Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-23-2008   #61
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Well, that was ugly as all hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
We would also have to come up with rational reasons for drinking way too many beers during the season
My rationale for beer is that it helps avoid reality and kills good breath. Thatís important when you strive for quality as a dirty old man.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #62
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217648 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
While the bad news is certainly true, I think there are a few things that we can attribute to the defense not getting any pass rush. One of the big things is I don't see too many exotic or off the wall blitzes (Think about the blitz that DeMeco did against the Titans last year that went up the gut and just destroyed Kerry Collins). Yes most of our linebackers are pretty slow in that reguard, but I don't think you want teams gameplanning us because we showed them our entire defense in the preseason.
The thing is that we DID bring our blitzes last night. We've been blitzing all preseason and the blitzes have not been putting pressure on the QB. Everyone's been picked up. Zone blitzes, Demeco, Zac, Morlon, up the middle, with the stunt, overloading an area... doesn't matter, they're not getting to the QB. (I didn't notice any DB's blitzing.)

IIRC, we brought the house 2-3 times... and they all got picked up.

Something is very wrong with that.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #63
ESAD2-14
TexanAmerican

Rep Power: 19109 ESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
We look weak and we look soft. We look confused. Our defensive philosophy is not working no matter what Richard Smith says. This man can't do this job and somebody needs a reality check over there ASAP before we spend the next season getting our heads handed to us.
That pretty much sums it up. Richard Smith is not the man for the job. Last year I was beginning to think this; but never really came around to accepting that line of thought until now. Smith's defense is not motivated nor does it look disciplined. Someone on the defense needs to step up and take the leadership role seriously. I keep on hearing that Demeco is that guy, if he is he needs to be more vocal and start ripping his guys if necessary. I know his style is to lead by example but not everyone responds to that, sometimes it takes a good ol' fashioned a** chewing to get people to respond.

Either way the Dallas game needs to serve as a serious reality check to our Defense and to Richard Smith. What ever is ailing them needs to be fixed quick, fast, and in a hurry. I believe the Texans have the personnel to have a very good defense for a very long time. If they continually display the level of suckatude that they did last night, its going to be a very long season.

I'm not going to list all the things that I saw wrong, because most all of you saw the same crappy performance I saw. I hate to say it but our D looked like crap. This can not be blamed on a "vanilla" scheme anymore, for the past 3 years we have seen this same scheme, IT IS NOT WORKING! Kubiak needs to make a list of goals for the defense, hand it over to Richard Smith since he can not seem to do it himself, and give him a deadline on when those goals should be met (I say week 2 at the latest). If not, bye bye Richard.

I generally do not like to point fingers at 1 individual for the problems of a whole unit, but in this case I will. We have had the same uninspired look about our defense since this guy has been the Defensive Coordinator. He has had his time to get it right and has yet to fix it. I hope the Texans find someone who will.
Old 08-23-2008   #64
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
The thing is that we DID bring our blitzes last night. We've been blitzing all preseason and the blitzes have not been putting pressure on the QB. Everyone's been picked up. Zone blitzes, Demeco, Zac, Morlon, up the middle, with the stunt, overloading an area... doesn't matter, they're not getting to the QB. (I didn't notice any DB's blitzing.)

IIRC, we brought the house 2-3 times... and they all got picked up.

Something is very wrong with that.
There's something wrong with the Broncos' D, the Aints', the Girls.
None of them could get a sack on us.

At least (in this pre-season) we got one from Bulman (and one that was nullified by penalty yesterday). Looks like there will be a bunch of DCs getting their pink slip in the next few days!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #65
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post

At least (in this pre-season) we got one from Bulman (and one that was nullified by penalty yesterday). Looks like there will be a bunch of DCs getting their pink slip in the next few days!
EXACTLY!
Old 08-23-2008   #66
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP

OK, is it the coaching or the players or a combo of the two? All we know for sure is that we aren't going to be 'play off' bound with results we've seen so far this pre-season.

Our team has always been weak in the game plan area and even weaker in making 'game' time adjustments to those game plans. Saying this, what can we do? How successful can we be with no pass rush/no run or pass defense and we're not even talking about offensive short comings.

Look at all the HIGH draft choices on the DL that has not translated into success. Of all aspects of our team, our DL should be stellar but it's not-- poor player selection/poor coaching/poor scheming,etc.

We've seen potential from the offensive side of the ball this preseason but virtually nothing from the defense.
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #67
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsip View Post
OK, is it the coaching or the players or a combo of the two? All we know for sure is that we aren't going to be 'play off' bound with results we've seen so far this pre-season.

Our team has always been weak in the game plan area and even weaker in making 'game' time adjustments to those game plans. Saying this, what can we do? How successful can we be with no pass rush/no run or pass defense and we're not even talking about offensive short comings.

Look at all the HIGH draft choices on the DL that has not translated into success. Of all aspects of our team, our DL should be stellar but it's not-- poor player selection/poor coaching/poor scheming,etc.

We've seen potential from the offensive side of the ball this preseason but virtually nothing from the defense.
I had a post somewhere that says if you go a stats site like pro-football reference for example, you will see that many teams have more higher draft choices on D than us.
Sponsored links
Old 08-23-2008   #68
El cabezon
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 El cabezon was voted MVPEl cabezon was voted MVPEl cabezon was voted MVPEl cabezon was voted MVP

Quote:

Actually the Broncos got a sack on us, one of their defensive players leveled Sage.
El cabezon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #69
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2409 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Sacks are way overrated. It's about pressures and hurries. Sacks are typically a fluke or the result of horrible QB play. Most will get rid of the ball.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #70
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7786 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESAD2-14 View Post
... Smith's defense is not motivated nor does it look disciplined. Someone on the defense needs to step up and take the leadership role seriously. I keep on hearing that Demeco is that guy, if he is he needs to be more vocal and start ripping his guys if necessary. I know his style is to lead by example but not everyone responds to that, sometimes it takes a good ol' fashioned a** chewing to get people to respond. ...
I was reading recently that Ryans has become much more vocal and hasn't hesitated to call people out when they make a mistake. I think what you're complaining about needing to happenis happening.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #71
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by El cabezon View Post
Actually the Broncos got a sack on us, one of their defensive players leveled Sage.
My bad! Actually they had two on us!

One when neither Sage nor Taylor nor JJ realized that they were bringing the corner blitz.

Another one is when Boyd didn't realize that they brought a delayed LB blitz on top of the original 6 rushers.

In theory, they shouldn't happen.

And preparing the players for certain situation is more the responsible of the position coaches, IMO.
Old 08-23-2008   #72
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217648 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

The Cowboys have 3 sacks in the first 3 games. The Broncos have 5 in 3 games. The Saints have 5 sacks in 2 games.

We have 1 sack in 3 games. We're giving up 223 yards per game through the air in the preseason and our opposing QB rating is 90.6. (Of course, the teams with worse opposing QB ratings are the Giants, Saints, Chiefs, Browns, Broncos, Vikings, Cardinals, Steelers, and Cowboys.) But still... that's not good.

Believe it or not we're ranked 12th against the run right now. But some teams have only played 2 games.

But ultimately, it's not about what's happening this preseason. The animosity to Richard Smith didn't just magically appear because we're not getting any pressure on the QB this preseason. It's because we haven't been getting any pressure on the QB since he's been here. Our defense hasn't been good the past 2 seasons and so far this preseason, it doesn't look like that's going to change. I hope this is a case of preseason vanilla-itis but I'm afraid it isn't.

And I don't think it has anything to do with our talent level. I think we've got the players to play defense. I just don't think the players are being put onto the field or into the right positions or are being asked to do the right things.

But that's just me.

The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #73
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
The Cowboys have 3 sacks in the first 3 games. The Broncos have 5 in 3 games. The Saints have 5 sacks in 2 games.

We have 1 sack in 3 games. We're giving up 223 yards per game through the air in the preseason and our opposing QB rating is 90.6. (Of course, the teams with worse opposing QB ratings are the Giants, Saints, Chiefs, Browns, Broncos, Vikings, Cardinals, Steelers, and Cowboys.) But still... that's not good.

Believe it or not we're ranked 12th against the run right now. But some teams have only played 2 games.

But ultimately, it's not about what's happening this preseason. The animosity to Richard Smith didn't just magically appear because we're not getting any pressure on the QB this preseason. It's because we haven't been getting any pressure on the QB since he's been here. Our defense hasn't been good the past 2 seasons and so far this preseason, it doesn't look like that's going to change. I hope this is a case of preseason vanilla-itis but I'm afraid it isn't.

And I don't think it has anything to do with our talent level. I think we've got the players to play defense. I just don't think the players are being put onto the field or into the right positions or are being asked to do the right things.

But that's just me.

So, we are better than them in the pass D.
And we outgained them on the ground in each game we played.

So how does that makes our D worse than theirs?

Shouldn't their DCs got fired before Richard Smith?

(I was only half-serious there!)

But at any rate, that's the way we're playing so far on D under RS.
And I have already "predicted" that we will start bring more guys this year (but not the house, just a bit more than last year).

And the players have to adjust to that, so they need time .

Also, I believe that Gruden's defensive philosophy has been rush-4-base for a long time. And their D has been known to be quite stout for years.
Old 08-23-2008   #74
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:

But that's just me.

Zing!

chicken vs. egg

Carr vs. o-line

and the latest conundrum...

DC vs. players

DC gets my vote with a little player blame thrown in.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #75
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 45929 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
you have to feel bad for mario. hes the only one on D (line especially) kicking ass and its really counting for nothing. he hasnt got sacks but is consistently the only guy to get near the qbs (despite the double teams hes presumably facing-havent watched him individually too much). made plenty of nice run stops (that result in a 12 yard completion the next play) and generally forcing plays that are saving our asses (the FF and the romo int). he getting NO HELP. just rewatched the highlights on nfl.com (internet DVR!) and the 1st team DT's were getting killed.

ive always said dallas has the best o-line in the nfl for the last two years though so im not going to get inconsolably down...

also another thing to remember is our D has played very good offences in all 3games. dalllas and NO are both top 5 and denver is good too. we havent gotten any gimme game(v SF or vince and the titans!) to make them look good (which will be a good thing in the long run hopefully)

I guess I need to find a way to record the games and rewatch them.

I could have sworn that I saw Mario being man-handled by one Olineman quite often, most of the time actually.

He is the only #90 on the team isn't he?

I purposefully delayed posting to make sure I wasn't just venting or knee jerking. If I were a betting man, as some on this site seem to be, I would take the under.

SF or the Titans?.....don't know about SF .. but I didn't see anything to make me believe we can beat the Titans yet.

On the bright side...it should make Smith and Kubiaks job a lot easier. Just cut every third player on the roster. I think that will leave about 53 to suit up. I saw no standouts... possibly a couple of maybes.

On second thought....I really don't care to watch it again...

I think there is more to the Andre Johnson story than we are being told.

Old 08-23-2008   #76
ESAD2-14
TexanAmerican

Rep Power: 19109 ESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
I was reading recently that Ryans has become much more vocal and hasn't hesitated to call people out when they make a mistake. I think what you're complaining about needing to happenis happening.
I am not focusing on Demeco solely, I just brought him up because he seems to be the guy that everyone looks to on the defense. Hell he is my favorite player on the team, I have his jersey and was pretty darn excited when I found out we had actually drafted him in 06'. I wouldn't chalk it up to complaining as much as I would like to see someone step up and light a fire under our defense.

Now what I said about Richard Smith is complaining, no doubt about that. More then anything I was disappointed at seeing the same mistakes and weak defensive football we all have been watching over the past 3 years. Guess I just needed to get it off my chest like so many others. I hope that last nights abysmal performance was due to pre-season vanilla scheming and that when the real season starts Richard Smith shows us what he has been holding back. However, in the previous seasons, I have wanted that to happen as well and it never has.
Old 08-23-2008   #77
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 182645 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

This is how I've seen JJ carry the ball on numerous occasions........the point of the ball at right angles end on into the chest. Where is the coaching? Last year's photo........still this year's technique.

CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #78
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP

'I think there is more to the Andre Johnson story than we are being told.'

Cup, you are not the only one that is puzzled by all the mixed messages sent out about players status on the field- one person (Kubiak) says Studdard and Mario are having 'super' camps but posters don't see it in the results column. Too, the fans are getting a 'mixed' bag of signals regarding injuries.

Here's hoping we aren't bombarded and blind sided in the next 2 wks by the 'old' adage, "I know you think you understand what I said-but I don't think you realize that what I said is not what I meant..."
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #79
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 182645 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsip View Post
'I think there is more to the Andre Johnson story than we are being told.'

Cup, you are not the only one that is puzzled by all the mixed messages sent out about players status on the field- one person (Kubiak) says Studdard and Mario are having 'super' camps but posters don't see it in the results column. Too, the fans are getting a 'mixed' bag of signals regarding injuries.

Here's hoping we aren't bombarded and blind sided in the next 2 wks by the 'old' adage, "I know you think you understand what I said-but I don't think you realize that what I said is not what I meant..."
We must beware of the half truth. We may have gotten hold of the wrong half.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #80
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

It could be worse, at least we didn't get flat shut out like the Bengals (0-13 loss to Saints) or the Chiefs (0-24 vs. the Dolphins). And the Redskins just took a hay maker of a preseason loss (if there is such a thing) losing 47-3 against the Panthers. Ouch.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read