Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-22-2008   #1
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 53673 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The good news

1. Schaub is a very good QB. To be able to move the team and not turn the ball over or get sacked with that bum, Studdard lined up on his blind side next to a rookie that had to block Demarcus Ware... that's darn impressive. He made at least 3 big completions in the face of an unblocked rusher.

2. Both Taylor and Slaton looked more comfortable running the ball and making the appropriate reads.

3. The ZB continues to improve.

4. Bennett is a good CB.

5. Mario is a heck of a player.

6. Our receivers are very good.

7. We've essentially escaped preseason with a healthy squad- though I think we're really gonna miss Fred Weary.

8. I liked what I saw from Brandon Harrison.

9. We've taken good care of the ball and also played clean, penalty free football this preseason.

10. We have found two very good backup OTs in Frye and Butler.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008   #2
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7786 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The good news

yup. the rest... not so good.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008   #3
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
...though I think we're really gonna miss Fred Weary.
I think they can re-sign Weary once he healthy, depending upon the length of the injury settlement.

The best I can take from this game was how Schaub rebounded from a bad start. He really looked rattled early. But he came back in the 2nd quarter to lead an impressive drive. I thought Kubiak made a mistake late in the 1st half not going for the 4th down conversion. That would have helped Schaub's confidence.
Old 08-22-2008   #4
Andrew6
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4661 Andrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default My take on the game

I tried to have an open mind about this game and remember that this is just a preseason game and has no real bearing on the season. This is basically a glorified tryout. That being said, I'll start with offense. Schaube' looked pretty good in my opinion and for the most part the offensive line looked ummm decent. I wasn't impressed with Studdard and havn't really ever been impressed with him any time I've seen him play on the pro level. But all in all the rest of the offensive line looked --- decent. As far as the TE position the only one I really saw or paid attention to was Owen Daniels. Owen looked better his first year and I'd love to see him put up numbers and catch balls like that again.
WR - Kevin Walter looked good
Andre Johnson didn't see anything that warrented praise
Andre Davis small mistakes but still makes plays
David Anderson could deff. be a threat and if by chance can block I'd say train him up at TE.
and last and least Jacoby Jones - I honestly don'tknow what to say about him. I'm not sure what to say. I am not sure if the team has just put too much stress on him and he can't handle it or if he's just that bad.
RB - everyone showed flashs, while Slaton impressed the most and taylor made some good moves. I'd like to see more of D. walker
FB - Vonta Leach, hes made some mistakes but oh well its pre season. Atleast hes not Jameel Cook

Defense - The line looked ok but not by any means great and mario looked like he got handled ona few plays. LB's looked pretty decent for the most part. CB - Reeves got abused and so did everyone else the only one in that backfield that looked great was Will Demps and not b/c he's a ladies man. I miss D ROB
Old 08-22-2008   #5
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 53673 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I think they can re-sign Weary once he healthy, depending upon the length of the injury settlement.

The best I can take from this game was how Schaub rebounded from a bad start. He really looked rattled early. But he came back in the 2nd quarter to lead an impressive drive. I thought Kubiak made a mistake late in the 1st half not going for the 4th down conversion. That would have helped Schaub's confidence.
Kubiak mad a mistake late in the first half by not pulling out his licensed fire arm and unloading its shells into #64s distended belly. He could of put an end to all of our pain and misery!
Old 08-22-2008   #6
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I wanna know which dog of yours Kasey kicked

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008   #7
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

We can't start a new thread for everyone's take. We'll have about 50 different threads tonight alone. Your post seemed to be on the optimistic side, Andrew, so I put yours in the good news thread.

Doesn't look like AJ will see any significant time this preseason. I'm not concerned...yet.
Old 08-22-2008   #8
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I wanna know which dog of yours Kasey kicked
Vinny, did you watch him tonight. It was one of the most appalling displays I've ever seen. It reminded me of the '05 preseason when the Texans decided to try Wand out at guard. NOT GOOD AT ALL!
Old 08-22-2008   #9
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Vinny, did you watch him tonight. It was one of the most appalling displays I've ever seen. It reminded me of the '05 preseason when the Texans decided to try Wand out at guard. NOT GOOD AT ALL!
just having fun with you since you have had Kasey on the tip of your boot for a while now.....dude is gonna have a hard time making the team in any case.

Old 08-22-2008   #10
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: My take on the game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew6 View Post
Andre Davis small mistakes but still makes plays
David Anderson could deff. be a threat and if by chance can block I'd say train him up at TE.
and last and least Jacoby Jones - I honestly don'tknow what to say about him. I'm not sure what to say. I am not sure if the team has just put too much stress on him and he can't handle it or if he's just that bad.
FB - Vonta Leach, hes made some mistakes but oh well its pre season. Atleast hes not Jameel Cook
lol ridiculous.. its funny how stuff can be twisted when the moood takes a person

JJ has had a mental breakdown and cant handle the stress while leach and AD made 'small mistakes but hey its preseason'...IN REALITY THEY EACH DROPPED A SINGLE PASS THAT THEY SHOULDVE CAUGHT

and i dont se 5'10 200lb anderson becoming a TE somehow
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008   #11
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Hey, this is a good news thread!

And you started it, LOL LOL!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008   #12
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Hey, this is a good news thread!

And you started it, LOL LOL!
Easier said than done... Sorry!
Old 08-23-2008   #13
El cabezon
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 El cabezon was voted MVPEl cabezon was voted MVPEl cabezon was voted MVPEl cabezon was voted MVP

Quote:
just having fun with you since you have had Kasey on the tip of your boot for a while now.....dude is gonna have a hard time making the team in any case.
Vinny,

I take it that Kasey didn't played well at all, how about Duane Brown...... did he played OK?
El cabezon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #14
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: My take on the game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
lol ridiculous.. its funny how stuff can be twisted when the moood takes a person

JJ has had a mental breakdown and cant handle the stress while leach and AD made 'small mistakes but hey its preseason'...IN REALITY THEY EACH DROPPED A SINGLE PASS THAT THEY SHOULDVE CAUGHT

and i dont se 5'10 200lb anderson becoming a TE somehow
Hahaha, I think you're among the more postive posters on the board, MAD!

Andrew, Leach dropped the ball at a critical time, too!
But oh well, his name is not Cook!

I'm very encouraged for we have more "important" positives as the regular season draws nearer.

We're a young team, and we are making strides.
Rome wasn't built in one single day.

We solve our chronic LT problem.
We have more confidence in the running game, which we will need to keep our D off the field.
We found another WR in Anderson for depth just in case.... knock on wood!

No matter how people think that we're soft in the middle, we added a big guy in the rotation.

Our LB corp as a group is faster and better than last year.

However pathetic our pass rushing may look at this time, we have better personnel here as well.

Even if Studdard doesn't pan out, we see improvement in White, Frye and Butler. That's more than we had last year.

I wish people would look at all these positives, which are many!
Old 08-23-2008   #15
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by El cabezon View Post
Vinny,

I take it that Kasey didn't played well at all, how about Duane Brown...... did he played OK?
I gotta watch the game closer with my dvr to really give a good opinion but the times I centered on him were all good plays. I thought Winston missed a few blocks and our guard play in general was spotty at best in the run game.

Old 08-23-2008   #16
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I gotta watch the game closer with my dvr to really give a good opinion but the times I centered on him were all good plays. I thought Winston missed a few blocks and our guard play in general was spotty at best in the run game.
Yeah, Winston was pretty bad tonight. However, his man rarely could beat the DT Studdard whiffed to the ball. A few of Winston's attempts at cut blocks looked like he was rolling over in bed. It still appears that Rashod Butler is currently our best tackle in this system.
Old 08-23-2008   #17
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
With the poor guard plays, the centers not exactly flowery, and neither QB having a great day, I'll venture to say that Brown is at least passable... but don't quote me yet!
Old 08-23-2008   #18
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Yeah, Winston was pretty bad tonight. However, his man rarely could beat the DT Studdard whiffed to the ball. A few of Winston's attempts at cut blocks looked like he was rolling over in bed. It still appears that Rashod Butler is currently our best tackle in this system.
Tank Johnson was kicking some serious butt tonight and I think the team struggled with the 3-4 gaps...many of those zbs plays were blown up with Johnson or Canty dominating their men.

Old 08-23-2008   #19
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Butler looks better this game (I think)... but no, he's not our best tackle by a long shot.
He made quite a few mistakes (more than minor) previously.
He can be a decent swing tackle though. Definitely better than I-65.
Old 08-23-2008   #20
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 151960 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Tank Johnson was kicking some serious butt tonight and I think the team struggled with the 3-4 gaps...many of those zbs plays were blown up with Johnson or Canty dominating their men.
We would'nt want Tank ... he's naughty . I guess you decide if you're here to win or get the sportsmanship award .

The Pokes got two good players cause nobody would touch them ... kinda like the Raiders of the 70's .

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read