Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-22-2008   #21
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx
Default Re: If Slaton isn't starting week 1

I like Slaton, but if he startss against Pittsburgh with Lebeau and the zone blitz, Schuab wil be knocked out the game.
leebigeztx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008   #22
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 69969 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I want Taylor to start. He's more of a banger to me and there were at least 4 plays that I went back and rewinded to see who it was picking up the blitz, it was Taylor. He will keep schaub upright I think. Slaton looked good, don't get me wrong. Taylor is just a little better prepared in the pass protection it looks like but Slaton may just be the answer to our question.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008   #23
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post
the run to the right when Slaton stiff armed Roy "Horsecollar" Williams and put his helmet into Adam "make it rain" Jones was uber sweet.
Who said he wasn't physical? Slaton push Williams down like he was a 5 year old nancy boy.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008   #24
ChrisG
Road Fan

Rep Power: 6268 ChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtbound07 View Post
I will eat my texans hat live on webcam.
i hope they sit him for the 1st play only so i can see this
Old 08-22-2008   #25
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 21478 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

So here's my starting RB Line up:

Steve "1st Team" Slaton
Darius Walker
Chris Taylor (RB/FB)
Chris Brown (Just because he's younger than Green and knows the ZBS)

Bu Bye Ahman Green!!!!!!

Walker played like he was 15 lbs. heavier than last year. He ran hard for a little guy.

I thought Walker played well last yearbut I wasn't high on him last year, but I think he earned a spot compared to Brown and Green.
Big Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008   #26
euro-Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1541 euro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

The thingaboutSlatton that impressed me was that he seems to understand the scheme. He was patient and quick once the holes opened up. If he isn't our week 1 starter than we're in trouble. Give Slatten the ball!
Old 08-23-2008   #27
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I will honestly say when I saw him run he looked better than someone that was trying to run the ball last week against us and with out all the "once in a generation" hype

but I won't mention the name

also on Slaton... anyone that has watched him, how does he look out of the backfield catching passes.. I know practice is different but wondering still because i don't recall the Texans using him yet like that
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-23-2008   #28
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 94442 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19 View Post
I like the way he protected the ball on his long burst, just as he was being hit.
I noticed that too, nice to see from a rookie.
Old 08-23-2008   #29
Chicagotexan1
Hall of Fame

Location: In a van down by the river next to another van down by the river
Rep Power: 52 Chicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19 View Post
I like the way he protected the ball on his long burst, just as he was being hit.
Yeah, it's hard not to notice that. He wraps it up pretty good. He put a nice little stiff arm on someone too. I'd be confident w/ Stalon, Taylor & Walker. Attorneys at Law.
Old 08-23-2008   #30
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79098 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

If we can land Duckett after he gets cut he and Slaton could be a deadly combo.
The1ApplePie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #31
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Slaton appears to be our guy for the future, but he doesn't necessarily have to start..... at least not yet anyway. Taylor serves his purpose as the banger to wear the defense down but he's no game breaker like SS. Our biggest run plays were by SS against 1st teamers. Walker deserves a spot on the roster as a kevin faulk type just b/c he's done nothing but what kubes & company have asked him to do & has looked good doing it too. Split the carries between those 3 with SS & Taylor getting the bulk.

At this point i'd be ok if Green & brown were cut & we rolled with the young guys. If you count shipp, I think those 4 young RB's are enough to get the job done.
Mr teX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #32
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I hadn't watched the whole game yet, but it looks like Chris Taylor had just as good a game. From what little bit I did watch, From the Play-by-Play, and if an earlier poster is correct, and Taylor did a fine job picking up the Blitz.... I don't see Slayton starting.

an interesting observation.....
looks like they threw Slaton the ball once, and only once.
looks like they threw it to Taylor once, and only once.
looks like they threw Walker the ball twice

Isn't our RBs supposed to be a part of our passing game?? WCO and all... I would have thought the coaches would have liked to see a little more of that.
Old 08-23-2008   #33
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I hadn't watched the whole game yet, but it looks like Chris Taylor had just as good a game. From what little bit I did watch, From the Play-by-Play, and if an earlier poster is correct, and Taylor did a fine job picking up the Blitz.... I don't see Slayton starting.

an interesting observation.....
looks like they threw Slaton the ball once, and only once.
looks like they threw it to Taylor once, and only once.
looks like they threw Walker the ball twice

Isn't our RBs supposed to be a part of our passing game?? WCO and all... I would have thought the coaches would have liked to see a little more of that.
Taylor longest run of the night.....7 yds against the 1st team.
Slaton longest run of the night....20 yds against the 1st team & i believe he had 2 of those. He's also the only RB of ours to break 6-10 yarders at a pretty good clip throughout the preseason.

Slaton's average for this game would also be higher if Studdard hadn't gotten him blown up twice. This week & last shows that Slaton should be at minimum splitting carries with Taylor. He's forcing his way into the lineup b/c no one else has shown anything else. i believe this excuse of him not being able to pick up on the pass protection is way overblown b/c he somewhat knows the system from WVU. Plus, Kubes is kidding himself if he thinks that Taylor isn't gonna slip up & get Schaub decleated. Aside from all that the kid can just flat out run........end of story.

Last edited by Mr teX; 08-23-2008 at 10:29 AM.
Mr teX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #34
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33817 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Cut Green now!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-23-2008   #35
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Already there's not too much doubt that Slaton is the best pure runner of our
backs, but especially in the NFL there's other considerations for your starting
Tailback. But this is another very good value pick Rick Smith has made in the NFL
Draft.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #36
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Rep Power: 159 WesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Ok, I agree, I wanna see him starting, but knowing kubiak i feel like he might make hime sit out a couple starts and bring him in off the bench for the first couple games. I hope he doesnt, but we'll see.

Thanks Texan Rocky and Brando for the Avatar and Sig!
WesmanTexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #37
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33817 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
If we can land Duckett after he gets cut he and Slaton could be a deadly combo.
Look out if this happens!!!!!!!!
Old 08-23-2008   #38
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesmanTexanfan View Post
Ok, I agree, I wanna see him starting, but knowing kubiak i feel like he might make hime sit out a couple starts and bring him in off the bench for the first couple games. I hope he doesnt, but we'll see.
I wouldn't mind that, since our first four games is against some of the best/nastiest defenses in the NFL. I rather let Taylor get pounded in those games, and keep our one and only bright spot at RB alive in those coming weeks.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #39
treygar
Veteran

Rep Power: 8 treygar is on the Pro-Bowl ballottreygar is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Eh, I'm learning more and more to appreciate a two back system.

I'm honestly ok with a Taylor/Slaton combo given the fact that Green will never be healthy for more than five snaps, and Brown is a hack - and our defense is obviously gonna stink so might as well try some unproven backs.

Gotta keep Leach as a lead blocker.

Though we didn't see him play, I think Schipp is a good goal line back should we need a goal line back, so that should be our four RB's -

Taylor/Slaton/Leach/Schipp.

With any luck Darius Walker can clear waivers and come back to the PS.
Old 08-23-2008   #40
gary
Hall of Fame

Agreed.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read