Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-23-2008   #21
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The good news

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Butler looks better this game (I think)... but no, he's not our best tackle by a long shot.
He made quite a few mistakes (more than minor) previously.
He can be a decent swing tackle though. Definitely better than I-65.

I'm not saying that I would start him, only that so far he's played the best of the group and that's not an insult to Brown or Winston... He's just been very good.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #22
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

The good news is if the defense continues to look this clueless, maybe we can get a defensive coordinator who knows what he is doing.

As of last week, McClain contended in his blog comments that Richard Smith's job was not in jeopardy.

I don't see how you can have two years of bottom dwelling defense that gives up big plays and has trouble getting turnovers and have not have his seat even a little bit warm.
Old 08-23-2008   #23
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
The good news is if the defense continues to look this clueless, maybe we can get a defensive coordinator who knows what he is doing.

As of last week, McClain contended in his blog comments that Richard Smith's job was not in jeopardy.

I don't see how you can have two years of bottom dwelling defense that gives up big plays and has trouble getting turnovers and have not have his seat even a little bit warm.
I agree. It's unforgivable to have this number of talented players on one side of the ball and to get so little out of them. Many coaches have done much more with less... The way it looks to me, Mario, Demeco, and Bennett are all near elite level players at their positions right now. Not many teams can boast that.. Add to it guys like TJ, Okoye, Diles, Dunta, Molden and he has more than a fair amount to work with this season.
Old 08-23-2008   #24
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83971 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Another good test for Duane Brown to pass, as this is the first 3-4 NFL defense he has to face, and a pretty decent one up front, I'd say!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #25
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I agree. It's unforgivable to have this number of talented players on one side of the ball and to get so little out of them. Many coaches have done much more with less... The way it looks to me, Mario, Demeco, and Bennett are all near elite level players at their positions right now. Not many teams can boast that.. Add to it guys like TJ, Okoye, Diles, Dunta, Molden and he has more than a fair amount to work with this season.
If we have Gibbs maybe we can get Ryans .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #26
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Another good test for Duane Brown to pass, as this is the first 3-4 NFL defense he has to face, and a pretty decent one up front, I'd say!
Schaub sure makes it easy on him. How Schaub escaped the game with zero sacks and zero interceptions is a freakin' miracle.

That being said, Brown does look the part and I'm excited to see him develop into a very good LT.
Old 08-23-2008   #27
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 295319 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Schaub sure makes it easy on him. How Schaub escaped the game with zero sacks and zero interceptions is a freakin' miracle.

That being said, Brown does look the part and I'm excited to see him develop into a very good LT.
Most of the pressure seemed to be coming from the interior line tonight.
Old 08-23-2008   #28
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83971 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
First of all, this is a good news thread, so I will reserved the Butler critics for another day.

Same with Bennett.

Dunta is not playing.
Okoye, Diles and Molden are still green.

Demeco has not been up to his high standard, but yeah, this is only pre-season!

But seriously, guys like Mario and Demeco, I couldn't care less what they do in pre-season!
Old 08-23-2008   #29
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Well, I did report from the VTech games I reviewed that Brown will be helped by Schaub's quick release, and decisions, and by Sage's ability to get rid of the ball instead of taking the sack.

He is what I saw, just as what I saw from Reeves, and I was saying (without ever thumping chest) that I would give Reeves the time to adjust because he does have the physicality (but I wasn't and am still not sure about his football IQ.)
Old 08-23-2008   #30
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He is what I saw, just as what I saw from Reeves, and I was saying (without ever thumping chest) that I would give Reeves the time to adjust because he does have the physicality (but I wasn't and am still not sure about his football IQ.)
he has the feet...but thats all I see. He isn't very physical and he gets pushed around by big wrs

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #31
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I think our defense is very young. And it is hard to win with young defenses because the way young players learn hard lessons is by making mistakes.

When Richard Smith came to the Texans, the defense had few playmakers. I think the Texans strategy on defense is to grab random great players for the defense and hope that the DC can do something with them.

All that being said, I do not trust Richard Smith in building and developing this defense into something I care to watch. I have little reason to believe in him. He was a newbie coordinator coming to the Texans, and I don't like a lot of what I see.

Blurgh.

---

Other good news. Last preseason, Andre Johnson had very quiet numbers. And then busted out in the first two real games. I don't think they have really unleashed him yet.
Old 08-23-2008   #32
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd hate to read/see "The Bad News" thread

how about we won the turnover stat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #33
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314445 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
All that being said, I do not trust Richard Smith in building and developing this defense into something I care to watch. I have little reason to believe in him. He was a newbie coordinator coming to the Texans, and I don't like a lot of what I see.
Either I'm caught up in the BS or I just don't understand. But I'm thinking we should have an excellent D-line and we aren't showing it.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #34
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
We would'nt want Tank ... he's naughty . I guess you decide if you're here to win or get the sportsmanship award .

The Pokes got two good players cause nobody would touch them ... kinda like the Raiders of the 70's .
At least Tank was genuinely repentent for what he did. I was more willing to take a flyer on him. Seemed to me like he was begging for one more chance and wasn't/isn't going to screw it up.

Pacman... I'm not convinced he's doing anything but laying low till the heat dies down.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #35
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I do not trust Richard Smith in building and developing this defense into something I care to watch. I have little reason to believe in him. He was a newbie coordinator coming to the Texans, and I don't like a lot of what I see.
C'mon now, let's be honest with ourselves here and not just grab a convenient scapegoat in the person of our D-coordinator to direct all of our frustration and disappointment at but instead ask ourselves this question: are we maybe some what in denial about the talent level of our D-Linemen ?
Meantime, back to the subject of this thread. After a real shaky start, Schaub
picked it up from his steller performance last week and continued to impress.
And borrowing some of John McClains eloquence, I'm really pumped about Steve Slaton ! I thought this guy was a namby-pamby little scatback of the Reggie Bush mold who ran a mile-wide of anything that resembled physical contact, but this scrappy little guy can pound it inside. The one play where he bumped into bad-azz/dirty-player Roy Williams showed more toughness from Slaton. Obviously he will be a playmaker for us this rookie year, but is it possible he could be our starting tailback at some point ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #36
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think our defense is very young. And it is hard to win with young defenses because the way young players learn hard lessons is by making mistakes.

When Richard Smith came to the Texans, the defense had few playmakers. I think the Texans strategy on defense is to grab random great players for the defense and hope that the DC can do something with them.

Doesn't the coordinator - offense or defense - have to have a scheme? A plan? How you gonna pick the right guys that fit your scheme when there IS NO SCHEME?!?!?

Dungy's defenses rely on speed and swarming to the ball.
Baltimore's defense rely on big D-linemen to eat up all the blockers so their aggressive LBs can make plays
Belicheat's defense takes away what you do well and makes you have to win with what you suck at

What's our scheme?
Keep the opposing offense on the field and hope they get too tired to score?

Quote:
Blurgh.
well said.

Quote:
Other good news. Last preseason, Andre Johnson had very quiet numbers. And then busted out in the first two real games. I don't think they have really unleashed him yet.
I think so too. Schaub missed him at least twice; the worse one was Matt underthrew him on what should have been six. It looked like the DB broke it up but if Schaub puts air under the ball and lets A.J. go get it, that was money. But we ended up scoring on that drive anyway - Schaub-to-Walter.
Old 08-23-2008   #37
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

oh yeah... the good news thing...

We stopped Marion Barber on 1st and goal at the 2. Props to the D-line because one play later Diles picked Romo off. It should be noted that Cochran, not Weaver was in at the time.

Slaton and Taylor can be our running game. The zone blocking may be beginning to show dividends

We are a pass-first team. We came out passing against Dallas just like we came out passing against New Orleans.

Once Schaub found his rhythm, we moved the ball at will against one of the better defenses in the league. So if Schaub is on, we can move the ball against anybody.

Turnover ratio +3. [caution: we ended the 07 preseason with a +5 T/O ratio]

Our special teams are pretty damned good. Kris Brown is money in the bank. Turk is a good punter who puts lots of air under the ball which makes for good coverage. A.D. makes something good happen on almost every K.O. and so does J.J. when he's not fumbling. Some of you want him gone, but I say "not yet". Anderson isn't nearly the breakaway threat that J.J. is and I'd rather save Slaton's legs for the running game.
Old 08-23-2008   #38
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1284 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
At least Tank was genuinely repentent for what he did. I was more willing to take a flyer on him. Seemed to me like he was begging for one more chance and wasn't/isn't going to screw it up.

Pacman... I'm not convinced he's doing anything but laying low till the heat dies down.
Jerrah Jones is basically calling Goodell's bluff about player misconduct. When Goodell started saying he would strip draft picks from teams that play miscreants, most of the other owners shied away from guys with histories. Thus, the market for Tank and Pac-Man was non-existent and Jerrah got them for a song. That's giving them a huge competitive advantage. Now, if they screw up, he'll puff his chest out at Goodell and say, "You're not going to take draft picks away from US?!?" For that reason, Goodell needs to be merciless with the Cowboys if either of those guys screws up again.

That having been said, I think Tank is salvageable, but Pac-Man is another story. The explanation for his sudden good behaiver is simple: his money ran out. In the early days of his suspension, Pac-Man was defiant about how his buddies were more important to him than the league. But that was before he started feeling the bite of not having an NFL income. I'm guessing he burned through all his top-ten-pick money by the end of the 2007 which is when he started getting serious about cleaning up his act. Once he starts getting paid big bucks again, the strip clubs will see their profits zooming.
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #39
Tedc
Hardheaded

Rep Power: 4615 Tedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post

Our special teams are pretty damned good. Kris Brown is money in the bank. Turk is a good punter who puts lots of air under the ball which makes for good coverage. A.D. makes something good happen on almost every K.O. and so does J.J. when he's not fumbling. Some of you want him gone, but I say "not yet". Anderson isn't nearly the breakaway threat that J.J. is and I'd rather save Slaton's legs for the running game.
I love Jacoby Jones. I love his explosiveness and ability to make great plays. I love the way he jumps into his moms arms at the end of every game.

I DO NOT like that just when he should be getting more confidence, he starts fumbling and seems lost at times. I think some of the plays he has botched are getting to his head and we can't keep a spot for a fourth string reciever that is a "head case".

Anderson has been money when called upon. You have to reward that.
Old 08-23-2008   #40
jdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 17 jdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden cover

I just want to give kudos to a few guys that have stuck out to me as doing a good job.

Kevin Walter and Andre Davis are really impressing me. Walter has clearly set goals and worked hard to achieve those goals. I feared that Davis would not play as well after his contract, but he's playing hard.

I'm also impressed with Sage Rosenfels although Matt Schaub is doing well. I'm impressed that Sage continues to be a professional, team player, and he's playing hard. He's not just being solid. His touchdown had a lot of heart behind it.

I'm also impressed with the team in general for improving the turnover ratio.

There are other people and team achievements that deserve kudos, and I want to add them here as they occur to me. All of the sky-is-falling stuff needs some countermeasures.
jdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read