Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-23-2008   #1
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Running Game Improvement

Something we can take out of the preseason so far is that the running game seems to be improving with each week. I know the games don't count but I'm hoping this trend has some credibility because of the fact that its the first year with Gibbs and we can't really work on it during practice like we can during games. Some numbers:

(These are only taking into account runs by the backs, no QB or WR runs)
Game 1 29 attempts 85 yards 2.9 avg
Game 2 33 attempts 110 yards 3.3 avg
Game 3 26 attempts 112 yards 4.3 avg

This is a fairly positive trend although its tough to take into account how many reps the 1st team was getting etc. but I think its good that the game last night, when the starters played the longest, was our best game. It really was night and day to watch from the first game to the third. Not sure how much just having Andre Johnson could have contributed to this and of course take everything with a grain of salt in the preseason but I feel better about our running game each week and I kind of wish we would have run it a little bit more often yesterday.
Old 08-23-2008   #2
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Running Game Improvement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
Something we can take out of the preseason so far is that the running game seems to be improving with each week. I know the games don't count but I'm hoping this trend has some credibility because of the fact that its the first year with Gibbs and we can't really work on it during practice like we can during games. Some numbers:

(These are only taking into account runs by the backs, no QB or WR runs)
Game 1 29 attempts 85 yards 2.9 avg
Game 2 33 attempts 110 yards 3.3 avg
Game 3 26 attempts 112 yards 4.3 avg

This is a fairly positive trend although its tough to take into account how many reps the 1st team was getting etc. but I think its good that the game last night, when the starters played the longest, was our best game. It really was night and day to watch from the first game to the third. Not sure how much just having Andre Johnson could have contributed to this and of course take everything with a grain of salt in the preseason but I feel better about our running game each week and I kind of wish we would have run it a little bit more often yesterday.
good point and i agree totally.. cut blocking is something that requires practice. hopefully we should only continue to improvealthough it should get incrementally smaller from here on out
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #3
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

We won't count Boyd or Brinks.
But Kubiak said Rosenfels' TD run was a designed QB draw play.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #4
Arky
Veteran

Rep Power: 2327 Arky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
We won't count Boyd or Brinks.
But Kubiak said Rosenfels' TD run was a designed QB draw play.
That Rosenfels run made me lol - Rosenfels flashin' the speed. Very clever call...
Arky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #5
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
That Rosenfels run made me lol - Rosenfels flashin' the speed. Very clever call...
He flies better than Bush, LOL LOL!
Old 08-23-2008   #6
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Isn't Slaton getting more carries each week?

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #7
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39337 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Lol!
Sponsored links
Old 08-23-2008   #8
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
11, 13, 10

But that doesn't matter. We'll see what happens in the regular season.
Old 08-23-2008   #9
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39337 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Yes I think so.
Old 08-23-2008   #10
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Everybody's learning a relatively new system. Some of the people have some experience with something similar and it's similar to what we were running except pure now. So it's going to take some time for everything to... you know I hate to say it but I have to... gel.

It's not surprising to me that we're improving but it did surprise me how much better we looked against the Boys. Remember how bad the 1's looked the first two games; I expected the Cowboy defense to shut us down and I was very, very pleasantly surprised.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #11
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2802 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected

The run game will only get better with practice and it looks like were going to need with our defense looking suspect.
wolf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #12
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16635 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Green will be the starter for week 1

But green will get hurt this season thats about 95% true at this point
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #13
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 241723 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
11, 13, 10

But that doesn't matter. We'll see what happens in the regular season.
I would think that Slaton should get between 10-15 touches/game during the season. Taylor and Walker will get most of the load.

oh and whichever guy between Green and Brown that makes the final 53.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #14
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 45767 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I would think that Slaton should get between 10-15 touches/game during the season. Taylor and Walker will get most of the load.

oh and whichever guy between Green and Brown that makes the final 53.
I think Taylor might get more playing time than Slaton, but I don't believe Walker will if Taylor does. I would imagine Slaton being the #2 RB to start the season behind Taylor, Brown or Green (if they can stay healthy).
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #15
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 241723 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
I think Taylor might get more playing time than Slaton, but I don't believe Walker will if Taylor does. I would imagine Slaton being the #2 RB to start the season behind Taylor, Brown or Green (if they can stay healthy).
Agreed.
First we punish them with Taylor and Brown (if healthy). Then bring the speed in with Slaton.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008   #16
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Its also worth noting how extremely young/inexperienced our line is, especially without Pitts. Brown is a rook, Studdard is in his 2nd year with very little real playing time, Myers is only in his second season as a starter, Mike Brisiel had a few starts last year and Winston is going into his third year. Its going to be nice to get Pitts back because he has more experience on his own than probably all the starters and back-ups not named Salaam combined.

There will be growing pains in the run and pass game but I could see this line being very reliable if they can stick together for a while. Gotta especially feel good about the future of our tackles.
Old 08-24-2008   #17
Webbster
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
Green will be the starter for week 1

But green will get hurt this season thats about 95% true at this point

Green also needs to be a finisher
Webbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008   #18
gary
Hall of Fame

I say Green gets hurt in the first game.
Old 08-24-2008   #19
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 287939 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

If they keep Green, which I hope they don't, my money says no more than two games started with a total of four games in which he makes an appearance.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008   #20
gary
Hall of Fame

Now that's tough right there.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read