Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-21-2008   #81
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 28177 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Do You Like the Name Texans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellerLotYeller View Post
Great name.....very classic feel to it. The other suggestions back in "01 sounded like arena league crap.
I am not originally from Texas, but have been here for over 20 years and I love Texans.
I love the colors and I love the logo.

Apollos??? With a squatty little space ship as the logo? No way. Sounds like a junior high school team.
Old 08-21-2008   #82
Giant Tiger
Hall of Fame

Location: Smiths Falls, Heart of the Rideau Canal-UNESCO World Heritage Site
Rep Power: 9888 Giant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respected
Thumbs up Re: Do You Like the Name Texans?

I think it's great! I really like the logo, too
Giant Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #83
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grams View Post
Apollos??? With a squatty little space ship as the logo? No way. Sounds like a junior high school team.
I'm pretty sure every nickname in any sport probably sounds like a junior high team.

Ravens. Lions. Rockets. Raptors. Bears.

That said, I like ours. Not my favorite, but it doesn't really matter anyway. I care more about the team than I do the name.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #84
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 4279 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm a Texan!

Old 08-21-2008   #85
atxlaurie
Rookie

Rep Power: 9 atxlaurie is a Pro Bowleratxlaurie is a Pro Bowler

When I was a kid, we used to have GO TEXAN DAY at school in the Spring during Texas Independence usually celebrated on March 2nd. It was all about State pride. Don't know if the schools still celebrate it, but I always felt a little extra special that day and knew my state was special too.

I love the name! And if cowgirl fans hate it, that makes it even better!

GO TEXANS!
atxlaurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #86
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
Let me share a little story,

I was living in Oregon when Houston got a new team. I'm born and raised in Texas and had been living in Oregon for about a year. I absolutely loved it there, one of the most beautiful places on earth. But I couldn't get past the fact that it wasn't my home. When I came home to visit I went to a souvenier shop and bought one of those little 2" x 3" Texas flags and when I got back to Oregon I put it on my car. I was proud to be from Texas. I loved Oregon but I wasn't from there. I was from Texas. I would often meet people who would ask me about the sticker. They'd say things like "isn't that the Texas flag on your car?" or "I've never seen anyone with a flag of their state on their car."

You could travel all over this country and not find a single other state that is as recognized by it's "statehood" than Texas. New York is defined by it's metropolis New York City. California by L.A. and California girls, Floriday by, well, kind of by it's "limp" shape and Disneyworld, beaches etc.

More people recognize the state flag and the actual shape of this state than any other. Hands down.

To be Texan absolutely means something. It means something more than being from any other state in the nation. I would go so far as to say it is in fact the only state that could be recognized as being defined by it's existance as much as anything. Not by a major city or cities in our case, but by the state it self.

Being a "Texan" meant something to me, especially when I was living in another state. When our new name was selected I couldn't have been happier... the apallos? seriously, Toro's? is this area football?

I challenge you to consider what it would be like for the other teams in the leauge. There is only one team that makes sense:

Pittsburgh Pennsylvanians ?
Indianapolis Indianans?
Jacksonville Floridians?
New York New Yorkers
and the
Houston Texans

maybe it doesn't mean anything to you, but it does to me.
Yoo Hoo!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008   #87
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

I was thinking, even though we have all these big cities in Texas we're still defined more by our statehood than the cities that make it up.

I just looked it up. Texas has 3 of the top 10 biggest cities in the country and 5 in the top 20 if you consider Fort Worth!

California has 4.

What's crazy to me is that despite all those big cities, people that are from outside of Texas still think of us as "Texans" as a whole more so that Houstonians, Dallas(ians?), San Antonians, Austinites, etc. I don't even know what Dallas residents are called! and it's the 9th largest city in the U.S.!

Outside of Texas, people will know the cities that we're talking about but they personify Texans as something specific.

Really is quite amazing.

Also, I can't help but think that "Texans" sounds like something that's not a flash in the pan kind of WNFLX or whatever kind of name. I mean, Texans have been around for a while.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-22-2008   #88
YellerLotYeller
nice marmot

Rep Power: 188 YellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't even know what Dallas residents are called! and it's the 9th largest city in the U.S.!
Doosh Bags...
YellerLotYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008   #89
sbalderrama

Quote:
Outside of Texas, people will know the cities that we're talking about but they personify Texans as something specific.
Seriously. My wife and I moved down to Houston from Colorado a couple of years ago, same time as Kubiak actually. Until we really visited the hill country and gulf coast, for all I knew all of Texas looked like El Paso. I think thats what most people in the rest of the country tend to think.

Thats one area where it might have been nice to have a less generic name then "Texans" to help "market" Houston somehow. Unfortunately all the name you'd want to use to describe the interesting things about Houston arn't exactly tough football names, and the space theme has been overdone. Houston Bayou? Houston Pine Oaks? Houston Humidity? Houston (traffic) Jam? Houston Flood? Houston Foodies? Houston Green?

Wait... coulda gone with a name that strikes fear in the hearts of everyone.... Houston Roaches.
Old 08-22-2008   #90
keyser
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24723 keyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respected

OK, this is going to come across as harsh, so I need to first verify that yes, I am a Texans fan (more than a Cowboys fan), and have been for the last couple of years.

When the Texans' name was picked, I was a Cowboys fan. I hated the name, mainly because I thought it was presumptuous. Like others have said, the name "Texans" means something, and I found it annoying that an upstart team with no history was trying to claim some sort of representation of the whole state, especially given the fact that there was already a highly successful team with strong support across the entire state. Just like lots of people get annoyed at the Cowboys being called "America's team", when they don't really represent most of America, I was annoyed at the Houston team calling itself the "Texans" when they didn't represent most of Texas. And, I know that the name doesn't mean they claim to represent all Texans (nor was it the first team in Texas with the name), but it really rubbed me wrong.

The name has grown on me, but overall, I still think they would have been better off to choose a different name - something that represented the city, or something more general.
keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008   #91
keyser
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24723 keyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What's crazy to me is that despite all those big cities, people that are from outside of Texas still think of us as "Texans" as a whole more so that Houstonians, Dallas(ians?), San Antonians, Austinites, etc.
That's very true in general, but I did have one very different experience. I was in a city in China a few years back talking with some students with only limited English skills. They asked where I was from, and when I told them Texas, they had no idea where/what that was (eventually they understood it was a state...). But, then they asked me what NBA team was nearby(!). When I told them Houston, it was clear they thought I was from the greatest city in the U.S. - they were incredibly excited...

So, should you ever be in China (at least as long as Yao is playing here), you might actually want to mention you're from Houston .
keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008   #92
Koolaid Time
Drink Up!

Rep Power: 1346 Koolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I'm not particularly fond of it. The logo and colors rock but the name is pretty unimaginative. I would have preferred to have been able to keep the name Oilers with possibly some updated colors and/or logo but since that wasn't an option I can live with what we have.
One thing I don't understand..... Cleveland got to keep the "Browns" name/colors/logo after they were moved to Baltimore.

Harris County or the NFL should have made that sub-humanoid Bud Adams leave the name "Oilers" along with the logos, etc. with Houston as well when he left to go chase possums in Nashville.
Koolaid Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008   #93
2BCF
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24608 2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected

I like the Texans name, woulda preferred the old Oilers name but I'm certain Bud would have wanted a pretty penny for those rights.
2BCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008   #94
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Actually, I never cared much the "Oilers" name either, but I sure hate seeing things like: Titans best ever player = Earl Campbell. That's just sick.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008   #95
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

There is no way in hell I would have followed a team called the Apollos or Wildcatters, those are Fantasy Football names for 7th grade nerds. "And the Apollos take Buzz Lightyear. Hey, pass the Pop Rocks and turn up the Jonas Brothers!"

I like the Texans name. Texans are unique, because Texas is unique. From a marketing standpoint, within the state, I think it will resonate once we start winning.
Old 08-22-2008   #96
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolaid Time View Post
One thing I don't understand..... Cleveland got to keep the "Browns" name/colors/logo after they were moved to Baltimore.

Harris County or the NFL should have made that sub-humanoid Bud Adams leave the name "Oilers" along with the logos, etc. with Houston as well when he left to go chase possums in Nashville.
I think Bud "owns" that name Oilers. I don't know the particulars but he didn't want to leave it. And ultimately I think it was probably best for Houston to start completely new with a new team, new name, logo, etc.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008   #97
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 269943 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
There is no way in hell I would have followed a team called the Apollos or Wildcatters, those are Fantasy Football names for 7th grade nerds. "And the Apollos take Buzz Lightyear. Hey, pass the Pop Rocks and turn up the Jonas Brothers!"

I like the Texans name. Texans are unique, because Texas is unique. From a marketing standpoint, within the state, I think it will resonate once we start winning.
I very much believe that McNair had an idea he wanted to call the team "Texans" long before the "finalists" were chosen. I think the other finalists were there to intentionally look bad next to "Texans" and make everyone happy that at least we didn't end up being Bobcats or Apollos.

Lets face it, most of those names weren't even good enough for Arena football. For a league that spends enormous amounts of money on it's image I can't imagine they came up with that garbage by accident.

In response to another poster who said they didn't understand why Cleveland pushed to keep the name and history of the Browns and we didn't I have to agree strongly. I think this is a perfect example of the lack of vision and failure to represent the city of Houston to their best ability that previous city and county leaders were guilty of. We had that fat old sack of crap right where we wanted him. We could have forced him to stay in Houston one more year and take a beating at the gate for every game but we didn't and instead we literally gave him a sweetheart deal to leave without extracting any real concessions from him. Getting the name and history should have been a no-brainer even if no future football team in Houston ever wanted to use it (though I would have liked to seen it used I freely admit). That wasn't the point anyway. The point was to not have Earl Campbell listed as the greatest Titan ever. The point was to make them start over from scratch and avoid this dual identity mess that has me looking under "Titans" whenever I go someplace and want to find old Oiler stuff.
Old 08-22-2008   #98
Dancerdog
Rookie

Rep Power: 9 Dancerdog was voted MVPDancerdog was voted MVPDancerdog was voted MVP

I can't come up with a better name for our team than "Texans". The colors are cool. The logo is cool. I'm a native Texan, born and raised in (dare I say it?) Pasadena. I live in Houston now, but I think "Texans" is a great name.
Dancerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008   #99
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grams View Post

It would also look like an erect p....

Houston Texians would have been cool too.
Old 08-22-2008   #100
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Getting the name and history should have been a no-brainer even if no future football team in Houston ever wanted to use it (though I would have liked to seen it used I freely admit). That wasn't the point anyway. The point was to not have Earl Campbell listed as the greatest Titan ever. The point was to make them start over from scratch and avoid this dual identity mess that has me looking under "Titans" whenever I go someplace and want to find old Oiler stuff.
It's one of the reasons why the thought of going to Canton has mixed feelings for me. Yeah, it would be great to see all that NFL history, but would make me throw up seeing Earl in the Titan part of the hall. Not to mention how sad that Houston Pro Football history has been reduced to probably some embarrassing stuff living in the hall--maybe a David Carr passing record or something else similarly stupid.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read