Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-23-2008   #41
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 223945 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Well, that was ugly as all hell

Next weeks game is a try out for the second stringers. We almost beat the Cowboys, and we won our first two games. Not bad, really, for pre-season. But I think we could do better.

I think our offense is good enough to sneak into the playoffs, but our defense is just not there yet.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #42
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Remember the game between these 2 teams in preseason last year in Reliant ? It was also the 3rd game in the preseason schedule so like last night was the most representitive effort of regular season form and as I recall the Texans on both sides of the ball were very evenly matched, very competitive with the Cowboys. Last night, certainly our D vs. their O starters was anything but that, as there clearly was a significant difference in talent level. I dunno, how we account for the difference, if there is anyway to do so in preseason games ?
On the other hand, I think our depth is better than its ever been. In all of the preseason games including last night, our second & third string personnel was atleast as talented as the other teams roster at that level. And we of all teams know the importance of depth over the long & gruelling 16 game NFL schedule.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #43
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Herv, you are hard to please.
We are 2-1, and coulda been 3-0 easily.

Wins will be what it takes to get us to the play-offs!
Didn't the Texans go 3-1 in the preseason before the 2-14 season?

Pre-season wins dont mean jack
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #44
Tedc
Hardheaded

Rep Power: 2838 Tedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Next weeks game is a try out for the second stringers. We almost beat the Cowboys, and we won our first two games. Not bad, really, for pre-season. But I think we could do better.

I think our offense is good enough to sneak into the playoffs, but our defense is just not there yet.
My sentiments exactly! I love the positive thinking.
Old 08-23-2008   #45
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post

Steve Slaton starts for me in week 1 against Pittsburgh. I just see him getting better faster than any of the other RB's. Chris Taylor finally showed us something and appears to be finally getting it together following his year off on IR. Darius Walker did what he always does which is grind out yards in an effective if unspectacular manner. We averaged better than 4 yards a carry tonight and while I'm still concerned with our RB's I'm not horrified at the prospect of going into the season with Slaton, Taylor, and Walker in that order. I've already cut Ahman Green in my mind and Chris Brown has given us absolutely nothing at this point. Does anyone know why he wasn't playing tonight? What part of his glass body isn't working today?

Brown developed back spasms again around 2 days ago........and they progressed rather than resolved up until game time. Bad sign for one position that is expected to "carry the team on his back," at least part of the time.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #46
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

JJ keeps on worrying me he should have caught that ball in the endzone.
Old 08-23-2008   #47
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 113949 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

We got man-handled by a bigger, tougher team.

Our defense has got to stop the run. The Steelers will run all over us on Sept. 7th.

I think I am beginning to fall into the Reeves sucks camp.

On a happy note, how bout that Slaton?

Duane Brown seemed to hold his own as well.
Old 08-23-2008   #48
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
I'm just getting real tierd of the bend AND break defence we field these days :I
You really shouldn't watch the Texans unless you have a pace-maker or few cases of beer on hand, LOL LOL!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #49
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

You're open for employment again already, Thorn?
Old 08-23-2008   #50
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

While the bad news is certainly true, I think there are a few things that we can attribute to the defense not getting any pass rush. One of the big things is I don't see too many exotic or off the wall blitzes (Think about the blitz that DeMeco did against the Titans last year that went up the gut and just destroyed Kerry Collins). Yes most of our linebackers are pretty slow in that reguard, but I don't think you want teams gameplanning us because we showed them our entire defense in the preseason.

Next up, yes Richard Smith sucks I will totally agree with that. Jacques Reeves looks to be a really bad signing that, for some unexplainable reason, will get trotted out with the first team with what appears to be more talent behind him on the depth chart. The safety play is mediocre right now and it doesn't look like they are much into covering receivers at all.

The Jones thing I think is premature and a lot of people will probably eat their words. The one preseason game where he doesn't fumble the ball and everybody is jumping his ass. I think he does have a problem getting seperation (unless there's some pass interference going on) on most DB's, but I think he's got enough tools to make catches when the balls are thrown to him. I think of him as a 3rd round pick that was going to take a few seasons to develop all the way. This is season 2.

What really bothers me the most is that it appears that there is plenty of talent on the depth chart but the coaches for whatever reason refuse to acknowledge it and instead want to trot out whomever the highest paid player is (Weaver, Reeves, Green/Brown, etc etc). That to me seems to point to an inability to admit a mistake.
Old 08-23-2008   #51
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
We got man-handled by a bigger, tougher team.

Our defense has got to stop the run. The Steelers will run all over us on Sept. 7th.

I think I am beginning to fall into the Reeves sucks camp.

On a happy note, how bout that Slaton?

Duane Brown seemed to hold his own as well.
We had 28 running plays to the girls' 27.
Both team averaged 4.1 per play in the ground game.

Their O-line are veterans with an average of 8 yr in service.
Ours' = 2 yr

Their front sevens = 7
Our front sevens = 5

We are young, and our fans are impatient, LOL!
Old 08-23-2008   #52
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post

This "loss" doesn't mean jack either!

Pre-season whinings, on the hand, can be as rampant as the last day of the earth!
Old 08-23-2008   #53
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 223945 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This "loss" doesn't mean jack either!

Pre-season whinings, on the hand, can be as rampant as the last day of the earth!

but....but.....if we can't whine and *****, it'll be no fun here!

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #54
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post

We went 1-3 that year and looked horrible in the preseason and that's what I kept saying it's just preseason. Some fans could tell the disaster that was going to be the 2005 season. Tonight our defense looked horrible. That being said it's not like it was the Dolphins(from last year) offense out there. Dallas has a very good offense and sometimes you have to give the offense a little credit. I'm not saying I'm not dissapointed in the defense because I am. Not only was the coverage bad but so was the tackling.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #55
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You really shouldn't watch the Texans unless you have a pace-maker or few cases of beer on hand, LOL LOL!
Beer... check!
Old 08-23-2008   #56
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We would also have to come up with rational reasons for drinking way too many beers during the season
Old 08-23-2008   #57
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
but...but....you been havin' too much here Thorn!
So what are you complaining about? LOL, LOL!
Old 08-23-2008   #58
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 630 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

And a bottle of anti-depressants.
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #59
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
We would also have to come up with rational reasons for drinking way too many beers during the season
My simple reason is that all these complaints make me depressed.
And that leads to --------------->
Old 08-23-2008   #60
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

I got a blood pressure headache last night. I need to save those for when it really counts.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read