Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-22-2008   #21
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 191772 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Well, that was ugly as all hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
hey, a nice time for a Chester Pitts appreciation moment................ok, back to forgetting about how steady and dependable he is. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
I think the only think wrong would be his names not Munchak , Mathews , Hannah , Allen , or Hutchinson .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008   #22
New_Texans
All Pro

Rep Power: 29 New_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
hey, a nice time for a Chester Pitts appreciation moment................ok, back to forgetting about how steady and dependable he is. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
I was thinking that as I watched the game lol.
Old 08-22-2008   #23
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Don't forget the Wendy's ad. That thing's already getting on my nerves.
Old 08-22-2008   #24
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm sitting here watching a replay of the game and Marion Barber is a beast!

Really...it's just preseason..the Texans are miles ahead of where they were just a few short years ago. They HAVE a QB now that can spread the ball around. They have great receivers. They're working on getting that running game going with some quality backs.

They have defensive issues obviously but they have the great player all defenses need in Mario. You build from there.

Ryans is top flight.

This team is pretty darn good.

They'll work out their defensive backfield issues. Their best player is gone right now back there. Get him back and you'll see immediate improvement!
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008   #25
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 40580 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
If the starters had stayed in the whole game I think Dallas would have hung 40 on us with ease. We looked pathetic tonight, particularly on the defensive side. Here's what I came away with from this mess.

Matt Schaub started out horrible and then was able to actually pull himself together and play at a high level consistently until he left the game. At the start of the game he was all over the place with his accuracy and he just looked to me like his head hadn't arrived at the stadium yet. I don't know what was up with that but once he settled down he reaffirmed my feelings from last week. He's the guy we want pulling the trigger back there. Following his 3 of 11 start he went 12 of 16 with a few dropped balls in there. Sage looked pretty damned average too but taking into consideration the supporting cast he was working with (excluding David Anderson and Darius Walker) I'm going to have to say that I am pleased with our QB's.

Steve Slaton starts for me in week 1 against Pittsburgh. I just see him getting better faster than any of the other RB's. Chris Taylor finally showed us something and appears to be finally getting it together following his year off on IR. Darius Walker did what he always does which is grind out yards in an effective if unspectacular manner. We averaged better than 4 yards a carry tonight and while I'm still concerned with our RB's I'm not horrified at the prospect of going into the season with Slaton, Taylor, and Walker in that order. I've already cut Ahman Green in my mind and Chris Brown has given us absolutely nothing at this point. Does anyone know why he wasn't playing tonight? What part of his glass body isn't working today?

Our offensive line didn't impress me much but I have to say that we didn't allow a sack which is impressive. Schaub was rushed a few times but he didn't go down and this was one of the better defenses we'll see (although I feel like we didn't get their best effort for obvious reasons). Their run blocking got better as the game progressed and I feel like I see progress there. I think they look ok and appear to be improving weekly.

On defense I am very concerned. Our DL is a worthless thing that comes at a very high price. They get no push, ever. No QB I've seen so far in preseason has even remotely looked bothered by them. If we can't get a pass rush out of them or stop a running back (it seems like everybody runs all over the Texans doesn't it?) then we are going to suck incredibly this year. Maurice Jones-Drew and Fred Taylor are going to destroy us and Peyton Manning will carve us to pieces. We might even make Vince Young look like he understands the passing game before this season is over at the rate we're going.

We look weak and we look soft. We look confused. Our defensive philosophy is not working no matter what Richard Smith says. This man can't do this job and somebody needs a reality check over there ASAP before we spend the next season getting our heads handed to us.

Our linebackers are missing at least one more quality starter like DeMeco. We already have Diles who is our lunch-pail guy who we also needed. Now we need someone to replace Moron Greenwood. He's our Achilles heel back there. As long as he's on the field we aren't going to get the play out of our linebackers that we need.

The secondary is just a joke. Reeves is terrible, Bennett played pretty horribly tonight, and Petey is still very much "Petey". Demps looked like he didn't care for the first time this preseason. Without Dunta (and more importantly a pass rush) we are in deep poo.

Finally on Jacoby Jones I just think he's a waste of a roster spot. He's a below average WR with above average speed. He's a fast PR guy who slings the ball around like it's a loaf of bread. You can look at this man's face and tell that he's got the maturity level of a high school player. He's not ready for the NFL and may never be. I think he's just the result of the Texans desire to create a "marquee player" out of him and I wouldn't even have him making the team if Williams hadn't been hurt. Now we keep him but he won't make it out of camp next year. He was a gamble and that gamble went bust.

Next week I could care less what happens as long as we don't get anybody hurt.

I agree with the majority of what you said, and I'm pretty pissed at Jacoby Jones, but I'm not ready to give up on in just yet. The guy is still young. Let the coaches chew his ass for anothe year before we cut him.
Big Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008   #26
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

wheres 3TP?
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008   #27
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 64840 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I would like to take this time to apologize for any negative comment I've ever made about Chester Pitts and/or Fred Weary. In my ignorance, I didn't realize how bad that position could look until tonight- I discount the '02 and '05 season for reasons beyond understanding.

Also, Weaver in coverage at least 4 plays, limping after ball carriers pretty much legitimizes every call for Richard Smith's job... Unless this was a last tryout for him to see if he could make the sqaud. If Weaver doesn't get cut or buried on the bench by week one, something is seriously wrong with this organization which I LOVE and respect!
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-22-2008   #28
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 191772 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

OK ... what happened to Chris Brown ? Anybody else ready to go with the youth movement ?

Round Dan
Old 08-22-2008   #29
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 64840 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
OK ... what happened to Chris Brown ? Anybody else ready to go with the youth movement ?
sure, but we're going with 4 Hbs so he's likely going to make the roster along with Taylor, Slaton, and Green.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008   #30
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

All I can say is tonights 1st half made it tough to stay on the wagon(sobriety wagon , I am already firmly planted on the Texan wagon)
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008   #31
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
sure, but we're going with 4 Hbs so he's likely going to make the roster along with Taylor, Slaton, and Green.
I'd take Walker over Brown and Green . Note to the FO ... no more RBs who have a name that's a color .

On the same note Molden over Reeves , Adibi over Greenwood , Cochran over Weaver .

Round Dan
Old 08-22-2008   #32
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think Brown was sharing a smoothie and a massage with Ahman Green tonight.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008   #33
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
I think Brown was sharing a smoothie and a massage with Ahman Green tonight.
A smoothie/ groin massage parlor .

Round Dan
Old 08-22-2008   #34
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Slaton and Taylor looked good tonight, but after last year when JJ came storming out of the gates in preseason, then started his downward spiral once the season began, I 'm just hesitant to say Taylor and Slaton (or anybody for that matter) are the fixes we've been hoping for. Let's see how they do in the first four weeks of the season. But for now, they looked pretty good.
Old 08-23-2008   #35
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 40580 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Lets just hope that once all the peices come together it makes us better. Heres what I hope is happening to make us better:

1. AJ will be utilized. Keep in mind he wasn't even used in the game, he's a game changer so hopefulle in the regular season he's kicking ass and taking names. He represents 9.5 points a game wether he scores them or someone else does.

2. Either the running backs are playing better or the line is getting better at the ZBS. (It look like the RB's were playing better because it looked hit or miss on the line to me, but I don't coach for a living.) The back ups look better than the depth chart starters.

3. We were plus in turn over category. (Thank God)

4. Special Teams Play is still above average.

5. QB's are playing at a high level. Schaub was rattled, but pulled it together. The WR's are studs. Kevin Walter is a bad ass.

Hopefully the whole is better than the sum of its parts!!!!!!! Thats my optimistic point of veiw!!!

Big Lou
Big Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #36
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

Throwing this out there but do you think we aren't playing up to our full potential on D during the preseason since we will not play any of these teams during the regular season. I know the Smith sucks but just maybe we aren't trying to show everything right now since its preseason. I know on the radio the Cowboys talked about unleashing their offense tonight and they said they where holding back during the other games. Hey just a thought.
LonerATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #37
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonerATO View Post
Throwing this out there but do you think we aren't playing up to our full potential on D during the preseason since we will not play any of these teams during the regular season. I know the Smith sucks but just maybe we aren't trying to show everything right now since its preseason. I know on the radio the Cowboys talked about unleashing their offense tonight and they said they where holding back during the other games. Hey just a thought.
the big difference is that the Cowboys flash dominance while in cruise control...we just flash poor tackling and soft coverage while we are coastin'.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #38
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

I am in complete agreement with you about the tackling tonight
LonerATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #39
Arky
Veteran

Rep Power: 2327 Arky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
McClain reported (unoffically) that Chris Brown needed to have water drained from a knee....

I vote "yes" for the youth movement.
Arky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #40
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm just getting real tierd of the bend AND break defence we field these days :I

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read