Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-21-2008   #1
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP
Default feedback on Ahman Green contract

I remember a post that said Green is due some serious $$ if he is on the opening day roster. One poster said the remaining $$ of his contract would be guaranteed. If this is true, what do you all think? Our return so far has not been good in terms of results versus money, and there must be something to not playing him the rest of pre-season.

JMO, but it bothers me that he has played very little the last year for us and then goes down on his 1ST play without even being touched.

...someone know the $$ we're talking about?

Last edited by tsip; 08-21-2008 at 04:55 PM.
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #2
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: feedback on Ahman Green contract

Here are Ahman Green's contract details, per Rotoworld:

Quote:
3/4/2007: Signed a four-year, $23 million contract. The deal included a $5 million signing bonus.
2008: $3.8 million (+ $500,000 roster bonus + $200,000 workout bonus)
2009: $4.8 million ($500,000 roster bonus + $200,000 workout bonus)
2010: $4.3 million ($500,000 roster bonus + $200,000 workout bonus)
2011: Free Agent
I seriously doubt Green sees those '09 &'10 salaries.

This is my take (from another thread) on why Green will be kept on the opening day roster. Again, it's not something I necessarily agree with. But, I can understand why Kubiak wants Green around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I don't think Gary Kubiak's decision to stick by Ahman Green has anything to do with the running game. He trusts that Gibbs could get enough from the other backs to keep defense honest. I believe what's driving the move to stay with Green is Kubiak's lack of confidence in Brown, Taylor, and Slaton in picking up the blitz.

Matt Schaub needs to stay on the field, and Green is a proven pass blocker. The teams the Texans face early bring tremendous pressure on the QB. Not to mention that the Texans are starting a rookie at LT and have, other than Chester Pitts, a young offensive line. Green is Schaub's (and Kubiak's) security blanket.
Old 08-21-2008   #3
KEYE SUX
Veteran

Rep Power: 9 KEYE SUX was voted MVPKEYE SUX was voted MVPKEYE SUX was voted MVP

I've said it once and I'll say it again. Green needs to wear a mask and gun when he picks up his paycheck. He is robbing us big time. I never understood why we threw thatkind of $$ for him anyways. CUT HIM AND BE DONE
KEYE SUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #4
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 396 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected

4.5 million dollars for a pass-blocker who might play six games? I mean, I see the logic but I think it's an atrocity.
Old 08-21-2008   #5
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

I got a solution for it all.

Cook got arrested. Ahman is injured after trying to run for five yards. Ahman can play backup FB.

Jk. Sorta.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #6
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
3/4/2007: Signed a four-year, $23 million contract. The deal included a $5 million signing bonus.
2008: $3.8 million (+ $500,000 roster bonus + $200,000 workout bonus)
2009: $4.8 million ($500,000 roster bonus + $200,000 workout bonus)
2010: $4.3 million ($500,000 roster bonus + $200,000 workout bonus)
2011: Free Agent
Any idea what part is salary vs. guaranteed money? Unless Green stays healthy for 16 games and plays very well, I can't see him being on the rost in '09 or '10. But isn't something like $6.5million of the $23 million guaranteed? Depending on how much is already guaranteed vs. what is purely salary on this next year and beyond will be a huge factor. Not to mention that his Roster spot could be invaluable.

EDIT: The $5 million signing bonus... is that part of his guaranteed portion or is it seperate alltogether?
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #7
KEYE SUX
Veteran

Green can't protect the QB when he is on the sidelines. He has played only 25 games in the last 3 years
Sponsored links
Old 08-21-2008   #8
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90172 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsip View Post
I remember a post that said Green is due some serious $$ if he is on the opening day roster. One poster said the remaining $$ of his contract would be guaranteed. If this is true, what do you all think? Our return so far has not been good in terms of results versus money, and there must be something to not playing him the rest of pre-season.

JMO, but it bothers me that he has played very little the last year for us and then goes down on his ST play without even being touched.

...someone know the $$ we're talking about?
The guarantee is definitely true. As a vested veteran (a player with more than 4 years of service), his base salary for the entire season is guaranteed if he's on the roster opening day. This isn't a function of Green's contract, but rather it applies to any player in the NFL with a long enough tenure.
Old 08-21-2008   #9
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 396 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
The guarantee is definitely true. As a vested veteran (a player with more than 4 years of service), his base salary for the entire season is guaranteed if he's on the roster opening day. This isn't a function of Green's contract, but rather it applies to any player in the NFL with a long enough tenure.
I think he meant the rest of the contract as in next year and beyond but I don't believe that is the case.
Old 08-21-2008   #10
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 287939 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

If Green was healthy and able to play, there'd be no discussion of who is the best RB on the Texans, because it would be Green by a mile. But since he's rarely healthy, we are having this discussion.

Personally, I think he's washed up. If he stays on the roster we'll get a few good games from him, and then it'll be over forever as far as his NFL career goes.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #11
KEYE SUX
Veteran

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts...we'd all have a Merry Christmas
Old 08-21-2008   #12
TexansMVP
Probowler

I've been trying to stay pretty optimistic with Green's situation but this eerily reminds me of the Dominic Davis situation from back in the days.

I kept waiting and waiting for his return while I kept listening and listening to our front office but we all saw how that turned out.

Don't let me down again Ahman.
TexansMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #13
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 14238 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

ya'll leave green alone, he'll be OK (financially)
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264424 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

So if the Texans cut him before opening day, Green would cost $3.75 million against the cap. Since he'll be cut after June 1st, we could split that cost over two years(unless we've already done so with two other players) and that would cost us..... $1.8 million against the cap.

If he is on the roster, and gets his salary, plus Workout bonus, plus roster bonus, he'll cost us $4.8 million??

I'd cut him, because I think he's taking us for a ride. If Kubiak is convinced that he isn't, and he would know, being much closer to "the player" that's fine, and I'll take his word for it.

But if Marcell Ship has shown any capability of being able to pass protect, Green would be gone. If he hasn't.... then why in the heck did we bring him in here!

But that's just me.
Old 08-21-2008   #15
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Here are Ahman Green's contract details, per Rotoworld:

I seriously doubt Green sees those '09 &'10 salaries.

This is my take (from another thread) on why Green will be kept on the opening day roster. Again, it's not something I necessarily agree with. But, I can understand why Kubiak wants Green around.
I never thought about that, but what you speak actually makes a little sense...
Old 08-21-2008   #16
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

What puzzles me is that Kubiak keeps saying Green tells him he is fine, will be OK come the season opener. Why would Greens promises, which strike me as nothing more than wishful thinking given his history here, reassure anyone least of all the HC who has now been let down by him for the second straight year ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #17
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 216190 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
What puzzles me is that Kubiak keeps saying Green tells him he is fine, will be OK come the season opener. Why would Greens promises, which strike me as nothing more than wishful thinking given his history here, reassure anyone least of all the HC who has now been let down by him for the second straight year ?

Come the season opener, I'm not convinced that Green is punching a Texans Ticket. It seem that most everyone is taking for granted that Green is in because of "hints" thrown out by Kubiak and others. Let me then ask, how many other "hints" have we bitten on in the past, even the recent past?
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #18
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP

We better hope that Green and AJ and Pitts can 'suddenly' play when the season starts and don' t go down to re-injury for a lack of playing time.

I too wonder about the mixed messages we get from Kubiak on these players--one day they can't play/one day they can/one day it's just s slight groin pull/next day they won't play the entire preseason, etc.,etc......Sorry, but these guys haven't played in months! Do we have a b/u plan to replace them?
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #19
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 287939 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Neither Green or Brown will do a lot for us this season, most of the carries in 2008 will be by other RBs. To bad, because those two were good in their time, but their time is past. Another year of musical running backs is in front of us.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #20
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 4279 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

How much will he cost us once he is on IR?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read