Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-23-2008   #1
Ali4Real

Question Ahman Greene...On His Way Out?

Do you think Ahman Greene is on his way out, meaning do you think the Texans FO well cut him by the end of the season if not before? And if the Texans do this well we take a CAP hit or anything?

DEATH TO ROMO!
Old 08-23-2008   #2
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ahman Greene...On His Way Out?

Kub's doesn't appear to have given up on him, yet. The problem is if we keep him on the regular season roster, it'll take away a space from some like Darius Walker who CAN play. I sorta get the feeling that Green has until Week 1 to get his rear end on the field. Otherwise they'll give him the axe.

Same could be said with Chris Brown. What a disappointment thusfar.
Old 08-24-2008   #3
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Green has been a terrible disappointment no matter how you rationalize his value to the Texans & they're on the hook thru 2010 5.5, 6.5 mil per whatever- its too much. @ this point they need to cut their loses (Weaver too) period. even when healthy does he really bring that much more to the table than anyone else they have? think about it

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #4
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 219370 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Green has been a terrible disappointment no matter how you rationalize his value to the Texans & they're on the hook thru 2010 5.5, 6.5 mil per whatever- its too much. @ this point they need to cut their loses (Weaver too) period. even when healthy does he really bring that much more to the table than anyone else they have? think about it
I think when Green's healthy, he's our best all around back. Hands down. If he can give us 5-6 good games, it might be worth it. He just might NOT be able to. I can't really make that call from where I'm sitting because I haven't seen ANYTHING from him except for 1 play.

But at this point, this has to be considered one of the few bad moves that Smithiak has made and you have to wonder how much of it came from Sherman lobbying for one of his old players.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #5
Bull Pen 1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1621 Bull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respected

I say cut him, he is not worth the roster spot. He was hurt in what the first or second week of last season and the first play of this preseason. If I'm correct he gets a bonus for making the starting day roster of 4 or 5 million dollars and plus his salary. The chanches he will make it thru the season might be 1%.

While we at it cut Brown also.

We can pich up a player if we fell we need another running back. Sure the new one wouldn't have practiced with the Texans but, Green and Brown hasn't either. The only advantage Green and Brown has is they might have been studying the playbook.
Bull Pen 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #6
Hook'er
Veteran

Rep Power: 13 Hook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I agree beerlover, we can thank ol' Sherman for this mistake!
Old 08-25-2008   #7
Vinnie
with an I E

Section: 506, best section in the 500's!
Rep Power: 7306 Vinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I think when Green's healthy, he's our best all around back.
He certainly looked it in the two traininig camps I got to attend, then again the defense looked awesome swarming tackle dummies so...
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-25-2008   #8
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we'll hold onto one of either Green or Brown, and since we're not at practices like the coaches are, all we can do is hope they keep the one who is toughest and more likely to play.
Silver Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #9
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I say cut Green and Brown, of what use are they if they never play?

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #10
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

I see Brown getting cut first. Green starts first game or hes gone.
Old 08-25-2008   #11
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 54609 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
He certainly looked it in the two traininig camps I got to attend, then again the defense looked awesome swarming tackle dummies so...
This is what I keep hanging on to. I hate to give up on him, because he just looked so impressive in TC. My faith took a major blow when he went down after 1 play, but I want to see what he can do in the first game.
Old 08-25-2008   #12
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 58645 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think we can go into the 16 game season with the combined experience of Slaton, Walker, and Taylor. I think we need either Brown or Green, and I think Green is hands down better than Brown
Old 08-25-2008   #13
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
I don't think we can go into the 16 game season with the combined experience of Slaton, Walker, and Taylor. I think we need either Brown or Green, and I think Green is hands down better than Brown
In theory, I would agree, but what do we need them for if they can't play through their injuries? If it's simply their experience being helpful to the rookies, isn't that also the coaches job?

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #14
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Sure we can, Denver is doing the exact same thing with their RB's. They could do it but they probably wont. Green it is. Brown needs to be cut if he cant get on the field. Green will be hopefuly, but at this point I truly hope neither one make the team. Roster spots are way too precious to fill them with injury prone RB's.
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #15
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Part of me - the conspiracy theorist part - is beginning to wonder if this little "injury" is a Kubiak ploy to save Green from any serious preseason damage (see Jason Taylor, Osi Umenyiora, etc.) given that Ahman is... well... old.

And then, come opening day, a "miracle" will occur and Green'll look just fine.

...At least for a half.

Edit:
another reason for doing this is to see what Chris Taylor and Steve Slaton are made of. They pretty much know what they've got in Green and Walker. Brown has something of a decent (when healthy) resume' too. The only real questions were (1) is Taylor all the way back? and (2) Can Slaton really play with the big boys? Can't find those things out if Green/Brown take all the 1st team reps - which they should if healthy.

Wouldn't be the first time we've been led astray by NFL medical reports.

Last edited by ObsiWan; 08-25-2008 at 10:28 AM.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #16
BigWig
Bigimus Wigimus

Rep Power: 1266 BigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respected

He should change his name to Ahman Bennie Tony Green Joppru Boselli!
BigWig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #17
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't remember anything Ahman Green has done impressive on the field as a Texan, nothing in two years. impressive in training camp, please...was their contact involved? For reasons I can't explain the Texans have fallen in love with his workouts, they like his speed, cuts, blocking technique, ability to catch the ball out of the backfield his overall athletic ability forgetting the most important factor (his heart) for a RB- COMPETITIVNESS. somehow, someway they forgot to measure his heart, love of the game to be on the field, healthy or hurt helping his team win, to compete like a gladiator on the field of battle

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #18
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
I see Brown getting cut first. Green starts first game or hes gone.
The problem with this is that Ahman has a bonus due to him if he makes the 53 man roster. So, if you're going to cut him, it would make fiscal sense to do it before Saturday. If you don't cut him then, you might as well keep him on for the rest of the season and hope he gives you something.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #19
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I have a DREAM! Slayton will be the AP of 2008!! Hey, it's MY dream, leave me alone!!

AP was my sleeper rookie last year for my FF team. THANKS to him, my wallet got a little bigger at the end of the season! I'm just wondering if Slayton could be that guy this year! (just wondering!!)
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #20
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
I have a DREAM! Slayton will be the AP of 2008!! Hey, it's MY dream, leave me alone!!

was my sleeper rookie last year for my FF team. THANKS to him, my wallet got a little bigger at the end of the season! I'm just wondering if Slayton could be that guy this year! (just wondering!!)
AP, as in Adrian Peterson?

Have any openings in that league?
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read