tough to deal with as far as dealing with the media.--Richard]

[He has been tough to deal with. It's not just me either. You can check with others on this and correct me if you find out I'm wrong. He was absolutely great today, though. Funny. Talkative. His personality really came through. If the Texans get really good, he has a chance to be a commercial star if he choses to be. He even joked, ''I told you so.'' Hey, you use a lot of bad words. That's a good way to irritate me, and I know you wouldn't want to do that.--Richard]

Could it be that for the first three years of his career he had individuals like you writing hateful, spiteful, and unprofessional things. Maybe he did not like being called a bust before ever playing a down. He seems very happy to do talk to Jim Rome, but not you, have you thought about that he just does not like you. Now why would anyone not like a condescending person who acts like they know it all and when proven wrong throw insults.

Mario has acted better than most of us would when faced with the opportunity to actually fire back at the amount of unfair criticism and attacks he has. We all know how you react to criticism and when someone proves you wrong, you insult them. Mario has just refused to do interviews, he is taking the high road.

Once again he is proving to be the better man.

My response .. which is what he wants but oh well I only read his shit when listed here.

Thats because ROme manned up and publicly apologized to Mario for being an ***** and thinking it was Bowie/Jordan.
Old 12-28-2008   #269
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

He wants us to hug a Cowboy fan

http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice...py_for_th.html
Old 12-29-2008   #270
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice...xans_on_t.html

Quote:
Our Texans are on the threshold of greatness

The Texans finish out another successful season Sunday afternoon. I don't know about you, but I'm already looking forward to training camp next July. One thing we can all agree on is that this franchise has turned a corner and is headed toward the playoffs in 2009.

There's still a couple of small holes to fill, but this core group will be taking this city on quite a ride next fall. I don't know about you, but I never doubted they'd get there. At this critical time, the important thing is to remain supportive.

Bob McNair needs to know you're in his corner. So renew those season tickets. Keep the dollars flowing in. If some team wants to steal Coach Kubiak and GM Smith away, McNair must have the resources to keep his management team together.
a flipping fish
Old 12-29-2008   #271
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
Not really, he's pitchin.
In case you didn't hear, we're in an economic downturn, a real nasty one and
many people are getting in the unemployment lines. And the newspaper business has been especially hard-hit so Richie is just rying to stir things up to sell papers.
Old 02-19-2009   #272
Wolf
100% Texan

I refuse to post on the his thread and I really don't like reading his stuff. (but here I am again). It is all about getting the "hits" on his page

I know it is not right to post the whole thing and if this gets shortened, I understand, but my thinking is that he won't get the hits if I post the whole thing and you can all read it here instead

Quote:
The Texans could learn a lot from the Astros in terms of public relations and dealing with a crisis.

When the Texans got caught cheating, they hid from the truth. Bob McNair, Gary Kubiak and Rick Smith continue to hide, hoping their problems will go away.

They must think that when they show their faces again, all will be forgotten. Even if they talk to one of their corporate media partners at 610 or Channel 13, it's likely to come up. The Texans are doing nothing to move past the story.

The Astros took a different approach this morning when Miguel Tejada showed up at spring training.

First, right in front of the media, he walked into a meeting with Drayton McLane and Cecil Cooper.

Then McLane met with the media and answered all the questions, including some tough ones.

''This is a tough issue, but you have to work your way through it,'' McLane said. '' If you look back to the entire steroid issue, this is a very controversial and complex issue. It wasn't just one occurrence. It's something that has been in baseball for a period of time. We're trying to bring a conclusion to all of this.''

Cooper then opened his door and spoke of Tejada speaking to the entire team this morning.

Tejada spoke to the media for 4 minutes, 39 seconds. Give him credit for one thing. Instead of denying using steroids or human growth hormone, he declined to discuss it.

''I don't have to talk about that,'' Tejada said. ''I just want to talk about what's going to happen from now on.''

In the dirty world of baseball and performance-enhancing drugs, that statement qualified as a step forward.

The Astros have made mistakes in this thing. Contrary to his previous statements, McLane admitted the Astros had discussed whether Tejada would be in the Mitchell Report before trading for him.

McLane also answered questions about whether it was reasonable to think Tejada gave two checks totaling $6,300 for HGH and then threw both shipments away.

''It's hard to judge what somebody else did,'' McLane said. ''Whether he did or did not, you have to go by what people say to you. The testing to what I know is he has never tested positive. You're trying to make a tough judgment on someone else and what their word is. We just need to work our way through it.''

Cooper spoke of the club wrapping its arms Tejada and creating the best possible work environment.

''You get a chance to get in the clubhouse, get with your teammates, get support from your teammates, staff members,'' Cooper said. ''We have a unique family. I think he'll deal with this the way he has dealt with everything. He's a class person and will handle it first-rate and we'll move beyond this. I'm just happy that he's here. Hopefully, he can get this all done today and be done with it. We're supportive of Miggy, and we love him as a teammate. We're glad to have him here.''

This is Public Relations 101.

''He admitted he made a major mistake,'' McLane said. ''Throughout all of our lives, mistakes are made from time to time. If you look into a person's heart and the type of person he has been before that and the way he has lived his life, his thoughtfulness, his respect for other people and for baseball is among the best I've ever seen.''

This story may not have ended today. But when faced with tough circumstances, the Astros did exactly the right thing. They confronted the issue head on. Are you listening, Texans?
http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice...xans_coul.html
Old 02-19-2009   #273
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Oh dear, the moron is at it again. I'm not sure I've ever seen a 'journalist' with such a grudge against someone, it's past the point of being rediculous. There are so many things wrong with that snippet that I won't even start to address it
Old 03-10-2009   #274
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 53440 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Just to really piss me off. Little Dickie Justice won the Texas Sportswriter of the Year award from the National Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association.

This is really ridiculous
Old 03-10-2009   #275
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit's baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!!!!!!!!!!

f 'em.
Old 03-10-2009   #276
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, with Mark Berman they got it right but not so much with Justice.

Congrats to Mark Berman!

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Old 03-10-2009   #277
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 104065 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Just to really piss me off. Little Dickie Justice won the Texas Sportswriter of the Year award from the National Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association.

First it was Al Gore getting a Nobel Prize and now this... It's starting to get chilly in Hades.
Old 03-10-2009   #278
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

UNBELEIVABLE!!!!!!!!!! This award just lost all credibility. RJ is a POS! I dont care if he does read this.
Old 03-10-2009   #279
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 64065 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe they felt sorry for him, being that hes mentally handicapped and all.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
Old 03-11-2009   #280
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Texas suck, specifically Journalistic-wise. Any more comments from me on this topic should go in the no-sportstalk allowed section

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read