Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-25-2008   #21
Sideline
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 118 Sideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Sideline
Default Re: Ahman Greene...On His Way Out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Part of me - the conspiracy theorist part - is beginning to wonder if this little "injury" is a Kubiak ploy to save Green from any serious preseason damage (see Jason Taylor, Osi Umenyiora, etc.) given that Ahman is... well... old.

And then, come opening day, a "miracle" will occur and Green'll look just fine.

...At least for a half.

Edit:
another reason for doing this is to see what Chris Taylor and Steve Slaton are made of. They pretty much know what they've got in Green and Walker. Brown has something of a decent (when healthy) resume' too. The only real questions were (1) is Taylor all the way back? and (2) Can Slaton really play with the big boys? Can't find those things out if Green/Brown take all the 1st team reps - which they should if healthy.

Wouldn't be the first time we've been led astray by NFL medical reports.
An excellent post there dude, I agree with everything said.

I do hope and think that Green was held back for that reason, I think we at least see how he rolls in week one. Got to agree also with the fact that we wanted to see some questions answered and the above questions are the ones that needed answering, I thought Brown showed some good signs of life against the Saints and would like to see what he can do in regular season form.
Sideline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #22
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 245830 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
I don't think we can go into the 16 game season with the combined experience of Slaton, Walker, and Taylor. I think we need either Brown or Green, and I think Green is hands down better than Brown
We'll, we've got Marcell Shipp to. If you've got to have NFL experience, there he is.

Then of the two, Chris Brown is much more explosive, and dangerous than Ahman Green. If I had to chose between the two of them, I'd go with Brown.

But who you going to bring on game day? Chris Taylor & Steve Slaton needs to be active for every game. If we're bringing Marcell Ship, then that leaves no room for Chris Brown. Cut him.

Now I haven't seen a lot of him, but I would much rather bring Darius Walker to the games as well. So, cut Marcell Shipp.

My Job is not on the line, I don't think Kubes' is either. So I would have no problem with Taylor as my Starter, Slaton as my change of pace, and Walker as my back-up for any and every game we have this season. If something were to happen to one of the three, I'd call Marcell Shipp, and hope he's still available.

I'd also place a call to Ahman Green, and Chris Brown, just to let them know if they hadn't been cut, I would have used them in these situations... and see if they can get me in touch with Ron Dayne.
Old 08-25-2008   #23
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 119106 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

As much as we all want him cut, I think he'll be on the roster this season. That goes for Brown too.

Green
Brown
Taylor
Slaton
Old 08-25-2008   #24
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

This may be as far fetched of anything I have come up with in a while but doesn't Taylor of some practice squad eligibility left?

From what I have seen no one is going to be grabbing him as soon as he is cut.
Old 08-25-2008   #25
Vinnie
with an I E

Section: 506, best section in the 500's!
Rep Power: 9715 Vinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Part of me - the conspiracy theorist part - is beginning to wonder if this little "injury" is a Kubiak ploy to save Green from any serious preseason damage (see Jason Taylor, Osi Umenyiora, etc.) given that Ahman is... well... old.

And then, come opening day, a "miracle" will occur and Green'll look just fine.

...At least for a half.

Edit:
another reason for doing this is to see what Chris Taylor and Steve Slaton are made of. They pretty much know what they've got in Green and Walker. Brown has something of a decent (when healthy) resume' too. The only real questions were (1) is Taylor all the way back? and (2) Can Slaton really play with the big boys? Can't find those things out if Green/Brown take all the 1st team reps - which they should if healthy.

Wouldn't be the first time we've been led astray by NFL medical reports.
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #26
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 263816 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I can't remember anything Ahman Green has done impressive on the field as a Texan, nothing in two years.
Off the top of my pointy head... Big screen pass against the Raiders. Running over Roy Williams last year against the Cowboys.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008   #27
checo446
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 checo446 was voted MVPcheco446 was voted MVPcheco446 was voted MVPcheco446 was voted MVPcheco446 was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to checo446

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
The problem with this is that Ahman has a bonus due to him if he makes the 53 man roster. So, if you're going to cut him, it would make fiscal sense to do it before Saturday. If you don't cut him then, you might as well keep him on for the rest of the season and hope he gives you something.
Texans are on the hook for $3.8 million if they don't cut him before the Week 1 cut deadline.

If it were me running the show, he would be gone as his unreliability is no better than just putting the young guys in and hoping for the best, especially with that type of coin on the line.
checo446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-26-2008   #28
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I was excited when we signed Green last year and thought the injury issues were exaggerated- boy was I ever wrong. During this offseason, I thought there was probably a 50/50 chance we keep Green and have thought since he got injured last year that we would keep him 2 years and then release him (be free of the final 2 years).

With what Kubiak has done this preseason with Green, I'm 99% sure he's on the roster come Week 1. Week 2 however, he could easily be on IR. I think Kubiak is going to go forward this season with Green and while the injury history concerns Kubiak- I don't think it's a deciding factor in whether to keep or release him.

Here's why I think that. If Kubiak was severely concerned about Green's injury and wondering whether or not he would get anything out of him this upcoming season, Green would be playing in preseason games. Apparently he's healthy enough to play right now, but they don't want to risk anything. If Kubes was THAT worried about it, and it was a deciding factor, he would have played him against Dallas to see how he held up. If Green was that fragile that he got hurt... good riddance, that would make his decision. But he didn't because he's ready to go forward with Green this season and wants to save him.

I now think Brown is the odd man out. We're keeping Green and Slaton. I think Taylor and Walker should also make the squad, with Leach being the lone fullback. We'll only carry 5 wr's now.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008   #29
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 153344 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I think when Green's healthy, he's our best all around back. Hands down. If he can give us 5-6 good games, it might be worth it. He just might NOT be able to. I can't really make that call from where I'm sitting because I haven't seen ANYTHING from him except for 1 play.

But at this point, this has to be considered one of the few bad moves that Smithiak has made and you have to wonder how much of it came from Sherman lobbying for one of his old players.
$1 million per healthy game...
Old 08-26-2008   #30
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 153344 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
I don't think we can go into the 16 game season with the combined experience of Slaton, Walker, and Taylor. I think we need either Brown or Green, and I think Green is hands down better than Brown
The combined experience of Slaton, Walker and Taylor got us over 4 yards per carry avg. and paychecks a little bit cheaper and something called "future years" looking pretty good to me. Even better I got to see the three actually PLAY.
Old 08-26-2008   #31
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I was excited when we signed Green last year and thought the injury issues were exaggerated- boy was I ever wrong. During this offseason, I thought there was probably a 50/50 chance we keep Green and have thought since he got injured last year that we would keep him 2 years and then release him (be free of the final 2 years).

With what Kubiak has done this preseason with Green, I'm 99% sure he's on the roster come Week 1. Week 2 however, he could easily be on IR. I think Kubiak is going to go forward this season with Green and while the injury history concerns Kubiak- I don't think it's a deciding factor in whether to keep or release him.

Here's why I think that. If Kubiak was severely concerned about Green's injury and wondering whether or not he would get anything out of him this upcoming season, Green would be playing in preseason games. Apparently he's healthy enough to play right now, but they don't want to risk anything. If Kubes was THAT worried about it, and it was a deciding factor, he would have played him against Dallas to see how he held up. If Green was that fragile that he got hurt... good riddance, that would make his decision. But he didn't because he's ready to go forward with Green this season and wants to save him.

I now think Brown is the odd man out. We're keeping Green and Slaton. I think Taylor and Walker should also make the squad, with Leach being the lone fullback. We'll only carry 5 wr's now.
What else can they do at this point....go to war with virtually four rookies at RB ? Expose MS to a mistake ?
That's not going to happen. Agreed: Green is the bell cow. And as much as no one likes it...our season rides and falls on his ability to survive fifteen touches a game . Five Wrs ? The insurance for Ah-men is going to be very expensive indeed. No more 2000 carry over thirty RBs please. never again.
Old 08-26-2008   #32
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Who wants to make a bet with me? I am willing to bet that Ahman starts and makes at has at least 15 carries in week 1
Old 08-26-2008   #33
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
The combined experience of Slaton, Walker and Taylor got us over 4 yards per carry avg. and paychecks a little bit cheaper and something called "future years" looking pretty good to me. Even better I got to see the three actually PLAY.
More than one of them will make an error this season. They will make many. Your wagering going to the Qb well in the draft once again when you post stuff like this....We know now today,Criss Taylor can't read a corner fire for squat. That's a game time fact. I don't care how good they've looked so far. The younger they are the more mistakes they'll make...they will make mistakes. You bank on anything bank on that one. Cheaper is not always better. And if we are going anywhere this year, Green must be relatively healthy for most of the games.
Old 08-26-2008   #34
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90172 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
As much as we all want him cut, I think he'll be on the roster this season. That goes for Brown too.

Green
Brown
Taylor
Slaton
Right now, I'm thinking Walker, TBD, and possibly even Shipp all have a better shot at making the roster than Brown does. For better or worse, I don't see them getting rid of Green either.
Old 08-26-2008   #35
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

I find this thread to be depressing and I don't think I'll visit it again.

We ain't even played Game 1 yet and many are sticking a fork in us to show we're done.

Silver Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008   #36
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 119106 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Right now, I'm thinking Walker, TBD, and possibly even Shipp all have a better shot at making the roster than Brown does. For better or worse, I don't see them getting rid of Green either.
I'm beginning to sway that direction too, ChampTex. It just boggles my mind a guy that has been tagged as injury prone would come to a new team that wanted him, only to bail due to being a little nicked. That goes for Ahman Green McLady too.

Does anybody have the Cap numbers if we were to cut Brown? I wouldn't think he'd cost us much if anything.
Old 08-26-2008   #37
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I'm beginning to sway that direction too, ChampTex. It just boggles my mind a guy that has been tagged as injury prone would come to a new team that wanted him, only to bail due to being a little nicked. That goes for Ahman Green McLady too.

Does anybody have the Cap numbers if we were to cut Brown? I wouldn't think he'd cost us much if anything.

from Keith at InTheBullsEye

Quote:
Says here that if Green doesn't find a way to stay healthy through training camp, he'll be gone before the season opener in Pittsburgh. And, if he is sent packing, then as a June 1 cut Green only carries $1.25 million in dead money on the 2008 salary cap, actually saving a couple million in cap space should the team be looking for an alternative
How Safe is Ahman Green?

With Brown I think they would only be on the hook for his 700,000 signing bounus....1.4 million max.
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008   #38
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Señor Stan View Post
from Keith at InTheBullsEye

How Safe is Ahman Green?
That's cool. Anything on Chris Brown?
Old 08-30-2008   #39
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 221570 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
I have a DREAM! Slayton will be the AP of 2008!! Hey, it's MY dream, leave me alone!!

AP was my sleeper rookie last year for my FF team. THANKS to him, my wallet got a little bigger at the end of the season! I'm just wondering if Slayton could be that guy this year! (just wondering!!)
Well, I for one, am hoping your dream comes true!!
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read