Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2008   #241
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 68059 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The I hate Dickie Injustice Thread

RJ at his favorite "secret" place to hang out.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
Old 09-02-2008   #242
Tedc
Hardheaded

Rep Power: 2838 Tedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respected

Does he STILL have a job (other than VY)?
Old 09-02-2008   #243
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedc View Post
Does he STILL have a job (other than VY)?
Come to think of it, I didn't hear him on 1560 this morning...
Old 09-02-2008   #244
ESAD2-14
TexanAmerican

Rep Power: 19109 ESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow, this thread is still ticking.

Glad to see I am not the only one, by a mile, that thinks Dickie-J is an a**-clown.

It's also good to see the Texans Talk community stick together, despite everyone's differences. I guess if everyone is gonna unite for something it might as well be the Texans!
Old 09-02-2008   #245
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 53441 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

His two headlines today are:

The blog Just how good is Mario Williams? Turnaround began with Roy O.

and the column Justice: Given time, Sherman’s going to win

And he is sort of reasonable in both of them. I decided that his editors assigned these topics as penance, or he is taking his meds again.

He tries (kinda) to compliment Mario, but he just can't quite make it. Damning with faint praise, is the phrase that comes to mind.

Quote:
To criticize him for not creating constant havoc may be unfair. Even the greatest defensive ends have taken plays off. Reggie White didn't always have to be accounted for, but on third-and-eight, he could wreck your entire game plan. And your quarterback.
It cracks me up that Justice is surprised that Mario doesn't like talking to him. Hasn't Dickie read the stuff he has written about Mario?

Quote:
He's a different kind of guy. He's a very reluctant interview. There are days when he makes it clear doing a five-minute session with reporters on Wednesday is the last thing in the world he'd like to be doing. Other days, he's fine.
Old 09-02-2008   #246
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 147527 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post
It cracks me up that Justice is surprised that Mario doesn't like talking to him. Hasn't Dickie read the stuff he has written about Mario?
I guess we'll be treated to Dick's "a player/coach is only as good as their willingness to talk to me" measurement of talent with Mario. Second only to "is the player's name Vince Young, if not, then go the 'they suck' route in article."

It must be really simple to get a job on the chron's sports beat. Color within the lines, don't dribble on yourself when using a straw and have a few simple rules for analyzing the city's sports stars and teams and there you go! Success!

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
Old 12-17-2008   #247
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 53441 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Some crow was eaten by Justice, at last. I guess better late than never?

Congratulations, Mario Williams: I never doubted you

Quote:
I'm sure glad I was on the Mario Williams bandwagon from the start. Some of you preferred Vince or Reggie. Not me. I could see how good this guy was going to be. He's a game-changer.

So I'm going to be smiling from ear to ear this afternoon if, as expected, Mario is named to his first Pro Bowl. Andre Johnson should be getting a phone call as well, and Kris Brown, Chester Pitts, Owen Daniels, Steve Slaton and Kevin Walter are in the mix.

If things work out as planned, Dunta Robinson, Matt Schaub and Amobi Okoye could be getting the nod. Yes, indeed. Things have sure changed around our little football team. As JFK said, "Victory has a thousand fathers, but defeat is an orphan." (He has been credited with originating the quote, but it apparently was first used in a 1942 journal entry by Count Galeazzo Ciano, Mussolini's foreign minister. Raise your hand if McClain or McTaggart give you this kind of educational material.)

Anyway, Mario has had a terrific year. He's fifth in the AFC with 11 sacks and tied for third with four forced fumbles. Those aren't overwhelming numbers, but numbers don't tell the entire story.

He's fighting off two blockers regularly and teams are scheming away from him. If you watch the games, you can see that there's havoc wherever he is. The Texans are still figuring out how to generate a rush from other areas. Tim Bulman has had a solid season, and Richard Smith appears to have gotten somewhat more aggressive with his blitz calls in recent weeks.

Mario has a strained relationship with the media. He doesn't do many interviews, and sometimes lets it be known that he'd rather be anyplace else than talking to reporters.

I'm not sure why this is. Some of it could be the way things started in Houston with his every moved compared to Vince Young and Reggie Bush. As he gets older, it's likely he'll settle into a comfort zone with that part of his professinal life as well.

Professional athletes usually figure out that dealing with reporters is about the easiest parts of their jobs. Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Charles Barkley, etc., could do seminars on how to shift coverage in your favor. It's not hard.

No matter how that turns out, there's no question Gary Kubiak--that's Gary Kubiak, not Charley Casserly, the JFK quote applies here, too--got it exactly right with taking Mario Williams over Reggie and Vince.

This should be a nice day for Mario. His team is hot, he's playing well and it's hard not to be excited about what's ahead for the Texans over the next couple of years.
Old 12-17-2008   #248
jamil
Rookie

they need to get this guy off 1560.

double rods fellas.
Old 12-17-2008   #249
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

His column is actually pretty good. The previous post was his sarcastic blog.

Commentary: Williams opens up, quiets critics

Quote:
Mario Williams was funny, talkative and completely at ease. Being a Pro Bowl defensive end clearly agrees with him.

“I told you so,” he said at one point Tuesday afternoon.

He smiled.

“I’m just joking,” he added.

Those two sentences were about as close as he came to saying, well, I told you so.

He simply couldn’t find it within himself to be bitter or angry on one of the happiest days of his brief NFL career.

This was the day he was voted to his first Pro Bowl. Truth be told, he deserved the honor last season, but that’s not important now.

He’s a very, very good player, a borderline great player, the kind of player coaches can build a franchise around.

Yes, he’s everything the Texans hoped he would be when they made him the first pick of the 2006 draft.

Remember that day? It was one of the most bizarre, ugly days the franchise has had.

Fans at Reliant Stadium booed loudly at the announcement of his selection. He wore a stunned, almost sad expression when he walked into a news conference a few hours later.

What could he say or do? What must he have been thinking? He should have been on top of the world, and not just because he’d signed a $54-million contract.

All he’d done was play brilliantly and be a good citizen while at North Carolina State. He was one of those people others cheered for and genuinely liked.

“That’s life,” he said. “But you can’t satisfy everybody. If you’re going to go through the world saying, you know, ‘I hope they don’t boo me,’ or worry about what people are going to say, you’re not going to make it too far.”

He stepped into a situation in which he couldn’t win because a large number of Texans fans — and quite a few people in the media, including me — wanted Vince Young or Reggie Bush.

We saw the selection of Mario Williams as another stumble by a franchise that had made a bunch of them.

Sophomore surge

“I was just like, ‘Man, they never even gave this guy a chance to go out on the field and prove himself,’ ” said Texans receiver Andre Johnson, who was selected to his third Pro Bowl team.

I wasn’t just wrong about Williams. I was way wrong. Texans coach Gary Kubiak knew what he was doing, and on Tuesday, it was Kubiak who delivered the news that Williams would be joining Johnson in Hawaii.
Old 12-17-2008   #250
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
I guess we'll be treated to Dick's "a player/coach is only as good as their willingness to talk to me" measurement of talent with Mario. Second only to "is the player's name Vince Young, if not, then go the 'they suck' route in article."

It must be really simple to get a job on the chron's sports beat. Color within the lines, don't dribble on yourself when using a straw and have a few simple rules for analyzing the city's sports stars and teams and there you go! Success!
Why would he ever talk to a reporter not named Michael Smith? If I was him, I wouldnt. They killed him from day one, and then tried to give him no credit when he got better. Did Justice really mean he was "on his side" from day one? Really?
Old 12-17-2008   #251
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
Why would he ever talk to a reporter not named Michael Smith? If I was him, I wouldnt. They killed him from day one, and then tried to give him no credit when he got better. Did Justice really mean he was "on his side" from day one? Really?
No the article written with a tongue-in-cheek slant twoards irony. Anybody who writes an article about mario saying they were with him since day 1 is a liar or Michael Smith.
Old 12-17-2008   #252
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 717 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
The Cowboys own us, but then so do the Rangers and Mavericks.

How did he get employed as a Houston sports writer? He obviously not a fan of Houston sports team and it showed with that comment. You guys should email the editor and tell him to fire his ass.
yeah, he is an idi0t.
Old 12-17-2008   #253
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70214 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

I was at Reliant Stadium. Some people booed Mario and some people cheered.

I wish that was reported accurately. That might have to go up on the blog.
Old 12-17-2008   #254
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
I was at Reliant Stadium. Some people booed Mario and some people cheered.

I wish that was reported accurately. That might have to go up on the blog.
Some of us were still too numb to cheer or boo after hearing on the radio (the night before) that the Texans were going to select Mario..
Old 12-17-2008   #255
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

[Yeah, he's tough to deal with as far as dealing with the media.--Richard]

[He has been tough to deal with. It's not just me either. You can check with others on this and correct me if you find out I'm wrong. He was absolutely great today, though. Funny. Talkative. His personality really came through. If the Texans get really good, he has a chance to be a commercial star if he choses to be. He even joked, ''I told you so.'' Hey, you use a lot of bad words. That's a good way to irritate me, and I know you wouldn't want to do that.--Richard]

Could it be that for the first three years of his career he had individuals like you writing hateful, spiteful, and unprofessional things. Maybe he did not like being called a bust before ever playing a down. He seems very happy to do talk to Jim Rome, but not you, have you thought about that he just does not like you. Now why would anyone not like a condescending person who acts like they know it all and when proven wrong throw insults.

Mario has acted better than most of us would when faced with the opportunity to actually fire back at the amount of unfair criticism and attacks he has. We all know how you react to criticism and when someone proves you wrong, you insult them. Mario has just refused to do interviews, he is taking the high road.

Once again he is proving to be the better man.

My response .. which is what he wants but oh well I only read his shit when listed here.
Old 12-17-2008   #256
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70214 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Mario Williams is a quiet guy from a very small town in North Carolina. No matter what his start was with any team, he wasn't likely going to be the best quote ever.

Most of his dealings with the media haven't resulted in good things. His ESPN cover story his rookie year was a joke and the local media were basically rooting for him to fail.

His dealings with the media remind me of another small town NC guy, Julius Peppers. For all the success Peppers has had, he is not a media guy.

To complain that Mario isn't friendly with the media is like complaining that libraries are quiet. He is just a quiet guy who basically has been burnt by most of the people who write about him.
Old 12-17-2008   #257
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Mario Williams is a quiet guy from a very small town in North Carolina. No matter what his start was with any team, he wasn't likely going to be the best quote ever.

Most of his dealings with the media haven't resulted in good things. His ESPN cover story his rookie year was a joke and the local media were basically rooting for him to fail.

His dealings with the media remind me of another small town NC guy, Julius Peppers. For all the success Peppers has had, he is not a media guy.

To complain that Mario isn't friendly with the media is like complaining that libraries are quiet. He is just a quiet guy who basically has been burnt by most of the people who write about him.
TC, you probably have the most personal experience with RJ of anyone on the mb. Is he really as conceited as he comes off in his columns?

I can't imagine why he is surprised that sports figures in Houston don't want to talk to him. He has thrown the majority of them under the bus.
Old 12-17-2008   #258
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post
TC, you probably have the most personal experience with RJ of anyone on the mb. Is he really as conceited as he comes off in his columns?

I can't imagine why he is surprised that sports figures in Houston don't want to talk to him. He has thrown the majority of them under the bus.
I think Steph had a PPO filed against Dickie for his insistent stalking of her.
Old 12-17-2008   #259
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
No the article written with a tongue-in-cheek slant twoards irony. Anybody who writes an article about mario saying they were with him since day 1 is a liar or Michael Smith.
He seems like an ass hat who would claim to have loved the pick from day one. Ala John McClain
Old 12-17-2008   #260
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3019 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected

Too many people make the mistake of taking Justice seriously. He is a joke of a muckraking sports journalist and he knows it. He is less concerned with being consistent or correct than he is with being an infotainer for the Chronicle's website, with an eye on an ESPN TV gig.

Many of the comments in his blog are hilarious because the commenters can't pick up on the dripping sarcasm. Justice is making fun of himself, only to turn the fun on the commenters who don't get it.

He's playing them all.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read