Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 08-22-2008   #1
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 255440 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Peyton Manning's Return May Not Be So Imminent

According to one well-respected blogger, there's some fishy stuff going on with Manning's recovery, and a second surgery that wasn't disclosed. When asked about it, Dungy neither confirmed nor denied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Lombardi via blog
I talked to several people in the NFL yesterday who know things and they assure me that Peyton Manning’s knee is a huge concern for the Colts. Apparently Manning had to go through another procedure on his knee to clean things out after having his bursa sac removed last month. What is the most concerning is not the second operation (which the Colts are denying), but that they cannot control the swelling in Manning’s knee and any physical movement causes MORE swelling. Once he returns to the game, gets hit, has to place a load on the knee, and drive the ball, there can be swelling. All I know is that there is MUCH more here than meets the eye. Manning has the trainer come over to HIS home for rehab and is rarely seen. Now, I have been with some big-time quarterbacks in my career like Joe Montana and Rich Gannon and never have they rehabbed from home. I thought this was not an issue and that Manning would be back. However, after talking to my friends in the league, it’s clear that this is a HUGE concern short- and long-term for the Colts.
Link to Blog

So ... just a blog entry so far, but worth watching.

BTW, the blog author probably has a few connections and decent info. Here's his bio:

Quote:
Michael Lombardi

* 23 years as a high level executive in the NFL
* 12 years in the NFL Playoffs
* 5 Conference Championship games
* 2 Super Bowls: Win (1984) Loss (2003)
* 26 years of professionally evaluating football players (college & pro)
* Host, CBS Sports “NFL Pregame Show”
* Has worked with the San Francisco 49ers, Cleveland Browns, Oakland Raiders, Philadelphia Eagles, and the Denver Broncos
* Talent and writer for Sports Illustrated, NFL Network and SI.com
* Author, MichaelLombardi.com, a blog becoming well‐known in insider circles
I wonder if Kubiak knows him?

Last edited by eriadoc; 08-22-2008 at 12:07 PM.
eriadoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008   #2
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Peyton Manning's Return May Not Be So Imminent

I know this isn't good sportsmanship, but I'm still not too upset that the injury
bug which has wrecked hovoc on our roster in recent years has bitten one of our divison rivals.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008   #3
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 255440 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I know this isn't good sportsmanship, but I'm still not too upset that the injury
bug which has wrecked hovoc on our roster in recent years has bitten one of our divison rivals.
Don't tell anyone, but I'm with ya

Besides, according to TexansChick, Manning has a deal with the devil anyway
Old 08-22-2008   #4
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

There's also some rumblings about Shawne Merriman's knee injury being more serious than the Chargers have suggested. I believe there was a blog entry or rumor about him considering surgery.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008   #5
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Don't tell anyone, but I'm with ya

That deal only covered him winning a superbowl. Now that he has won one it is time to pay the piper.
Old 08-22-2008   #6
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 355985 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I would never revel in a player's injury...but...uhhh....I can't say that I'd be too upset to play a Manning-less Colts.

I'm just sayin'...
Old 08-22-2008   #7
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 54609 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

I read somewhere, can't remember where - but there are good odds it was in one of TexanChick's blogs - that the bursa sac provides the lubrication to the knee. When it is removed, you end up with bone on bone contact and arthritis ensues. This does not sound good for the longevity of Peyton's career.
Old 08-22-2008   #8
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I want to be very PC here, but:

Can I start calling him a bust now?

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008   #9
Lucky

Rep Power: 172599 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
BTW, the blog author probably has a few connections and decent info. Here's his bio:
Lombardi is a younger version of Charley Casserly. He's burnt so many bridges with NFL teams, he's turned to the media. He's also on SI.com & did a lot of draft stuff on NFL Network. Prior to getting the boot from Al Davis, Forbes listed Lombardi as the worst GM in pro sports. But as you say, he has connections and that's what we're looking for in a rumor mill.

Everyone is penciling in the Colts as a playoff team. Understandable, as Indy has gone to the playoffs 8 of the past 9 seasons. But, it's not just Manning who is in doubt for this season. Freeney is coming off a serious foot injury. Sanders has a chronic shoulder injury. Harrison is coming off an injury marred season, entering his 13th year in the league.

While Manning is a must, these other players in question are also needed. And playing one of the toughest schedules in football, inside the leagues toughest division, the Colts are no longer a playoff lock. If they do make it in, it will be by having to play to win all the way to the last week. Not putting it in cruise control for the last 2 or 3 games.

Indy is the King of the AFC South, going 24-8 in the division and winning very title since 2003. But, they've never been more vulnerable as now. Every team in the division has been tooled to beat the Colts. Every team in the division is more physical than the Colts. Every team in the division is hungrier than the Colts. In 2008, the King will be dead. Who will wear the crown?
Old 08-22-2008   #10
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Lombardi is a younger version of Charley Casserly. He's burnt so many bridges with NFL teams, he's turned to the media. He's also on SI.com & did a lot of draft stuff on NFL Network. Prior to getting the boot from Al Davis, Forbes listed Lombardi as the worst GM in pro sports. But as you say, he has connections and that's what we're looking for in a rumor mill.

Everyone is penciling in the Colts as a playoff team. Understandable, as Indy has gone to the playoffs 8 of the past 9 seasons. But, it's not just Manning who is in doubt for this season. Freeney is coming off a serious foot injury. Sanders has a chronic shoulder injury. Harrison is coming off an injury marred season, entering his 13th year in the league.

While Manning is a must, these other players in question are also needed. And playing one of the toughest schedules in football, inside the leagues toughest division, the Colts are no longer a playoff lock. If they do make it in, it will be by having to play to win all the way to the last week. Not putting it in cruise control for the last 2 or 3 games.

Indy is the King of the AFC South, going 24-8 in the division and winning very title since 2003. But, they've never been more vulnerable as now. Every team in the division has been tooled to beat the Colts. Every team in the division is more physical than the Colts. Every team in the division is hungrier than the Colts. In 2008, the King will be dead. Who will wear the crown?
I don't know, but VY will get drunk with a bunch of guys and wear the rest of the outfit.

Old 08-22-2008   #11
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

As funny as it sounds, I've always thought the same thing.

I think everyone knows my stance on this is the link below:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...ctive%26sa%3DN
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008   #12
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Okay so I've given it some thought. You know how the NFL is already giving you an early indication they want a Manning vs. Manning SuperBowl? My thinking is that whatever team takes out Peyton for the year will have to pay that price and that price may come at a playoffs cost.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008   #13
Blazing Arrow
Work'n da grill

Rep Power: 258 Blazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Blazing Arrow

Someone that knows photoshop needs to make an 'official' Colts walker.

RIP Steve ... you showed us what a warrior truly is.
Blazing Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008   #14
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Okay so I've given it some thought. You know how the NFL is already giving you an early indication they want a Manning vs. Manning SuperBowl? My thinking is that whatever team takes out Peyton for the year will have to pay that price and that price may come at a playoffs cost.
Don't worry. Haynesworth will do it.

Old 08-22-2008   #15
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 272221 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post
I read somewhere, can't remember where - but there are good odds it was in one of TexanChick's blogs - that the bursa sac provides the lubrication to the knee. When it is removed, you end up with bone on bone contact and arthritis ensues. This does not sound good for the longevity of Peyton's career.
It would eventually end up bone to bone, as the bone wears away the cartildge(sp). It shouldn't be bone to bone right now, and something else is causing the swelling...

As a side note, this is not the way I want to win the division. I want to beat the best at their best..

But hey, you gotta play the hand you're dealt right??
Old 08-22-2008   #16
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Peyton is tough as nails. He won't let it hurt their chances, Im afraid
Old 08-22-2008   #17
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Peyton has been a GREAT HOF player. He'll be missed when he retires whether that's due to injury or age..who knows that but he's one of those players years from now you'll be glad you saw playing.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008   #18
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1284 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Even if Harrison, Sanders and Freeney are healthy, a Peyton-less Colt outfit looks an awful lot like a 5-11 team. I don't think a single player in the league--Brady included--means more to his team than Manning does.

If Peyton indeed made a deal with the devil, then Lucifer was awfully nice to throw in as a bonus Eli ruining the Patsies' perfect season the very next season. It's not like the Prince of Darkness to give out such freebies. Maybe it was a package deal.
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008   #19
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 273484 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
It would eventually end up bone to bone, as the bone wears away the cartildge(sp). It shouldn't be bone to bone right now, and something else is causing the swelling...

As a side note, this is not the way I want to win the division. I want to beat the best at their best..

But hey, you gotta play the hand you're dealt right??
We've played for the last few years with just insane injuries. I'm afraid "the best" has rarely if ever faced us at our best so I'm not going to give them even a tiny bit of pity and I'll take the division any way I can get it.
Old 08-22-2008   #20
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 273484 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooston Texan View Post
Even if Harrison, Sanders and Freeney are healthy, a Peyton-less Colt outfit looks an awful lot like a 5-11 team. I don't think a single player in the league--Brady included--means more to his team than Manning does.

If Peyton indeed made a deal with the devil, then Lucifer was awfully nice to throw in as a bonus Eli ruining the Patsies' perfect season the very next season. It's not like the Prince of Darkness to give out such freebies. Maybe it was a package deal.
He didn't. He did it to taunt Peyton who had to sit there and watch his little brother do what he couldn't.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read