Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-21-2008   #61
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Do You Like the Name Texans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qman View Post
I like the Texans logo and name. I think most Cowboy Fans are just jealous they didn't think of it first.
well, kinda, they did. sorta.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #62
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 214275 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
I don't mind it but I would rather they had gone with the 'Apollos.' Would have fallen in line with the space themed teams in Houston.
I'm with you 1000% on that. This would make a great SAT question; "Alright class, which of these team names don't belong with the others...."

1. Astros
2. Comets
3. Rockets
4. Aeros
5. Texans

At least Oilers and Dynamo are energy related.
There are two things Houston is best known for, the Space biz and energy production (not necessarily in that order) and McNair goes with "Texans".

Oh well, whut's done is done....
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #63
Sideline
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 118 Sideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Sideline

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I'm with you 1000% on that. This would make a great SAT question; "Alright class, which of these team names don't belong with the others...."

1. Astros
2. Comets
3. Rockets
4. Aeros
5. Texans

At least Oilers and Dynamo are energy related.
There are two things Houston is best known for, the Space biz and energy production (not necessarily in that order) and McNair goes with "Texans".

Oh well, whut's done is done....
Got to agree It would of made sense yeah, however Houston is also known for being in Texas and being full of Texans..lol
Sideline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #64
sbalderrama

If we really wanted a Dallas rivalry we shoulda been the Houston Earps.

Old 08-21-2008   #65
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm 76Texan. Do I need to clarify my intention?
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #66
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

It's a good name.

/debate
Old 08-21-2008   #67
texanfreak
Rookie

Rep Power: 17 texanfreak is on the Hall of Fame Ballottexanfreak is on the Hall of Fame Ballottexanfreak is on the Hall of Fame Ballottexanfreak is on the Hall of Fame Ballottexanfreak is on the Hall of Fame Ballottexanfreak is on the Hall of Fame Ballottexanfreak is on the Hall of Fame Ballottexanfreak is on the Hall of Fame Ballot

[quote=KEYE SUX;978281]I think those cowgirl fans are just jealous.

yeah, I went to cowboyszone.com and one guy said their the only texans in texas.
texanfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-21-2008   #68
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

APOLLOS? no way
ATXtexanfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #69
euro-Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1542 euro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=Wolf;978259]I may be old school and it was the way I was raised before the "locust" invasion of the rest of the country moving into Texas..(not saying they are bad people, but the attitude in some of the places seem to have changed)

I was raised to be very proud of my state and probably more so than saying I am an American.. American is given, but I was raise where you weren't just American, but a Texan..

AMEN!
Old 08-21-2008   #70
euro-Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1542 euro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
Got to agree It would of made sense yeah, however Houston is also known for being in Texas and being full of Texans..lol
Maybe you should visit San Jacinto????
Old 08-21-2008   #71
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

Wildcatters would have been the best
LonerATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #72
A Texan
Veteran

You can look at my screen name and tell what side I'm on. I think one reason McNair reccommended Texans was because being originally from out of the state, he knew what a mystique it had for people in other states. I worked for several months in Michigan and they had a whole chain of restaurants there called "The Texan Family Restaurant" and a lot of the other restaurants had a Texas or Texan sandwich. I didn't like Apollos at all.
A Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #73
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 52700 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
Let me share a little story,

I was living in Oregon when Houston got a new team. I'm born and raised in Texas and had been living in Oregon for about a year. I absolutely loved it there, one of the most beautiful places on earth. But I couldn't get past the fact that it wasn't my home. When I came home to visit I went to a souvenier shop and bought one of those little 2" x 3" Texas flags and when I got back to Oregon I put it on my car. I was proud to be from Texas. I loved Oregon but I wasn't from there. I was from Texas. I would often meet people who would ask me about the sticker. They'd say things like "isn't that the Texas flag on your car?" or "I've never seen anyone with a flag of their state on their car."

You could travel all over this country and not find a single other state that is as recognized by it's "statehood" than Texas. New York is defined by it's metropolis New York City. California by L.A. and California girls, Floriday by, well, kind of by it's "limp" shape and Disneyworld, beaches etc.

More people recognize the state flag and the actual shape of this state than any other. Hands down.

To be Texan absolutely means something. It means something more than being from any other state in the nation. I would go so far as to say it is in fact the only state that could be recognized as being defined by it's existance as much as anything. Not by a major city or cities in our case, but by the state it self.

Being a "Texan" meant something to me, especially when I was living in another state. When our new name was selected I couldn't have been happier... the apallos? seriously, Toro's? is this area football?

I challenge you to consider what it would be like for the other teams in the leauge. There is only one team that makes sense:

Pittsburgh Pennsylvanians ?
Indianapolis Indianans?
Jacksonville Floridians?
New York New Yorkers
and the
Houston Texans

maybe it doesn't mean anything to you, but it does to me.
Great post!!!

And don't forget, Texas is the only state that was it's own country. Sometimes I wish it still was.

I didn't like any of the final 5 names. I think they were Bobcats, Apollos, Wildcatters, Texans, and I don't remember the last one, but I know I didn't like any of them.

I think I remember the Chronicle having a name contest or something. It wasn't to name the team but to get a feel or something. I remember throwing around Houston Tornadoes, were we'd have Tornado touchdowns. Probably a good thing I don't own the team.

Like a few others mentioned, I thought the name Texans was very unimaginative. But when they made the announcement downtown, and revealed the logo, and McNair gave his speech about why he went with Texans, what it meant to be a Texan, what the colors stood for, I thought, yeah, that makes sense.

As we got closer and closer to putting a team on the field, the name grew on me. 8 years later, I'm glad it's the Texans.

thatsbulltailgaters.net

Last edited by Speedy; 08-21-2008 at 07:22 PM.
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #74
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
I didn't like any of the final 5 names. I think they were Bobcats, Apollos, Wildcatters, Texans, and I don't remember the last one, but I know I didn't like any of them.
I think the last one was Stallions.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #75
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 52700 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
I think the last one was Stallions.
That was it! Stallions. Thanks TS.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #76
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 26409 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

It was Roustabouts right? I remember that one and was like "WTF"?
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #77
CTWade
Quack Attack

Rep Power: 14 CTWade could be on the next Madden coverCTWade could be on the next Madden coverCTWade could be on the next Madden coverCTWade could be on the next Madden coverCTWade could be on the next Madden coverCTWade could be on the next Madden cover

Of course someone from Dallas couldn't relate to the name Texans... it has to do with Texas after all.

Anyway, I'm guess I'm okay with the name. It has a history in pro sports, which is nice, and is a testament to our states ridiculously strong culture identity. But I rather have something space or oil related... I don't think Apollos would have worked, though. Too strongly related to Greek mythology. Houston Flares, Houston Roughnecks, maybe? I dunno.

I really wish we could have used Oilers and luv ya blue, though. Alas.
CTWade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #78
YellerLotYeller
nice marmot

Rep Power: 188 YellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respected

Great name.....very classic feel to it. The other suggestions back in "01 sounded like arena league crap.
YellerLotYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #79
Texan Asylum
Christian

Rep Power: 30085 Texan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellerLotYeller View Post
Great name.....very classic feel to it. The other suggestions back in "01 sounded like arena league crap.
My thoughts as well...
Old 08-21-2008   #80
jb66er
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
Let me share a little story,

I was living in Oregon when Houston got a new team. I'm born and raised in Texas and had been living in Oregon for about a year. I absolutely loved it there, one of the most beautiful places on earth. But I couldn't get past the fact that it wasn't my home. When I came home to visit I went to a souvenier shop and bought one of those little 2" x 3" Texas flags and when I got back to Oregon I put it on my car. I was proud to be from Texas. I loved Oregon but I wasn't from there. I was from Texas. I would often meet people who would ask me about the sticker. They'd say things like "isn't that the Texas flag on your car?" or "I've never seen anyone with a flag of their state on their car."

You could travel all over this country and not find a single other state that is as recognized by it's "statehood" than Texas. New York is defined by it's metropolis New York City. California by L.A. and California girls, Floriday by, well, kind of by it's "limp" shape and Disneyworld, beaches etc.

More people recognize the state flag and the actual shape of this state than any other. Hands down.

To be Texan absolutely means something. It means something more than being from any other state in the nation. I would go so far as to say it is in fact the only state that could be recognized as being defined by it's existance as much as anything. Not by a major city or cities in our case, but by the state it self.

Being a "Texan" meant something to me, especially when I was living in another state. When our new name was selected I couldn't have been happier... the apallos? seriously, Toro's? is this area football?

I challenge you to consider what it would be like for the other teams in the leauge. There is only one team that makes sense:

Pittsburgh Pennsylvanians ?
Indianapolis Indianans?
Jacksonville Floridians?
New York New Yorkers
and the
Houston Texans

maybe it doesn't mean anything to you, but it does to me.
AMEN!!

Sig by Lork88
jb66er is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read